Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45371 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 17-15 featured!!)
« Reply #805 on: December 02, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »
I had Plant #22. 2 for 11 now. If I had made a lot longer list, Kiske  might make it but not Cornell.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #806 on: December 02, 2022, 10:01:58 AM »
17 Michael Kiske

16 Chris Cornell

15 Robert Plant

2 out of 3 ain't bad!

I had Kiske at 10 and Plant at 16.  Kiske is just phenomenal and hasn't lost much (and yes, Kev, you got the picture right).  Really looking forward to seeing Helloween next year!

I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, but Plant on the albums was amazing.

Cornell isn't a guy I knew by name until he off'd himself, and I vaguely knew that one Soundgarden song that got some radio play and another one that was on Guitar Hero.  Decent enough voice, but I was not a fan.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: December 02, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »
I still think Ritchie Kotzen sounds like Chris Cornell

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #808 on: December 02, 2022, 10:23:32 AM »

Agreed

Offline HOF

« Reply #809 on: December 02, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »

Me too! I don't think this is controversial either. Different of course, but still similar.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
Finally! After being 0 for 8, I am now 3 for 11.

I had Kiske at #4. His performance on Keeper of the Seven Keys part I merits this.

I had Cornell at #22 and Plant at #12.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 19 and 18 featured!!)
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2022, 10:52:02 AM »
The words "hot as heck" and that picture should not be in the same post.

I am a powerful and attractive man.  :)

Offline coz

« Reply #812 on: December 02, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
2 more for me!  I feel like my picks have pretty much run their course though.  Probably a couple more.

6. Robert Plant
5. Chris Cornell
2. Layne Staley

From my long list: Jon Anderson, Åkerfeldt, McCartney, Gabriel, Delp
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: December 02, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »
I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler but who the hell put him on #1?
That is a bit of a head scratcher.

I'm a big fan of his playing and writing, but his voice, while effective, is seemingly adequate, at best, IMO.
The guy who put him at No. 1 can certainly carry his own water in terms of defending him, but Mark Knopfler at No. 1 is no more crazy than some of the picks we've seen already.  It's the same lecture I got when I posited Elvis for number one; it's who you like, who resonates.

Bingo. It's why Thom Yorke made my top 25.  :) :)

You're just saying that to hurt me.   :) :) :)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2022, 10:55:27 AM »
Thing is the list is full of rock/metal genre vocalists so far. It is fair, I guess. But if names like Celine Dion, Jennifer Holiday, David Bowie or Lara Fabian don't make it to the list it I'll be very sad.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: December 02, 2022, 10:55:38 AM »
Haven't watched this in awhile until just now, but the Addicted! album by the Devin Townsend Project is my favorite album of his that heavily features Anneke. Here's a performance of the entire album and Anneke is fantastic here. I also love Devin's performance too and his facial expressions are epic  :lol but seriously, if you want to hear Anneke, this is a great example IMO https://youtu.be/lqnBn1c0lbs?t=1307 (time stamped for her introduction during Hyperdrive)  Devin's only performed with Anneke live once in the US, at a Progpower festival which is the driving force for me to attend that.  It goes down as one of my favorite concerts ever (day 4 of the festival specifically, it had Haken followed by DTP with Anneke).

That's the show I keep referring to.  When she does that wiggle while singing about the river flowing... dammit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2022, 11:10:51 AM »
Haven't watched this in awhile until just now, but the Addicted! album by the Devin Townsend Project is my favorite album of his that heavily features Anneke. Here's a performance of the entire album and Anneke is fantastic here. I also love Devin's performance too and his facial expressions are epic  :lol but seriously, if you want to hear Anneke, this is a great example IMO https://youtu.be/lqnBn1c0lbs?t=1307 (time stamped for her introduction during Hyperdrive)  Devin's only performed with Anneke live once in the US, at a Progpower festival which is the driving force for me to attend that.  It goes down as one of my favorite concerts ever (day 4 of the festival specifically, it had Haken followed by DTP with Anneke).

That's the show I keep referring to.  When she does that wiggle while singing about the river flowing... dammit.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the Retinal Circus concert.

Thing is the list is full of rock/metal genre vocalists so far. It is fair, I guess. But if names like Celine Dion, Jennifer Holiday, David Bowie or Lara Fabian don't make it to the list it I'll be very sad.

What could you expect from a metal forum?  Did you submit a list that includes those?  Feels like the Elvis discussion previously

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #817 on: December 02, 2022, 11:11:57 AM »
Didn't have these past 3.

