Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 44181 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 04 & 03 featured!!)
« Reply #1470 on: December 08, 2022, 06:30:17 PM »
So I was really surprised to see the Boston dude on this list. I knew More than a Feeling and that was basically it. Seemed like a one hit wonder to me. So I decided to check out their greatest hits record. A few songs in and it's pretty damn good! I'll keep checking this out.

Just listen to the debut. It's basically a GH album in itself!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1471 on: December 08, 2022, 06:33:46 PM »
IMO, #1 better be the singer who I think it is.

#2 better not be who I think it is.

;) :tup

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1472 on: December 08, 2022, 08:00:54 PM »
Glad to see there were 5 of us who had Tate at #1. Incredible voice in his prime. My memory has blocked out the years where he was a detriment to the music he was singing over.

I had Bruce at #14. When I bought The Number of the Beast as a teenager, I didn’t care for his voice at all. I eventually warmed up to him, but I don’t think he’s a top tier singer. He’s on my list mostly just because of how much I love Maiden.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1473 on: December 08, 2022, 08:03:52 PM »
I had Bruce at #14. When I bought The Number of the Beast as a teenager, I didn’t care for his voice at all. I eventually warmed up to him, but I don’t think he’s a top tier singer. He’s on my list mostly just because of how much I love Maiden.

I used to feel this way up until I heard Balls To Picasso. From that point on, he's been next level for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1474 on: December 08, 2022, 08:09:41 PM »

I used to feel this way up until I heard Balls To Picasso. From that point on, he's been next level for me.

+1

Casual fan until Balls To Picasso and Tears Of The Dragon which had me do a 180 and rediscover the Maiden catalogue :metal

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1475 on: December 08, 2022, 08:13:13 PM »

I have a bunch of Bruce’s solo albums, but I've never actually heard Balls to Picasso.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1476 on: December 08, 2022, 08:15:36 PM »

I have a bunch of Bruce’s solo albums, but I've never actually heard Balls to Picasso.

I remember getting it when it came out. I was blown away by Bruce not only vocally, but creatively. I thought the album had such a fresh feel to it. Compared to TXF, it was such a breath of fresh air.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1477 on: December 08, 2022, 08:35:18 PM »

I remember getting it when it came out. I was blown away by Bruce not only vocally, but creatively. I thought the album had such a fresh feel to it. Compared to TXF, it was such a breath of fresh air.

I will check it out.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1478 on: December 08, 2022, 08:35:49 PM »

I will check it out.  :tup

...and report back I hope!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1479 on: December 08, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »
I'm just very nervous... I mean what if he/she doesn't make it.

Then their career is over, effective immediately.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: December 09, 2022, 12:39:57 AM »
Since it came up earlier, I just realized I did have 2 singers from the same band, though they were not in the band at the same time.

Non rock/metal singers: Donna Summer, Linda Ronstadt.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Animal

« Reply #1481 on: December 09, 2022, 01:09:17 AM »
Reading through this thread, I realize that many of my 'favorite' singers are far from what you'd call talented...yet, they completely move me as artists.

Thom Yorke, Michael Stipe, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and Kip Winger would've all made my top 20, and other than Kip, I'll be the first to say that those are some pretty pedestrian vocalists when it comes to talent.

Calling Dylan pedestrian is an understatement. Excellent songwriter, but if we apply common standards by which people usually judge singing voices, he might be the only vocalist giving Yoko-Ono run for her money as the worst singer ever. But I totally get why someone would rank him - in the context of his songs, his voice just works.
   Stipe was my n. 8. I actually think he is quite talented, but not in terms of power/range.

Offline Animal

« Reply #1482 on: December 09, 2022, 01:14:12 AM »
Bruce Dickinson - my number 1 and like Wolfking my number 1 music idol. Just love Bruce and not only is he a fantastic singer he is also one of the great frontmen, his stage antics and way of involving the audience in the Maiden live show are legendary.   

I'm a guitarist through and through, but Bruce symbolises so many great things that appeal and influence me.  His voice and music is a class above the rest for me, but it's his stage presence, performances, general attitude, his constant striving to break new ground in his life doing so many different things, and his overall arrogance and couldn't give a fuck attitude.  I just dig that.

Yes, just totally agree. Well said. I guess I should not be surprised but I honestly thought Bruce would be number 1 overall. How can you not love the guy?

