Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33727 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2022, 09:59:44 AM »
You think if a change in twitter's code lead to the site being down, that the employees should just go home and wait until their next shift to fix it?  That's not on management.

No, I think there should be OTHER people to replace them and do the fixes. Understaffing, or having a single point of failure (i.e. only "that guy" can solve the problem) is, for organisations above a certain size, bad management.

We are talking scenarios where it's already all hands on deck.  And it's not really possible to have extra employees on standby just for these situations. I've experienced it so often across different companies where there's major upgrades happening and it requires the entire IT department to be on hand.  It's not a single point of failure or understaffing.  It's simply working through the issues which takes time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »
Get ready for the shitshow today on Twitter and all social medias. Brittney Griner swapped with Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

Yeah it's fucked. Actually left the non criminal stuck there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »
Then what happens when you can't staff correctly because you're short staffed due to people not wanting to do these jobs?

You raise your wages.

Do you really think it's that simple?

You think if a change in twitter's code lead to the site being down, that the employees should just go home and wait until their next shift to fix it?  That's not on management.

No, I think there should be OTHER people to replace them and do the fixes. Understaffing, or having a single point of failure (i.e. only "that guy" can solve the problem) is, for organisations above a certain size, bad management.

And where would we find these OTHER people if they're already short staffed to begin with? Especially if people are not wanting to work these jobs.

With regards to fast food. I say this as well, and tell my coworkers, if people are not wanting to work these jobs. Then they better not complain when it takes longer to get their food, or if their food doesn't come out correctly because we have people training and do not have a strong work ethic to get shit right.

You should see some of the jobs on the products we receive, I tell my coworkers, "Looks like Bob pushed the wrong button again". We have had bags of Tenders that look like Nuggets, and Boneless Wings that look like tenders. Not to mention the awesome tape job of the boxes we receive where some weren't even sealed completely.

That's why I say, if humans desire things and want things, humans have to work for it. But if no one wants to put in the work, what do you expect the end results to be?

No matter what we do, humans will always have to put in work.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
Get ready for the shitshow today on Twitter and all social medias. Brittney Griner swapped with Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

I'm glad she's out.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
We are talking scenarios where it's already all hands on deck.  And it's not really possible to have extra employees on standby just for these situations.

Why not?

I've experienced it so often across different companies where there's major upgrades happening and it requires the entire IT department to be on hand.

And why does it take the entire department? Or are you telling me its impossible to plan a code update such that it can be handled by a smaller team over a longer time?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »

Yeah it's fucked. Actually left the non criminal stuck there.

I do hope Americans are now aware of other nations sovereignty and to respect their culture, which includes the laws and customs of the people.

It's the same as if you were to visit my Tribe, One such rule is no pictures, and if you do, prepare to have your camera confiscated. This includes using your phone camera.

Also, Russia isn't stupid enough to release their prisoner who is held on Espionage. Compared to someone who is a prisoner for a plant. Who really got what they wanted?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2022, 10:14:35 AM »
Then what happens when you can't staff correctly because you're short staffed due to people not wanting to do these jobs?

You raise your wages.

Do you really think it's that simple?

In the liberal fantasy world where money grows on trees, sure.  In the real world, with budgets, and accountability, and what not, no.  Not even close.

I'm kidding, sort of, but no, it's not at all that simple.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
If money doesn't grow on trees, why do banks have so many branches?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2022, 10:19:53 AM »

Well played, my friend.  Well played.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2022, 10:20:46 AM »
We are talking scenarios where it's already all hands on deck.  And it's not really possible to have extra employees on standby just for these situations.

Why not?

I've experienced it so often across different companies where there's major upgrades happening and it requires the entire IT department to be on hand.

And why does it take the entire department? Or are you telling me its impossible to plan a code update such that it can be handled by a smaller team over a longer time?

I think the point is, there isn't always that "longer time".   Managing irregular demand for a service industry - and in this case, Marc is a service industry to his organization - has been a problem for management since day one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2022, 10:25:56 AM »

Thank you, I'll be here all evening!

As to a more serious reply though, if you are a business who can not find employees at current wage offerings, what other knobs do you have to turn other than raising compensation? Or shuttering, obviously.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »

Thank you, I'll be here all evening!

As to a more serious reply though, if you are a business who can not find employees at current wage offerings, what other knobs do you have to turn other than raising compensation? Or shuttering, obviously.

Improve your efficiency, automate (where you can), outsource, relocate.  All those cost money too, but they are in different accounting buckets and so have different impacts to the reported numbers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2022, 10:29:49 AM »

Why not?

It just doesn't make business sense.  Maybe if we are talking low skill work where I can pull someone off the street to be standby.  But when you are talking about specialized work, you don't really have options that make any sense.  You can find consultants, but to train them and pay them just to be an extra hand one time?  Doesn't make any sense.

We actually had a major outage at work a few weeks ago, it didn't impact me and I don't know the exact details of what happened, but it caused a large amount of people to work the entire weekend to fix it.  The Monday morning after, management put a full out stop to all work going on until that situation was figured out (root cause analysis) and people could get some rest from working the weekend.  These are situations where management can help, but management can't predict all failure scenarios and certainly can't just find someone to fix them on the spot besides the current employees. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #258 on: December 08, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »

I'm glad she's out.

Same. Was it a good deal? Of course not, it's Russia. Sounds like Whelan wasn't an option in any way, shape or form. I think when the alternative was to let her suffer and die in a Russian prison, they did the right thing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #259 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »
This country is so divided that this definitely will cause a bigger riff. Lucky for me, I'll just scroll on by.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2022, 11:58:58 AM »

Why not?

It just doesn't make business sense.  Maybe if we are talking low skill work where I can pull someone off the street to be standby.  But when you are talking about specialized work, you don't really have options that make any sense.  You can find consultants, but to train them and pay them just to be an extra hand one time?  Doesn't make any sense.

We actually had a major outage at work a few weeks ago, it didn't impact me and I don't know the exact details of what happened, but it caused a large amount of people to work the entire weekend to fix it.  The Monday morning after, management put a full out stop to all work going on until that situation was figured out (root cause analysis) and people could get some rest from working the weekend.  These are situations where management can help, but management can't predict all failure scenarios and certainly can't just find someone to fix them on the spot besides the current employees.

Marc's right about this and this is (partly) what I meant when I said it's impossible and impractical to make a corporation accommodate 10,000 different attitudes as to "work/life balance".   If a mission critical job takes 1, 5, or 10 more hours to complete, and one employee says "sorry, it's 4:59 and I'm done at 5:00", that shouldn't automatically require the company to assume all the expenses of bringing on a temp, training them, insuring them, etc. in order to accommodate that one employee.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »
This country is so divided that this definitely will cause a bigger riff. Lucky for me, I'll just scroll on by.

It's certainly a struggle to decode.  I mean, whether she thought that was "minor transgression" or not, it's not her call.  As a human, I'm glad she's home, but I'm not a very sympathetic consumer here.  Look at all the time, effort, money, and political good will that was consumed because - and this is just one side of the argument, I know - she felt entitled to her cannabis. 

It's interesting that one thing Griner, Bout, and Whelan all have in common is that they are innocent and victims of "sham prosecutions". 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2022, 12:14:19 PM »
I think the biggest sham here is the hoops we jumped through, and the resources we spent to free this individual, when the substance she was arrested for is still a schedule 1 narcotic in this country. This is a huge slap in the face to anyone currently in jail for cannabis, or in debt because of legal fees associated with a cannabis case, or didn't get/apply for a job because they're a cannabis user.   

We moved mountains to bring this woman home over a substance that's still being used to ruin people's lives here. It's a crock of shit if you ask me. She's going to come home and be free to do whatever she wants, and she'll probably make a shitload of money in the process. I don't have a problem with us getting her back, but where's the urgency here in righting our wrongs?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 12:20:39 PM by Chino »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »
I think the biggest sham here is the hoops we jumped through, and the resources we spent to free this individual, when the substance she was arrested for is still a schedule 1 narcotic in this country. This is a huge slap in the face to anyone currently in jail for cannabis, or in debt because of legal fees associated with a cannabis case, or didn't get/apply for a job because they're a cannabis user.   

We moved mountains to bring this woman home over a substance that's still being used to ruin people's lives here. It's a crock of shit if you ask me. She's going to come home and be free to do whatever she wants, and she'll probably make a shitload of money in the process. I don't have a problem with us getting her back, but where's the urgency here in righting our wrongs?

Generally people are in jail because they broke a law, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2022, 12:28:52 PM »
Yeah...I don't think this is a 'win' at all for this Administration. It's just another example of their ineptitude and weakness IMO but I'm not going to sit here and argue about it because it's not surprising and right in line with what you should expect from them. It's a joke that we freed a sinister criminal who was and probably still is heavily motivated to do all he can to kill Americans or make sure they can be killed for a 'celebrity' who thought she was above the law and got caught.

Not to mention Brian's point. She's going to be hailed as an F'n hero as she comes home....what a joke.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2022, 12:30:05 PM »
I feel the same as some here, I'm happy she's back from a humane perspective.  For one, I don't think anyone should be locked up for simple marijuana possession, let alone do hard labor for 10 years.  But I also don't think it's fair to let her go free when we gave up someone far worse and we have our own problems back home.  It's a political chess move that Russia won IMO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2022, 12:33:28 PM »

Generally people are in jail because they broke a law, no?

Yes.  I think what Chino is saying is that there seems to be difference standards for different people.  I think Brian and I might differ slightly on what that means* but the point is, there are people in jail here in the States for exactly what Britany Griner did, and she's going to be - like Gary said - hailed as a hero upon her arrival whereas those others are... right exactly where they started. 

* Even though I'm for the legalization of weed, when these people acted it was illegal and they knew that and should bear the consequences.  This isn't about whether weed should be legal or not, but whether these people believe they are above the law or not, and whether these people, when faced with a law, were going to comply or not based on their own precious opinions.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2022, 12:35:31 PM »
I feel the same as some here, I'm happy she's back from a humane perspective.  For one, I don't think anyone should be locked up for simple marijuana possession, let alone do hard labor for 10 years. But I also don't think it's fair to let her go free when we gave up someone far worse and we have our own problems back home.  It's a political chess move that Russia won IMO.

100% agree with the bolded. I've watched enough episodes of 'Locked Up Abroad' to know that you don't want to break another countries drug law though....and....that's what she did.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »
What's the alternative? Let her do 10 years of forced labour on general principle? We know she broke the law, and I know the American mantra is play stupid games. . . but this wasn't even a fair application of Russian law.

Also, I'm not sure we should dismiss the possibility that the guy we released dies in a mysterious boat explosion six months from now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2022, 01:00:08 PM »
What's the alternative? Let her do 10 years of forced labour on general principle? We know she broke the law, and I know the American mantra is play stupid games. . . but this wasn't even a fair application of Russian law.

Also, I'm not sure we should dismiss the possibility that the guy we released dies in a mysterious boat explosion six months from now.

It's certainly not fair, but sadly, I think yes, that or a better trade deal.  I definitely have sympathy for her, but I don't like the way Russia worked us here.  Also, if we are going to play the future possibilities, you can't rule out this guy is involved in something that results in innocent lives lost either and I see that more likely than him being offed.  I say that because you know that if he ends up being involved in something, it's going to tear people apart here in the US on this issue and that's exactly what Russia wants.

Offline emtee

« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2022, 01:07:41 PM »

More likely, drafted into military service and freezes to death in January.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2022, 01:08:28 PM »

That'd be fine and all but this was a completely lopsided 'trade'. Not even in the same realm. If you ask me it was a failure up front for the US to allow Russia to even get to the point of holding her trial...much less sentencing her to what they did. But the 'trade' is a joke plain and simple....if it took her spending another 6 months or year in jail in order to get an even swap of some sort then whatever. But I don't see how this can be considered a 'win' by any means for the US or this administration.

I'm sure we will hear how great they are though for the next couple weeks leading into the inevitable softball 48 Hour interview with her and her wife.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2022, 01:15:39 PM »

It's certainly not fair, but sadly, I think yes, that or a better trade deal.  I definitely have sympathy for her, but I don't like the way Russia worked us here.  Also, if we are going to play the future possibilities, you can't rule out this guy is involved in something that results in innocent lives lost either and I see that more likely than him being offed.  I say that because you know that if he ends up being involved in something, it's going to tear people apart here in the US on this issue and that's exactly what Russia wants.
You don't think we've 'worked' Russia a time or two ourselves with this sort of thing? These swaps happen regularly enough, and it's come to be seen as a game of sorts. You win some, you lose some.

And honest question here, do any of the people outraged by this even know if her counterpart was being held here fairly? Do we know if he was actually guilty of anything? It's not like we have a great track record when it comes to arresting foreign nationals, after all. Again, part of the game. I really don't know, myself, but I'm not sure as anybody's actually looked into the circumstances of his imprisonment before rushing out to rage about how humiliating this whole thing is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2022, 01:30:40 PM »
For one, I personally am not outraged.  I think the deal isn't good is all. It doesn't impact my life.  And I have no idea if either party was rightfully detained here.  Can you name me an example where the US came out the winner of such a trade though?  It may make me think differently here as I'm sure you are right that it's not always a win or loss, but a trade off over time. Just seems like we got worked on this one and it also seems like it wasn't even a negotiation if Whalen was always off the table.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2022, 01:35:02 PM »
Russia is not stupid.