Never got into Helloween.  Tried a few times, but they just don't connect with me.  But I've really enjoyed Kiske's work on the few Avantasia albums that I have. 

I can respect Cornell's singing.  Good vocalist.  Just wouldn't make the cut on a "favorites" list for me.

Plant is and has always been like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Can't stand his voice.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #818 on: December 02, 2022, 11:21:36 AM »

What could you expect from a metal forum?  Did you submit a list that includes those?  Feels like the Elvis discussion previously

I said: it is fair since it is a metal forum. And yeah I included this names. But still I hope DTF consider other genres vocalists for the rest of list.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #819 on: December 02, 2022, 11:38:46 AM »

I said: it is fair since it is a metal forum. And yeah I included this names. But still I hope DTF consider other genres vocalists for the rest of list.
I included vocalists from multiple genres on my list, but I'll be shocked if very many of them show up. 

But that's OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: December 02, 2022, 11:39:22 AM »
Cornell's voice is just so damn powerful!  Even putting Soundgarden aside, his Euphoria Morning solo album is fantastic.  And, his vocals on the Temple Of The Dog album are amazing.

Wooden Jesus is such a kickass song.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #821 on: December 02, 2022, 11:41:55 AM »
I had Plant #22. 2 for 11 now. If I had made a lot longer list, Kiske  might make it but not Cornell.

I had Plant at 22 as well.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #822 on: December 02, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
In particular, his decision to make music with Alison Krauss was a bold one, and has resulted in two absolutely delightful albums.

Yeah, his Zeppelin work is good, but I might prefer his material with her.  "Last Kind Words Blues" from last year was a stellar cut. 

I think Celine is rather underrated these days by music aficionados.  Bowie was fantastic, I wouldn't bet money on it, but I'd think there's an outside chance he's in the DTF top 50.  We'll find out later I suppose.  Jennifer Holiday was phenomenal and way too overlooked.  She'd be on my extended list somewhere, but I just haven't spent enough time listening to her to have a shot at this one.  I think I may have heard of Lara Fabian, but I'm not familiar with her.  Do you have a recommended song or two? 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #823 on: December 02, 2022, 12:10:47 PM »
I think I may have heard of Lara Fabian, but I'm not familiar with her.  Do you have a recommended song or two? 

Je Suis Malade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kp0dw4MuWs

Adagio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtNuLG5jAo

Just phenomenal. She is just not singing she is living it.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #824 on: December 02, 2022, 12:24:33 PM »
Nice, she's quite a talent.  The musical style is probably what holds her back from more music fans checking her out.  She'd kill it doing a duet with Roy Khan. 

Offline coz

« Reply #825 on: December 02, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Kiske.  Any recommendations?  Esp, from Samsara as we seem to have similar taste.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #826 on: December 02, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Kiske.  Any recommendations?  Esp, from Samsara as we seem to have similar taste.

Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part I from Helloween.
Instant Clarity from his solo albums.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #827 on: December 02, 2022, 12:58:53 PM »

It's more than fair.  It's to be expected.  You've got a pool of people with a wide range of interests, but we're all here because of a progressive metal band.  And there's nothing sad about good singers not making the list.  This is about FAVORITES.  Celine Dion?  I like some of her stuff (to the point that I own one of her greatest hits albums).  But is she one of my 25 FAVORITE singers?  No.  I'm not a fan of Bowie, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes the list, and I'm sure he was mentioned on several lists.  I don't even know who the other two you mentioned are.  Googling...a Broadway singer and a Belgian singer whose first listed genre on Wikipedia is "French pop"?  I struggle with this as much as I did with Stadler's comments about Elvis a while back.  Why would anyone think that these sorts of people would make a "FAVORITE singer" countdown compiled by a few dozen people on a progressive metal band's fan site?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2022, 01:10:35 PM »
Finally one I have on my list.  I had Kiske at number 10.  What a voice.  Cornell just missed the cut.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #829 on: December 02, 2022, 01:22:18 PM »
It's more than fair.  It's to be expected.  You've got a pool of people with a wide range of interests, but we're all here because of a progressive metal band.  And there's nothing sad about good singers not making the list.  This is about FAVORITES.  Celine Dion?  I like some of her stuff (to the point that I own one of her greatest hits albums).  But is she one of my 25 FAVORITE singers?  No.  I'm not a fan of Bowie, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes the list, and I'm sure he was mentioned on several lists.  I don't even know who the other two you mentioned are.  Googling...a Broadway singer and a Belgian singer whose first listed genre on Wikipedia is "French pop"?  I struggle with this as much as I did with Stadler's comments about Elvis a while back.  Why would anyone think that these sorts of people would make a "FAVORITE singer" countdown compiled by a few dozen people on a progressive metal band's fan site?

