Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33654 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
Mine was fairly random too. I went with ohai.social. Listed itself as a generic server and had a smaller user load. So far, so good.

I have one follower so far... :lol

Stadler?  It is a bot after all.   :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
New scary looking thing.

I will probably join because I tend to always rebel against the old man in my head.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2022, 12:33:42 PM »
Mine was fairly random too. I went with ohai.social. Listed itself as a generic server and had a smaller user load. So far, so good.

I have one follower so far... :lol

Stadler?  It is a bot after all.   :lol :lol

Nah lol, some random dude from south America, we connected through jmetal of course lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
It ain't me; I have no idea what any of you are talking about. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
Why folks?  Who cares. Scroll right on by. Ignore the orange cheeto. Life is so much better Ignoring the negative
If I wanted to know who tweeted what, then I would look at twitter. Its the fact that literally all news outlets constantly had headlines about his tweets. Hard to escape. This isn't about ignoring Trump, its the coverage of it by the media.

The news media can be ignored too.  Everyone has that choice.  ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2022, 12:35:24 PM »
Soooo where's all the doom and gloom for twitter lately?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2022, 03:13:35 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-21/elon-musk-s-2022-wealth-loss-exceeds-100-billion-for-first-time

For reference, over 140 countries have GDP less than this.

Wow, instead of losing his ass, he could've fed a few small countries.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2022, 01:58:58 AM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jammindude

« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Harmony

« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2022, 08:43:24 AM »
Elon "free speech" Musk has suspended Ye's account again for posting this as "inciting violence."

Mods - if you feel this is inappropriate to post, I will remove it.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
HarmonYe   ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
HarmonYe   ;D

FUUUUUCK don't lump me in with that asshole please.  :censored
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
You praise Hitler multiple times on a podcast, to the point Alex Jones of all people comes across as the moderating influence, post a Swastika on social media unironically, and all of a sudden you are banned from twitter.

Cancel Culture gone mad, I say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2022, 09:12:09 AM »
So twitter is enforcing some sort of hate speech policy?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »
So twitter is enforcing some sort of hate speech policy?

Quickly re-learning all the same shit they learned years ago

Offline Skeever

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2022, 09:40:52 AM »
Sure banning Ye had nothing to do with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2022/11/30/eu-threatens-twitter-ban-unless-musk-ramps-up-moderation-tactics-report-says/?sh=1f05b7f13fb8

Once again something Musk would have learned if he had any respect at all for the $44B platform he was buying.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
HarmonYe   ;D

FUUUUUCK don't lump me in with that asshole please.  :censored

Sorry!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2022, 12:41:08 PM »
This might invigorate his base and propel him to the White House in '24. Stranger things have happened (like 6 years ago, maybe, even).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:32:00 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2022, 05:10:15 PM »
Well, the "twitter files" are coming out now, in a live twitter thread.  https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1598822959866683394  Definitely looks like they are painting this as the democrats having abilities to contact people at twitter to censor content.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2022, 07:13:52 AM »
Well, the "twitter files" are coming out now, in a live twitter thread.  https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1598822959866683394  Definitely looks like they are painting this as the democrats having abilities to contact people at twitter to censor content.

Care to summarize.  I ain't reading 33 individual tweets
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
Elon Musk basically just discovered what we already knew: content moderation is messy and involves whole teams of people with a range of viewpoints trying to appease different political factions.

He then gave “leaks” to a Substack Man to present it as a blockbuster.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2022, 10:08:01 AM »

Care to summarize.  I ain't reading 33 individual tweets

Twitter played nice with the democrats to censor things related to Hunter's laptop including as far as censoring private messages.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2022, 04:01:50 PM »
And today all I see when I open Parler, I mean Twitter, is nothing but posts about the deep state, Trump was right about everything, treason, etc.

Making it really easy to flip to Mastodon. And why do I see every freakin' post tweet from Elon when I don't follow him? I just got done blocking about 50 accounts just now. It's all I do when I open the app now. Read some tweets from people I actually follow and block dozens of others.

