Author Topic: Avatar: The Way of Water  (Read 9168 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2022, 10:55:27 AM »
I tend to find with most movies, and Way of Water specifically, that I can walk out of the movie having really enjoyed it and not really thinking about the small flaws I noticed along the way. Both Avatar movies did such a great job of sucking me into the environment and story that the flaws didn't stick with me right away. It's only later that I recall little things that bug me or think about mediocre or generic writing. It's rare that those after the fact annoyances ruin a movie for me, but it's happened.

Usually, I'm the same, unless it was something that really jumped out at me and took me out of the moment for some reason. 

Anyhow, saw it last night.  There are some things that bother me about the series, and those are amplified in this film.  But that being said, getting past those basic things, it was an enjoyable movie.  I thought the story was better than the first, and I enjoyed this one more.  The effects and cinematography of it all were just gorgeous, and I'm really glad I got to see it in 3D.  The water stuff was all so well done and immersive.  Really amazing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2023, 06:11:51 PM »
Watched it today, and I liked it, I liked it even more than the first one.
the visuals were sooooo captivating, I simply love the very well done work here.
The family aspect of the movie was on point, I love it.

The story has some flaws though and the writing on some parts was lame. The other thing I didn't like was that IMO it is unnecessary long.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2023, 06:31:09 PM »
It's called way of the water because if you can manage to go the whole movie without a pee break you become an avatar

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »
I caught Way of the Water (or at least most of it, had to step out into the lobby for a few minutes in the middle for a work emergency).Overall I felt similar to the first one. The visual effects are absolutely stunning and the creativity and vision to flesh out the world of Pandora is impressive. The story and acting are there, and they're fine, but they're not doing anything particularly interesting to me. I'm glad I went to see it once, and if I had an Imax screen near me I might go a second time, but I won't have any desire to watch it at home.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2023, 08:02:38 PM »
It's called way of the water because if you can manage to go the whole movie without a pee break you become an avatar
I became an Avatar then.

Finally saw it, and I liked it. Not sure I would say is better than the first one but it is good. Couple of things bothered me, but it didn't take away from.enhoying the movie.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2023, 04:51:19 AM »
I watched it a second time and I must say I didn’t like it as in my first watch.
I think it is TOO identical as the first movie but with a family and in the water.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2023, 05:20:03 AM »
I've kind of had the opposite experience. I saw it for a fourth time over the weekend. My first watch left me with quite a recycled taste in my mouth, but I didn't feel that way leaving the theater this time. I'm struggling to verbalize why. My brain isn't in gear yet on this Monday morning. With each rewatch I get more interested in where the franchise is going to go.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2023, 06:26:53 AM »
I've kind of had the opposite experience. I saw it for a fourth time over the weekend. My first watch left me with quite a recycled taste in my mouth, but I didn't feel that way leaving the theater this time. I'm struggling to verbalize why. My brain isn't in gear yet on this Monday morning. With each rewatch I get more interested in where the franchise is going to go.

I only saw it once, but I did leave the theater with the same feeling of interested in seeing where the story will go. I just hope it doesn't feel very similar to what we've seen so far. Though I read the next one will have a darker tone, as it deals more with the Na'vi, rather their conflict with humans.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2023, 06:32:52 AM »

I only saw it once, but I did leave the theater with the same feeling of interested in seeing where the story will go. I just hope it doesn't feel very similar to what we've seen so far. Though I read the next one will have a darker tone, as it deals more with the Na'vi, rather their conflict with humans.

I'm excited to see that for sure. Looks like we're going to be introduced to a hostile clan.

https://geektyrant.com/news/james-cameron-teases-that-avatar-3-will-address-the-ash-people-as-well-as-a-darker-side-of-the-navi
" I want to reveal the Na’vi from another angle because, for the moment, I have only shown their good sides. In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Na’vi examples. In Avatar 3, we’ll have the opposite.”

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2023, 12:05:52 PM »
I'm excited to see that for sure. Looks like we're going to be introduced to a hostile clan.

https://geektyrant.com/news/james-cameron-teases-that-avatar-3-will-address-the-ash-people-as-well-as-a-darker-side-of-the-navi
" I want to reveal the Na’vi from another angle because, for the moment, I have only shown their good sides. In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Na’vi examples. In Avatar 3, we’ll have the opposite.”

