Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 44214 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 23 and 22 featured!!)
« Reply #630 on: November 29, 2022, 08:49:37 AM »
Very talented guys in very different ways, but not particular favorites of mine.  Kind of surprised to see several people who didn't even know who Delp was though.

I've heard of Boston. I know More than a Feeling, but that might be about it. Probably another few that I didn't know were Boston, but I couldn't name a single member.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #631 on: November 29, 2022, 08:51:41 AM »
Who voted Delp? No one seems to have heard of him  :lol

Someone mentioned Golden Slumbers early. Honestly that is my all time favourite Macca performance  :hefdaddy  it is just so good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #632 on: November 29, 2022, 08:59:51 AM »
I had Delp at # 7.  Phenomenal singer.

I'm surprised to see McCartney ranked at all.  He's not what I would consider to be a great singer.  I never even considered him for a spot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #633 on: November 29, 2022, 10:06:01 AM »
Brad Delp - definitely worthy of making the list. He was on my shortlist, but only make it to #58.

Paul McCartney - never even considered him. I like the Beatles and Wings, but McCartney wouldn't even make my top 100 vocalists.... Probably... :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #634 on: November 29, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »
True story.  I got to jam with Brad Delp when I was 15 in my friend's basement.  My brother, now lives in the town Brad lived in for so many years after Boston's popularity.  Atkinson, N.H.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #635 on: November 29, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
23 Brad Delp

22 Paul McCartney

Yay!!  One of my guys made it!

I had Brad Delp at #15.  As Kev noted, he's totally a quality over quantity guy.  Absolutely an amazing singer.

McCartney was a quandary for me.  I thought about including him (he's my favorite Beatles vocalist), but I ultimately didn't.  In retrospect, he MIGHT have made it at the bottom of the list, but I don't feel much heartburn about it (even though he's my namesake).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #636 on: November 29, 2022, 10:23:50 AM »
I'm honestly shocked so many people don't know Delp.  Maybe because he basically disappeared in the early 90s, but for those of us that listened to the 70s and 80s music (here in NA) as it happened, he was pretty much on par with Freddie as far as vocal pedigree goes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #637 on: November 29, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »
I'm honestly shocked so many people don't know Delp.  Maybe because he basically disappeared in the early 90s, but for those of us that listened to the 70s and 80s music (here in NA) as it happened, he was pretty much on par with Freddie as far as vocal pedigree goes.

I came in to express this exact sentiment, he's the only one I'd put in Freddie's class, along with Floor. Everyone else, talent wise, is playing for second.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #638 on: November 29, 2022, 10:53:54 AM »
Shouldn't Geoff Tate be on that list?  I didn't have him on mine but probably should have; the whole split with QR and the spitting and stuff is still too much in my mind I guess. 

But if I were to attempt objectivity, I would have had Tate at the top (of singers I actually listen to).

As for Brad Delp, I dunno.  If I've heard the name before I don't remember.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: November 29, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »
Classic rock is a thing of the past.  Kid's today control what they listen to.  Radio is a thing of the past.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #640 on: November 29, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
Shouldn't Geoff Tate be on that list?  I didn't have him on mine but probably should have; the whole split with QR and the spitting and stuff is still too much in my mind I guess. 

But if I were to attempt objectivity, I would have had Tate at the top (of singers I actually listen to).

Objectivity lists are pretty futile.  If anything you'd have to go by style, vocal technique is very different for rock vs. pop vs. opera vs. jazz vs. country vs. hip-hop, etc.  Most vocal coaches would have Tate up fairly high though, and I suspect watching reaction videos would bear that out. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #641 on: November 29, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »
Classic rock is a thing of the past.  Kid's today control what they listen to.  Radio is a thing of the past.

Funny thing though, 70-year-olds like Springsteen, Daltrey, Elton etc etc still tour and sell out and play 2+ hrs putting on a great show to an enthralled audience. Imagine someone like Justin Bieber touring at 75. What's the target audience for that , 65 year old women that haven't had a date in 30 years?  :lol Today's music is meant to spend 10 minutes on the chart and then be forgotten forever.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #642 on: November 29, 2022, 11:23:14 AM »
Well there’s two people I wouldn’t consider for a list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

« Reply #643 on: November 29, 2022, 11:27:37 AM »

Objectivity lists are pretty futile.  If anything you'd have to go by style, vocal technique is very different for rock vs. pop vs. opera vs. jazz vs. country vs. hip-hop, etc.  Most vocal coaches would have Tate up fairly high though, and I suspect watching reaction videos would bear that out.

