Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 44951 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 14 and 13 featured!!)
« Reply #910 on: December 03, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »
I have no clue who Ann Wilson is. Is she some country singer who is only big in the US?  :lol

Oh dear fucking lord.

You're saying that but that's literally how it is, at least here for me. Heart is basically an unknown band here. Deep Purple, sure, Queen, yeah, Iron Maiden, yes for sure, Heart? Probably 99% of people never heard of them.

I only know who Ann Wilson is because of DTF. I'm with Luke on this. :)

I know Heart but I don't think I frequent any of the threads where she may ever get talked about on DTF (if she even does get talked about much). I've certainly never heard her name, and the only Heart song I think I know is Barracuda  :lol

I think it's way more shocking to think people on DTF don't know Einar, but that's just me probably.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #911 on: December 03, 2022, 09:47:14 AM »
Daniel Gildenlow - Great to see him included here. I had him at #15. Massive range and has the ability to inject a ton of emotion into the lyrics. Some may call that being overly dramatic, those people don't know what they are talking about. :P

Ann Wilson - Made my shortlist at #67. Definitely deserving of being on the cumulative list though. Such a powerful voice!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #912 on: December 03, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »
For my money Ann Wilson is the best female hard rock singer of all time, glad she made the list.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #913 on: December 03, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
Daniel is my #4. Remedy Lane and TPE are among my favorite albums ever and Daniel  was imo always good at writing melodies that fit him well (and vocal melodies in general). Power, range, versatility, it's all there.

Ann is definitely generational singer. I know of her, I know of Heart, but other than Alone I don't hear it anywhere ever. Not surprised some don't know her.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #914 on: December 03, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
I really got into POS, back when In the Passing Light of Day came out, but no other album of theirs ever really struck a chord.

I like his voice, and understand why he made the list, but he seems a bit too full of himself for me to ever really love him.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #915 on: December 03, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »
For my money Ann Wilson is the best female hard rock singer of all time, glad she made the list.

Yeah, she definitely needs to be in the discussion for sure. And her voice has aged so well, I was just watching video from Wacken last year, and she still fucking kills it at 72.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: December 03, 2022, 10:14:10 AM »
Not a fan of PoS so Gildenlow never came to mind.  I did think he was pretty good as a vocalist and frontman when I did see PoS though.  I can understand his inclusion on this forum, but I'm not really much of a fan.

I'm a bit surprised about Ann Wilson.  I didn't know this forum really was into Heart, I really am not familiar with them much at all and the songs I know have never made me think "oh she's fantastic". I most likely just never gave her attention to really be familiar in the end. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #917 on: December 03, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
Once I submitted my list, the one name I realized should have made my list but didn't was Ann.

Jesus!  How the hell did *you* forget her!?!?!   :lolpalm:

Yeah, she definitely needs to be in the discussion for sure. And her voice has aged so well, I was just watching video from Wacken last year, and she still fucking kills it at 72.

Hell fucking yeah!

I'm a bit surprised about Ann Wilson.  I didn't know this forum really was into Heart, I really am not familiar with them much at all and the songs I know have never made me think "oh she's fantastic". I most likely just never gave her attention to really be familiar in the end. 

But this forum has a shit-ton of fogeys.  You don't have to be a massive heart fan (I'm not terribly deep on their discography myself) to get goosebumps virtually every time you hear her voice.  There's at least a dozen or so songs that are still on regular rotation on rock radio stations.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #918 on: December 03, 2022, 10:27:34 AM »
Ikm a Apin of Salvation fan, but I didn’t rank Daniel. He has a decent enough voice.

I had Ann Wilson at #23. Incredible voice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:11 AM »
Once I submitted my list, the one name I realized should have made my list but didn't was Ann.

Jesus!  How the hell did *you* forget her!?!?!   :lolpalm:

I know! When I was first noodling on this I thought about her as an obvious inclusion. Then when I sent my list I thought "Wait, I didn't see Ann's name on my spreadsheet..."