Something else I read, which I think is interesting but could end up affecting production, is that the scenes with the kids for the nest two movies were already filmed. Apparently to avoid showing aging by the younger actors (Stranger Things issues, as they're calling it).

If the story calls for the kids to be the same age in future movies, I get it, but it puts them in a difficult situation if they need to reshoot any scenes later on.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2023, 12:17:47 PM »

Something else I read, which I think is interesting but could end up affecting production, is that the scenes with the kids for the nest two movies were already filmed. Apparently to avoid showing aging by the younger actors (Stranger Things issues, as they're calling it).

If the story calls for the kids to be the same age in future movies, I get it, but it puts them in a difficult situation if they need to reshoot any scenes later on.

Correct. There's going to be a time hop of several years 30-40 minutes into the 4th film. So the kids filmed all their scenes for the beginning of the movie, and then the rest will be filmed with the new/older actors when the time comes. You have to keep in mind that TWOW started filming like 5 years ago. If JC waited to film their parts for #4, they'd be adults by then. By the sounds of it, filming for the third movie is basically wrapped at this point as well and has already entered post.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:29:26 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2023, 07:01:26 AM »

Correct. There's going to be a time hop of several years 30-40 minutes into the 4th film. So the kids filmed all their scenes for the beginning of the movie, and then the rest will be filmed with the new/older actors when the time comes. You have to keep in mind that TWOW started filming like 5 years ago. If JC waited to film their parts for #4, they'd be adults by then. By the sounds of it, filming for the third movie is basically wrapped at this point as well and has already entered post.

It's slated to release next Christmas season again so I'm sure they're well into post production.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2023, 11:48:05 AM »
Just a PSA to the forum that this movie will be available on streaming platforms tomorrow. Disney+, Max, and a few others will have it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »
Just a PSA to the forum that this movie will be available on streaming platforms tomorrow. Disney+, Max, and a few others will have it.

I'm thinking about watching this on my phone. Good idea?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »

And in two weeks both movies come out on 4k Blu-ray too. Should look great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2023, 02:58:01 PM »

Make sure the audio is through your phone as well. Do not use headphones.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2023, 03:37:14 PM »

Make sure the audio is through your phone as well. Do not use headphones.

I was just going to use subtitles. No audio.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2023, 10:48:29 PM »
I know the film did really well. But didn’t it underperform? Is that going to have an effect of Cameron’s 5-film vision?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2023, 06:02:32 AM »
I know the film did really well. But didn’t it underperform? Is that going to have an effect of Cameron’s 5-film vision?

It made 2.3B worldwide, and had descent reviews (Just slightly lower than the first one), I would say that's pretty good.

Online faizoff

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2023, 07:33:52 PM »

It's slated to release next Christmas season again so I'm sure they're well into post production.

The movies have moved the release dates now:

I have to say I really regret not seeing on the big screen. On first watch I liked the 2nd movie more than the first one. On the 2nd watch I DEFINITELY prefer it over the 1st one, not that I disliked it.
I'll be picking up the 4k blu-rays sets soon enough and dive into the 3+hours of extras on the discs. The few extras they had on Disney+ were great and just mind blowing how much technology has advanced since the last one.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2023, 10:36:04 PM »
Not sure I can rank them.  They both were "good," and had unique things that worked and didn't work.  I'd put them about on par with one another. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
I go back and forth on which one I think is better, or which one I like more.

The first one holds a permanent place in my heart and will never budge. TWOW improved on so many things, and had a fantastic story filled world building. The score was weak though, and I missed the Na'vi language throughout. I loved that aspect of the first one.

There are also a number of moments in TWOW that I just really can't stand for some reason. I really hated the way General Ardmore's (Soprano's lady) character was introduced and portrayed. For a movie/franchise that's so hardcore about maintaining a world and environment that' plausible, she came off as such a caricature. Jim took the elements that made me eye roll at Quaritch's character in the first film and doubled down on them with her.

TWOW had a huge hole in it toward the end as well, when the Metkayina seemingly vanish from the final. I guess there was an enter sequence shot and rendered, but it was removed from the final cut. It made a 3:10:00 movie even longer, and test audiences said it broke up the flow of the film's final act. Apparently is was pretty brutal as well, from a violence standpoint. I hope it's included in a director's cut down the line, even though Jim has already said we aren't going to get one.

