Author Topic: Avatar: The Way of Water  (Read 9166 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2022, 04:10:06 PM »
I have said it before, but still don't get the railing on Avatar 1 though. I recently saw and rewatched a whole bunch of non-mcu blockbusters and Avatar (Fast 6 and 7, Bumblebee, Ghostbuster Afterlife, Godzilla v Kong, No Time to Die) and on my re-viewing I think Avatar 1 is significantly better than any of those. To me most complaints are applicable to nearly any blockbuster, both new and old. I also can't think of much original properties than venture into fantasy-esque scifi settings that aren't a trainwreck. Even most Star Wars films are way worse, in particular the latest two mainline films.

You have a point but I wonder if part of it is the fact Avatar is the most successful movie ever and the 2.7 billion grossed (or however high it is now). Most of the MCU movies fall in the 'enjoyable but forgettable' category for me so I'm not gonna argue they are better but they pump those movies out, they make between 500 million to 1 billion (usually) and then you kinda move on. The fact Avatar is the king of the hill probably makes it a target for people finding flaws where they might overlook them in other movies. Similar to how a lot of people find a need to shit on The Beatles whenever someone points out they are the most influential band ever, just as an example.

Seeing Avatar (and Avatar 2 even more so) in the cinema was a spectacle and definitely a cooler experience than seeing most superhero movies, however seeing Avatar at home earlier this year was kinda 'meh'. Not bad, just a lot less impressive. But that's to be expected seeing as movies age.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2022, 04:46:00 PM »
I have said it before, but still don't get the railing on Avatar 1 though. I recently saw and rewatched a whole bunch of non-mcu blockbusters and Avatar (Fast 6 and 7, Bumblebee, Ghostbuster Afterlife, Godzilla v Kong, No Time to Die) and on my re-viewing I think Avatar 1 is significantly better than any of those. To me most complaints are applicable to nearly any blockbuster, both new and old. I also can't think of much original properties than venture into fantasy-esque scifi settings that aren't a trainwreck. Even most Star Wars films are way worse, in particular the latest two mainline films.

You have a point but I wonder if part of it is the fact Avatar is the most successful movie ever and the 2.7 billion grossed (or however high it is now). Most of the MCU movies fall in the 'enjoyable but forgettable' category for me so I'm not gonna argue they are better but they pump those movies out, they make between 500 million to 1 billion (usually) and then you kinda move on. The fact Avatar is the king of the hill probably makes it a target for people finding flaws where they might overlook them in other movies. Similar to how a lot of people find a need to shit on The Beatles whenever someone points out they are the most influential band ever, just as an example.

Seeing Avatar (and Avatar 2 even more so) in the cinema was a spectacle and definitely a cooler experience than seeing most superhero movies, however seeing Avatar at home earlier this year was kinda 'meh'. Not bad, just a lot less impressive. But that's to be expected seeing as movies age.

Yeah, I think that is a good point.

And perhaps it being a mostly serious affair with little humor might add to it. Most blockbusters are very quippy and have an edge of comedy to it, Avatar is mostly quite serious and dramatic. The film takes itself more seriously, so maybe people view it with another lens because of it. But for me this is actually also partially a reason why I think Avatar does offer something else than a lot of other blockbusters in fantastical settings.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
Just got back and I will say I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think it was a better overall movie than the first one and……and this statement will certainly be controversial for this forum……I enjoyed that movie more than any single Marvel movie I’ve ever seen. Better on all fronts IMO but that’s certainly subjective

as with any Marvel or ‘action’ type movie if you’re heading in to this movie looking for some Oscar level storyline then you’re in the wrong movie. But I will say this storyline resonated with me more than the first one…..probably because I’m an aging father and this centered around family etc etc.

There hasn’t been a movie or show that I can think of that can even come close to matching this one visually, as with the first one when it came out this one raises the bar and is in a league of its own. it’s pretty beautiful, and the under water scenes are remarkable all around.

The action/fight scenes were just good enough to be exciting but not so over the top ‘superhero movie’ style where you roll your eyes. Anyway, I’m sure there will be naysayers just because but for me this was money well spent and I’ll probably go back to the theater to see it one more time at least.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »
I have said it before, but still don't get the railing on Avatar 1 though.

For me the movie became predictable which made it boring and a bit of a chore to sit through. The visuals weren't really doing it for me and I couldn't care less about the characters. Nothing about it seemed particularly new or interesting, at least from the on screen product.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »
I have said it before, but still don't get the railing on Avatar 1 though.