There was an urban legend at my high school that the band teacher played with the Wilsons early in their career but I couldn't substantiate it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Animal

« Reply #920 on: December 03, 2022, 11:10:51 AM »
Never heard of Heart. Where I am from, this is not a well-known band. I have seen Ann's Wilson name quite a few times in vocalist discussions though so I am sure she must be a remarkable singer. I just don't know her stuff. But I'll definitely check her rendition if Stairway to Heaven.

Great to see I am not the only one to think so highly of Daniel to rank him number 1. Seems to be a similar case to Einar . relatively few people rank him, but those who do rank him very high. I understand that many can find him too dramatic - what I have a very hard time getting is the fact that he can be too dramatic for someone who likes DT and James Labrie. Really? Has there ever been a more dramatic singer than James? (To be clear, I love James almost as much as Daniel).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #921 on: December 03, 2022, 12:36:28 PM »
Didn't pick either of these, but neither choice surprises me.  I remember checking out a lot of Gildenlow's stuff back during Transatlantic's Whirlwind album cycle, and was really impressed with his abilities.  Ultimately, he just isn't for me.  But I couldn't help but be impressed by his talent. 

Used to like Heart back in the early days, but lost my love and respect for them eventually.  I can understand why Ann is on a LOT of these kinds of lists, not only on DTF, but virtually every list of best rock singers out there.  That's why I think so many find it so surprising for some to say they never heard of her.  She is so ubiquitously heralded as a great rock singer everywhere, and has been for so many decades now.  Whatever country you are from, I can almost guarantee Heart charted VERY high there at some point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #922 on: December 03, 2022, 12:44:29 PM »
Both fantastic singers, easily top 100 candidates for me.  "Crazy On You" is one of those classic rock staples that doesn't get annoying even if it's overplayed.  They do Zeppelin and Zeppelin-esque better than Zeppelin.  And the marvelous acoustic intro is Ann's sister Nancy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuucouCVBk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: December 03, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
Both fantastic singers, easily top 100 candidates for me.  "Crazy On You" is one of those classic rock staples that doesn't get annoying even if it's overplayed.  They do Zeppelin better than Zeppelin.  And the marvelous acoustic intro is Ann's sister Nancy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuucouCVBk

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline coz

« Reply #924 on: December 03, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »
My running results:

6. Robert Plant
5. Chris Cornell
2. Layne Staley

And selections from my long list: Ann Wilson, Jon Anderson, Åkerfeldt, McCartney, Gabriel, Delp
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline WardySI

« Reply #925 on: December 03, 2022, 04:52:44 PM »
Been away a while and just catching up...

Finally have a run on the board had Cornell at #7.

Glad to see Ann make the list had her around my Top30 in retrospect maybe should've made my 25 sensational voice \m/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: December 03, 2022, 05:09:55 PM »
Gildenlow just missed out, wonderful singer. 

Wilson and Heart never been my thing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #927 on: December 03, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »
0 from 2 today for me.

Daniel Gildenlow - big fan of Pain of Salvation but didn't consider Daniel as one of my favourite singers.

Ann Wilson - also never considered when putting together my list but not surprised to see her in the top 25.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #928 on: December 03, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »
I chickened out at the end and didn't come up with a list. But I'm having fun following this.  :tup

Same here, kind of; I just couldn't think of enough singers to make a Top 25 list. I'm still enjoying watching how this is turning out!
There's a couple singers I'd love to see appear on this list, but I'm unsure if either of them will show up at this rate.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #929 on: December 03, 2022, 05:56:13 PM »
Ann Wilson is phenomenal...so powerful and over the top without, well, sounding over-the-top  :biggrin:

She's amazing on the early Heart's classics, but also on some of the more "polished", big 80s hits...like "Wait for an Answer", for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvb6-klI_k

Or something lesser known, from Desire Walks On, "Black on Black II":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CSb6lx4Ws

(I mean, the singing is almost "metal" here!)

