Author Topic: Avatar: The Way of Water  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« on: November 02, 2022, 07:14:33 AM »
Starting a new thread for the new movie.

Official Trailer (released 11/2/2022):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MyW72ELq0 

Hot damn! There's a whole lot to unpack there. It's basically confirmed that Grace is in Kiri.   

T-minus 6 weeks!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Avatar: The Way of Water
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 07:29:09 AM »
Looks Great!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 09:11:38 AM »
Been waiting a LONG time eh Chino?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
Hyped! looks great.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 06:20:31 PM »
Let's see if he left Roger Dean's artwork alone this time.

Can't wait to see it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 06:41:46 PM »
Really looking forward to this movie. I am a big James Cameron fan and he hasn't really ever let me down.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 08:10:49 AM »
It looks very pretty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 10:56:11 AM »
It looks like a video game but I'll be there to see it on opening week. Just hope it has something to latch onto aside from effects which IMO the first one missed. A more interesting story and better written characters and this will easily beat the first one!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 10:57:15 AM »
Pretty visuals aren't enough to make me go see a movie. I'll wait for some reviews, but if it's mostly just the visuals, I'll pass. I've seen pretty stuff, I don't need to spend 25 dollars to watch Jake Sully in pretty scenery.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
Agreed with the above.

The groundbreaking special effects were enough to carry the first one, but moving forward, they are going to need something more to keep the franchise going. The plot line of the first one was just way too thin. They’re going to need more interesting writing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »
Pretty visuals aren't enough to make me go see a movie. I'll wait for some reviews, but if it's mostly just the visuals, I'll pass. I've seen pretty stuff, I don't need to spend 25 dollars to watch Jake Sully in pretty scenery.

Couldn't disagree more...I've enjoyed so many average at best stories because the visuals were so impressive in the theater...Alita, Mortal Engines, even Valerian which had the blandest acting ever kept my interest because it was so visually stunning.

In short...I'm very easy to please.

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »

Couldn't disagree more...I've enjoyed so many average at best stories because the visuals were so impressive in the theater...Alita, Mortal Engines, even Valerian which had the blandest acting ever kept my interest because it was so visually stunning.

Yea. Didn't catch any of those either for the same reason hahaha. And if you're so easy to please, why do I keep putting in so much effort?!?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »

Yea. Didn't catch any of those either for the same reason hahaha. And if you're so easy to please, why do I keep putting in so much effort?!?

Engaged men don't hold my interest...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 03:13:06 PM »

I didn't see Mortal Engines, but Alita and Valerian both had better stories than Avatar.  Alita, I liked although it basically seemed like the first film in a trilogy.  And the only problem I had with Valerian was the miscasting of the lead actors. 

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »

Engaged men don't hold my interest...

Tease.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2022, 04:41:08 AM »
I think I'm with Adami. Generally speaking most 200 million dollar movies nowadays are so stacked with CGI that 'good effects' just doesn't carry as much weight anymore. You expect it. James Cameron is someone I respect as a filmmaker though and he has made some of the all time greats (T1, T2, Aliens, heck even True Lies for me is a really good one) and while Titanic and Avatar falls towards the bottom of his films for me, he still has enough leeway for me that I'll check out Avatar 2. But if this ends up similar to the first one where it's all special effects and the actual content of the movie is a bloated 3 hour 'seen this story before in a Disney film' remade with boring characters and characterization then Avatar 3 might be one I just check out at home.

The first Avatar for me is like a solid 7/10 (at best) that was mostly watchable as a CGI spectacle in the cinema. The foundation is there to make a better second movie and I hope this one is that. I love the water scenery and I have hopes this will be good. Just hope the missing pieces from the first movie have gotten more love and attention this time. :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2022, 09:28:45 AM »

I didn't see Mortal Engines, but Alita and Valerian both had better stories than Avatar.  Alita, I liked although it basically seemed like the first film in a trilogy.  And the only problem I had with Valerian was the miscasting of the lead actors.

Story wise I felt Mortal Engines was the best of the three, visually Valerian was (totally agree about the lead actors though, they really detracted from the final product) . I really wish they'd greenlight the rest of Alita already.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 09:48:51 AM »
New official images released today.

These are some of the recom folks we're getting introduced to

Quaritch:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2022, 03:05:10 AM »
Final trailer!

Oh man!

https://youtu.be/o5F8MOz_IDw

Edit: Tickets are on sale! I picked up a pair for Thursday night (a day early?) and a set of 4 for Friday night!  :metal :metal
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:32:02 AM by Chino »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2022, 08:30:45 AM »
I'll probably wait a week or two to see it, but looks good  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 10:18:16 AM »
Probably should get around to watching the first one at some point.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2022, 02:52:04 PM »
Just read that this movie needs to make $2 BILLION to BREAK EVEN  :omg:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
They should be fine.  Even if the theater numbers don't cut it, they'll have toy and merch sales for years to come. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 03:41:44 PM »
They should be fine.  Even if the theater numbers don't cut it, they'll have toy and merch sales for years to come.