For me the movie became predictable which made it boring and a bit of a chore to sit through. The visuals weren't really doing it for me and I couldn't care less about the characters. Nothing about it seemed particularly new or interesting, at least from the on screen product.

For me...once I get beyond the visuals, it's really fucking vanilla storytelling. Plus I'm eternally resentful at how he blatantly ripped off Roger Dean and got away with it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
Just got back and I will say I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think it was a better overall movie than the first one and……and this statement will certainly be controversial for this forum……I enjoyed that movie more than any single Marvel movie I’ve ever seen. Better on all fronts IMO but that’s certainly subjective

Might be controversial generally, but I'm with you. Marvel movies flat out are not good. Avatar 1 was much better than any of the Marvel movies I've seen.  Haven't seen Avatar 2 and probably won't if I'm being honest, mostly because I don't enjoy the movie theater experience anymore.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2022, 01:06:30 PM »
Saw it today.

It was fine. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Held my interest until about the 2 hour mark, then I started spacing out. I've only seen the first one once and that will probably be the same with the sequel.

3D was very cool and enjoyable. That was honestly the main selling point for me. Besides that I can't think of anything else really to say.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 02:11:25 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2022, 07:41:04 AM »
One of my questions about these movies is......what's the end game? There is no 'realistic' end game that doesn't end with the earth sent humans taking over Pandora. These small little battles can be won by the Navi here and there but ultimately the sheer force of humanity and the technology WILL overtake them and win out. I don't see how it wouldn't or won't.

Maybe Cameron goes the 'spiritual' route and Pandora just does what it did at the end of the first movie and fights back as a whole planet but then that's just a rehash and cop out.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
The movie was decent but the main antagonist Quaritch is such a lame and predictable character. I didn't like him in the first movie and seeing him and the others as Na'vis was ridiculous with tats and sunglasses.  :lol

The whole premise of Quaritch going on a personal vendetta mission with a whole army just to avenge Jake Sully was just... :facepalm: and the fact that he's apparently in all three sequels...sigh.

The visuals was of course fantastic but that couldn't save a 3 hour movie, it was kinda of a chore to watch the whole thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2022, 05:29:38 AM »
It's not really a personal vendetta mission. I mean, I guess maybe to him it is, but it is his mission on the whole. Jake was Toruk Makto and had the ability to unite all the clans, and Quaritch's directive was to eliminate him to prevent another uprising like the one we saw in the first film. Jake was also leading raid parties and destroying key supply chain infrastructure. Anyway, I think we're going to see Quartich's sights shift to Neytiri. I'm pretty sure Quaritch killed her sister and now her son. Quaritch also knows it's her that killed him and not Jake. Neytiri is going to start hunting Quaritch I think.

One of my questions about these movies is......what's the end game? There is no 'realistic' end game that doesn't end with the earth sent humans taking over Pandora. These small little battles can be won by the Navi here and there but ultimately the sheer force of humanity and the technology WILL overtake them and win out. I don't see how it wouldn't or won't.

Maybe Cameron goes the 'spiritual' route and Pandora just does what it did at the end of the first movie and fights back as a whole planet but then that's just a rehash and cop out.

I've wondered that too. We might not get a resolution. Or maybe it takes the Don't Look Up route and the fifth movie ends with the Na'vi race getting wiped out.

We don't know how much time is going to pass in these films. I know there's a time jump in the 4th one like a half hour in, but I don't think it's more than a few years. If Earth is a ticking time bomb right now, all Pandora/the Na'vi have to do is wait out the clock. Earth and humanity would fail to the point where it could no longer support the interstellar travel.   

I don't know if I agree with the rehash and cop out comment. We saw a number of animals come together to help the Na'vi fight off some helicopters and a shuttle in a relatively small battle. We haven't seen the "whole planet" (it's a moon :chino:) fight back against humanity's last stand yet. Who knows what Kiri is capable of, being the physical manifestation of Eywa and all. Being science fiction, Cameron has the green light to allow her to do pretty much anything. Summon storms? Cause volcanoes to erupt? Modify the magnetic field to turn floating mountains into projectiles? I have no idea. Can't wait to see!

This is a screen shot from the upcoming Frontiers of Pandora game. I'm thinking we see that thing in the next movie. We might get a rehash of a pandora/human fight, but it'll be on a much grander scale. Look at that chonker.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 04:55:48 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2022, 07:18:46 AM »
I don't know if I agree with the rehash and cop out comment.

