Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33737 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 08:00:56 AM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2022, 08:29:30 AM »
So yesterday was the first day I really got a sense of how in trouble Twitter might be. This article covers it pretty well.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/23451198/twitter-ftc-elon-musk-lawyer-changes-fine-warning

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
So yesterday was the first day I really got a sense of how in trouble Twitter might be. This article covers it pretty well.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/23451198/twitter-ftc-elon-musk-lawyer-changes-fine-warning
Yeah, I was talking about this stuff with my wife last night.  She is in the GRC field (governance, risk, and compliance), and in her professional opinion, "They're fucked."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »
This may end up being one of the grandest crash and burn scenarios in business history.

I find it fascinating.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2022, 10:17:07 AM »
:trainwreck:

:corn
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
So I'm seeing posts about blue check scammers posing as legit airlines customer services reps.  People are Tweeting for assistance and are being scammed into providing ticketing info and a few have been directed to DMs where they are asked for credit card info and then lo and behold, their info is being used in thefts.

Elon has been asked to provide information or comments about this and all he does is block those who are asking what he plans to do about it.

Yeah, sure....stupid people willing to give out their credit card numbers take some of the responsibility.  But in the recent past, many people stuck with airline issues have gotten legit help from airline customer services reps.  So it is easy to see why people would fall for phony blue checked airline customer service accounts.

And this is just the first scam I've seen posted about.  You know there has to be more.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2022, 03:36:02 PM »
So I'm seeing posts about blue check scammers posing as legit airlines customer services reps.  People are Tweeting for assistance and are being scammed into providing ticketing info and a few have been directed to DMs where they are asked for credit card info and then lo and behold, their info is being used in thefts.

Elon has been asked to provide information or comments about this and all he does is block those who are asking what he plans to do about it.

Yeah, sure....stupid people willing to give out their credit card numbers take some of the responsibility.  But in the recent past, many people stuck with airline issues have gotten legit help from airline customer services reps.  So it is easy to see why people would fall for phony blue checked airline customer service accounts.

And this is just the first scam I've seen posted about.  You know there has to be more.

Saw something about fake blue check marked accounts pretending to be pharmaceutical companies have tanked their stocks by tweeting insulin will be free. 

Elon really fucked this up

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2022, 03:46:24 PM »
Think we can talk Elon into buying Fox news next?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2022, 03:51:58 PM »
Think we can talk Elon into buying Fox news next?

LoL, there isn't enough popcorn in the world for THAT idea.   :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2022, 03:52:22 PM »
Worst comes to worst, people just won't take anything for face value on Twitter anymore because of this, and people will really need to be cognitive about where they read facts and stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
I think the idea they had for a few hours and rolled back might have made a lot of sense if they wanted a pay model as well.  Verification of who you are is a big part of trust between customer and product on social media. Making companies pay for verification makes little sense, making an average person pay for privilege's may make sense though (an ad free experience, getting more public visibility).

Offline Harmony

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
I think what makes me the most sad about Twitter likely being doomed is that every once in a blue moon there is a thread that really makes me laugh and not just the OP but the comments.  There are so many funny people on Twitter.

Today's gem was an emergency room physician Tweeting: 
i can’t believe this needs to be said but if ur bit by a snake PLEASE don’t bring the snake to the ER with u

You can imagine all the stories being posted by various doctors and nurses around the world of things that have been brought to the ER for further examination.  I literally had tears running down my face from laughter.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »
I think what makes me the most sad about Twitter likely being doomed is that every once in a blue moon there is a thread that really makes me laugh and not just the OP but the comments.  There are so many funny people on Twitter.

i can’t believe this needs to be said but if ur bit by a snake PLEASE don’t bring the snake to the ER with u

You can imagine all the stories being posted by various doctors and nurses around the world of things that have been brought to the ER for further examination.  I literally had tears running down my face from laughter.

TBF, without knowing much about snake bites, I can see why it makes sense so you know what you are dealing with as I'd imagine snake bites might be different depending on snake although if the snake was alive, that would be pretty odd experience.  Maybe I'm completely wrong about that though.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2022, 04:04:45 PM »

TBF, without knowing much about snake bites, I can see why it makes sense so you know what you are dealing with as I'd imagine snake bites might be different depending on snake although if the snake was alive, that would be pretty odd experience.  Maybe I'm completely wrong about that though.
Surprisingly, the consensus was that it depends on your geographic location.  In the US, snake anti-venom is like one-size fits all because the common snakes are all from the same type of family.  Some Australians were suggesting the snake would be helpful in the outback ER.

