Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33075 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2022, 02:15:30 AM »
I think it's more the "safe space" people.  Jordan Peterson has spoken about this, how the safe space people want to live in a world where no one ever says or does anything that makes them uncomfortable.   And I think for many, Twitter was a safe space, and now that Musk is turning it into Hell in a Cell where anything goes, some are uncomfortable because...*gasp"...they actually have to read opinions with which they do not agree. The horror. 

The idea of twitter of ever being a "safe space" (which incidentally just mean a place where oppressed minority groups could discuss things without being harassed by a hostile majority - a shocking concept) is rather antithetical to the experience shared by some in this thread that they would be exposed to people and ideas outside their immediate follow group. In any case, being exposed to "ideas" and being exposed to abuse and hate aren't the same thing, and in my experience its mostly the latter which people are complaining Musk opened the floodgates to, which would track with the fact he unbanned a significant number of people who were previously banned for targeted harassment and hate speech.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 02:34:27 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2022, 04:57:03 AM »
Pay money, gain ability to censor.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1603985491505795072

No way groups could abuse this.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2022, 11:22:04 AM »
Pay money, gain ability to censor.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1603985491505795072

No way groups could abuse this.

None whatsoever!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #458 on: December 18, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/TwitterSupport/status/1604531261791522817

So Twitter is quickly becoming the most censored mainstream platform in the West.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #459 on: December 18, 2022, 12:00:17 PM »
But of course it is lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #460 on: December 18, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/TwitterSupport/status/1604531261791522817

So Twitter is quickly becoming the most censored mainstream platform in the West.

Dumb policy is dumb.

But calling Twitter the most censored platform requires forgetting that Facebook (and its subsidiaries) and Youtube exist. Also requires forgetting what Twitter was like pre-Musk.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #461 on: December 18, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »
A lot know about the dumb suspensions I've had on Facebook. Never on Twitter. I agree with ReaP about Facebook being the worst.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #462 on: December 18, 2022, 03:32:43 PM »
A lot know about the dumb suspensions I've had on Facebook. Never on Twitter. I agree with ReaP about Facebook being the worst.

Just being a bit of a devil's advocate, but your FB issues were mostly the result of idiotic algorithms, and the platform being way to huge to personally see to each case. It seems that Twitter is specifically targeting groups to cultivate an environment that, I dunno, doesn't hurt Elon's feelings...I'm really not sure what the fuck they're doing, but there's a specific purpose as opposed to FB's general algorithm that makes sure you don't connect certain words in certain combinations...and this is coming from someone who got a week for posting "men are fucking idiots" (which is very true)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #463 on: December 18, 2022, 03:34:42 PM »

Just being a bit of a devil's advocate, but your FB issues were mostly the result of idiotic algorithms, and the platform being way to huge to personally see to each case. It seems that Twitter is specifically targeting groups to cultivate an environment that, I dunno, doesn't hurt Elon's feelings...I'm really not sure what the fuck they're doing, but there's a specific purpose as opposed to FB's general algorithm that makes sure you don't connect certain words in certain combinations...and this is coming from someone who got a week for posting "men are fucking idiots" (which is very true)

Something tells me if you would have posted "women are fucking idiots" on Twitter eight months ago, the ban hammer would have been quick and swift.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: December 18, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »

I posted just as silly on Twitter and haven't received one suspension. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #465 on: December 18, 2022, 04:29:34 PM »
Aaaaaand the no promotion rule has been (seemingly) rescinded and will be revised to only be spam of competitors.

Credit to Musk for changing course quickly.

But again, unforced error. I could have told you this was a bad idea.

I kind of wonder if this is intentional. If he came out with the reasonable rule first, there would be some small low-level of complaining for a while. Instead - roll out something obviously bad. Eat a bit of backlash. Move to something reasonable. People happy.