If the thread was titled "Top 25 musicians you admire most as a person", Bruce would be n.1 contender for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: December 09, 2022, 03:08:16 AM »
Bruce Dickinson - my number 1 and like Wolfking my number 1 music idol. Just love Bruce and not only is he a fantastic singer he is also one of the great frontmen, his stage antics and way of involving the audience in the Maiden live show are legendary.   

I'm a guitarist through and through, but Bruce symbolises so many great things that appeal and influence me.  His voice and music is a class above the rest for me, but it's his stage presence, performances, general attitude, his constant striving to break new ground in his life doing so many different things, and his overall arrogance and couldn't give a fuck attitude.  I just dig that.

Yes, just totally agree. Well said. I guess I should not be surprised but I honestly thought Bruce would be number 1 overall. How can you not love the guy?

If the thread was titled "Top 25 musicians you admire most as a person", Bruce would be n.1 contender for me.

Don't get me wrong, even though he's the full package for me, he's by far my favourite vocalists when talking strictly vocals.  His voice is just something special IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1484 on: December 09, 2022, 03:28:39 AM »
For those who don't know https://www.screamformesarajevo.com/

During the longest siege a capital city has faced in the history of modern warfare, and amid the mortars and grenades, a heavy metal band agreed to play a concert…

Scream for Me Sarajevo is the astonishing story of the most unlikely of rock concerts, performed by Bruce Dickinson and his band Skunkworks in 1994. Risking their lives, they were smuggled into the besieged city to play a concert for its citizens amidst the chaos of war.

He was my #11. Iron Maiden got me into metal (and music generally). Didn't explore his solo work besides Chemical Wedding, i definitely should since i loved CW.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: December 09, 2022, 03:37:02 AM »
Good shout Tomi.  I loved every minute of that documentary.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1486 on: December 09, 2022, 04:41:59 AM »
I will weep for DTF if the Top 2 are not who I think they are.  An hour or so to go I suppose.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1487 on: December 09, 2022, 05:01:06 AM »
I will weep for DTF if the Top 2 are not who I think they are.  An hour or so to go I suppose.

Do you have your suspects in your own 25?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: December 09, 2022, 05:01:55 AM »

Do you have your suspects in your own 25?

But of course.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: December 09, 2022, 05:02:59 AM »
Top 2? Milli and Vanilli, respectively.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: December 09, 2022, 05:34:11 AM »
Top 2? Milli and Vanilli, respectively.

They are for me at least  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!)
« Reply #1491 on: December 09, 2022, 05:43:52 AM »

Before the reveal, thanks again to everyone who submitted a list and participated in this countdown and thread. This one has been a lot of fun!  :tup :tup

02 James LaBrie

Appeared on 26 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (ZirconBlue, SeRox, CharlesPL)
12 Top 10 Finishes

I had James ranked 3rd.  Dream Theater is an all-time top 3 band for me, and I can safely say that I wouldn't have become a fan back in 1993 if not for his voice.  His prime was about as good as that of any rock or metal singer ever.  Images and Words is rock solid proof of that.  Just an amazing singer in his prime.  I am sure some will get stuck on his recent live struggles, and I have talked about them in the proper threads on the DT side, but I do not think they take anything away from his historical (contextually) greatness as a singer.  And I think it is worth noting that his natural singing voice is killer, meaning he can sing in a more subdued fashion and not belt it out and still sound great.  That goes a long way.  Great voice, great singer.

01 Freddie Mercury

Appeared on 25 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (SwedishGoose, DragonAttack, hefdaddy42, KevShmev, DTwwbwMP)
15 Top 10 Finishes

Even though I used the ranker, I knew going in that, "Okay, Freddie will be number 1 and let's see how the rest plays out."  No one was getting voted when pitted against Freddie.  And nor should they.  Just listen to songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody to Love, Flick of the Wrist, Brighton Rock, The Show Must Go On, A Kind of Magic, Don't Stop Me Now, etc.  The list goes on and on and on and on... The greatest rock singer of all time, bar none. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)
« Reply #1492 on: December 09, 2022, 05:46:16 AM »
My top 25 was below. I highlighted the ones who did not make the cumulative top 25.

