Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45083 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!!)
« Reply #595 on: November 28, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
I didn’t submit a list but I’m very curious to see how this turns out.

I would not have considered either Akerfeldt or Gabriel for my list.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: November 28, 2022, 02:08:52 PM »
Another counting game, I think I have at least six vocalists who have mixing harsh and clean vocals as part of their signature style, some more than others. 

If you like the mix of harsh to clean vocals check out Darroh Sudderth from Fair to Midland:

https://youtu.be/KeafcZClGu0

Offline HOF

« Reply #597 on: November 28, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
I have one singer on my list who can be “harsh” at times, but probably not the way people mean when they say harsh. I guess two if you count one particular scream as “harsh.”

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #598 on: November 28, 2022, 02:18:59 PM »
I got four who firmly rely on growls for half their output, and I highly doubt any will make the list. I'd be absolutely shocked actually.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #599 on: November 28, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »
Akerfeldt - number 15 on my list. I love both his clean vocals and growls. His clean voice has developed over the years and some of his singing on the later Opeth albums is fantastic. I think this really started with Damnation, where his clean voice went to another level. I appreciate that everyone here doesn't like him but if you haven't heard much of his clean voice I would give the Damnation album a go.

Peter Gabriel - was never in consideration for me.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #600 on: November 28, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »
Another counting game, I think I have at least six vocalists who have mixing harsh and clean vocals as part of their signature style, some more than others. 

If you like the mix of harsh to clean vocals check out Darroh Sudderth from Fair to Midland:

I wouldn't personally call.these harsh vocals, more vocals with a hell of a lot of grit! I love thos album though and Darroh has a hell of a voice, no doubt.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2022, 04:50:03 PM »

Kev... I'm not sure if you've normally done this since I didn't participate in your other countdowns, but when all is said and done, are you going to share the list of the 300+ that didn't make it, with any accompanying stats?

Yes.

Had Peter Gabriel at #7. Each time one of my picks appears I'll give my top 3 vocal performances by that singer (not necessarily the same as my favourite songs by them), so that maybe people who aren't familiar but want to explore can do so. Maybe other folk can do the same for their picks, since discovering new music is one of the things these threads are about and I'm sure there'll be singers on this list that I've never even heard of.

My top 3 Gabriel vocal performances:

1.Mercy Street
2.Here Comes The Flood (Robert Fripp version)
3.Secret World

Good idea for sure, but I will fully admit that there are a few singers that made the top 25 that I either do not like or have zero interest in checking out any further than I had prior, so there will be no top 3s from me on those.  In fact, I kinda feel bad because my write-ups on them will be very, very short. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!)
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2022, 05:28:34 PM »
25 Mikael Akerfeldt
Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Tomislav95, LithoJazzoSphere)
3 Top 10 Finishes

I'm a fan, but he went unranked for me.  He strikes me as being similar to his pal Steven Wilson in that his singing is nothing special, with it being perfect for the music he writes, but I suspect he got much more support due to his growling from the past.

24 Peter Gabriel
Appeared on 7 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Metropolaris)
4 Top 10 Finishes

Huge fan here. I ranked him 7th.  He was a little raw in the Genesis days, but there was still a charm to his singing, and it got even better once he went the solo route.  There is a roughness to his unique voice that is so darn appealing.
Off to a pretty good start!

Mikael Akerfeldt - I had him at #23. As others have said, he is pretty much the pinnacle of harsh vocals (at least the growling style), or at least he used to be, since he doesn't do that much these days. I also love the warmth and tone in his clean vocals.

Peter Gabriel - He was on my shortlist and was ranked at #60. Like a lot of you, I actually prefer his vocals in his solo stuff more than his Genesis stuff.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Animal

« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2022, 11:24:52 PM »
Good start. For now, my top 25 corresponds to the collective one. I ranked Gabriel at 14 and Akerfeldt at 19.

