Author Topic: Cutting off a family member  (Read 2223 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Cutting off a family member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
Apparently DTF stands for Damn The Family.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »
It's sad to read these stories but shows that family issues are somewhat common.  I don't have a great relationship with my Dad or my brother.  It's like we're almost estranged.  We basically speak through Mum.  It's fucked.  My Dad just never wanted to be involved or that hands on 'mentor' like father.  His role has solely been the provider.  I think he's always thought that's his job done.  It seems to much time has passed to have anything change now.  We struggle for a meaningful conversation.  It hurts.

Me and my brother had a falling out years ago due to his manipulative, psychotic partner at the time.  We're both stubborn and I think we both never really got past that.  He greatly took offence I started it and told him some home truths.  He held onto much more than me.  I've grown up enough to move past that stuff but sadly, even though he's 10 years older than me, I know who the more mature one is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2023, 07:16:18 PM »
@ Spencer ... Dude, this sucks so bad, but as you can see from many of us, family members can absolutely suck.  Not all of us can have the kind of relationship with parents and siblings that Bill, RJ and Joe have/had.  Just because someone is blood doesn't mean they get a pass on bad or horrible behaviours and actions.  Your mom... wow.  The fact she can call your child "it" signals to me that she is capable of not using male/female pronouns, but chooses not to use "they" for whatever reason (disrespect? cruelty? selfishness?).  The fact your father forgives (enables) it and hasn't/doesn't try to help correct her behaviour makes him complicit, imo.  "She needs more time"??  If someone hasn't learned something this straight forward in 2 years, it's not because they aren't physically capable of using the word "they", that person is just choosing not to.  I just don't know any other way to see it.  I MIGHT be able to forgive the odd slip up, but the fact she doesn't even try is just ... well, narcissism - it's all about her.  Not your child, not you.

As for my family, I've gone through something with all of my family at some point, as has mrs.jingle.  tl;dr - I didn't speak with my dad from about 2014 until he passed in 2020, except for a few months around the death of his wife; same with my brother, except around the death of our father; mrs.jingle's father is 'dead' to her; and her manipulative, self-centred sisters haven't been part of our lives for almost 20 years.

We had to remove my mother from our lives for about 18 months back right after the jingle.kids were born - she would not respect our wishes as parents, and never missed an opportunity to point out how we were parenting wrong.  She finally clued into things, and we had a bit of a rocky relationship for a number of years, but once our kids hit 9 or 10 years old, she became a wonderful grandmother, and we have a fairly strong relationship to this day.

My brother ... tumultuous relationship right from my wedding day (when we learned he and my sister-in-law had tried to change the location of where our vows were to be exchanged with our wedding planner <LONG story>), and never apologized for it.  Since my parents split when I was 14 and he was 18, he took it upon himself to be my 'father figure' and always fancied himself as better, smarter, more experienced, better parent, more successful etc... than me. It came to a complete head in 2017 when I was let go from my job (one of the best things to ever happen to me), and he felt the need to call me (first he'd called me in years) to give me a pep-talk about how I'll be ok, and how he dealt with that situation in the past.  The call escalated when I didn't thank him for his wisdom, and he ended up insulting me, and then somehow got to my kids being rude and ungrateful.  Other than the period around my father's passing in 2020 (where he didn't include me in anything, and wasn't even intending to list me on in the obituary) we've not spoken.

