Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33545 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2022, 12:14:58 PM »
I object because the comment is almost blaming those of us who do not watch the WNBA (see: most Americans) for her being arrested, meaning she had to go to Russia to play because we all suck and do not support their league. 
That is not at all how I interpreted it, but if it's how you did I can't fault you for that. I can merely point out that there are other interpretations. In my case I saw it as an indictment America's work culture and fetish. "Work or die, and if one job's not enough work as many as necessary to get by. Work builds character!" You might not, but that's an interpretation I agree with.

I don't disagree that they shouldn't be paid like NBA players. I'm only suggesting that "they have to go and play in Russia to put food on the table" isn't an invalid criticism because it's true. I suppose they could flip burgers in their off-time, but that's hardly a better scenario.

C'mon; a WNBA player - that is, a woman who performed at a high level for a local professional team or a local collegiate team - does not have to "go to Russia" or "flip burgers" to achieve a decent, "living" wage.  Sue Bird has a job in Connecticut for the rest of her life.
I posted that before it was pointed out what they actually make. I suppose I should have looked it up first, my bad, but it was also in reference to the way I see America's values insofar as work and survival go, which was my greater point (and one I stand by).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
I object because the comment is almost blaming those of us who do not watch the WNBA (see: most Americans) for her being arrested, meaning she had to go to Russia to play because we all suck and do not support their league. 
That is not at all how I interpreted it, but if it's how you did I can't fault you for that. I can merely point out that there are other interpretations. In my case I saw it as an indictment America's work culture and fetish. "Work or die, and if one job's not enough work as many as necessary to get by. Work builds character!" You might not, but that's an interpretation I agree with.

I don't disagree that they shouldn't be paid like NBA players. I'm only suggesting that "they have to go and play in Russia to put food on the table" isn't an invalid criticism because it's true. I suppose they could flip burgers in their off-time, but that's hardly a better scenario.

C'mon; a WNBA player - that is, a woman who performed at a high level for a local professional team or a local collegiate team - does not have to "go to Russia" or "flip burgers" to achieve a decent, "living" wage.  Sue Bird has a job in Connecticut for the rest of her life.
I posted that before it was pointed out what they actually make. I suppose I should have looked it up first, my bad, but it was also in reference to the way I see America's values insofar as work and survival go, which was my greater point (and one I stand by).

I didn't mean to pound you so hard there, sorry!  But even if they weren't making $100k, even if they were making far less, at least here in CT, those players that excelled at Uconn get perks that make salary an inconsistent measure.  I make more than an average WNBA player, but before I moved last year, I lived in a town with a former star Uconn women's player, and she's not hurting for opportunity (not to mention the perks I've personally seen her get in local establishments).  Now where I am, I'm just over the border from the home town of another former Uconn women's program star and again, she's not hurting for opportunity.  Even the players that didn't make a national splash, they have name recognition and opportunities that result from that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »
I will reiterate that I am glad she is coming home, but I just think there are many layers to this.
I get that and I'm not trying to give you grief about it. It's just that as you said there are many layers to this, and when that's the case people being so opinionated tends to set off alarm bells in my head. I suppose the more complex the situation is the less it lends itself to reasonable outrage.

Perhaps. I just face palm at the reactions. The people who wanted her to be stuck in Russia to suffer in prison for nine years are gross, and the people who assume anyone who isn't wanting to throw a parade for this deal is "insert your favorite -ism" are gross as well.  I know, I know, it's a small minority on each side, but they make the most noise, and it's frustrating as hell.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2022, 02:08:06 PM »
While I've disagreed with Barto on this particular topic, I agree with where his head is at.

I say this as someone who's had a lot of unreasonable opinions - There is some kind of (metaphorical) virus or (metaphorical) demonic possession in the air that is turning into NPCs. As someone who's seen multiple people in my personal life fall victim to it, I understand the paranoia about making sure other people aren't infected.

Worse, whatever the disease is, I've never seen anyone get better once infected. It can be only managed or progress further.

I say this without any irony - When a bunch of my friends started getting the NPC virus, I was bad about being a real life hot take machine (and still can't help myself sometimes) and my life was still screwed up. Nobody would have (or should have) taken life advice from me. I wish I was in a place in my life where I could have told them to stop going down that road and they would have listened. People make their own choices, but I still feel like I failed.

The worst part is, I still don't know what to tell people. I am but an eternal contrarian. When the culture shifts and people get more level-headed (this stuff goes in cycles), I'll be the one accusing everyone of a lack of conviction. We all have our own curses.