'cop out' might have been a bit harsh....I guess....it just seems like the only logical direction he could take for the Na'vi and the planet for that matter to 'win'

I dug the movie and as I said felt more connected to the story just due to the family nature of it all.....I'll probably see it one more time in the theater with my other two sons and then just wait for streaming.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2022, 07:19:34 AM »
I don't know if I agree with the rehash and cop out comment.

'cop out' might have been a bit harsh....I guess....it just seems like the only logical direction he could take for the Na'vi and the planet for that matter to 'win'....which is predictable. Predictable can be fine as long as it's done well, which Cameron usually spares no expense in doing so.

I dug the movie and as I said felt more connected to the story just due to the family nature of it all.....I'll probably see it one more time in the theater with my other two sons and then just wait for streaming.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:18:42 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2022, 08:05:21 AM »

'cop out' might have been a bit harsh....I guess....it just seems like the only logical direction he could take for the Na'vi and the planet for that matter to 'win'

That sense of strong, stable and supportive family was hands down my favorite part of the movie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2022, 10:41:33 AM »
If Earth is a ticking time bomb right now, all Pandora/the Na'vi have to do is wait out the clock. Earth and humanity would fail to the point where it could no longer support the interstellar travel.   

Where it could potentially go eventually is something along the lines of:  both races are in danger, and the preservation of both humanity and Na'vi lies in a new hybrid race formed from the two coming together.  Or maybe that is just coming from my Galactica rewatch.  :lol

I don't know if I agree with the rehash and cop out comment. We saw a number of animals come together to help the Na'vi fight off some helicopters and a shuttle in a relatively small battle. We haven't see the "whole planet" (it's a moon :chino:) fight back yet against humanity's last stand yet. Who knows what Kiri is capable of, being the physical manifestation of Eywa and all. Being science fiction, Cameron has the green light to allow her to do pretty much anything. Summon storms? Cause volcanoes to erupt? Modify the magnetic field to turn floating mountains into projectiles? I have no idea.

Well...what if maybe you unintentionally hit on something with the bolded above?  Maybe at some point, we get a scope shift and find out that it isn't just Pandora that's "sentient," but the entire planetary system, and that Eywa is just a smaller part of that.  Suddenly, we could then be dealing not just with Pandora, but with the planet and its other moons too, and possibly unknown beings on those worlds in addition to the Na'vi (or maybe variations of Na'vi).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
I watched it. I enjoyed it!

My only real complaint is that along with the 3D glasses, they should have installed a catheter bag.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »

My only real complaint is that along with the 3D glasses, they should have installed a catheter bag.

:lol   No kidding. I literally up to the last trailer ran out to empty the tank three times before settling in.....made it through the whole movie.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2022, 03:15:14 PM »

:lol   No kidding. I literally up to the last trailer ran out to empty the tank three times before settling in.....made it through the whole movie.

Try it without a prostate, bucko!  :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2022, 04:01:21 PM »

I thought I was gonna make it, but around the 2 hour 15 mark I had to duck out for a p break.

They should have given out Pampers with the glasses  :lol
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 05:37:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2022, 05:51:12 PM »
With longer movies being so common, I wouldn't mind if they made the longer ones with a short intermission.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2022, 04:46:15 AM »
Saw this last night and loved it. I agree with most of the stuff you all have been saying. Visually stunning. I was pulled into the world just like the first one. Story was good, but not great.

I particularly agree with the statements that this movie is better than anything in the MCU, and I love the MCU. Maybe Infinity War or Endgame is right up there, but otherwise this is on another level to other blockbuster movies.

The effects were so amazing that I feel like there is absolutely no excuse for the shitty CGI we see in other movies these days. The crazy thing is the first Avatar movie had effects almost this good more than a decade ago. This is probably the difference of Avatar being a passion project for James Cameron, versus just another MCU or DC movie for whoever is making those films.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2022, 11:01:52 AM »
lonestar: that's awesome  :lol. Not nearly enough movies have awesome metal soundtracks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »
Story was good, but not great.

My issue with the story (right now) is that it's not really addressing the larger issue of the humans are coming and there's simply no way the Na'vi can defeat them. I can see that they've set up Kiri to be (as Brian stated) this 'Jesus-esque' figure that will most likely be 'the' way the humans are ultimately defeated and turned away forever. Which is fine if it's done well. Not the most original story but let's be honest....most every movie or show out there is just re-telling a version of an older story as there aren't too many 'original' ideas floating around these days. So I'm good with that outcome (if that's really where it's going) as long as it's done well. So, while I have the issue of the 'end game' not being addressed heavily thus far I'm sure that the story as a whole will tell itself when we see the completed overarching storyline told with all the movies.