I'm wondering why a photo couldn't suffice?  Call me crazy.  LoL

But there were also discussions about bats, rats, spiders, and other things getting loose inside of ERs.   :o

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2022, 04:14:23 PM »

Surprisingly, the consensus was that it depends on your geographic location.  In the US, snake anti-venom is like one-size fits all because the common snakes are all from the same type of family.  Some Australians were suggesting the snake would be helpful in the outback ER.

I'm wondering why a photo couldn't suffice?  Call me crazy.  LoL

But there were also discussions about bats, rats, spiders, and other things getting loose inside of ERs.   :o

They want the ER to make fresh anti-venom from that snake  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2022, 05:10:55 PM »

Saw something about fake blue check marked accounts pretending to be pharmaceutical companies have tanked their stocks by tweeting insulin will be free. 

Elon really fucked this up

That was Eli Lilly. Fake, but verified, account tweeted that out and totally tanked the companies stock.

According to this story, about $15 Billion. Keep it up Elon. You're doing great.

https://www.thestar.com/business/technology/2022/11/11/eli-lilly-loses-billions-in-market-cap-after-verified-twitter-impostor-promises-free-insulin.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2022, 01:46:02 AM »
Eli Lilly, along with drugmakers Novo Nordisk and Sanofi, currently dominate the insulin market. Together, they account for the entire insulin supply in the U.S. and 90 per cent worldwide.

The three people who discovered insulin, a life-saving drug, originally sold their patents to the University of Toronto for $1 each. One of the team members, Sir Frederick G. Banting, remarked: “Insulin does not belong to me, it belongs to the world.”

Eli Lilly was the first company to mass-manufacture insulin, shipping its first commercial supply in 1923. In 2022, the company charges $82.41 for individual vials of their Insulin Lispro Injection, or $159.12 for a pack of five pens.

I don't feel sorry for Eli Lilly, or those other companies. Their greedy asses are charging too much for insulin anyways. Obviously, people want it cheaper and agreed with the tweet enough to make them lose that much in the stock market.  Also, I find it hilarious just how fragile the stock market is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2022, 06:20:57 AM »
Worst comes to worst, people just won't take anything for face value on Twitter anymore because of this, and people will really need to be cognitive about where they read facts and stuff.

Replace "Twitter" with "Internet" and you'll have the world becoming suddenly a better place.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »

Replace "Twitter" with "Internet" and you'll have the world becoming suddenly a better place.

Do you really think it was before the internet? I actually think it hasn't been great since Television was invented. This is where the people started blending fiction with reality.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2022, 10:35:50 AM »

Do you really think it was before the internet? I actually think it hasn't been great since Television was invented. This is where the people started blending fiction with reality.

Doesn’t the war of the worlds radio panic fiasco pre-date television?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2022, 10:41:20 AM »
Yup...1938

Offline T-ski

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2022, 11:39:44 AM »

Doesn’t the war of the worlds radio panic fiasco pre-date television?

Thanks Marconi.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2022, 07:46:54 AM »

We should have been cognitive of that well before Elon Musk took over. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2022, 11:08:39 AM »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2022, 09:08:37 PM »
Yeah, good for them.  At least, if Twitter is gone, we all still have each other here in these boards.  That's the key part.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2022, 01:29:59 AM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2022, 04:27:33 AM »
^ Glorious!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2022, 05:49:14 AM »

I don't buy that one. I think the employees were intentionally locked out. They can't return to the offices until Monday. If it was just a badge issue, they'd have security manually checking them at unlocked points of entry.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:57:56 AM by Chino »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »
I don't know how badging works at twitter but where I work (Wells Fargo) security can only give access to our elevators. They have zero ability to badge you into the banking floors as the badging system is governed by Wells and not building security.

I had to work a holiday once because I was on call and forgot my badge, the security got me in the elevator room but I couldn't get into the office and since no one was in the office I had to go back home.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2022, 09:08:04 AM »
I REALLY don't get all the schadenfreude, I really don't.   

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2022, 09:26:15 AM »
The internet hivemind always needs a villain.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2022, 09:30:52 AM »
The internet hivemind always needs a villain.

People have always needed a villain. Whether it be a angry sky person that demands child sacrifices on mountain tops, someone to burn at the stake for being a witch, or people to hang because of different skin tones... Humans have always been this way, long before the internet. We're a bit fucked up as a species in that regard and we (not literally every human in existence) seem to get off on it. For better or for worse, it's in our DNA.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
Yeah, it's easy to see Elon has a love/hate relationship with the general public.  People really hate the guy so it's easy to see why people are loving the downfall of twitter. 

I do think it's a bit sad that some people obsess over him.