1   Freddie Mercury
2   Steve Walsh
3   James LaBrie
4   Neal Morse
5   Geddy Lee
6   Devin Townsend
7   Peter Gabriel
8   Dennis DeYoung
9   Rob Halford
10   Billy Joel
11   Geoff Tate
12   Bono
13   Ann Wilson
14   Brad Delp
15   Jon Anderson
16   Tommy Shaw
17   Matt Bellamy
18   David Gilmour
19   Taylor Swift
20   Thom Yorke
21   Dave Matthews
22   Alanis Morissette

23   Anneke van Giersbergen
24   John Lodge
25   Roine Stolt

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1493 on: December 09, 2022, 05:48:28 AM »
Yup, just who I figured. Had Freddie at 3. Only ones on my list I'm surprised didn't make it were Fish and DeYoung.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: December 09, 2022, 05:50:20 AM »
I feel soo much better now that my number 1 is where he belongs at number 1....

Freddie Mercury.... agree with everything Kev said. And for anyone who says differently just go watch Queen at Live Aid

https://youtu.be/bToG3hKX5nM

As for James Labrie, I totally love him and can't imagine DT witha different singer. Yet I am a bit shocked tha he ended up at nr 2. I had hm at 15. :yeahright

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1495 on: December 09, 2022, 05:51:21 AM »
Full list below. Sorry, they are not numbered, there were too many to take the time to number them all :lol, but the point totals tell the tale.