Bigger issue (regardless of if my conspiracy theory is true), I'm starting to see more middle-of-the-road tech people being unhappy with decisions like this. These people are Elon's core constituency of powerful/influential people.
Over and over again

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #466 on: December 18, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »
Musk put up a poll asking if he should step down. He claims he will abide by the results. Not going well for him at the moment. I voted to dump him.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #467 on: December 18, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »
Musk put up a poll asking if he should step down. He claims he will abide by the results. Not going well for him at the moment. I voted to dump him.

very normal way to run a business. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2022, 12:27:57 AM »
Guy's ego is probably suffering under the strain of all of the (justified) criticism.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #469 on: December 19, 2022, 07:14:39 AM »
So far he has abided by the poll results he's posted, right?

I am not optimistic he's going to bring in a great CEO. Twitter has really suffered from a lot of mismanagement (even before Musk) for years and it's going to take a hell of an effort to turn things around. My fear is he appoints one of his lackeys or someone worse. Who knows though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: December 19, 2022, 07:17:51 AM »

I am not optimistic he's going to bring in a great CEO. Twitter has really suffered from a lot of mismanagement (even before Musk) for years and it's going to take a hell of an effort to turn things around. My fear is he appoints one of his lackeys or someone worse. Who knows though.

I wonder who would want to work under him as a CEO though?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2022, 07:32:34 AM »

This is precisely what will happen. He will still make all the decisions but someone else will do all the hard lifting.

I wonder who would want to work under him as a CEO though?

There are probably tons of people who would love the job. As much as there seems to be a change in the working culture and the importance of work/life balance, there are still many people who would throw their mother under a bus if it landed them a big promotion.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #472 on: December 19, 2022, 09:40:23 AM »
The dude has managed to keep himself and his new purchase on page 1 of every news outlet for weeks now. I wish the media would stop covering him.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: December 19, 2022, 10:17:18 AM »

Also voted against him  :lol

In seriousness, the guy basically tore down twitter so letting someone else do the dirty work of cleaning up his mess makes some kind of sense.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #474 on: December 19, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »
The dude has managed to keep himself and his new purchase on page 1 of every news outlet for weeks now. I wish the media would stop covering him.

The media needs a Boogeymen. Elon is a godsend to the media just as Trump was.

It's also hilarious that people assumed he could run Twitter because he's a businessmen with a big company. It's like expecting an optometrist to perform gynecology procedures.

For me, I said..."well, I guess we'll see won't we." And grabbed my big bag of  :corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #475 on: December 19, 2022, 11:54:24 AM »
This isn't a response to Kev. It's to those complaining about seeing what they don't like on their Twitter feed.

I have no issues likecyou do so maybe you like the drama.

Well, that's me, then.  How is following Gene Simmons and Mike Portnoy part of my problem?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: December 19, 2022, 11:56:33 AM »
I think it's more the "safe space" people.  Jordan Peterson has spoken about this, how the safe space people want to live in a world where no one ever says or does anything that makes them uncomfortable.   And I think for many, Twitter was a safe space, and now that Musk is turning it into Hell in a Cell where anything goes, some are uncomfortable because...*gasp"...they actually have to read opinions with which they do not agree. The horror. 

The idea of twitter of ever being a "safe space" (which incidentally just mean a place where oppressed minority groups could discuss things without being harassed by a hostile majority - a shocking concept) is rather antithetical to the experience shared by some in this thread that they would be exposed to people and ideas outside their immediate follow group. In any case, being exposed to "ideas" and being exposed to abuse and hate aren't the same thing, and in my experience its mostly the latter which people are complaining Musk opened the floodgates to, which would track with the fact he unbanned a significant number of people who were previously banned for targeted harassment and hate speech.

Oh, the irony of that statement...

(Though the kerfuffle at Yale over the Halloween costumes put paid to THAT definition; it was very, very clearly to mean the definition that KevShmev gave.  That's been well-documented.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: December 19, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

Something tells me if you would have posted "women are fucking idiots" on Twitter eight months ago, the ban hammer would have been quick and swift.