Oh of course….they’ll make money…..that’s just a crazy freaking stat

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 08:54:34 AM »
Just read that this movie needs to make $2 BILLION to BREAK EVEN  :omg:

I'm really curious about the math that went into that figure. I get that there was a huge leap in the tech, and years of development went into it, but still. I'm assuming that development was a huge chunk of that cost. But I can't help but think that that same tech is going to be used in the remaining three films after this one. If you broke that cost out over the next four films instead of just this one, I think that break even point would be much lower. If that's not the case, I can't see how in the fuck this movie cost $2B to make, even with a astronomical marketing budget. That's such a crazy high figure.

Either way, I think this movie will sail right on by the $2B mark. I'm already $200 into ticket purchases (bought for a Saturday showing as well)  :lol. A release in China was confirmed this morning, which is really going to help it at the box office. The first Avatar wasn't really seen in theaters in China until the most recent re-releases.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2022, 10:17:20 AM »
That's really weird.  The norm on big movies is that they spend the production budget over again on marketing, so a $100 million film needs to make more than $200 million to show any profit ($100 million on production, $100 million on marketing).

But of course, that's "real world" profit.  The film world is much different, and film studio economics are notoriously convoluted and Byzantine.  Studios will often claim that huge moneymakers actually lost money, usually to get around paying bonuses and things like that.

Estimates I have seen for this film for a production budget are in the neighborhood of $250-300 million, meaning it would need to hit $500-600 million to break even.  So I don't know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
The 2 billion figure is just pure nonsense and whoever ran with that headline did not do their math and then people just buy it without doing the math. What he actually said wasn't a specific number and I think his quote about it having to be in the top5 most profitable movies was domestically and not world wide which would make numbers way more realistic.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 11:50:34 AM »
That's really weird.  The norm on big movies is that they spend the production budget over again on marketing, so a $100 million film needs to make more than $200 million to show any profit ($100 million on production, $100 million on marketing).

But of course, that's "real world" profit.  The film world is much different, and film studio economics are notoriously convoluted and Byzantine.  Studios will often claim that huge moneymakers actually lost money, usually to get around paying bonuses and things like that.

Estimates I have seen for this film for a production budget are in the neighborhood of $250-300 million, meaning it would need to hit $500-600 million to break even.  So I don't know.
$2 billion at the box office seems really high. That would mean they spent $1 billion on production and marketing. There is absolutely no way they spent that much. No studio exec would ever OK a budget that big. Unless there are other factors at play beyond the normal math of making double the budget at the box office to break even, I am very skeptical of that number.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 04:01:28 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/james-cameron-admits-avatar-2-152636300.html

This is what I read/saw. Not real detailed at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 09:16:11 PM »
I wonder how much of this advertising budget is really necessary in this age of social media? If Cameron just posted a YouTube video saying "Hey, an Avatar sequel is coming, check it out!" wouldn't that suffice? People who want to see this don't need any sort of targeted advertising campaign. People on the fence will get a nudge from their friends and people they follow online. I know I am oversimplifying this, but I have zero internet presence outside of dtf.org, do not watch TV, go to movies, read magazines, follow anyone on social media, and just by virtue of a couple dudes on a prog-metal band's web forum, I know about this film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2022, 12:50:03 AM »
If this is how much is spent on advertising then some advertising/marketing companies are making a lot of money!

I may be reading it wrong but I feel that the $2 billion comment is related to what has been spent so far on all the movies (ie 2 and 3 have been fully shot and maybe some work already done ie $$$ spent on 4 and 5 also). So if The Way of Water tanks at the box office then the whole thing will lose a stack load of money and it will jeopardise the potential release of the other movies. If however, The Way of Water makes $2 billion then it pretty much secures the release of the future movies and justifies all the money spent so far and means the whole venture will make a profit going forward.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2022, 05:41:50 AM »
I wonder how much of this advertising budget is really necessary in this age of social media? If Cameron just posted a YouTube video saying "Hey, an Avatar sequel is coming, check it out!" wouldn't that suffice? People who want to see this don't need any sort of targeted advertising campaign. People on the fence will get a nudge from their friends and people they follow online. I know I am oversimplifying this, but I have zero internet presence outside of dtf.org, do not watch TV, go to movies, read magazines, follow anyone on social media, and just by virtue of a couple dudes on a prog-metal band's web forum, I know about this film.
I always wonder this as well about huge event movies. Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar are going to get huge draws with just some Facebook and YouTube videos and announcements from the studio. I guess there are enough casual fans that need some convincing to see a movie in the theater.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »
Probably should get around to watching the first one at some point.
This is where I'm at. I remember starting the first one years ago and remember laughing at how dumb "unobtainium" sounded. I can't speak for the rest of the movie because I don't remember most of it. I fell asleep a third of the way in.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2022, 06:11:39 AM »
We watched the first movie on blu-ray back in the day and all I remember is my wife and I predicting every scene that was about to happen. We both thought it wasn’t a very good movie.

Would seeing it in 3D have changed our minds? Maybe. But the story being so unoriginal was the real disappointment.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 05:50:07 AM »
This is where I'm at. I remember starting the first one years ago and remember laughing at how dumb "unobtainium" sounded.

It's a joke for engineers. "Unobtanium" has been used since the 60s by aerospace engineers.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman