Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33694 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »
The internet hivemind always needs a villain.

People have always needed a villain. Whether it be a angry sky person that demands child sacrifices on mountain tops, someone to burn at the stake for being a witch, or people to hang because of different skin tones... Humans have always been this way, long before the internet. We're a bit fucked up as a species in that regard and we (not literally every human in existence) seem to get off on it. For better or for worse, it's in our DNA.

Isn't one of the better parts of humanity to overcome our human nature? Isn't our human nature to, at least in part, fuck as much as possible?  But #MeToo, because it's the right thing to do, no?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2022, 09:55:28 AM »
The internet hivemind always needs a villain.

People have always needed a villain. Whether it be a angry sky person that demands child sacrifices on mountain tops, someone to burn at the stake for being a witch, or people to hang because of different skin tones... Humans have always been this way, long before the internet. We're a bit fucked up as a species in that regard and we (not literally every human in existence) seem to get off on it. For better or for worse, it's in our DNA.

Isn't one of the better parts of humanity to overcome our human nature? Isn't our human nature to, at least in part, fuck as much as possible?  But #MeToo, because it's the right thing to do, no?

Sure. And we do in a lot of ways. It takes time, and like with "MeToo" and segregation we've improved greatly in just a few generations. Long gone are the days where we'd have rivers of blood coming from the guillotine, and the celebrating of literal heads on spikes. At least we're now at the stage where we're just slinging digital shit at each other online rather than at stocks with rotten fruit.   

People are struggling a lot financially, and people really hate hubris. So for a lot of people, to see a billionaire just throwing around billions of dollars in some kind of dick waving contest to appear to have had that hubris bite him in the ass, feels like some kind of justice, at least on a class level. 

I get it.

I'm rooting for the downfall of Twitter in its current form. It's got nothing to do with Elon personally. Though, I've been a fan of his and a defender of him for a long time. His behavior the last few months has really soured me on him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
I am thinking that Kevin Bacon should play Elon Musk in the eventual film.  He already has the line.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2022, 12:22:08 PM »

People are struggling a lot financially, and people really hate hubris. So for a lot of people, to see a billionaire just throwing around billions of dollars in some kind of dick waving contest to appear to have had that hubris bite him in the ass, feels like some kind of justice, at least on a class level. 

I get it.

This. Simple and precise explanation.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »

I get it.

No doubt Brian did a great job. I'm still skeptical; it still seems like it's arbitrary at best. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2022, 02:34:04 PM »
 :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2022, 03:19:38 PM »

I get it.

No doubt Brian did a great job. I'm still skeptical; it still seems like it's arbitrary at best.

Seems like is something we closely share views on. I'm also not one for schadenfreude ever. It feels petty and unproductive to me. But I've learned that's a hugely unpopular opinion, so now I just keep my mouth shut. People can't vent and spread negativity all they want, and I'll just say to myself that my silence is helping.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2022, 04:59:51 PM »
I REALLY don't get all the schadenfreude, I really don't.

Because most individual lives are boring as fuck, mundane shit same day after day, and watching the world's richest man eat a gargantuan financial dick is fun. Just imagine it's Adam Schiff's comedy of errors on full display...

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »
The crew over at MySpace needs to take this opportunity to roll out a redesign and an app. I'd sign up.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2022, 10:30:47 PM »
Dumpy's back, which may finally drive a lot of the folks on the fence away for good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2022, 10:41:26 PM »
Dumpy's back, which may finally drive a lot of the folks on the fence away for good.

