Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33714 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »
1. Mental health is a thing.
2. Even if you do have additional energy in your twenties, that's  still energy I could be using on stuff other than work. Maintaining a healthy work life balance on an 80 hour week is hard work. Much better to work 40 ish and have energy to spare.

Mental health is DEFINITELY a thing, something I've been saying for several years now in a variety of contexts.   "Working hard" =/= "poor mental health" though, and that's the myth.   

I think "hard work" in that sense is something we should all do to experience it, even if later we choose not to live a life like that.  I think there is an entire generation of people that have just sort of lost what it means to actually SACRIFICE in order to earn their salary.   I think this notion that all companies have to accommodate 10,000 (or however many employees they have) different lifestyles and different attitudes is a recipe for disaster (or at the very least, poor corporate performance, and like it or not, that's all that matters if we want to continue to have a job). 

Bingo.

And to XJ..I'm not saying Mental Health isn't a thing. Just like physical health is real. If you have cancer or something else, sure you can be fucked. If you have some sort of extreme mental health issue..I believe that can be tough to overcome.

But to improve our physical health, we have to exercise.  Isn't it the same thing with mental health? Don't we strengthen our mental health by actually working through challenges?

It's like when some fat guy cries about diabetes. Fucking lose the weight. I have diabetes and I'm not heavy at all. My pancreas doesn't work.

I don't think someone going to a therapist is cowardly at all, but I do think people claim mental health issues way too easily. Just like me and diabetes, it's an insult to people that actually have mental health issues.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2022, 04:16:47 PM »
Always cracks me up to see others describe my old standard schedule when I was still a restaurant chef as a toxic work/life balance (which it was), my industry is notorious for pushing the envelope of what people will tolerate.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
Oh yeah, restaurant work is hard.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »
I'm not entirely sure that work/life balance means poor mental health though, I don't think anyone's claimed that but it almost reads that way.  It certainly could lead to that, but I'm not rushing to say thats the case by default.  A 40 hour work week is plenty to cause mental health issues depending on the job.  There are even days like today where 8 hours is plenty to cause it, but it's almost mentally hard for me to not try to push through, I don't want to just give in.  Something similar to what TAC is saying, sometimes pushing through is better. But it's case by case.  If anyone's wondering, I woke to this morning after a re-occuring nightmare I have (but haven't had in a very long time) and it set me up for a day of mental frustration and anger before I even got out of bed and work only made it worse today. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
If anyone's wondering, I woke to this morning after a re-occuring nightmare I have (but haven't had in a very long time) and it set me up for a day of mental frustration and anger before I even got out of bed and work only made it worse today.

But you pushed through it because you have good mental health conditioning, instead of curling up in bed all day claiming mental health.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2022, 04:34:09 PM »
I'm not entirely sure that work/life balance means poor mental health though, I don't think anyone's claimed that but it almost reads that way.  It certainly could lead to that, but I'm not rushing to say thats the case by default.  A 40 hour work week is plenty to cause mental health issues depending on the job.

I'm not saying that its a guarantee but having extra time to work on yourself does make things more manageable on average.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »
If anyone's wondering, I woke to this morning after a re-occuring nightmare I have (but haven't had in a very long time) and it set me up for a day of mental frustration and anger before I even got out of bed and work only made it worse today.

But you pushed through it because you have good mental health conditioning, instead of curling up in bed all day claiming mental health.

Maybe. I'd like to think that, but I don't know.  I'm still thinking about it so maybe not as much as I wish.

I'm not entirely sure that work/life balance means poor mental health though, I don't think anyone's claimed that but it almost reads that way.  It certainly could lead to that, but I'm not rushing to say thats the case by default.  A 40 hour work week is plenty to cause mental health issues depending on the job.

I'm not saying that its a guarantee but having extra time to work on yourself does make things more manageable on average.

I guess it depends on how you spend that extra time.  If you are working on yourself, then sure I think thats very helpful.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2022, 08:25:16 PM »

The thing is, it's not the hard work that makes it so fucking toxic, it's the bullying, the shaming, the bullshit machismo that's so integrated into the culture. I can't even begin to think of all the habits and behaviors I've had to unlearn in the past ten years just to make myself a bit less of a shit human, especially in the kitchen. In the long run, I think I'm a better manager as a lover than as an asshole. It's no wonder addiction, alcoholism, divorce, and all those other wonderful things are so high in the business.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2022, 08:28:29 PM »

The thing is, it's not the hard work that makes it so fucking toxic, it's the bullying, the shaming, the bullshit machismo that's so integrated into the culture. I can't even begin to think of all the habits and behaviors I've had to unlearn in the past ten years just to make myself a bit less of a shit human, especially in the kitchen. In the long run, I think I'm a better manager as a lover than as an asshole. It's no wonder addiction, alcoholism, divorce, and all those other wonderful things are so high in the business.

