Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45366 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 19 and 18 featured!!)
« Reply #735 on: December 01, 2022, 06:55:19 AM »
 :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: December 01, 2022, 06:56:14 AM »
:lol

That's high praise.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #737 on: December 01, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »
Another from my list!  YAY!  Wait..... I FORGOT ANNEKE!!!!!!!  I knew there was someone I was missing.  DAMMIT.  She's one of my favorite singers.  I love her heavier stuff with Devin - Bend It Like Bender! is killer - but her solo stuff is just beautiful.  She elevates everything she contributes to.  Really really disappointed I forgot her in the rush; she would have come in around 12, or so had I remembered.  (I'm retconning my list; I had Shirley Manson at 44, and that's now Anneke).

Jon Anderson is the singer and co-writer of my favorite album of all time and I dig him, but he didn't crack the top 25; he came in at 34.

These are two really, really good singers, though, so I'm going to give a couple good performances:

Anneke:
The aforementioned "Bend It Like Bender!" (check out the live version from the London shows; an aural and visual treat all around).
Lo And Behold from her solo album "The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest".
Everything else from "The Darkest Skies Are The Brightest"; what a beautiful, beautiful piece of work. 

Anderson:
Turn Of The Century
Going For The One
Starship Trooper

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: December 01, 2022, 06:58:10 AM »
I'm looking at my list and I hate it now.  Both Anderson and Anneke should have been in the top 25.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #739 on: December 01, 2022, 06:59:56 AM »
I can't begrudge anyone who forgot people on their list. I regretted the bulk of my list a few days after I sent it. I really should've spent much more time with it, but it is what it is. That said, my top 2 are my top 2, so Anneke would've been there regardless.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: December 01, 2022, 07:13:00 AM »
Jon Anderson renders Yes unlistenable to me.

0-8!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: December 01, 2022, 07:18:50 AM »
Very nice..... both are on my list.
Jon at 13 and Anneke at 3.

17. Michael Åkerfeldt   
16. Peter Gabriel   
13. Jon Anderson
3. Anneke van Giersbergen

Never seen Jon live but I do love his voice on recordsand live recordings. Wonderful singer...

Anneke..... such a great voice and such a great personality.
I have seen her live solo acoustic twice, with VUUR once and with Ayreon once. Spellbound all times...

Three songs wich I feel shows her control of her voice

Your Glourious Light Will Shine
https://open.spotify.com/track/1ylbvo8LOjS9wlUI7Pae9C?si=oaXZ_YkUS-2J6uD-V4AMNA&utm_source=copy-link

Heart of Amsterdam:
https://open.spotify.com/track/4vsYT4MuXQFbFYJxiHyH93?si=No7j5U9LRl6Cne9yDDBknw&utm_source=copy-link

Edward Griegs Solveis Song:
https://open.spotify.com/track/4MLS6W7sdkcKqOTHgkmH3S?si=vXzEAM-RSVKv59HhvHjuow&utm_source=copy-link

Offline HOF

« Reply #742 on: December 01, 2022, 07:19:14 AM »
Jon Anderson was on my larger list to consider, but I’ve never been a huge fan of his voice. For a long time I think he was actually a big part of me not getting Yes. But as I’ve gotten into Yes more in recent years I’ve come to appreciate his voice a little more. Certainly one of the unique and enduring voices in rock. He still sounds more or less the same all these years later, which is impressive.

I’ve seen a lot of praise for Anneke here and elsewhere, and I think I checked out some of a recent solo album maybe, but didn’t come away with much of an impression. May check out something else, but given her associated acts I’m not sure much will click for me.

Online nick_z

« Reply #743 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:52 AM »
Didn't participate, but seeing Anneke makes me happy  :)

By the way, reading comments about her performances with Devin, Ayreon, solo etc...all great, of course, but please, please, please, for those not familiar with them yet, do yourself a favor and check out The Gathering...if anything, for her singing! Her first album with them back in 1995, Mandylion, is just one of a kind, and her vocals on it are a thing of (powerful) beauty. Nighttime Birds is great too. Then the music became progressively "trippier", but her vocals didn't lose a step (I'm a big fan of her last two records with them too, Souvenirs and Home)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: December 01, 2022, 07:27:48 AM »
Bonus.... met Anneke after her concert in Stockholm on the 15th of October.