Incidentally, both songs above were written by Lisa Dalbello, of Gonna Get Close to You fame...

I remember a few years ago randomly catching on cable a concert celebrating some Dreamboat Annie anniversary (It was a DVD, I think). I haven't watched it in a long time, but my memories are of a pretty stunning performance. Here seems to be the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItit4W7QRo&t=35s

The actual performance starts around 9:40 or so.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:01:13 PM by nick_z »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: December 03, 2022, 06:28:44 PM »
Or something lesser known, from Desire Walks On, "Black on Black II":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CSb6lx4Ws

Man I remember when that song came out, it was all over the radio here, and my brain couldn't wrap itself around the possibility this awesomeness was by the same band that released all those 80s pop songs, which is all I knew of them at the time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #931 on: December 03, 2022, 07:35:44 PM »
Daniel is my favorite. I can appreciate the reasons why some might not enjoy the style of his delivery or the way he writes his vocal melodies, but when it comes to the qualities that make a singer a singer—detached from style, to whatever extent that's possible—he's undeniable. His range, power, versatility are outstanding. I'm glad to see that he topped a few lists.

I don't know Heart well at all, but I do know the most famous of their songs. Hard to deny Ann Wilson's greatness.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #932 on: December 03, 2022, 08:41:24 PM »
Regarding tomorrow's featured singers, get ready for the metal...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #933 on: December 03, 2022, 08:42:32 PM »
 :metal :metal

Both made my list!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #934 on: December 03, 2022, 08:46:59 PM »
Wasn’t expecting more metal!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #935 on: December 03, 2022, 08:52:39 PM »

Oh...expect it!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

Offline Glasser

« Reply #937 on: December 03, 2022, 10:42:26 PM »
I'm starting to think only 2 more from my list will rank. I only have Plant and Delp so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: December 04, 2022, 03:24:17 AM »

Really?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 12 and 11 featured!!)
« Reply #939 on: December 04, 2022, 06:04:39 AM »
Metal it is!

12 Floor Jansen

Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (bosk1)
7 Top 10 Finishes

Great voice, great singer, but I couldn't rank her as I barely listen to anything she sings, just the Ayreon/Arjen albums in which she was one of many contributors.  I don't really like symphonic prog metal, so her normal bands do not interest me.  Again though, great singer for sure.

11 Rob Halford

Appeared on 13 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 4 (DTwwbwMP)
6 Top 10 Finishes

I was hoping he would finish top 10, but he just missed out.  I ranked him 9th; I likely would have had him higher years ago.  Not that I think any lesser of him, but Priest is more of a once in a while band for me now rather than one I listen to regularly.  For my money, when it comes to metal singers, he is in my holy trilogy along with Geoff Tate and Devin Townsend (I don't really think of James LaBrie as a metal singer per se).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #940 on: December 04, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »
Floor is amazing, had her ranked very high at #5.

While I love Halford and respect all he's done for metal, I just don't dig Preist that much.

23- Peter Gabriel
10- Brad Del
5- Floor Jansen
1- Jon Anderson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #941 on: December 04, 2022, 06:10:14 AM »
I'm not really familiar with Floor. I'm not into symphonic metal either. I'm sure she's an amazing singer though.

I had Rob Halford at #20.

I have a pic!

June 4, 1984
Providence Civic Center

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2022, 06:23:39 AM »
Two fantastic picks. Floor would've been probably in my Top 5, Rob I would've placed somewhere in the 20-25 range.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: December 04, 2022, 06:27:17 AM »
Floor is amazing, had her ranked very high at #5.

While I love Halford and respect all he's done for metal, I just don't dig Preist that much.

Ditto... including the Floor ranking.  I'm not 'in' to JP enough to consider Halford one of my faves, but I understand him being here.  Impressive stat - she made 8 lists, and was top 10 in 7.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #944 on: December 04, 2022, 06:30:41 AM »
I love both singers but not my fav 20 but probably in 30 or 40.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.