Author Topic: The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X  (Read 33065 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The downfall of Twitter/the rise of X
« on: November 05, 2022, 06:40:55 AM »
The writing is on the wall.  It has been a cesspool for as long as I can remember, and with Elon Musk's recent actions, it is just a matter of time before it goes the way of myspace, as Musk seems determined to blow a lot of his own money just to watch it burn. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:07:35 AM by KevShmev »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The downfall of Twitter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 06:43:24 AM »
as Musk seems determined to blow a lot of his own money just to watch it burn.

Any chance that that was his intention?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 06:49:11 AM »
It feels like a lot of these big giants have been declining for a long time now. Twitter has gotten worse and worse and is the cesspool of humanity where it brings out the worst in everyone and its only function these days seem to be people pushing the mob mentality to its limits. Facebook is another one that has basically become 70% ads and whenever I scroll through the feed, every 2 or 3 posts there's either advertisement or "recommended for you".

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:43:18 AM »
While the rest of Twitter is a cesspool, it's seriously the best place to follow the Japanese metal scene, so hopefully he doesn't fuck it utoo much. Not holding my breath though. p

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 08:52:04 AM »
You make Twitter what you want.  I have no issues with it since I don't engage in the BS 99% of the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
You make Twitter what you want.  I have no issues with it since I don't engage in the BS 99% of the time.

Yep. Twitter is fine if you properly curate it with blocks, mutes, unfollows, etc. But I suppose it also depends what you use it for and who you engage with. My follow list is very specific to the topics I’m interested in.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 09:27:50 AM »

Given how much Tesla stock he had to leverage to get the loans to pay for it, doubtful. He's just a moron.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »

Given how much Tesla stock he had to leverage to get the loans to pay for it, doubtful. He's just a moron.

Yeah... He definitely led with his ego, and it's gonna cost him for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 10:54:53 AM »

Musk might be a lot of things, but a moron is not one of them.  Morons do not have the intelligence to make the billions he has.

Same here. I am generally only on there for music and, to a lesser degree now, sports, and if anyone I follow starts talking too much about politics or social issues, I unfollow them, but going down the rabbit hole on occasion with whatever nonsense is trending just shows you how awful people are on that platform.  It was basically a free-for-all to say pretty much anything inflammatory.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
Even the smartest people make dumb decisions. Considering how this all went down and how much he tried to get out of it, and how much we're finding out he overpaid for it,  I'd say it's pretty safe to call this a dumb move on his part. And I bet if you got him honest enough, he'd say he wished he never did it.

Either doesn't impact me. I technically have a Twitter account which I think I made just to be able to read people's posts. I even stopped that. Never posted anything and I only go there when a link leads there for something else.

I think it all depends on how you use Twitter. If you use it to follow celebs, it's probably pretty benign. If you follow it to reach a community and spread messages, it's a hell hole. If you use it to follow Japanese metal bands, then you won life. If you use it to see how people are talking about things, then you're seeing the worst of humanity.

Either way, it's nothing more than what the people using it make it. If twitter sucks, it's cause the people who use it suck.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »
Musk might be a lot of things, but a moron is not one of them.  Morons do not have the intelligence to make the billions he has.

Exploiting other people's labour doesn't take much intelligence. ;)
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »
Reading comments from either band pages or sport team pages are the worst.

Also, I'm reading that Musk is implementing a policy where if people want to keep their verified check mark, they got to pay like $10 a month?  Yeah, no one is going to buy that and if it leads to more fake accounts bots on the site, well, what does that say about your policy?

Offline HOF

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 12:52:20 PM »
Reading comments from either band pages or sport team pages are the worst.

Also, I'm reading that Musk is implementing a policy where if people want to keep their verified check mark, they got to pay like $10 a month?  Yeah, no one is going to buy that and if it leads to more fake accounts bots on the site, well, what does that say about your policy?

This is the weird thing to me. It appears that in lieu of whatever the current verification process is, anyone who wants to be verified can just sign up for Twitter Blue for $8 a month. So no one’s identity will actually be verified anymore, and some people who were verified will likely just not pay for it. Elon claims it will fight bots by making it more expensive to be impersonate people, but it will just make it easier to impersonate people (especially if people stop paying for verification).

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 12:54:59 PM »
Is the 8 dollars in lieu of verification process in addition to it? I can't see it being in lieu being a good idea at all. Simply adding 8 dollars to the current process makes sense if you need income.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 01:52:14 PM »

He doesn't pay them?  They didn't apply for the job?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2022, 02:22:17 PM »
Is the 8 dollars in lieu of verification process in addition to it? I can't see it being in lieu being a good idea at all. Simply adding 8 dollars to the current process makes sense if you need income.