For me the AVATAR movies/story resonate because it 'speaks' to me more. Even the rehashed storyline of the first movie was done well enough for me not to really care that it has been told multiple different ways in different movies/books. Was still done in a unique enough manner to where I felt invested in the characters and it continued on and built more in the second movie with the focus on the family aspect.

I particularly agree with the statements that this movie is better than anything in the MCU, and I love the MCU. Maybe Infinity War or Endgame is right up there, but otherwise this is on another level to other blockbuster movies.

Yeah...I stated that right off the bat and still stick by it. I think those MCU movies are pretty good but if we're critiquing storytelling then those movies for whatever reason seem to get off the hook for run of the mill storylines primarily because of the CGI and their 'bang em up' nature. It's OK to use the CGI but man...it's SO over saturated and relied upon. The exact same thing can be said about AVATAR but the glaring difference is you don't 'notice' it in AVATAR given how well it's done....it's seamless and beautiful and just blends well with your viewing experience. The CGI in the MCU does not 'disappear' when viewing it like AVATARS does. When placed next to each other MCU vs AVATAR I side with AVATAR due to 1) It's visually superior in EVERY aspect...not even close and 2) I 'care' about the characters more in AVATAR   But as I mentioned in my original post...that's just 'me' and it's all subjective.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2022, 02:02:21 PM »
Curious why you think a human victory is inevitable? There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of humans on the planet and probably billions of Navi and other creatures hostile to humans. Navi can defeat human technology relatively easily as shown in the movies. It's not easy for humans to get there so bring reinforcements is very time consuming and expensive. Sure, if humans wanted to blast the crap out the planet they could, but they want a functional planet to move humanity to.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »
I saw it last night. But man, I do NOT get how people give this movie a pass and act like the MCU is worse.

Tastes and opinions and all that, but from my vantage point, there is no more “generic” villain in modern movie history than Quarich. (I had to look up his actual characters name because he was so one dimensional and bland that you may as well have called him “Col. Very Bad Man”)

The visuals were excellent, and the family stuff was good. But I couldn’t shake the feeling that the entire screenplay felt like one of those scripts you see as a joke where someone made an AI watch 1000 sci-fi films and then spit out a script.

I found even the worst MCU villain to be more engaging and well crafted than Biff McBadguy.  Or was it Beef Chucksteak? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2022, 04:49:37 PM »
Actually I just figured out who Splint Chesthair reminded me of.  Anyone remember the main secret agent from Beavis and Butthead Do America? He was voiced by Robert Stack. I forget his name too. Probably Punch Rockgroin.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2022, 05:32:08 AM »
I agree with pretty much all of the appreciation, and the criticisms of the movie.  But like Gary said, we're not going to see this movie for the story/plot.  As I remember Lucas saying in an interview during the prequel releases "I'm a visual story-teller".  Clearly, so is Cameron.  To that end, I give the visuals an A; the story gets a C-, so overall it's a solid B.

The other aspect to the story I don't get is why do humans even want to colonize this moon?  The atmosphere isn't breathable to them, ffs.  Why travel for almost 6 years one way to an inhospitable environment?  Also, how - IN ONE YEAR - did humans figure out that hunting the tolkun to harvest their brain fluids reduces / stops aging?  Last beef ... in 140 years, $80M is a large amount of money?  Does inflation cease to exist in the future?  It would've been more believable if that Cap'n had said that vial was worth $80B.  Did both jingle.son and I mis-hear him?

Visually, breath-taking.  The core of the story-line, not bad.  Some of the finer details to support the story,  ::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2022, 06:31:05 AM »
Also, how - IN ONE YEAR - did humans figure out that hunting the tolkun to harvest their brain fluids reduces / stops aging?  Last beef ... in 140 years, $80M is a large amount of money?  Does inflation cease to exist in the future?  It would've been more believable if that Cap'n had said that vial was worth $80B.  Did both jingle.son and I mis-hear him?

Visually, breath-taking.  The core of the story-line, not bad.  Some of the finer details to support the story,  ::)

Two things.

Why would you assume the humans had only been there one year? The commercial fishing companies could have been there for years. Throughout the timeline of the human occupation...away from the land action of the science teams and the military conflicts.

Did he actually say dollars or did he say it's worth eighty-million? Period. I honestly don't remember. If he did say simply 80 million, it would probably be a global currency since, apparently, human-kind is united in their search to find a planet to pillage and rape. A new global currency would not have the same purchasing value of dollars from 180 years in the past.