Totally agree that it would be futile.  But that if someone were evaluating ability which is what I think was going on with Freddie and Brad Delp, Geoff Tate should be part of that conversation based on what vocal teacher types have told me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 29, 2022, 11:28:36 AM »

Funny thing though, 70-year-olds like Springsteen, Daltrey, Elton etc etc still tour and sell out and play 2+ hrs putting on a great show to an enthralled audience. Imagine someone like Justin Bieber touring at 75. What's the target audience for that , 65 year old women that haven't had a date in 30 years?  :lol Today's music is meant to spend 10 minutes on the chart and then be forgotten forever.

I've thought about that a million times but I remember my dad mocking me about Kiss and they are still playing.  I think the medium is affecting listening habits these days.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #645 on: November 29, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
I mean, Elvis was initially dismissed as a trendy fad for teenboppers that wouldn't last, and look how we've spent half the thread arguing about him.  :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #646 on: November 29, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »
True story.  I got to jam with Brad Delp when I was 15 in my friend's basement.  My brother, now lives in the town Brad lived in for so many years after Boston's popularity.  Atkinson, N.H.

Holy shit that's awesome. I'm not surprised some folks here haven't heard of him or don't know enough of what he sang on. Obviously the first three Boston albums.  Then there was RTZ. Folks should check it out. Brad was incredible. Gone way too soon. I'm actually ashamed of myself that he didn't make my final 25. But he just missed, as I said. probably 26 or 27.

re: Geoff Tate

I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the list. Obviously, he's extremely high on my list, considering his prime years (1983-1992). What a walking vocal masterclass for range and control.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #647 on: November 29, 2022, 12:34:58 PM »
I'm sure a lot more people know Boston's music than know Brad Delp by name. He's not somebody who was really notorious as a front man or celebrity. I'm guessing Tom Scholz would get a similar reaction if we were ranking guitarists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: November 29, 2022, 12:41:43 PM »
I'm not surprised some of our younger members don't know Brad Delp by name.

I thought long and hard about Delp, and while his lack of material does hurt him, I included another singer on my list with about the same, basically because of my listening ratio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: November 29, 2022, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm sure a lot more people know Boston's music than know Brad Delp by name. He's not somebody who was really notorious as a front man or celebrity. I'm guessing Tom Scholz would get a similar reaction if we were ranking guitarists.

This.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #650 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:38 PM »
Brad Delp - I never considered for my top 25 but I have heard of him. I just don't really listen to any of his music and he has no influence on me but I appreciate he is a great vocalist.

Paul McCartney - number 18 for me. Just really love his voice and of course his musical output.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #651 on: November 29, 2022, 01:29:24 PM »
Two more not on my list.  I've never heard of Brad Delp.  And Paul McCartney's voice is just ok.

You've got to fix that first one.  He was on four Boston albums (the fourth blows), and a LOT of work with Barry Goudreau, original Boston lead
guitarist (Goudreau's solo album, the album "Delp and Goudreau", the band Orion The Hunter, and RTZ). 

Both made my list; both are solid as a rock, IMO.

Best vocal performances: 
Brad Delp:
1. More Than A Feeling (that vocal part at the end of the third verse where he sings "I closed my eyes and she slipped away.... she slipped away" and he carries the note, modulates up, then at the very end modulates up AGAIN... gives me shivers every time).
2. Don't Look Back (the layers and layers of vocals add up to something amazing)
3. Long Time (the scatting after the guitar solo is excellent)
HM:  Hollyann

Paul McCartney:
1. Maybe I'm Amazed
2. Oh! Darling
3. My Love
HM:  Fool On The Hill

Each one is pretty interesting, but the fact that he did ALL of those - and recreated all of them live at various times in his career - is testament to his ability.   One of the great things about McCartney is, he's the bass player of vocalists, in that he knows EXACTLY how to support the people around him; some of his greatest work is doing backgrounds behind John (also a great singer, who didn't make my list for various reasons).