From what I’m seeing, you get verified just by signing up/paying. What info about yourself you have to provide is unclear (not sure what the current verification process is either), but the concern is that anyone can basically pay and be verified without any sort of process to prove who you are.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2022, 03:09:19 PM »

You're missing the point.  Apparently, it is not difficult for any moron to take advantage of the laborers and make billions.  I wish I would have known this in my younger years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2022, 03:14:51 PM »
What point? XJ said he exploited workers. He didn't hold them against their will.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 03:22:09 PM »
What point? XJ said he exploited workers. He didn't hold them against their will.

Pretty sure you and I are on the same page here.  :tup :tup

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2022, 04:24:01 PM »

You're missing the point.  Apparently, it is not difficult for any moron to take advantage of the laborers and make billions.  I wish I would have known this in my younger years.

Not ANY moron, just the rich ones.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 06:17:10 PM »
https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/05/twitter-begins-rolling-out-7-99-twitter-blue-plan-with-verification-fewer-ads

So apparently the $8 cost for verified user status is what has been settled on. Will be interesting to see how they verify people's identity when any random schmoe can now sign up for it. I imagine it must be some kind of automated process given Elon's been firing a lot of the staff...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 01:29:39 AM »
While it's true you can mute/block/ignore your way through Twitter to have a better experience, that doesn't change the fact the place itself has turned into something bad though. That's like if your kid is being bullied at school and you say "Just close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and the bad things will go away" :P It's unfortunate that it brings out the worst in many people. I would be all for a Twitter where you're stuck with your real name so there's some consequences to what you write, but I know that doesn't stop people from being jackasses on Facebook so it probably wouldn't fix much unfortunately. Maybe better moderation would help?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2022, 07:23:03 AM »
While it's true you can mute/block/ignore your way through Twitter to have a better experience, that doesn't change the fact the place itself has turned into something bad though. That's like if your kid is being bullied at school and you say "Just close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and the bad things will go away" :P It's unfortunate that it brings out the worst in many people. I would be all for a Twitter where you're stuck with your real name so there's some consequences to what you write, but I know that doesn't stop people from being jackasses on Facebook so it probably wouldn't fix much unfortunately. Maybe better moderation would help?

I don't think it would because the ones in charge love see their agendas pushed, even if presented in a trolling manner.

I lost track at how many stupid things I have seen trending over the years where when you click on the subject, barely anyone is talking about, so it shouldn't be trending, but they obviously have measures in place (that are far above my head) to push certain issues, narratives, etc.  As terrible as the news media is at stirring up trouble with social justice matters for example, social media is now just as bad thanks to stuff like this, and arguably far more dangerous now since the average person likely spends a lot more time now on social media than they do watching and/or reading the news media.  And I suspect it will be just as bad with Musk in charge, just with a different agenda in place.

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »
So it looks like what I thought would happen would happen. Tons of people created fake celeb accounts, got their blue check and are now posting spam as those celebs. Including Elon Musk. I suspect a major change to their system soon enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »
Well, gee.  You would think if they implemented a system like this that requires paying money that they would get this cleaned up before it goes out or not be greedy and not implement it at all.  Don't know why big shots don't think like that.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »
Who would have thought forcing programmers to rush out a feature under threat of firing would cause that feature to be underbaked on launch.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 12:50:28 PM »
I hope they realize how much leverage they have now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 12:54:27 PM »
I hope they realize how much leverage they have now.

Part of me hopes they tell Elon go sod off.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2022, 03:57:04 PM »
Well...those celebs who refused to pony up $8 have lost their blue check.  I'm looking at Stephen King's feed with his 22.3 million followers without a blue check and realizing that there is very likely a new Stephen King account with a blue check that the gullible among us (read 85% of Twitter users) will assume is him.

Some of you will get this reference.  I had a good laugh
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »
Shocker. Looks like Elon will be banning people who use a fake name with a blue check (unless they announce that it's a fake name).

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2022, 08:17:42 PM »
Well...those celebs who refused to pony up $8 have lost their blue check.  I'm looking at Stephen King's feed with his 22.3 million followers without a blue check and realizing that there is very likely a new Stephen King account with a blue check that the gullible among us (read 85% of Twitter users) will assume is him.

Some of you will get this reference.  I had a good laugh

The hilarious thing is that people like Tim Pool are not going to pay his $8 either.

I have a Twitter, but I hardly post on it. So if Twitter does collapse, I won't be all emotional over it.

It's not like it was Myspace, now that was a great site that should've stayed. It was great in how it was your own personal page, basically your own space. I've seen some pages that were really well designed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 12:42:43 AM »
In somewhat unrelated news, tumblr is about to get a lot more popular.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 02:00:58 AM »
In somewhat unrelated news, tumblr is about to get a lot more popular.

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2022, 03:37:57 AM »
Shocker. Looks like Elon will be banning people who use a fake name with a blue check (unless they announce that it's a fake name).
looks like he's already had several people who were imitating him banned even when their bio stated that they were parody accounts