Truth; the only people you could call "fucking idiots" were Republicans.  ;)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #478 on: December 19, 2022, 12:35:54 PM »
Well I just searched the phrase on twitter (in exact quotes) and got a tonne of posts from thoroughly unsuspended accounts. So that was a quite easily disproved hypothesis.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #479 on: December 19, 2022, 12:36:36 PM »

What's ironic about it?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: December 19, 2022, 12:41:33 PM »

What's ironic about it?

Well, the pages and pages of discussion we've had about cancel culture and the notions of "free speech".   "Safe spaces" should apply to ANYONE that has a legitimate (in terms of intentions) idea, not just "oppressed minorities".   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: December 19, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »

(Though the kerfuffle at Yale over the Halloween costumes put paid to THAT definition; it was very, very clearly to mean the definition that KevShmev gave.  That's been well-documented.)

Exactly, and it is intellectually dishonest for anyone to say otherwise, but it's a lot easier for some to virtue signal and imply that I was saying it should be okay to call minorities names than to face reality.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #482 on: December 19, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »
Well, the pages and pages of discussion we've had about cancel culture and the notions of "free speech".   "Safe spaces" should apply to ANYONE that has a legitimate (in terms of intentions) idea, not just "oppressed minorities".   

Ideas with mainstream acceptance generally didn't NEED space spaces because there's minimal risk to either your safety or social standing by expressing them.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
Exactly, and it is intellectually dishonest for anyone to say otherwise, but it's a lot easier for some to virtue signal and imply that I was saying it should be okay to call minorities names than to face reality.

I never did that Kev. In any case, I will say that leftist concepts and technical language being co-opted and used to describe a much broader range of things is a tactic used by right wing propaganda outfits in a deliberate attempt to muddy and discredit the concepts, so I think its important to distinguish what these terms originally meant, rather than what the Petersons, Jones' and the like wished it meant.

EDIT: Further discussion stemming from this reply has been moved over to its own thread in P/R. Please move discussion over there.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57987.0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:40:05 AM by XJDenton »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #484 on: December 19, 2022, 02:48:45 PM »

Truth; the only people you could call "fucking idiots" were Republicans.  ;)

I know peeps that have gotten FB jail time for just that.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: December 20, 2022, 04:05:45 AM »

Vox populi ingressum feudum habet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: December 20, 2022, 07:20:29 AM »
It's easy to point out the other sides bad behavior.  Seeing that both sides are wrong and needs to come to an understanding is the part that should be done but I'm pessimistic that it will happen.  The benefits would be bountiful. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #487 on: December 20, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
Lost in the hub bub of everyone piling on Musk for this or that are all of the revelations of how Twitter was without a doubt an extension of the Democratic party and entities of our government like the FBI that were paying and directing Twitter to suppress information and pimp their agenda. That cannot be argued to the contrary given what is being revealed.

You can make arguments against Musk and dislike his methods or ideology but the 'crickets' from the rest of the media outlets surrounding everything that's coming to light is telling. Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and all of these revelations were concerning 'conservative' or 'repub' entities. It'd be an onslaught and media frenzy. Musk bought Twitter and yanked down the curtain and it's been non stop criticism of how he yanked the curtain down and nothing about what was behind it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #488 on: December 20, 2022, 10:31:06 AM »
Lost in the hub bub of everyone piling on Musk for this or that are all of the revelations of how Twitter was without a doubt an extension of the Democratic party and entities of our government like the FBI that were paying and directing Twitter to suppress information and pimp their agenda. That cannot be argued to the contrary given what is being revealed.

You can make arguments against Musk and dislike his methods or ideology but the 'crickets' from the rest of the media outlets surrounding everything that's coming to light is telling. Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and all of these revelations were concerning 'conservative' or 'repub' entities. It'd be an onslaught and media frenzy. Musk bought Twitter and yanked down the curtain and it's been non stop criticism of how he yanked the curtain down and nothing about what was behind it.

I'm failing to see how Twitter was "without a doubt" and "extension of the Democratic party".
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #489 on: December 20, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
And also very much not a topic for P/R. I moved the discussion with regards to recuperation to a new thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57987.0

Stads, I will reply over there at some point.