Then my father.  He could never seem to hold a healthy relationship with all of his family (father, brother, or children) at once; at least one of us was always in his shit-house.  After my parents split, he didn't speak with his brother for like a decade; my brother didn't want much of a relationship with him for a VERY long time; and he had many problems with his own father (cutting him out of his life for many many years, only reconciling for a month or so before my grandfather passed).  For a long time, I was the one family member that my dad *did* have a good relationship with.  Until I wasn't.  He was a man who needed to be needed.  When jingle.kids were young, he would routinely babysit for us, so he got lots of time as "Grandpa", and he was great at it.  Then, gradually as they got older, we didn't need as much time from him, but we didn't cut him out of our lives in any way.  Until he started sulking, and pulling shit like accusing us of withholding the kids from him; that my wife was pulling me away from our family, that we were teaching our kids not to want to spend time with him.  It came to a head in 2012, and then he really started pulling away.  He no-showed jingle.kids' 13th birthday, and just called them on the phone.  It had been our tradition to have him and my in-laws over for a birthday dinner for 12 years before that.  When the jingle.kids asked why he wasn't coming over, he responded "I didn't think your parents wanted me there".  There were many many other examples of him pulling away from us, and eventually I came to the realization that it wasn't my job to make him want to spend time with his son and grandkids.  He chose to pull away, all the while telling the rest of the family we pushed him away.  When my step-mom passed right around Christmas 2016, we started communicating again, and tried to slowly reconcile - but then he never reached out when he said he would, never returned messages; he expected any reconciliation was going to be on his terms, and when we didn't allow him to dictate how to rebuild our relationships, he pulled back time and time again.  When I called him on his 75th birthday, he was in a car on a road-trip with his new girlfriend.  I don't think we spoke at all again until he texted me from the hospital just 5 days before he passed away.  We ended up having about a 45 minute conversation, and a few texts over the next couple of days before he passed.  I guess that was the universe giving us each a bit of closure.

mrs.jingle has had zero relationship with her 2 younger sisters for most of her adult life (them being selfish, manipulative, conniving, cruel, and deceiving cunts), and back in 2014, her verbally abusive father finally pushed things over the edge, and after a bit of therapy, mrs.jingle came to the realization that the father she thought she knew was not the man that he was.  For her own health and our kids' health, we had to distance ourselves.  Then he had a near death experience that changed him in 2016 ... for about 2 days.  When visiting him in the hospital after he'd claimed he was a changed man and wanted to reconcile, he berated her in front of me and her mother.  That was literally the end - after that, mrs.jingle treated the situation as though he had died.  There was no hope of ever having a relationship after that.  We have maintained and kept a healthy relationship with mrs.jingle's mother none-the-less.

So yeah, we've got some experience.  It hurts for sure.  But the pain of letting such horrible behaviours fester and stay in your life is far worse.  Bill nailed it - your child in the future will thank you for being there for them; for defending them; for choosing them and their wellbeing over anyone else.  As parents, our job is to take care of OUR direct family.  Catering to the emotions of our parents is not my or yours (or anyone's) responsibility imo.  It will get harder before it gets easier - as she will go on the offensive, as Snow Dog experienced.  But eventually, acceptance that you did all you could, and it was your mother's choice to not be part of your / your family's lives.  As RJ said, you set the boundary (ie, talking to your child appropriately), and she chose not to accept it.

Abuse is abuse - physical, mental, emotional ... doesn't matter.  If your mother was physically abusing your child, you wouldn't stand for it.  Good on you for how you're handling this, Spencer.  No matter how hard it is.  And I completely understand that this is like the grief of losing a parent.  :hug:

P.S.  Sorry for the length... and this is the condensed version!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »
Yeah.....fuck families aye.

Apparently DTF stands for Damn The Family.

Denounce Thy Family.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2023, 11:42:59 PM »
“Don’t cross the crooked step…”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2023, 06:21:42 AM »
And I'm going to say it again (and again, and again, if need be):  GET HELP IF YOU NEED IT.  There are professionals that can help you through this.

I won't say who (but not me) but someone in my family is going through this, and his therapist has been CRUCIAL in helping him identify those behaviors that are toxic to him and his kids.  In many cases it's absolutely malicious in intent, in others, it's only malicious in effect; he's been getting much better at recognizing when he's inadvertently enabling the behaviors that are harming him the most.  Case in point: there are things where his ex is just bad at life (no planning, no budgeting, that kind of thing) and it's NOT HIS JOB to rescue her from that, even if the rationalization is "but my kids!".  There are other ways of cushioning or protecting his kids from her nonsense without continuing to perpetuate the behavior.  This isn't always readily obvious when you're in the thick of it. 