Goddammit.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2022, 02:54:11 AM »
How would it feel to be king of the internet dumpster fire?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2022, 06:34:34 AM »
I was really dreading this day. I have enjoyed the news not constantly being about "TRUMP TWEETED".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2022, 06:43:33 AM »
Why folks?  Who cares. Scroll right on by. Ignore the orange cheeto. Life is so much better Ignoring the negative 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2022, 06:50:41 AM »
Why folks?  Who cares. Scroll right on by. Ignore the orange cheeto. Life is so much better Ignoring the negative 

Hey hey hey, lets not insult cheetos here.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2022, 06:52:29 AM »
It's the only color that works though  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2022, 07:10:41 AM »

Very true, but internet outrage is more fashionable than being an adult. :P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2022, 07:35:12 AM »
Donnie said he has no intention of posting there, which would make sense since that'd immediately kill Truth Social.

Let's see how long he can actually stay off it though. I'd put the over/under at a month.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2022, 07:41:21 AM »
If I wanted to know who tweeted what, then I would look at twitter. Its the fact that literally all news outlets constantly had headlines about his tweets. Hard to escape. This isn't about ignoring Trump, its the coverage of it by the media.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
I’m in total covfefe with that😀
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2022, 07:59:16 AM »
So for people not keeping track of some of the behind the scenes drama:

Twitter/Elon: "Everyone needs to reply to this email within 24 hours agreeing to new, horrifically long hours or you are fired"

European Twitter Employees: "That has no legal weight, I will be working what I'm contracted until otherwise stated. Also remember you need to give a certain period of notice of employment termination, so you will be breaking several laws if you fire us in this way."

Twitter/Elon: *fires these employees*

European governments and worker organisations:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2022, 08:02:44 AM »
They/he also managed to break the copyright and contentID system, so people are uploading entire movies in 2 min clips currently.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2022, 08:46:14 AM »
Donnie said he has no intention of posting there, which would make sense since that'd immediately kill Truth Social.

Let's see how long he can actually stay off it though. I'd put the over/under at a month.

I'll put next week's pay on the under.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2022, 08:56:51 AM »

I'll put next week's pay on the under.

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2022, 09:09:24 AM »
What on earth is Truth Social?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »
What on earth is Truth Social?

That's the social media outfit and bastion of authentic free speech that Donnie started when he got the boot from Twitter.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2022, 08:24:35 AM »

Very true, but internet outrage is more fashionable than being an adult. :P

Word.   

Offline Skeever

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
If Elon has played one Trump card (lol) through this whole thing it's that he's given Twitter what it craves the most: the sense that they are the most important thing going on in the world at any given time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2022, 06:39:56 AM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2022, 04:48:49 PM »
I recently remembered I have a Counter Social account. Recovered my password and have started looking around again. I might have created a Mastodon account around the same time. I honestly can't remember. Hive seems scary due to the fact that 2 people run the whole thing (which isn't much different than Twitter now, I guess) and Tribel has people freaking out over security.

All I seem to be doing on Twitter now is blocking dozens of accounts every day. Not really all that fun.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2022, 11:00:45 AM »
Well, with Musk bringing back all (or most) of the suspended accounts, I officially created a Mastodon account and loaded Tusky on my phone to browse it with. Already seeing many people that I look at over there so I might start moving away slowly from Twitter.

Pretty simple, find a server, create an account and you can see things from every server like you are all on the same one (but you're not). The joinmastodon site had a list of servers and I found one I liked that was it.

https://joinmastodon.org/servers
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2022, 11:37:00 AM »
Well, with Musk bringing back all (or most) of the suspended accounts, I officially created a Mastodon account and loaded Tusky on my phone to browse it with. Already seeing many people that I look at over there so I might start moving away slowly from Twitter.

Pretty simple, find a server, create an account and you can see things from every server like you are all on the same one (but you're not). The joinmastodon site had a list of servers and I found one I liked that was it.

https://joinmastodon.org/servers

I just picked a server at random. Still haven't really dug into the scene yet.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
Mine was fairly random too. I went with ohai.social. Listed itself as a generic server and had a smaller user load. So far, so good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »
Mine was fairly random too. I went with ohai.social. Listed itself as a generic server and had a smaller user load. So far, so good.

I have one follower so far... :lol