I think TWOW is the better movie. If I built out some sort of grading rubric and filled it out for both movies, I think it'd have a higher score. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2023, 06:23:26 AM »
Watched this the other night, it was alright. Stroy was paper thin, and fuck did it drag out, but visually it was cool. I couldn't help thinking of the Tracksuit Mafia from Hawkeye with the way the brothers used 'bro' in every sentence, except it wasn't humorous.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2023, 03:38:28 PM »
Thanks to DisneyPlus I watched the two Avatar movies back to back. I haven't seen the original one since 2010, probably. Enjoyed it quite a lot, I thought it would have been a "chore" ("Ah ok, this happened... alright, there was also this thing that happened...") but it was quite fun. Oh, and I also watched them both split in two, over two days each, because screw long movies I guess.

I agree with most of the comments - amazing visuals, the story could have been better. But The Way of Water is still enjoyable, maybe not worth the long wait, but it was visually stunning. At times it didn't feel a completely different planet, just "what if Polinesia was in space", but overall there were so many cool moments who made you really feel the beauty of the place. Also, horns up for the "whale" plunging itself on the ship and causing havoc while everyone was shooting at her  :metal

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2023, 05:32:30 PM »
I can accept them speaking mostly English even though they're fully immersed in the culture now since we're Humans and we need to be able to watch the movie easily...

... what I can't accept, though, is the kids saying "bro" and "cuz" so often.  It's 150+ years from now and there's no 21st-century TV there and nobody talks like that so there's no reason for them to have this "our era" slang in their vocabulary.  Jake doesn't talk like this at all.  It really took me away from the world-building that Cameron spends so much time on and I can't believe he went this way for this aspect of the culture.

I also feel they blew their wad with Quaritch way too soon that I'm not sure where they're gonna go from here with the story.  It feels like he should have been at the end of this movie or, even better, the end of the second movie when he finally returns to wreak havoc.

I think Neytiri was mostly wasted.

Did the new movie actually look *worse* in many spots than the first Avatar in 2009?  Maybe I was expecting too much considering how quickly technology advances but I felt underwhelmed with the visuals.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »
I can accept them speaking mostly English even though they're fully immersed in the culture now since we're Humans and we need to be able to watch the movie easily...

... what I can't accept, though, is the kids saying "bro" and "cuz" so often.  It's 150+ years from now and there's no 21st-century TV there and nobody talks like that so there's no reason for them to have this "our era" slang in their vocabulary.  Jake doesn't talk like this at all.  It really took me away from the world-building that Cameron spends so much time on and I can't believe he went this way for this aspect of the culture.

They weren't actually speaking English though. Jake explains it in his very first dialog and we hear his children go from speaking English to Na'vi mid-conversation. They're using Na'vi words and "bro" and "cuz" are close translations (keep in mind they are a very tribal/communal/family people) that the audience would understand. Jake calls non-family people "brother" and "sister" all the time.

I also feel they blew their wad with Quaritch way too soon that I'm not sure where they're gonna go from here with the story.  It feels like he should have been at the end of this movie or, even better, the end of the second movie when he finally returns to wreak havoc.

Nah. He's got plenty of development left and his story can go a bunch of ways. Does he stick with the RDA, or does Pandora slowly convert him to the point he and Jake are fighting side-by-side in the 5th film?

I think Neytiri was mostly wasted.

She'll get her time to shine. I do think she had some of the best scenes in this movie though. Her going completely ape shit with rage before taking Spider hostage was pretty intense. My guess is she's going to end up being the hero/co-hero of the franchise (Jake's definitely going to die before the end).

Did the new movie actually look *worse* in many spots than the first Avatar in 2009?  Maybe I was expecting too much considering how quickly technology advances but I felt underwhelmed with the visuals.

I thought it exceeded the first film in pretty much every category. I think the forest in the first film allowed a lot of imperfections to be hidden, especially during action sequences (think Jurassic Park at nighttime in the rain). James did say in a few interviews that the leaps in the latest tech weren't centered around graphics but rather capturing footage underwater and being able to motion capture dozens of actors and actresses at a time rather than just a handful.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:12:44 AM by Chino »