I know for me, there have been things with my family - both parents and kids - where I have decided to be loving, compassionate, and kind - those things I can do - but there are still areas where I have no experience or expertise, and I feel like this is not the time for "trial and error", you know?

GET HELP IF YOU NEED IT.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2023, 06:55:01 AM »
And I'm going to say it again (and again, and again, if need be):  GET HELP IF YOU NEED IT.  There are professionals that can help you through this.

I won't say who (but not me) but someone in my family is going through this, and his therapist has been CRUCIAL in helping him identify those behaviors that are toxic to him and his kids.  In many cases it's absolutely malicious in intent, in others, it's only malicious in effect; he's been getting much better at recognizing when he's inadvertently enabling the behaviors that are harming him the most.  Case in point: there are things where his ex is just bad at life (no planning, no budgeting, that kind of thing) and it's NOT HIS JOB to rescue her from that, even if the rationalization is "but my kids!".  There are other ways of cushioning or protecting his kids from her nonsense without continuing to perpetuate the behavior.  This isn't always readily obvious when you're in the thick of it. 

I know for me, there have been things with my family - both parents and kids - where I have decided to be loving, compassionate, and kind - those things I can do - but there are still areas where I have no experience or expertise, and I feel like this is not the time for "trial and error", you know?

GET HELP IF YOU NEED IT.

Cannot be overstated.  In fact, maybe it could be expanded to 'GET HELP EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU DON"T NEED IT'

For reasons mentioned multiple times in this thread, having a neutral party to help sort your thoughts/feelings/etc is immensely helpful - even when you don't think you need it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2023, 05:31:48 PM »
“Don’t cross the crooked step…”

Seems too late reading through the thread.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2023, 06:25:57 AM »
I am so proud of the solidarity you're being shown in this thread, Splent. DTF is a fine place.

One thing I'll mention, only because I didn't see anyone else say it: let your child tell you what support they need.

It means so much to your child that you support them, but sometimes, parents go further with things than their child may want in defensiveness and protection.

If I had an lgbt child, I would suspect some relatives would be similar to your Mom, and I would speak to my child like this: "I totally support you, love you and respect you. But grandma doesn't understand or respect this, and I don't know what you want me to do about it. It's up to you how we are going to handle her."

I would talk to my child about whether they wanted me to confront Grandma for them, whether they wanted to talk to Grandma themselves, or what. Ultimately, you know your child best, and whether your child wants their extended family completely cutoff, or would rather try and fight through the awkwardness and tension with your love and support. Things are not going to get easier for your child, and it's your job to help them figure out how they will navigate through these kind of dilemmas in the future.

Not saying you haven't done or thought about all this, but I'd figured I'd add it anyway, because you never know.

Much love and good on you for being in your child's corner.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2023, 08:55:08 AM »
Wow, that's a great point.  In all this advice -- all quite good, by the way -- no one mentioned actually asking the child what they want, how they'd like to see things handled and/or worked out.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2023, 09:34:36 AM »
I feel like Stads is trying to tell us something but I can't quite grasp it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
I feel like Stads is trying to tell us something but I can't quite grasp it.

:rollin

In all seriousness, I too am a huge proponent of 'talking to someone.'

I realize that a 'therapist' carries with it a connotation for some, but the perspective of an objective third party without a dog in the proverbial race can be invaluable.

The key to remember is this: a 'good' therapist will offer perspective, but not advice. That said, whatever you receive, it is yours to do with as you see fit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »
I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not and I'm too lazy to go back and check, but by all means, reach out and find someone to talk to, a PROFESSIONAL, to help you through these rough waters.  It's their JOB, and - assuming you find a good one - they are well-trained in situations exactly like this.

(I joke, and I'm playing along here, but it's deadly serious; I have eight people living in my house right now, and five of them are in regular therapy - of the other three, one is 1 1/2, one just moved in, and one has a therapist just hasn't gone recently.  I can't stress enough how helpful it can be.  Even my 82 year old dad, before he passed, sought help to help him deal with his wife's - my mom's - Alzheimer's; the therapy didn't really help him because HE couldn't remember what they talked about the session before, but still.)