My experience is that chefs just think they're the shit. Some how they feel like the kitchen actually isn't a workplace with laws and standards, but for some reason, they think it's their kingdom to speak to people however they damn well choose.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2022, 09:37:42 PM »

My experience is that chefs just think they're the shit. Some how they feel like the kitchen actually isn't a workplace with laws and standards, but for some reason, they think it's their kingdom to speak to people however they damn well choose.

Honestly, I'd blame media for a great deal of that. Things like Hell's Kitchen do my industry zero favors, it gives cooks a false ideal of what's expected, and any actual development as a person and employee gets tossed out the window for some machismo pissing contest instead. The best chefs, the ones I try to emulate, are teachers first and foremost. The business, in the end, is about creating memories. We are integral to some of life's most important moments, the weddings, the engagements, the graduations, the birthdays, the first dates. In the end, unless we're dealing with the top teir of the culinary world, we should create a palate for those life moments to be played upon. Nowhere does ego fit into that scenario.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2022, 09:44:21 PM »

Honestly, I'd blame media for a great deal of that. Things like Hell's Kitchen do my industry zero favors, it gives cooks a false ideal of what's expected, and any actual development as a person and employee gets tossed out the window for some machismo pissing contest instead. The best chefs, the ones I try to emulate, are teachers first and foremost.

I'm not fooled by the media. I get it. And to the bolded, yes I would agree.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2022, 10:22:58 PM »
It's not you the media fools, it's the young and inexperienced cooks coming into the business.

Offline HOF

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2022, 10:32:44 PM »
And today all I see when I open Parler, I mean Twitter, is nothing but posts about the deep state, Trump was right about everything, treason, etc.

Making it really easy to flip to Mastodon. And why do I see every freakin' post tweet from Elon when I don't follow him? I just got done blocking about 50 accounts just now. It's all I do when I open the app now. Read some tweets from people I actually follow and block dozens of others.

It's become exhausting.

So, are your content preferences set to “home” or “latest tweets”? Because you definitely want latest tweets to avoid all the algorithm curated content and things from people you don’t follow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2022, 04:31:08 AM »
I have barely seen Elon's tweets and scroll on by when I do. No big whoop.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2022, 05:18:48 AM »
My first job out of college, they would do a yearly power down of the data center for building power maintenance.  It was always done on MLK weekend so the company would have a three day weekend, but the IT department was on site the entire holiday weekend. It SUCKED because it was such a long weekend (I did it i think 3 times) but I definitely believe being apart of such projects lead to a growth in my career.  Not so much directly in these instances as I didn't stay in that job too long, but in the experience and confidence gained from playing my role in those crazy weekends.

Also, we are talking an IT company.  I've been working in IT for 15 years now, it's very common to have days when you work 24 hours. It's part of the job when you have major projects and things usually go wrong that need to be fixed live and you can't just walk out during that time.

This, I can't tell you how many 24 hour shifts I've had to pull because a production deployment went south.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2022, 05:23:24 AM »
Sounds like shitty management tbh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2022, 05:30:47 AM »

And a shitty job and is illegal I. Many states.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2022, 05:35:33 AM »
Illegal in most European countries as well. Being awake for 24 hours is similar to having a BAC of 0.10%, so in that respect makes mistakes and errors much more likely.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »

But that's just priorities.  I have someone in my life that needs mental wellness - needs to work on themselves - as bad as anyone I've ever met in my life.  She even knows it.  But her claim is, "I don't have time; I have two kids, work, blah blah blah".   But she also goes on like five Tinder dates a week.  Dude (Dudette?), grow the fuck up.  Being an adult isn't doing whatever you want when you want, being an adult is doing what you HAVE TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE TO DO IT, without being told.   

We are a society of excuses.  I don't think I'm out of line in saying "if you can, then shut the fuck up and do it".  The number of people who truly CANNOT - as opposed to "won't", or "don't want to" is exceedingly low.   We talk so much about stepping up and having your back and "Boston Strong!" and all these memes about whatever, and yet when the rubber meets the road it's "oh, this is too HARD".  I have little sympathy for that, frankly.

(Again, to be clear, I am NOT including those who truly cannot.  I am sympathetic to that.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »

Honestly, I'd blame media for a great deal of that. Things like Hell's Kitchen do my industry zero favors, it gives cooks a false ideal of what's expected, and any actual development as a person and employee gets tossed out the window for some machismo pissing contest instead. The best chefs, the ones I try to emulate, are teachers first and foremost. The business, in the end, is about creating memories. We are integral to some of life's most important moments, the weddings, the engagements, the graduations, the birthdays, the first dates. In the end, unless we're dealing with the top teir of the culinary world, we should create a palate for those life moments to be played upon. Nowhere does ego fit into that scenario.

I love that last half.  Wonderfully put.