It's become exhausting.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:18 AM »
A whistle-blower called in city authorities to say that some conference rooms in Twitter headquarters have been converted into modest bedrooms.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2022, 09:32:53 AM »
A whistle-blower called in city authorities to say that some conference rooms in Twitter headquarters have been converted into modest bedrooms.

Definitely a sign of healthy work/life balance!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »
I've worked plenty of places that had beds set up, usually for emergencies though. 

I don't know, I wouldn't want to work there, but as long as it's not illegal, I don't really see the point in ripping on stuff like this (if it is illegal, fuck him). 

If I were younger, I might see working at twitter as an amazing career opportunity right now.  When I first started my job, it was fairly normal to work 80 hours a week.  I viewed it part of a learning and growing experience.  Work/life balance sucked, but I figured it out because I was motivated and young at that time.  I have no desire to do that now, but I could see myself finding that motivation if I believed in what I was doing was worth it and I can't fault the people who stayed that may feel this way. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2022, 10:58:21 AM »

If I were younger, I might see working at twitter as an amazing career opportunity right now.  When I first started my job, it was fairly normal to work 80 hours a week.  I viewed it part of a learning and growing experience. Work/life balance sucked, but I figured it out because I was motivated and young at that time.  I have no desire to do that now, but I could see myself finding that motivation if I believed in what I was doing was worth it and I can't fault the people who stayed that may feel this way.

Cram, I can appreciate that sentiment. I think how you approached it is spot on. I'm going to generalize with no backup, but I feel like people in their 20's today don't really approach it like that anymore. And I mean that really generally. Obviously that's not everyone.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2022, 11:05:43 AM »
I mean I made it "work" in my twenties, but my health and social life definitely suffered for it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2022, 11:09:47 AM »
I mean I made it "work" in my twenties, but my health and social life definitely suffered for it.

But you're in your 20's! Maybe you suffered from something specific, but I don't consider working too hard detrimental to one's health. Social life? Like I said, someone in the 20's should have enough energy for that no matter what they work.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2022, 11:58:58 AM »
1. Mental health is a thing.
2. Even if you do have additional energy in your twenties, that's  still energy I could be using on stuff other than work. Maintaining a healthy work life balance on an 80 hour week is hard work. Much better to work 40 ish and have energy to spare.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2022, 02:43:04 PM »
2. Even if you do have additional energy in your twenties, that's  still energy I could be using on stuff other than work. Maintaining a healthy work life balance on an 80 hour week is hard work. Much better to work 40 ish and have energy to spare.

Mental health is DEFINITELY a thing, something I've been saying for several years now in a variety of contexts.   "Working hard" =/= "poor mental health" though, and that's the myth.   

I think "hard work" in that sense is something we should all do to experience it, even if later we choose not to live a life like that.  I think there is an entire generation of people that have just sort of lost what it means to actually SACRIFICE in order to earn their salary.   I think this notion that all companies have to accommodate 10,000 (or however many employees they have) different lifestyles and different attitudes is a recipe for disaster (or at the very least, poor corporate performance, and like it or not, that's all that matters if we want to continue to have a job).  Companies typically end their fiscal year in December; it's not that insane to think that there may be increased activity around that time; for some, sure, go home and pound eggnog.  But for all the grief that CEOs/C-Suite executives get for being paid the big bucks, they ARE taking calls and making decisions on Christmas Day.