But my bigger point is that, whatever else, screening for and trying to slow the spread of the NPC virus is imperative, even if it's annoying sometimes.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2022, 02:39:13 PM »
NPC virus, eh? That's a pretty good way to look at it. People really do seem to be turning into the automatons they're being programed to be.

Personally, I blame capitalism and democracy, but that's probably a subject for a different thread--I don't want to make XJD cry. I will say, though, that it's not a new disease. It's just spiraling out of control as the methods of spreading it become far more effective.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2022, 04:05:11 PM »
Hey, if you know me you know I'm always happy to blame capitalism. But yes, this thread has veered quite far into P/R territory now. I think any further discussion of the Prisoner exchange situation would be served best having its own thread over there.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #356 on: December 11, 2022, 10:43:35 AM »
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601894132573605888?s=46&t=aPmpwiNPoT4ZycUOCo-wBA

This is so pathetic and cringe, just the most basic maga shit post.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #357 on: December 11, 2022, 10:51:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601894132573605888?s=46&t=aPmpwiNPoT4ZycUOCo-wBA

But yet, people just can't ignore it and scroll past it. People just have to also express their feelings.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: December 12, 2022, 07:23:11 AM »

But yet, people just can't ignore it and scroll past it. People just have to also express their feelings.

And as you noted, they don't.  "I'm leaving Twitter" is turning into the 2022/2023 version of the '90s empty liberal threat to "move to Canada" if [insert end of democracy candidate is elected].

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #359 on: December 12, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
Never been on Twitter; always lived in Canada.  Suck it you spineless US Liberals. :P

But yeah... that veiled threat of moving to Canada is such BS.  As soon as people see the tax rates, they usually stop thinking about it.  If the Trump era and abolishment of Roe-v-Wade didn't case even a tiny spike in US relocation, I don't see anything will.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2022, 08:40:05 AM »
Never been on Twitter; always lived in Canada.  Suck it you spineless US Liberals. :P

But yeah... that veiled threat of moving to Canada is such BS.  As soon as people see the tax rates, they usually stop thinking about it.  If the Trump era and abolishment of Roe-v-Wade didn't case even a tiny spike in US relocation, I don't see anything will.

We've been hearing that for decades; I can remember it since at least the first Iraq War, which was 1990.  I'm pretty sure Alec Baldwin threatens it once a year just to stay fresh!  (I'm joking here; I actually really like Alec Baldwin, for all his troubles and turmoils).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2022, 08:52:02 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but a fair few people I follow(ed) did actually follow through on deactivating or abandoning their accounts. I agree about the threats to emigrate to Canada though. In any case, having even the option to try emigrating is a privilege those most affected by shitty policies can seldom afford.

Musk's comments are unfortunately increasingly on-brand for him.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2022, 09:40:13 AM »

Balking at the tax rate doesn't make much sense. I suppose if your job pays for your insurance than it would, but for me it might well be a tax break. In any case, some people did follow through. My stebrother packed up and moved to Argentina when Dumbass got appointed president. Loved it down there. When things started to turn he moved to Spain.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2022, 09:42:30 AM »
  "I'm leaving Twitter" is turning into the 2022/2023 version of the '90s empty liberal threat to "move to Canada" if [insert end of democracy candidate is elected].

I get what you mean, but I don't have an issue with celebs announcing they are leaving Twitter.  Elton John, who has over a million followers, did it, and if he just left and didn't say anything, many of his followers would wonder where he went.  When you have that many followers, it feels like a courtesy to make the announcement, the reasons notwithstanding.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2022, 09:45:53 AM »

Balking at the tax rate doesn't make much sense. I suppose if your job pays for your insurance than it would, but for me it might well be a tax break. In any case, some people did follow through. My stebrother packed up and moved to Argentina when Dumbass got appointed president. Loved it down there. When things started to turn he moved to Spain.

I envy the folks with the guys and ability to make those big moves like that. Can't imagine doing it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2022, 02:48:12 PM »
  "I'm leaving Twitter" is turning into the 2022/2023 version of the '90s empty liberal threat to "move to Canada" if [insert end of democracy candidate is elected].

I get what you mean, but I don't have an issue with celebs announcing they are leaving Twitter.  Elton John, who has over a million followers, did it, and if he just left and didn't say anything, many of his followers would wonder where he went.  When you have that many followers, it feels like a courtesy to make the announcement, the reasons notwithstanding.