Regarding Wilson/Akerfeldt comapriosons: I ranked Akerfeldt not due to his growls (as impressive as they are, they donť count in my book) but because his voice has a very nice warm timbre - even though it is not particulary outstanding in terms of power and range. Wilson's voice, on the other hand, is a perfect definition of bland (which is not a criticism, this bland quality suits his music perfectly...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #604 on: November 29, 2022, 12:38:02 AM »
Interesting start as expected. I personally took an entirely different approach to my "25 Favorite Singers" as only a few of them represent my favorite bands or even bands I listen to regularly. My list of singers are influences to me as a vocalist myself even though I'm not a currently active singer. My vocal coach in the late 80's and early 90's was Ron Thal, aka, Bumblefoot, who has an incredible voice (as well as being a pretty amazing guitarist). So my list are mostly voices that had an early impact on me courtesy of my Mother and my Aunt who always had the best music playing at home and in the car constantly.  :heart

Offline WardySI

« Reply #605 on: November 29, 2022, 01:51:06 AM »
Interesting start as expected. I personally took an entirely different approach to my "25 Favorite Singers" as only a few of them represent my favorite bands or even bands I listen to regularly. My list of singers are influences to me as a vocalist myself even though I'm not a currently active singer. My vocal coach in the late 80's and early 90's was Ron Thal, aka, Bumblefoot, who has an incredible voice (as well as being a pretty amazing guitarist). So my list are mostly voices that had an early impact on me courtesy of my Mother and my Aunt who always had the best music playing at home and in the car constantly.  :heart

That's cool will be interesting to see how your list transpires...

Neither of these first two made my list ;)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #606 on: November 29, 2022, 03:42:55 AM »
You knew Ron Thal?  That's awesome. 

Yeah, I love Fair To Midland.  I'm more into them instrumentally than vocally, but he's a cut above some of their peers. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:53:13 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #607 on: November 29, 2022, 03:52:28 AM »
Double post. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 23 and 22 featured!!)
« Reply #608 on: November 29, 2022, 05:58:58 AM »
Next two!

23 Brad Delp

Highest Finish: 3 (DTwwbwMP)
3 Top 10 Finishes

What a voice!  He is probably the one singer who make my top 25 despite lack of quantity (I literally own three albums where he sings, the first three Boston albums), but his performances were so out of this world that he still finished 14th for me.  Boston was always one of those bands that I never heard performed at karaoke, likely because no one wanted to attempt to sing his vocal parts.  Good luck singing More Than a Feeling and it not becoming a train wreck.

22 Paul McCartney

Highest Finish: 2 (DragonAttack)
4 Top 10 Finishes

I love the Beatles, but McCartney did not make the cut for me.  I think I slightly prefer the voice of John Lennon, although I think McCartney was the more consistent songwriter, but he didn't make my top 25 either.  The greatness of the Beatles goes without saying, and it is nice to see they got representation in this top 25.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #609 on: November 29, 2022, 06:04:54 AM »
Delp would have definitely made my list, McCartney would not have.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #610 on: November 29, 2022, 06:11:32 AM »
I'm only really familiar with Boston's hits and had no clue what the singers name was. Now I know  :lol

McCartney made #19 on my list. I love The Beatles, they are one of my earliest musical memories, and my Dad's favourite band  :heart

19. Paul McCartney
5. Mikael Ĺkerfeldt

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #611 on: November 29, 2022, 06:22:27 AM »
Still no one on my list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #612 on: November 29, 2022, 06:23:42 AM »
Delp's lack of inventory is what relegated him to honorable mention for me.  I really struggled to *not* include him.  Sir Paul... good singer sure, but there's easily 50 more I'd put ahead of him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: November 29, 2022, 06:28:57 AM »
My appreciation for Brad really grew after watching Rick Beatos video on More Than A Feeling and he isolated the vocal tracks. I ended up going back and listened to some Boston focusing on the vocals and was really taken back.