Freddie Mercury   439
James LaBrie   419
Bruce Dickinson   359
Geoff Tate   328
Steve Perry   241
Ronnie James Dio   234
Russell Allen   200
Devin Townsend   171
Ray Alder   169
Geddy Lee   168
Rob Halford   165
Floor Jansen   159
Ann Wilson   148
Daniel Gildenlow   146
Robert Plant   145
Chris Cornell   137
Michael Kiske   133
Anneke van Giersbergen   131
Jon Anderson   125
Einar Solberg   120
Layne Staley   108
Paul McCartney   107
Brad Delp   106
Peter Gabriel   105
Mikael Akerfeldt   103
Tommy Karevik   101
Mike Patton   99
David Coverdale   98
Neal Morse   96
Phil Collins   94
Roy Khan   89
Damien Wilson   88
David Gilmour   85
Roger Daltrey   84
James Hetfield   82
Klaue Meine   79
Dennis DeYoung   74
Myles Kennedy   74
Sebastian Bach   74
Maynard James Keenan   71
Corey Glover   68
Steve Walsh   68
Sammy Hagar   67
Tom Englund   67
Elvis Presley   64
John Lennon   63
Simone Simons   63
Claudio Sanchez   62
Jeff Buckley   62
Sharon den Adel   62
Steve Hogarth   59
Bono   58
Fish   58
Paul Stanley   58
Phil Mogg   54
Casey Crescenzo   52
Corey Taylor   52
Michael Stipe   52
Hansi Kursch   51
Matt Barlow   50
Ian Gillan   49
Phil Lynott   49
Billy Joel   48
Michael Jackson   48
Nick D'Virgilio   48
Ted Leonard   48
Stevie Nicks   45
Alice Cooper   44
Rik Emmett   44
David Bowie   43
Greg Lake   43
Lou Gramm   43
Kate Bush   41
Pat Benatar   41
Elton John   40
Peter Steele   39
Barbara Streisand   37
Glenn Hughes   37
Matt Heafy   36
Ozzy Osbourne   36
Tarja Turunen   36
David Longdon   35
Eric Martin   34
Jon Bon Jovi   34
Ray Gillen   33
Whitney Houston   33
Kip Winger   32
Matt Bellamy   32
Michael Eriksen   32
Art Garfunkel   31
Deborah Harry   31
Gary Moore   31
Arno Menses   30
Bjorn Strid   30
Christian Alvestam   30
Peter Nichols   30
Stevie Wonder   30
Roger Hodgson   29
Daniel Tompkins   27
Tomi Joutsen   27
King Diamond   26
Amy Lee   25
Eddie Vedder   25
Marjan Welman   25
Mark Knopfler   25
Andrea Bocelli   24
Elliot Smith   24
Ian Anderson   24
Jon Stevens   24
Lajon Witherspoon   24
Paul Buchanan   24
Andrew McDermoot   23
Blackie Lawless   23
Judith Rijnveld   23
Lingua Ignota   23
Sean Harris   23
Simen Hestnaes   23
Aleksandra Rijnveld   22
Dave Meniketti   22
David Pirner   22
Dolores O'Riordan   22
Gary Cherone   22
Joe Elliot   22
Roy Orbison   22
Tom Waits   22
Brittney Slayes   21
Dan Swano   21
Davey Havok   21
Huey Lewis   21
John Bush   21
Jorn Lande   21
Marvin Gaye   21
Robin Zander   21
Susanne Sundfor   21
Tommy Shaw   21
Andi Deris   20
Aretha Franklin   20
Cedric Bixler-Zavala   20
Storm Large   20
Tatiana Shmailyuk   20
Tony Martin   20
Gerard Way   19
Lizzy Hale   19
Loreena McKennit   19
Marcela Bovio   19
Michael McDonald   19
Tinna Karlsdotter   19
Chelsea Wolfe   18
David Pack   18
George Michael   18
Hank Williams Jr   18
John Hiatt   18
Johnny Gioelli   18
Krister Linder   18
Mayu   18
Michael Sweet   18
Morrissey   18
Patrick Stump   18
Paul Shortino   18
Steven Tyler   18
The Tallest Man On Earth   18
Tom Araya   18
Ashe O'Hara   17
Fat Mike   17
Glynn Morgan   17
Jon Oliva   17
Sam Brown   17
Sara Gazarek   17
Sting   17
Troy Sanders   17
Waylon Jennings   17
Yannis Papdopoulos   17
Chino Moreno   16
Daryl Hall   16
Eric Adams   16
Frank Sinatra   16
Julianne Regan   16
Justin Vernon   16
Mariusz Duda   16
Paul Rodgers   16
Steve Broughton   16
Zachary Stevens   16
Andy Kuntz   15
Don Henley   15
JP Leppaluoto   15
Rick Davies   15
Simon Akesson   15
Thom Yorke   15
Tobias Forge   15
Weird Al Yankovic   15
Bruce Springsteen   14
Cat Stevens   14
Dalbello   14
David Lee Roth   14
Edu Falaschi   14
Fiora   14
Jennifer Holiday   14
Johnette Napolitano   14
Jonas Renkse   14
Les Claypool   14
M. Shadows   14
Matt Smith   14
Neil Finn   14
Riley McShane   14
Till Lindemann   14
Annie Haslem   13
Ben Gibbard   13
Billie Eilish   13
Bing Crosby   13
Brandon Boyd   13
Celine Dion   13
Chris Creswell   13
Dave Davies   13
Kevin Martin   13
Kobi Farhi   13
Nienke de Jong   13
Phil Anselmo   13
Roland Orzabal   13
Alanis Morissette   12
Andre Matos   12
Brian Johnson   12
Frank Turner   12
Gerry Rafferty   12
Grace Cummings   12
Heike Langhans   12
Jimmy Barnes   12
Kari Rueslatten   12
Mark Hollis   12
Meat Loaf   12
Midge Ure   12
Prince   12
Alison Krauss   11
Amy Winehouse   11
Bob Catley   11
Dustin Kensrue   11
John Wetton   11
Lady Gaga   11
Lara Fabian   11
Randy Blythe   11
Sufjan Stevens   11
Eric Gillette   10
Hubi Meisel   10
John Baizley   10
Josh Kiszka   10
Kala Rose   10
KD Lang   10
Lauren Hart   10
Lindsey Buckingham   10
Morgan James   10
Nick Cave   10
Nick Holmes   10
David Benoit   9
Eric Knutson   9
James Michael   9
Jeff Martin   9
Jim Grey   9
Joey Belladonna   9
John Farnham   9
Jonas Bjerre   9
Madonna   9
Mark Lanegan   9
Shelia Chandra   9
Taylor Hawkins   9
Ted Neeley   9
Todd Rungren   9
Donna Summer   8
Jon V.   8
Neil Fallon   8
Nils K. Rue   8
Paddy McAloon   8
Saiki   8
Steve Shannon   8
Biff Byford   7
Brian May   7
Jesse Lacey   7
John Corabo   7
Kerry Livgren   7
Lord Tim   7
Marko Hietala   7
Noel Gallager   7
Spencer Sotelo   7
Taylor Swift   7
Tim Eisenberg   7
Tommy Giles Rodgers   7
Adam Duritz   6
Adrian Belew   6
Angela Gossow   6
Barry Manilow   6
Beth Hart   6
Dave Gahan   6
Dean Martin   6
Dusty Springfield   6
Jackson Browne   6
Noah Sebastion   6
Pelle Almqvist   6
Ross Jennings   6
Ruth Moody   6
Steve Lukather   6
Vincent Cavanagh   6
Warrel Dane   6
Billie Joe Armstrong   5
Billy Corgan   5
Bjork   5
Dave Matthews   5
Doug Pinnick   5
Eric Woolfson   5
Erik Rosvold   5
James Murphy   5
Leonard Cohen   5
Michael Hutchence   5
Patsy Cline   5
Rhett Forrester   5
Timothy Schmidt   5
Alexi Laiho   4
Amanda Somerville   4
Chester Bennington   4
Courtney LaPlante   4
Frank Dimino   4
Glen Phillips   4
Grace Slick   4
Joacim Cans   4
Johnny Cash   4
Maggy Lutyen   4
Mariah Carey   4
Matthew Good   4
Ray West   4
Roger Taylor   4
Roine Stolt   4
Shirley Manson   4
Timo Kotipelto   4
Benji Webbe   3
Colm Wilkinson   3
Daniel Heiman   3
David Reece   3
Doris Brendel   3
Glenn Danzig   3
Gregg Allman   3
Jack Russell   3
Jim Morrison   3
Kevin Cronin   3
Robert Tiranti   3
Tim "Ripper" Owens   3
Tobias Sammet   3
Bon Scott   2
Chuck Schuldiner   2
Conor Oberst   2
Gwen Stefani   2
Jesse Hasek   2
John Lodge   2
Justin Hawkins   2
Peter Hammil   2
Richie Kotzen   2
Susan Tedeschi   2
Tony Kakko   2
Ty Tabor   2
Vicky Psarkis   2
Angelina 1/3   1
Belinda Carlisle   1
Ben Orr   1
Brian Dailor   1
Cammie Gilbert   1
Darius Rucker   1
Diana Ross   1
Eric Johnson   1
George Harrison   1
Herman Saming   1
John Arch   1
Jonsi   1
Linda Ronstadt   1
Michelle Luppi   1
Mike Howe   1
Sue Hutton   1
Tori Amos   1
Warren Haynes   1

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: December 09, 2022, 05:52:02 AM »
My top 25. I guess there are a few who are only on my list.

25. Herman Saming   
24. Peter Hammil   
23. Doris Brendel   
22. Sting     
21. David Coverdale   
20. Sebastian Bach   
19. Steve Perry   
18. Peter Nicholls     
17. Michael Åkerfeldt   
16. Peter Gabriel     
15. James LaBrie     
14. Kari Rueslåtten 
13. Jon Anderson   
12. Dalbello   
11. Simon Åkesson 
10. Steve Broughton 
9. Sam Brown   
8. Krister Linder   
7. Marcela Bovio   
6. Greg Lake
5. Daniel Gildenlöw
4. Damian Wilson   
3. Anneke van Giersbergen 
2. Kate Bush 
1. Freddie Mercury

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1497 on: December 09, 2022, 06:06:49 AM »
It was inevitable I guess. Neither made my list but I can appreciate why they are both were they are (moreso Freddie though).

Now for the flood of everyone else's lists! Bring it on.

Here's mine...

25 George Harrison
24 Glenn Danzig
23 Benji Webbe
22 Alexi Laiho
21 Billie Joe Armstrong
20 Pelle Almqvist
19 Paul McCartney
18 Phil Anselmo
17 Robert Plant
16 Stevie Wonder
15 Matt Heafy
14 Frank Turner
13 Chris Creswell
12 Till Lindemann
11 Tobias Forge
10 Chino Moreno
9 Fat Mike
8 Tom Araya
7 Gerard Way
6 Einar Solberg
5 Mikael Åkerfeldt
4 James Hetfield
3 Devin Townsend
2 Claudio Sanchez
1 Casey Crescenzo

I only ended up with 5 making the list but I'm not surprised by that, and I'm pretty sure that's the number I predicted!

As for my thoughts on who I thought would've made the list..

Well I thought James Hetfield would to be honest. Maybe he doesn't have the best voice but at his peak, at was pretty fucking good, and he is the ultimate frontman as far as I'm concerned. Expected him to creep in.

Elvis got more than Casey Crescenzo and Claudio Sanchez! Blasphemy!

Talking of Casey, I'm surprised he only got 52! I had himat number 1 so half those votes are mine alone  :lol  I think his voice is just incredible!

Hands up, who voted King Diamond? Respect!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:14:13 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1498 on: December 09, 2022, 06:10:28 AM »
What I've noticed reading through this thread is that some of us approached this as 'my favorite' and others went the route of 'greatest,' which has led to some interesting results.

Me? I would've had James at number 1. After all, he's my 'favorite' singer.

That said, if the thread were titled the "25 Greatest Rock Singers of All Time," Freddie would've topped my list without hesitation.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1499 on: December 09, 2022, 06:15:01 AM »
Cool
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: December 09, 2022, 06:16:07 AM »
Well, as I told a few in PM, I made bank.  Precisely how I figured the top 2 would land.  I had JLB at #4, and Freddie at #11.  No denying he's one of the (if not the) greatest rock vocalists in the history of ever, but this is a *favorite* list, and I've got more that I favour.  That makes 8 of mine making the list, just as I predicted (and pretty much the 8 I figured would be there.)

I've got 4 that I can make bank on.  I think I've got 9-10 that *should* make it, so I'll say 8.

The other 2 I figured *should* be there were Morse and Gilmour.  I can honestly say I'm surprised that Neal Morse was rated so low.  Just with the breadth of contributions of so many beloved acts (SB, TA, solo, NMB, FC), I figured shear quantity of votes would get him on this list.

What would be interesting to see is the *count* of lists (mainly to see which ones appeared on only 1 list).  I'm honestly shocked to see no votes for Adele.  I was honestly trying to find a way to get her on my list - not that I'm much a fan of her music, but boy... she can make anything enjoyable afaic.  Same with Carrie Underwood.

I'm gonna slow roll my list, trying to favour some discussion about others' choices.

Kev... I'm legitimately surprised how low you have Swift.  I figure she'd be top 10 for you.  And you're only one that voted for her?!?!?

Goose... Kate Bush?  Do tell.

Also, :hifive: for Damian Wilson.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1501 on: December 09, 2022, 06:18:37 AM »
Awesome countdown and thread, Kev! This was a ton of fun.

I had James at 16, right in between Geddy Lee and Geoff Tate all for similar reasons. It’s been some time since James’s voice was a draw for me, but back when I first heard DT it absolutely was. Up until that point I thought Tate was the most amazing singer ever. Then I heard I&W and was sure it was James. What amazing range, but it also just sounded so effortless. I was obsessed with his voice back then. For me, Awake is his peak. Pull up the Youtube video with his isolated vocals from that one. Just astounding. We know what happened after Awake, but I think he still sounded strong even after that for a good while. And while some of the performances after about FII were less memorable for me, he put out at least 3 non-DT albums that I thought were strong (the first two Mullmuzzler albums and Frameshift). I’m glad people weren’t afraid to rank him, because he absolutely deserves to be here even if we’re all biased. 

Freddie was also who I expected to win this thing, and if it were “25 greatest singers” rather than “25 favorite singers” I would have included him in my list. While I agree he had an amazing voice, I just don’t like Queen and really don’t listen to him much at all. So he just didn’t really fit the criteria for being on my list. Didn’t make a difference ultimately!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 06:29:26 AM by HOF »

Online T-ski

« Reply #1502 on: December 09, 2022, 06:21:19 AM »
Considering this is the Dream Theater Forum it’s not surprising to see LaBrie finish this high, though personally I wouldn’t have put him in my top 10.

I expected Freddie to be top three for sure. Very few can match his talent.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1503 on: December 09, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
Ok, my list. Keep in mind, I threw this together fairly quickly...

25- Angelina 1/3
24- Ric Emmit
23- Peter Gabriel
22- Maggy Lutyen
21- Ross Jennings
20- Kobi Farhi
19- Spencer Sotelo
18- Saiki
17- Ted Leonard
16- Kala Rose
15- Simone Simons
14- Dennis De Young
13- Dave Davies
12- Riley McShane
11- Steve Hogarth
10- Brad Delp
9- Ashe O'hara
8- Mayu
7- Damien Wilson
6- Roger Daultry
5- Floor Jansen
4- Peter Nichols
3- Fish
2- Freddie Mercury
1- Jon Anderson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1504 on: December 09, 2022, 06:37:48 AM »
James didn’t make my list but obviously on this forum he’s going to be that high.

Freddie is hard to argue with. Not my number 1 but I think my 3rd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com