Because of an American making a stupid accidental mistake and disregarding exactly where she was going, disregarding the cultural laws of Russia, this was the perfect hostage they needed to assert a trade deal.

I like how the White House thought they would get the marine too. Russia is like, fuck no, we're not dumbasses like you.

Also, Nationalism is a big thing to consider when dealing with POWs, such as if their nationalism is almost religious, they will fight to the death for their nation. It's why I see America's
lack of Nationalism quite troubling.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2022, 01:37:38 PM »

You don't think we've 'worked' Russia a time or two ourselves with this sort of thing? These swaps happen regularly enough, and it's come to be seen as a game of sorts. You win some, you lose some.

And honest question here, do any of the people outraged by this even know if her counterpart was being held here fairly? Do we know if he was actually guilty of anything? It's not like we have a great track record when it comes to arresting foreign nationals, after all. Again, part of the game. I really don't know, myself, but I'm not sure as anybody's actually looked into the circumstances of his imprisonment before rushing out to rage about how humiliating this whole thing is.

This was where I was going when I said "one thing they all have in common...".

I would also offer that it's a bad assumption to assume that we, the people, have all the information necessary to make an informed decision here.  It's a game between countries to be sure, but I would venture to say it's also a game with respect to playing to the sympathies of the constituents.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2022, 01:38:35 PM »
For one, I personally am not outraged.
Didn't mean to suggest you were.

I think the deal isn't good is all. It doesn't impact my life.  And I have no idea if either party was rightfully detained here.  Can you name me an example where the US came out the winner of such a trade though?  It may make me think differently here as I'm sure you are right that it's not always a win or loss, but a trade off over time. Just seems like we got worked on this one and it also seems like it wasn't even a negotiation if Whalen was always off the table.

Nope. It goes without saying that these things being made public is the exception, not the rule. To be honest, I've kind of just assumed that all countries occasionally nab foreign nationals from time to time on trumped up charges just to keep around for leverage when needed.

I also don't know if Bout was busted fairly or not. I see that he was nabbed in a US led sting operation, and quite frankly I'm more than a little put off at how we handle those things. Like I said, not the best track record. In any case the dude did just about half of his 25 year sentence. I'm not really apt to call this a win or a loss, nor do I think they're really applicable.

Something else I think needs consideration is that Griner was never going to do 10 years of hard labor. She was going to hang herself, die from her own hunger strike, or get shanked. She was only useful so long as she was a bargaining chip, and after that she's not.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
Something else I think needs consideration is that Griner was never going to do 10 years of hard labor. She was going to hang herself, die from her own hunger strike, or get shanked. She was only useful so long as she was a bargaining chip, and after that she's not.

I was curious what the penal colonies were like, ended up reading some article last week, it actually stated that since she was a high value prisoner, she likely was not going to get the typical brutal treatment from other inmates/guards that you would expect from someone like her (african america, homosexual). I mean, who knows, but I'm not entirely sure she wouldn't of survived 10 years (but like you said, it also depends if her status were to change due to political situations).  It's almost impossible to tell, and really, hard to find a lot of details of what even goes on there. I'll be interested in what she has to say about her experience, that's for sure.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2022, 02:00:55 PM »
I would also offer that it's a bad assumption to assume that we, the people, have all the information necessary to make an informed decision here.  It's a game between countries to be sure, but I would venture to say it's also a game with respect to playing to the sympathies of the constituents.
And that is the only aspect that we could reasonably call a win/loss. It has nothing to do with the value of the respective chips on the table. Those are a wash in the big picture. It has to do with making half of the country think that America and/or Biden lost the game, while it's still going on, and in actuality will never end. Somehow I seriously doubt that Putin cares about Bout. I doubt he cares what Bout might do in the future. I think he cares a great deal about making so many Americans embarrassed about how we lost, though. That's always been what "Russia!" was about.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2022, 02:03:16 PM »

I was curious what the penal colonies were like, ended up reading some article last week, it actually stated that since she was a high value prisoner, she likely was not going to get the typical brutal treatment from other inmates/guards that you would expect from someone like her (african america, homosexual). I mean, who knows, but I'm not entirely sure she wouldn't of survived 10 years (but like you said, it also depends if her status were to change due to political situations).  It's almost impossible to tell, and really, hard to find a lot of details of what even goes on there. I'll be interested in what she has to say about her experience, that's for sure.
Interesting. I'd actually read an article claiming pretty much the opposite. She was constantly being abused by guards and prisoners alike. No idea which is right, but I'd certainly assumed [wrongly, I suppose] that the brutal version was correct based on what we know of Russian prisons (a very different sort of brutality than American prisons).
E.F. Benson