The last thing I think about when it comes to Paul McCartney are his vocals. They aren't bad but he isn't really bringing anything great to the table IMO. Pretty forgettable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #614 on: November 29, 2022, 06:29:46 AM »
Had Delp fairly high, such a tremendous voice. Didn't have Sir Paul.

23- Peter Gabriel
10- Brad Delp

Offline Animal

« Reply #615 on: November 29, 2022, 06:42:04 AM »
Never heard od Delp - Boston is not that well know here in the Central Europe. I know More Than a Feeling but it was always in the category  "I-know-the-song-but-have-no-idea-who-the-artist-is".

I considered Sir Paul for a while but ultimately, he fell in the same category as Steven Wilson. A great, great musician and songwriter and solid singer (just a bit more distinctive than SW) - but vocals are not among the first things that come to your mind when you hear his name.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #616 on: November 29, 2022, 06:54:56 AM »
Neither made my list. Brad is a stellar vocalist, and Sir Paul I’ve always appreciated more for his song writing than singing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #617 on: November 29, 2022, 07:00:18 AM »
Two more not on my list.  I've never heard of Brad Delp.  And Paul McCartney's voice is just ok.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #618 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:08 AM »
McCartney #7 for me, only vocalist on my list so far. Legend.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #619 on: November 29, 2022, 07:14:06 AM »
Two more not on my list.  I've never heard of Brad Delp.

:omg:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #620 on: November 29, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »
Two more great singer for sure, but neither were on my list. Delp and Boston in general fall under the category of being excellent sonically but not really striking an emotional chord with me. I know the hits and that’s always been enough for me. One of the great voices in rock though, so not surprised he’s here.

McCartney seemed like a given for the list, but I guess I’m not surprised he’s this low. For me it’s mostly a case of appreciating the Beatles more than I love them, and I’ve never gotten into Wings or his solo stuff either. One thing I appreciate about him is he can sound like a totally different singer on any given song. Compare something like Blackbird with Oh Darling or Golden Slumbers or Hey Jude. Just a very versatile voice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:06:12 AM by HOF »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (submissions due 11/26)
« Reply #621 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:25 AM »
I have 25 Metal singers! :lol

I think a top 25 singers countdown should really be done by genre.  That's why I didn't do this. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lethean

« Reply #622 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
Two more not on my list.  I've never heard of Brad Delp.

:omg:

Well it doesn't look like I'm the only one. :p

I have heard More Than a Feeling, and probably others though maybe not by title as I'm not really recognizing anything else.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: November 29, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »
I'm only really familiar with Boston's hits and had no clue what the singers name was. Now I know  :lol

Yeah, I really enjoy Boston's music but I only know a handful of songs.  I always thought the singer was good, but never knew his name or had much reason to look into the band further because there's just not a lot of music from him.  My father loves Boston and took me to see them, but it was after his death.

I'm not a beatles fan, Paul was never a thought for me.

Still no one on my list.

Same. 

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: November 29, 2022, 08:10:33 AM »
None of them on my list....
Delp could possibly have made it if I had thought of him.

Haven't listened to Boston in ages but yeah..... great singer

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #625 on: November 29, 2022, 08:17:50 AM »
I had neither Delp or McCartney ranked, but I did have Delp just under the cut line at #26 or #27 if I recall. AMAZING singer.

Love McCartney. Really strong singer. Beautiful harmonies with The Beatles.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #626 on: November 29, 2022, 08:30:43 AM »
None of them on my 25 top list. Considered Delp but not enough for my 25. McCartney... Well, he is OK.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #627 on: November 29, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Never heard of the Brad lad. McCartney I had at #15.

Favourite 3 Macca vocal performances:

1. Let It Be
2. Helter Skelter
3. Here, There and Everywhere

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: November 29, 2022, 08:43:20 AM »
My father loves Boston and took me to see them, but it was after his death.

:eek

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #629 on: November 29, 2022, 08:44:50 AM »
Very talented guys in very different ways, but not particular favorites of mine.  Kind of surprised to see several people who didn't even know who Delp was though.