I think my fault about this to think all genres and I have a huge vocalist catalog in my mind. I just wanted to express some of them should be on the list no matter if we are in metal music forum or not or out of personal taste in music. But I get  what happened or will happen in the end. AND I KNOW IT'S ALL PERSONAL TASTE and THAT'S FAIR.

And for the note Jennifer Holiday and Lara Fabian are both well known and respected singers around the world, not like a simple Broadway and Belgian singer. And if you don't know them, sorry but it's your miss.  I mean I am a metal/rock listener since my teenage time and I learned Jennifer Holiday by chance and she is just a vocal power house. I listen some of her music time to time.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #830 on: December 02, 2022, 01:29:05 PM »
All 25 on my list are at least rock in some sense of the word. One is a rock and country singer, the other is rock/pop.

I enjoy many non-heavy rock/metal singers, but not to the point where they'd make the list over them. Remember, this thread is about our "FAVORITE" singers, not necessarily "best."
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #831 on: December 02, 2022, 01:31:23 PM »

Helloween keepers part 1 and 2. Also check out his other project Place Vendome .

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #832 on: December 02, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »
Yeah, the problem is that we each probably have a handful of names of people who might not be DTF's usual taste that we think are incredible and should be on a such a list.  But they're not going to be the same people.  So multiply a handful by a few dozen, and you get well over 100 names, and they're not going to all fit on a 25 person list which will mostly be popular by prog/rock/metal singers. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2022, 01:34:14 PM »
And BTW, Jennifer Holliday probably should be as famous as Aretha, Whitney, Mariah, and other soul singers, but that isn't DTF's wheelhouse, and I'd be shocked if any of them made it.  Here's a classic of her's.  She had a lot of grit in her voice that might appeal more to rock fans than a lot of similar divas. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN4IdX3USpA

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: December 02, 2022, 01:38:16 PM »
Whitney and Adele almost made my list. I had them in the late-30s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #835 on: December 02, 2022, 01:56:03 PM »
I didn't submit a list and even if I did (which I'm jotting down singers off the top of my head while reading this thread), I know like 4/5ths of my list is not going to be on this thing.  One of them is a JPop singer, so I know it's not going to be on this list.

But, I'm glad Chris Cornell made it to the overall list.  I Am The Highway is a great song with his vocals and the majority of his final solo album, Higher Truth, has great gems that showcase his voice well.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #836 on: December 02, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »
Three great singers today but only 2 out of 3 on my list.

Michael Kiske - my number 4. Keeper 1 and 2 are two of my favourite albums of all time and his vocal performance on these albums is just amazing.

Chris Cornell - my number 11. Like Layne Staley, in certain circles he is absolutely worshipped for his vocal technique and use of grit in his voice. I am a huge Soundgarden fan and just think his vocals on these albums are amazing, really great to see him here.

Robert Plant - just missed out for me. Not surprised at all that he is featured and I am a big fan. Leaving him out was one of my tough choices.

In total 5 out of 11 for me so far.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: December 02, 2022, 02:08:20 PM »
The stamina it takes to sing those Keeper albums is absolutely remarkable. I realize they are studio recordings, but man.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: December 02, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »
I'm surprised how many "never heard of them" comments there are about people who are discussed regularly here at DTF.  I don't listen to much Helloween, but I've read the some of the Helloween thread here to see what's going on with them and if I should check back in on their newer stuff.  Similarly, I will often read threads about other bands that I don't know to see if I should check them out.  I guess, I'm just extra-curious.  (Or, maybe names stick in my brain easier, from casual references.)

Cornell isn't a guy I knew by name until he off'd himself, and I vaguely knew that one Soundgarden song that got some radio play and another one that was on Guitar Hero.  Decent enough voice, but I was not a fan.

That one song?  Soundgarden had 14 songs that charted on Billboard's mainstream rock charts, 6 of them at number 1.  I know it varies by region, but in my area were all over rock radio throughout the 90s.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: December 02, 2022, 02:16:14 PM »

Helloween keepers part 1 and 2. Also check out his other project Place Vendome .

That first Place Vendome album is just remarkable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.