[edit]
See below
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:45:34 AM by Podaar »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »

The other aspect to the story I don't get is why do humans even want to colonize this moon?  The atmosphere isn't breathable to them, ffs.  Why travel for almost 6 years one way to an inhospitable environment? 

Because it's really close to Earth in other aspects. It's got all the materials we need. Similar enough gravity. More than enough water. Stable ecosystem/weather that is relatively calm most of the time. The air is filterable easily enough.. etc. The likelihood of us finding a celestial body with an atmosphere we could could just walk out and breathe is very slim, let alone such a place that also checks all the other boxes as well.   

6 years away might be the closest and most feasible thing we've found. We don't have a lot of options right next door, and in the words of Truman in the movie Armageddon, "it's a big ass sky". 

Also, how - IN ONE YEAR - did humans figure out that hunting the tolkun to harvest their brain fluids reduces / stops aging?

It wasn't indicated that that substance was discovered to do that in just the last year. Humans have been doing research on Pandora long before the first film took place. It's entirely possible that that discovery was made in the 13 years between films and now being turned into an industry now that we're back.

in 140 years, $80M is a large amount of money?  Does inflation cease to exist in the future?  It would've been more believable if that Cap'n had said that vial was worth $80B.  Did both jingle.son and I mis-hear him?

The only thing I can think of is that the tube that Mick's holding isn't the "vial" he's referencing. He's saying this stuff sells more $80M a vial back on Earth, and I'm assuming the vials he's referring to are at an injection level, not the cylinder in his hand. The tube that he's holding probably contains enough of the substance to fill dozens, maybe even hundreds of vials. My bigger issue with that scene is the fact that the humans were just going to dump the rest of the creature after they got what they needed. I get Jim was probably trying to nod to what the Europeans did with the buffalo when they got to North America, but it seems like a huge waste of a food source that could feed a lot of human heads. One tulkun is literally tons of food.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:44:26 AM by Chino »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »
I recalled a moment that bugged me a bit when I was watching the other day. The whale hunter guys didn't seem evil, just trying to make money. All of the sudden though, they are chasing Na'vi children? Firing weapons and Na'vi? I don't get that sudden switch. I can see a significant portion of the that crew being like "naw... I'll hunt alien whales, but I'm not trying to capture little kids. I'm out"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2022, 10:00:55 PM »
Chino / Podaar …. All fair points. But for the casual movie goer that only knows what’s been presented on screen (ie, me) that’s a lot of mental gymnastics to perform.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2022, 05:06:29 AM »
Chino / Podaar …. All fair points. But for the casual movie goer that only knows what’s been presented on screen (ie, me) that’s a lot of mental gymnastics to perform.

jingle.boy (we are so formal this morning) I'm the same casual movie goer. I know nothing more than you do but my mind didn't have to even do a sit up.

I think the difference is I'm not a the cinema to find flaws. I read some of the DTF community reviews and can't believe they think that much about plot, dialog, pacing, directing, cgi, casting, writing, costumes, ratio of action to drama, wokeness, lack of diversity, Nick Cage cameos, etc... My dumbass-self is just there to find out if I like the movie or not. I don't try to justify my displeasure (not that that's what any of y'all are doing). I'm going to shut up now.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2022, 06:40:55 AM »

jingle.boy (we are so formal this morning) I'm the same casual movie goer. I know nothing more than you do but my mind didn't have to even do a sit up.

I think the difference is I'm not a the cinema to find flaws. I read some of the DTF community reviews and can't believe they think that much about plot, dialog, pacing, directing, cgi, casting, writing, costumes, ratio of action to drama, wokeness, lack of diversity, Nick Cage cameos, etc... My dumbass-self is just there to find out if I like the movie or not. I don't try to justify my displeasure (not that that's what any of y'all are doing). I'm going to shut up now.

I'm the same (ie, don't try to find flaws) - but sometimes, the flaws (big or small) just slap you in the face.  I can certainly overlook minor flaws, but they're still flaws none-the-less.  On the whole, I very much enjoyed this flick, but it doesn't mean (for me) that being entertained is a binary / black-and-white matter.  There can be layers and nuances to what brings me enjoyment ... be it movies, TV, music, whatever. 

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2022, 07:17:12 AM »
Well said. I concur.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2022, 07:01:16 AM »
I tend to find with most movies, and Way of Water specifically, that I can walk out of the movie having really enjoyed it and not really thinking about the small flaws I noticed along the way. Both Avatar movies did such a great job of sucking me into the environment and story that the flaws didn't stick with me right away. It's only later that I recall little things that bug me or think about mediocre or generic writing. It's rare that those after the fact annoyances ruin a movie for me, but it's happened.