14   Brad Delp
7   Paul McCartney

Offline Lethean

« Reply #652 on: November 29, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
Two more not on my list.  I've never heard of Brad Delp.  And Paul McCartney's voice is just ok.

You've got to fix that first one.  He was on four Boston albums (the fourth blows), and a LOT of work with Barry Goudreau, original Boston lead
guitarist (Goudreau's solo album, the album "Delp and Goudreau", the band Orion The Hunter, and RTZ). 

Just to clarify - I have heard More Than a Feeling and like the vocals on it.  I just didn't know his name.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #653 on: November 29, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »
guitarist
(Goudreau's solo album, the album "Delp and Goudreau", the band Orion The Hunter, and RTZ). 

I think calling him the "original Boston lead guitarist" is an overstatement and a slight to Tom Scholz.  While Goudreau was credited for "lead & rhythm guitars" on the debut album, he didn't play on it, and I'm not sure how much, if at all, he played on Don't Look Back (he's credited for "lead and slide guitar and percussion).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!!)
« Reply #654 on: November 29, 2022, 03:26:37 PM »
You knew Ron Thal?  That's awesome. 

Another counting game, I think I have at least six vocalists who have mixing harsh and clean vocals as part of their signature style, some more than others. 

If you like the mix of harsh to clean vocals check out Darroh Sudderth from Fair to Midland:

https://youtu.be/KeafcZClGu0

Yeah, I love Fair To Midland.  I'm more into them instrumentally than vocally, but he's a cut above some of their peers.

We still keep in touch. Great dude!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #655 on: November 29, 2022, 04:05:25 PM »
Nobody from my list has turned up yet. I forgot about Brad Delp when making my list, but it's unlikely he would have made the cut, even though he has a stellar voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (submissions due 11/26)
« Reply #656 on: November 29, 2022, 05:26:12 PM »
I have 25 Metal singers! :lol

I think a top 25 singers countdown should really be done by genre.  That's why I didn't do this. :dunno:

You're not serious, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #657 on: November 29, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »
2 solid choices; neither one made my list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #658 on: November 29, 2022, 09:25:23 PM »
I had Brad Delp at 13.

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!!)
« Reply #659 on: November 29, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
I had Macca @ 7 & Delp @ 3

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #660 on: November 30, 2022, 04:44:32 AM »

Holy shit that's awesome. I'm not surprised some folks here haven't heard of him or don't know enough of what he sang on. Obviously the first three Boston albums.  Then there was RTZ. Folks should check it out. Brad was incredible. Gone way too soon. I'm actually ashamed of myself that he didn't make my final 25. But he just missed, as I said. probably 26 or 27.

I've got the RTZ debut, and it is great.  I was yesterday years old when I found out they had a 2nd one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #661 on: November 30, 2022, 05:01:49 AM »
In the interest of giving this Delp guy a shot, I'm currently listening to Boston's debut for the first time in my life.

I hope you're happy fogeys, this is all your doing!

Edit: WELP

Double edit: SEND HELP

Triple edit: BRAD FUCKIN' DELP!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:29:24 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 21 and 20 featured!!)
« Reply #662 on: November 30, 2022, 06:12:09 AM »
Next two!

21 Layne Staley

Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (coz)
4 Top 10 Finishes

Outside of a few songs, I am not really an Alice in Chains fan, but I can see and hear why many have great love for his voice.  He's just not a singer that comes to mind for me when thinking of great ones.

20 Einar Solberg

Appeared on 6 of 36 lists
Highest Finish:  2 (Animal)
6 Top 10 Finishes

This is one I had to look up who it was when I saw his name appear on a few lists.  He finished in the top 10 for all six people who put him on theirs, which is why he squeezed into the top 25.   I didn't really dig Leprous when I saw them open for Haken a few years ago.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #663 on: November 30, 2022, 06:16:59 AM »
Layne Staley? That's an interesting pick. Never really thought of him.

The dude from Leprous? Is that right? I've tried them and they did nothing for me, especially vocally. I'm kind of surprised to see this pick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #664 on: November 30, 2022, 06:21:26 AM »
Yeah, Solberg definitely benefited from 3,391 singers being listed across all the lists, as it all took was ending up in the top 10 of all six who listed him to get enough points to make the top 25.  No one else made the top 25 by appearing on such a small number of lists.