Well, like XJ alluded to, I was talking about the actual doing it.  Whether they announce it or not, as long as they follow through, it's fine with me.  I agree, it would be odd if Elton didn't say ANYTHING, and he has enough class and balls (and clout) to actually do it.  There are, I predict, a ton of B-, C-, and D-list celebrities that are going to make a big stink about leaving and then... up their post count.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2022, 03:09:25 PM »
I guess some people are waiting to see which way the wind is blowing. Be interesting to see how apple responds to the deliberate price disparity of Twitter Blue.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2022, 05:55:04 PM »
I guess some people are waiting to see which way the wind is blowing. Be interesting to see how apple responds to the deliberate price disparity of Twitter Blue.

This is where I am, although Musk seems to have gone full blown Q. I changed some preferences on my account which stopped the promoted tweets and stuff as I was getting a lot of garbage. I blocked Musk outright and keep blocking en masse when I check some of the trending topics. Honestly, I don't know why I'm still there. It's like the morbid thing of watching the house burn down but you can't look away.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #368 on: December 12, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »
I stayed away from reading retweets and likes long ago and had my browser set up (can't recall how) where the tweets from people I follow is in one separate timeline and the retweets and likes are in a separate timeline in which I never have to visit.  I think this has helped me a lot in not getting angry on Twitter as much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: December 12, 2022, 07:14:48 PM »

Well, like XJ alluded to, I was talking about the actual doing it.  Whether they announce it or not, as long as they follow through, it's fine with me.  I agree, it would be odd if Elton didn't say ANYTHING, and he has enough class and balls (and clout) to actually do it.  There are, I predict, a ton of B-, C-, and D-list celebrities that are going to make a big stink about leaving and then... up their post count.

Probably true.   I think the ones who are likely to actually leave are the ones who will do so quietly.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2022, 12:26:36 AM »

As someone who is from Argentina that decision baffles me  :lol. I can, however, understand the move to Spain since I went that route earlier this year.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2022, 08:29:53 AM »

As someone who is from Argentina that decision baffles me  :lol. I can, however, understand the move to Spain since I went that route earlier this year.
Would it have baffled you in 2001? At the time it worked quite well for him. Seems to me his biggest attribute is being able to see which way the tide is turning. He bailed at both of the right times.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: December 15, 2022, 03:43:03 AM »
https://me.mashable.com/tech/23050/after-suspending-the-twitter-profile-that-tracks-his-private-jet-elon-musk-is-no

Funny how the people who cry loudest about free speech seem to change their tune when that speech affects them.

Offline emtee

« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2022, 05:37:57 AM »
https://me.mashable.com/tech/23050/after-suspending-the-twitter-profile-that-tracks-his-private-jet-elon-musk-is-no

Funny how the people who cry loudest about free speech seem to change their tune when that speech affects them.

My take is a bit different. This is more of a safety concern that potentially impacts more people than just Musk. Pilot(s), other passengers for instance. There's a lot of nut jobs in this world, some who are deranged enough to pull out a rifle and try to put a few 30.06 rounds into a fuselage of a jet. I have to give him a pass on this one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2022, 05:45:24 AM »
1. The flight information is publicly available. Flightrader24 and the like can track flight paths by the minute.
2. He said mere weeks ago he wasn't going to ban accounts like this, and has unbanned a lot of people who were previously banned for hate speech/doxxing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2022, 05:55:59 AM »
Flight tracker does you no good unless you know Musk is on the plane. Pretty sure that is high security guarded info.

You're free to your take. I'm sticking with mine 😀.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2022, 06:37:10 AM »
Isn't it easily trackable because it is his private jet, for his own personal usage, which is registered? The 19 year old does not have secret access or anything.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2022, 06:56:52 AM »
Curious to what degree that goes.

If I were to tweet "YO! As of 1:34PM PCT, Jennifer Lopez is eating at McDonalds on Wilshire and blah blah" would that be deleted?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2022, 06:59:54 AM »
According to the tweet this guy responded to, if it were close to 1:34, then yes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2022, 07:15:16 AM »
Fair enough. Glad he's consistent at least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2022, 07:43:07 AM »
I wonder how many people caught the details on that map?  "Epstein Island". 

Offline Adami

« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »

12 trips.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: December 15, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »

12 trips.

I'm no fan of Musk - no hater either; indifferent - but it's really getting ridiculous how vindictive and black/white people are.  You're either a saint, can do no wrong, or, once a line is crossed, there's no evil you won't perpetrate, no failure you're not capable of achieving.  Don't any of these people have their own quirks, failures, blind spots?