I can remember working in the environmental industry and having to remediate a big name company's site (you've used their calculators, I'm sure).  We had to remove a transformer bank, dig out the soil underneath, replace it, and the transformers, over Labor Day weekend when the plant was on shut down.  We strategized it, I hired a company that had duplicate equipment just in case something broke, and we set out.  It was going to be a 48 hour marathon (we had something like 56 hour window before it impacted production).   A hurricane came in that morning.  We persevered; the lead supervisor for my sub had a heart attack an hour into the work.   We persevered; I asked the guy on the concrete truck if he knew anyone that could help frame out the footings (one of the supervisor's tasks).  I ended up giving him $300 cash to do it himself.   We worked for two and a half days straight, sleeping in two-hour shifts.  Rather than that being a negative, to me that's a story I can tell.  I'm PROUD that we had that plant back up and running on time like we said we were going to.  I felt like Tom Fucking Brady (sidebar: the plant site is about five miles from where Aaron Hernandez lived). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »
My first job out of college, they would do a yearly power down of the data center for building power maintenance.  It was always done on MLK weekend so the company would have a three day weekend, but the IT department was on site the entire holiday weekend. It SUCKED because it was such a long weekend (I did it i think 3 times) but I definitely believe being apart of such projects lead to a growth in my career.  Not so much directly in these instances as I didn't stay in that job too long, but in the experience and confidence gained from playing my role in those crazy weekends.

Also, we are talking an IT company.  I've been working in IT for 15 years now, it's very common to have days when you work 24 hours. It's part of the job when you have major projects and things usually go wrong that need to be fixed live and you can't just walk out during that time. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »
Mental health is DEFINITELY a thing, something I've been saying for several years now in a variety of contexts.   "Working hard" =/= "poor mental health" though, and that's the myth.   

And "Working hard" != "Overworking". You can work hard within a 40 hour week.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »

I think "hard work" in that sense is something we should all do to experience it, even if later we choose not to live a life like that.  I think there is an entire generation of people that have just sort of lost what it means to actually SACRIFICE in order to earn their salary.   I think this notion that all companies have to accommodate 10,000 (or however many employees they have) different lifestyles and different attitudes is a recipe for disaster (or at the very least, poor corporate performance, and like it or not, that's all that matters if we want to continue to have a job).  Companies typically end their fiscal year in December; it's not that insane to think that there may be increased activity around that time; for some, sure, go home and pound eggnog.  But for all the grief that CEOs/C-Suite executives get for being paid the big bucks, they ARE taking calls and making decisions on Christmas Day.

I can remember working in the environmental industry and having to remediate a big name company's site (you've used their calculators, I'm sure).  We had to remove a transformer bank, dig out the soil underneath, replace it, and the transformers, over Labor Day weekend when the plant was on shut down.  We strategized it, I hired a company that had duplicate equipment just in case something broke, and we set out.  It was going to be a 48 hour marathon (we had something like 56 hour window before it impacted production).   A hurricane came in that morning.  We persevered; the lead supervisor for my sub had a heart attack an hour into the work.   We persevered; I asked the guy on the concrete truck if he knew anyone that could help frame out the footings (one of the supervisor's tasks).  I ended up giving him $300 cash to do it himself.   We worked for two and a half days straight, sleeping in two-hour shifts.  Rather than that being a negative, to me that's a story I can tell.  I'm PROUD that we had that plant back up and running on time like we said we were going to.  I felt like Tom Fucking Brady (sidebar: the plant site is about five miles from where Aaron Hernandez lived).

Now that's a type of job where you can't be a slacker, and have deadline to meet. It's a job that has real world consequences if not done properly. That type of stress, frustration, planning, pursuance, is why people in those positions earn that much money. It's not easy to execute and it's a big responsibility if something goes wrong because you didn't take into account certain things.

And "Working hard" != "Overworking". You can work hard within a 40 hour week.

Working Hard would depend on the type of job.

Some types of jobs are necessary to keep the wheels turning, and these are the jobs you just can't slack on, and these may require you to work extra harder.

Take a factory job and how that has evolved to being done by machines because human workers just can't meet the demands of the supply. You know how many people they'd have to hire and how much harder they'd each have to work, while at the same time the company would want profits. So those products would be priced higher.

It is interesting to note though, that back in those factory days, Sports was used as leisure time for companies. They noticed an increase in work production when giving their workers a time to leisure and play sports.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281960859_Sport_industry_and_industrial_sport_in_Britain_before_1914_review_and_revision
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD