Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 44180 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 12 and 11 featured!!)
« Reply #945 on: December 04, 2022, 06:42:21 AM »
Had Floor in my 30 somethings although I had Tarja higher albeit unlikely she will get a look-in now LOL...

Great to see Floor up there so high too \m/

ETA had check my original list but yes had Rob at #19 \m/

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:19:16 PM by WardySI »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #946 on: December 04, 2022, 06:51:29 AM »
Floor was in my top 5. Rob wasn’t on my list but I expected him on the big list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #947 on: December 04, 2022, 06:54:24 AM »
The only thing I’ve ever heard from Floor is her guest appearance on Pandemic by the DTP, which is great, but Symphonic metal has never never been my thing.

Rob is a legend. #9 for me.

25. Layne Staley
11. Jon Anderson
9. Rob Halford
5. Chris Cornell
2. Peter Gabriel

Offline Lethean

« Reply #948 on: December 04, 2022, 06:57:11 AM »
Neither on my list but cool with both.  I've seen both live and Floor was great.  Halford was good.  I hope Simone Simmons is not on the list, because Floor and Anneke both are way way better.  So is Amanda Somerville for that matter, who subbed for her on an Epica tour.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: December 04, 2022, 07:10:37 AM »
Floor..... yeah I love her contribuions to Ayreon but outside of that Idon't listen to her output.

Rob.... not a Priest fan and have not thought much about his vocls.

Neither of them ranked in my list.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #950 on: December 04, 2022, 07:23:14 AM »
Neither on my list but cool with both.  I've seen both live and Floor was great.  Halford was good.  I hope Simone Simmons is not on the list, because Floor and Anneke both are way way better.  So is Amanda Somerville for that matter, who subbed for her on an Epica tour.

Floor will surely be the highest rated current female/metal vocalist.  I can't see Simone coming in higher; definitely not Amanda... she doesn't carry the exposure/gravtias that Floor does - around here, or in general.  Plus, she's been largely gone since having her 2nd/3rd children a few years back.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #951 on: December 04, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
Heard of but never heard Floor, have heard but never liked anything by Halford/Priest.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #952 on: December 04, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »
 :angry:

Rob #5 for me. His high register in the 70s is unmatched, but he could sing like that into the early 2000s. Live Insurrection for example.

22 Plant
  7 McCartney
  5 Halford
  1 Wilson

4 so far out of the 7 I guessed would make it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: December 04, 2022, 09:23:10 AM »
Had Floor at 4, Seeing her live twice gave her a boost. She is right behind my top female rock/metal singer, who I had hoped had an outside shot at making the list as I thought her band would be popular with participants.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #954 on: December 04, 2022, 10:40:09 AM »
I didn’t rank Floor, but she was close to making my list. I had Halford at #21. I actually thought I had ranked him much higher than that.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #955 on: December 04, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »
This is getting ridiculous, who is Floor?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: December 04, 2022, 11:35:54 AM »

Most well known for:

4th member of the original Star One lineup
Lead singer for now disbanded ReVamp and After Forever
Regular vocalist on Ayreon albums
Lead singer for Nightwish

Just YT search Ghost Love Floor.  Buenes Aries or Wacken.  Take your pick.

Shit, now I wish I was in your Roulette.  You're giving people lots of hints!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #957 on: December 04, 2022, 11:43:20 AM »
Yeah, her Ghost Love Score performance is fucking legend.... That along with Pisces by Jinjer are easily my two favorite reaction vids to watch.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: December 04, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
Nightwish headlining Wacken to close the Imaginaerum tour is probably a Top 3 concert DVD for my liking.  Flawless.  Simply flawless.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #959 on: December 04, 2022, 11:49:50 AM »

Most well known for:

4th member of the original Star One lineup
Lead singer for now disbanded ReVamp and After Forever
Regular vocalist on Ayreon albums
Lead singer for Nightwish

Just YT search Ghost Love Floor.  Buenes Aries or Wacken.  Take your pick.

Shit, now I wish I was in your Roulette.  You're giving people lots of hints!

Nah, I know Floor, I'm just fucking with you. I had a few Nightwish songs on mp3 back in the day (Dark Chest of Wonders  :metal ), but I think that was before Floor joined the band right?

I don't listen to a great deal of female fronted metal, and haven't checked out any new female fronted symphonic metal in probably 15 years! I'm not totally against it though, so yea you should've joined my roulette. My next one is going to be an album roulette  :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #960 on: December 04, 2022, 11:51:28 AM »
Nightwish headlining Wacken to close the Imaginaerum tour is probably a Top 3 concert DVD for my liking.  Flawless.  Simply flawless.

Totally agree. 99% of my Nightwish listening is actually to that live album

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #961 on: December 04, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »
Floor Jansen - She fell just outside of my top 25 at #32. Amazing vocalist! She has the power, the range, and the ability to sing in numerous styles. Love her on the older Nightwish stuff live and in After Forever, but I think her limited output of what I actually enjoy hurt her chances of making it into my top 25.

Rob Halford - No question he would make my list. He was at #12. Just a monster of a vocalist. Impressive range from low register all the way of to the highest of the high and with an impressive output of quality music, it's a no brainer to end up on this list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline coz

« Reply #962 on: December 04, 2022, 12:54:37 PM »
My results remain the same.  Not familiar with Floor and Rob I barely considered.

6. Robert Plant
5. Chris Cornell
2. Layne Staley

And selections from my long list: Ann Wilson, Jon Anderson, Åkerfeldt, McCartney, Gabriel, Delp
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #963 on: December 04, 2022, 01:19:57 PM »
Floor just barely missed the cut on mine.  Probably top 30.  For a long time she was in my top 10, but Nightwish's lackluster last few albums haven't helped, and other vocalists have grown on me or I've found other ones since then.  Floor has probably close to the most raw talent though. 

Halford is maybe in my top 75, just an incredible singer. 

If Floor is already in, I'm guessing Simone probably didn't quite make the cut, and I can't see anyone similar being higher, though I'd love to be wrong. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #964 on: December 04, 2022, 01:36:56 PM »
Floor just barely missed the cut on mine.  Probably top 30.  For a long time she was in my top 10, but Nightwish's lackluster last few albums haven't helped, and other vocalists have grown on me or I've found other ones since then.  Floor has probably close to the most raw talent though. 

Halford is maybe in my top 75, just an incredible singer. 

If Floor is already in, I'm guessing Simone probably didn't quite make the cut, and I can't see anyone similar being higher, though I'd love to be wrong.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Simone scoring higher than Floor in this group, I did have her in mine though if that's any consolation.

Online The Realm

« Reply #965 on: December 04, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »
Floor Jansen - not considered. I just don't listen to enough of her music for her to make my top 25 favourite vocalist list. I have watched her live performance of Ghost Love Score and it is amazing, no doubt of her talent.

Rob Halford - my number 13. Just awesome. Love Priest and love Rob. One of the greats.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: December 04, 2022, 02:28:25 PM »
Had Halford at number 5.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #967 on: December 04, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »
If for some reason anyone isn't familiar with Floor, this is an all-time metal performance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkYwOJZONU

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: December 04, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »
19 Jon Anderson #20  The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Going For The One, 90125.....all in my Top 75 albums. 

18 Anneke van Giersbergen NR *

17 Michael Kiske NR  Never heard a second of Helloween until this year, when Samsara and TAC provided a couple suggestions from Tim’s concert countdown.  The man has some pipes!

16 Chris Cornell  NR  only after hearing Brian May on ‘New Damage’ did I give Soundgarden a serious listen.  After, I enjoyed enough of their material (and related) for two ‘best ofs’.  Btw…my wife is a huge JC Superstar fan of the movie and the soundtrack. She’s met Ted Neeley numerous times.  Pardon the pun, but she follows him religiously ;)  It took her many years of our annual listens to enjoy Ian Gillan on the studio version.  In our opinions, Chris Cornell had the range to have delivered a great performance as lead on it had the opportunity existed. 

He was one of my top thirty.

15 Robert Plant #5 I, II, IV, Houses of the Holy...all in my Top 75 albums as well.

14 Daniel Gildenlow NR

13 Ann Wilson #21  first, thanks for posting the link for the Kennedy Center LZ tribute (to think that CBS originally aired an edited version.  :huh: >:( )  I only own their ‘Greatest Hits’ and ‘Bebe LeStrange’ for ‘Rockin’ Heaven Down’….A hidden gem that ends Side One, and always closes my best of.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHvKmt6lBk   Wish the fade out had gone on another thirty seconds......

(FYI... Heart was the opening act for many of Queen’s European ‘Hot Space’ '82 outdoor shows, including Milton Keynes)

12 Floor Jansen NR  *

11 Rob Halford NR  I respect Priest, not a fan, but thought he’d end up in the Top Ten here.

* not familiar with any of their material.  I plan on checking out the recommendations when time permits.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:30:51 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #969 on: December 04, 2022, 04:25:18 PM »
Since I was listed as having Floor the highest as my #2, it's no surprise what I think of her.  What may be surprising is that I don't actively listen to any band she is in anymore.  But that doesn't have anything to do with her.  I think anyone that listens to her can tell she is a really good singer.  But over the last few years, I've seen a TON of videos of singers and vocal coaches reacting to her performances and dissecting what she does, how she does it, and why she does it, and I've been convinced that she is one of the most talented, highly trained, technical, and intentional singers in pop/rock/metal.  (it would be awesome if just a fraction of these people in videos would pronounce her name correctly, but whatever)  Just about every note, every phrasing, every stylistic choice is meticulously chosen.  And that says nothing of her uncanny ability to do things that a lot of other singers in any genre just can't do.  She obviously isn't my #1 favorite.  But she's easily the most talented of any I can see making any list.  Nothing but huge respect for her as a singer. 

Halford did not make my list, but I fully expected him to show up and be ranked highly. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: December 04, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
Since I was listed as having Floor the highest as my #2, it's no surprise what I think of her.  What may be surprising is that I don't actively listen to any band she is in anymore.  But that doesn't have anything to do with her.  I think anyone that listens to her can tell she is a really good singer.  But over the last few years, I've seen a TON of videos of singers and vocal coaches reacting to her performances and dissecting what she does, how she does it, and why she does it, and I've been convinced that she is one of the most talented, highly trained, technical, and intentional singers in pop/rock/metal.  (it would be awesome if just a fraction of these people in videos would pronounce her name correctly, but whatever)  Just about every note, every phrasing, every stylistic choice is meticulously chosen.  And that says nothing of her uncanny ability to do things that a lot of other singers in any genre just can't do.  She obviously isn't my #1 favorite.  But she's easily the most talented of any I can see making any list.  Nothing but huge respect for her as a singer. 

Halford did not make my list, but I fully expected him to show up and be ranked highly.

Did you create your list based on singers you thought were the best over your personal favs?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #971 on: December 04, 2022, 04:35:57 PM »
No.  But one factor in why some are faves is how good they actually are.  And I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: December 04, 2022, 04:40:34 PM »
No.  But one factor in why some are faves is how good they actually are.  And I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Oh yeah, was a serious question, but I relate to this too of course.  The ability of the singer and how much you like them go hand in hand.  I guess it's those odd choices here and there where a singer may not be that great technically, yet they just scratch your specific itch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #973 on: December 04, 2022, 04:46:15 PM »

Oh yeah, was a serious question, but I relate to this too of course.  The ability of the singer and how much you like them go hand in hand.  I guess it's those odd choices here and there where a singer may not be that great technically, yet they just scratch your specific itch.

That's like most of my list!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #974 on: December 04, 2022, 05:00:41 PM »

Oh, totally.  I have several that fit that category.  Singers, guitarists...heck, even entire bands.  I definitely have some where I'm like, "Yeah, these guys may not be great.  But I just like what they do."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: December 04, 2022, 05:42:06 PM »

That's like most of my list!  :lol

I guess there's always a few more when you look a bit deeper but looking at yours, besides a few, most are 'very good singers', at least.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: December 04, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »
Before we enter the top 10, here is a question for all submitters:

Who is the one singer you put in your top 25 that you were pretty confident wouldn't end up on anyone else's list?

Mine was John Lodge, whom I had at 24.  The Moody Blues are a longtime favorite of mine, and even though Justin Hayward and Ray Thomas were probably the best singers in the band, there was something about Lodge's voice that I always liked a lot.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #977 on: December 04, 2022, 05:46:09 PM »
(it would be awesome if just a fraction of these people in videos would pronounce her name correctly, but whatever) 

European names can be really tricky.  For example, the way Simone Simons, Bjork, and Dan Swano are pronounced isn't at all intuitive.  But unless I was talking to them or to a superfan in person, I'd probably just use the Americanized pronunciations, because even a lot of fans might be confused who I was even talking about. 

The ability of the singer and how much you like them go hand in hand.  I guess it's those odd choices here and there where a singer may not be that great technically, yet they just scratch your specific itch.

For me there's somewhat of a correlation, but tons of great technical singers that are nowhere near my list, and a few on it that are more iffy in terms of technique and ability. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #978 on: December 04, 2022, 05:47:30 PM »
Before we enter the top 10, here is a question for all submitters:

Who is the one singer you put in your top 25 that you were pretty confident wouldn't end up on anyone else's list?

Mine was John Lodge, whom I had at 24.  The Moody Blues are a longtime favorite of mine, and even though Justin Hayward and Ray Thomas were probably the best singers in the band, there was something about Lodge's voice that I always liked a lot.
Mine would probably be Matthew Good. I had him at #22.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: December 04, 2022, 05:47:48 PM »

Oh, totally.  I have several that fit that category.  Singers, guitarists...heck, even entire bands.  I definitely have some where I'm like, "Yeah, these guys may not be great.  But I just like what they do."

Yeah true.  Sometimes even some artists being technically bad or not very good are the reason why you dig them, if that makes sense.  :lol