I generally don't watch the cooking shows where the chefs come out and are all "I'm here to decimate the competition". if you have to call yourself a "bad ass", you're probably not a "bad ass" at all.   Call me a sap, but I still love the Guy's Grocery Games-type stuff where it's a family and it's a celebration. I've written before about the guy from New Hampshire, with something like $20,000 on the line, playing for his kid who died at like eight of cancer, and he ended his cook and went over to help his competitor who was much older and struggling to get done.  "I'm here to help, chef, tell me what to do!".   I'm even tearing up thinking about it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2022, 07:48:17 AM »
I still watch Hell's Kitchen but it does make me uncomfy with the attitude they're promoting.

That said, I greatly prefer TGBBS (before the switch) and even shows like MasterChef and MasterChef Jr have become less competitive and toxic and more about people supporting each other.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
MasterChef Jr. is downright wholesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2022, 08:28:25 AM »

More likely poor planning by engineers.  Most problems we solve are complex, sometimes you don't know how things truly play out, even with all the testing, until it goes into production.   You think if a change in twitter's code lead to the site being down, that the employees should just go home and wait until their next shift to fix it?  That's not on management.  It's part of being an engineer in a production environment.  Of course shitty management could be an issue, but in my experiences, management isn't the one doing the work that causes the issues.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2022, 09:02:11 AM »

Some jobs are necessities and you just can't leave them when  something goes wrong. You as a worker are paid to fix things when they've gone wrong.

Imagine if it was a hospital that was having technical issues and you were the only one available to fix the issue. Who knows how long it'll take, this is why diagnosis are done to find out what is wrong. Depending on the severity of the issue and priority of the situation, a worker could be there for hours.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »

Some jobs are necessities and you just can't leave them when  something goes wrong. You as a worker are paid to fix things when they've gone wrong.

Imagine if it was a hospital that was having technical issues and you were the only one available to fix the issue. Who knows how long it'll take, this is why diagnosis are done to find out what is wrong. Depending on the severity of the issue and priority of the situation, a worker could be there for hours.

You staff correctly and not have one person work so many hours.  It's illegal to do so.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2022, 09:22:23 AM »

You staff correctly and not have one person work so many hours.  It's illegal to do so.

Then what happens when you can't staff correctly because you're short staffed due to people not wanting to do these jobs?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2022, 09:25:17 AM »

I don't know about that.  My Dr. friends all routinely did 24+ hour shifts during their residency at their hospital.  It was normal.  Although, I always wondered how safe it is to have someone operating without sleep.  I must have brought this up to my friends countless times and they seemed to never have an issue.  I know they are allowed to nap if it's quiet, but still. I'm not entirely sure it's illegal because it's so common and you can't always just have staff available.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »
Then what happens when you can't staff correctly because you're short staffed due to people not wanting to do these jobs?

You raise your wages.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: December 08, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
I don't know about that.  My Dr. friends all routinely did 24+ hour shifts during their residency at their hospital.  It was normal.  Although, I always wondered how safe it is to have someone operating without sleep.  I must have brought this up to my friends countless times and they seemed to never have an issue.  I know they are allowed to nap if it's quiet, but still. I'm not entirely sure it's illegal because it's so common and you can't always just have staff available.

In the case of long shifts at hospitals you are legally required to get a certain amount of sleep but in practice this doesn't work out. Medical professionals are pretty easy to exploit for extra, unsafe hours simply because if hospitals or surgeries are short staffed, and you don't work, patients suffer, or worse.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2022, 09:38:09 AM »
I don't know about other states, but in NY there is no limit on shift-hours. Technically your employer can schedule you for a 24 hour shift, as long as you get paid overtime once you work more than 40 hours/week.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 08, 2022, 09:39:27 AM »

In the case of long shifts at hospitals you are legally required to get a certain amount of sleep but in practice this doesn't work out. Medical professionals are pretty easy to exploit for extra, unsafe hours simply because if hospitals or surgeries are short staffed, and you don't work, patients suffer, or worse.

I can see that being the case.  But to go back to King's point, where do you get extra workers from?  You can't just pull Drs out of your ass.  And while in residency these people don't make much money at all, they will when they are done, I'm not sure it's something you can fix by raising wages. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
You think if a change in twitter's code lead to the site being down, that the employees should just go home and wait until their next shift to fix it?  That's not on management.

No, I think there should be OTHER people to replace them and do the fixes. Understaffing, or having a single point of failure (i.e. only "that guy" can solve the problem) is, for organisations above a certain size, bad management.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »
I think in the medical field, residencies are almost like a medical boot camp. Kind of breaks you down a bit to rebuild. It ideally sets you up for real emergencies and helps you sharpen your focus and increase your stamina.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
This is the case in the US certainly, but not universal. Swedish medicals residencies are only required by law to work 40-48 hour weeks, and are guaranteed a rest period of 11 hours out of every 24. Unions can arrange for longer hours/shorter rests through collective agreements though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »
Get ready for the shitshow today on Twitter and all social medias. Brittney Griner swapped with Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.