Such a charming and nice woman...
Got to talk to her for a while and got a photo with her.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #745 on: December 01, 2022, 07:29:01 AM »
Didn't participate, but seeing Anneke makes me happy  :)

By the way, reading comments about her performances with Devin, Ayreon, solo etc...all great, of course, but please, please, please, for those not familiar with them yet, do yourself a favor and check out The Gathering...if anything, for her singing! Her first album with them back in 1995, Mandylion, is just one of a kind, and her vocals on it are a thing of (powerful) beauty. Nighttime Birds is great too. Then the music became progressively "trippier", but her vocals didn't lose a step (I'm a big fan of her last two records with them too, Souvenirs and Home)

I didn't totally connect with Mandylion like I thought I would when I finally heard it a few months back, but I will circle back to it at some point.  I like Nighttime Birds a lot, and How to Measure... is my favorite so far by The Gathering.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #746 on: December 01, 2022, 07:55:53 AM »
Neither made my list. Both very talented.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: December 01, 2022, 08:11:52 AM »
I've also got a pic with Anneke (and the first from my list to make it!)

Honestly, I don't really follow her solo stuff and I'm sure I've only heard a small percentage of her overall work, but she has such a unique voice and style.  She adds so much to Devin Townsends work that I couldn't keep her off my list.  The picture is from after the Delain/Amorphis tour where she had the opening solo acoustic slot.  Here's her doing a cover of Iron Maiden's Wasted Years from that show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anZG1vPK6c

As for Jon Anderson, I'd put him with Peter Gabriel.  I understand why people here like these guys, but that old school prog music isnt really my cup of tea so these guys were never really considered for me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #748 on: December 01, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
Neither made my list, but I'm cool with that and still enjoying Einar Solberg making the list yesterday. :)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
2 more not on my list, but Jon Anderson was #26 for me. Damn, just missed :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #750 on: December 01, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
I'm with Luke and Hef on my assessments of both.  Very fine singers for what they produce, but I'm just not terribly deep into their inventory of music, hence not on my list.  I've got a pic with AVG as well (ProgNation at Sea in '14), but not sure if it's online still anywhere - turns out it is.  Damn photbucket watermark!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: December 01, 2022, 09:42:05 AM »
What a lovely lady to take pics with us DTFers  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2022, 09:50:06 AM »
Yeah she's taking one for the team.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2022, 10:09:51 AM »
19 Jon Anderson

18 Anneke van Giersbergen

Jon Anderson is one of the most incredible singers ever.  His work with Yes is unparalleled.  He's known for high vocals, but he can go low and gritty too.  And, even better, he's been doing it more than 50 years and has barely lost a step.  I could listen to him sing the phone book.  My #2.

No idea who this woman is who finished one spot ahead of Anderson.

not knowing who Layne Staley is must certainly be way more shocking than not knowing who Brad Delp is..  :)

Disagree with that.  The demographics are different, and album sales aren't the be all and end all of things, but Boston has outsold AIC by a mile.  I didn't know who Staley was by name, but I'd obviously heard of AIC.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
Neither made my list, but it makes sense they are here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
My wife's older sister is a singer and also an elitist snob about singing/music so one time when my wife played her some Dream Theater she was like "Ugh he sounds like Jon Anderson". Hadn't really noticed that before but both are polarizing I think. I'm 1 for 8 so far (McCartney).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #756 on: December 01, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
My wife's older sister is a singer and also an elitist snob about singing/music so one time when my wife played her some Dream Theater she was like "Ugh he sounds like Jon Anderson". Hadn't really noticed that before but both are polarizing I think. I'm 1 for 8 so far (McCartney).

I get how singers can be polarizing, but Anderson sounding like JLB? Not even close to my ears.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #757 on: December 01, 2022, 10:57:08 AM »
not knowing who Layne Staley is must certainly be way more shocking than not knowing who Brad Delp is..  :)

Disagree with that.  The demographics are different, and album sales aren't the be all and end all of things, but Boston has outsold AIC by a mile.  I didn't know who Staley was by name, but I'd obviously heard of AIC.
I dunno.  Maybe there needs to be a poll. I'd think more overall people would know who Layne Staley was.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #758 on: December 01, 2022, 10:59:45 AM »

I get how singers can be polarizing, but Anderson sounding like JLB? Not even close to my ears.
I don't think they sound alike, either, but they are the same kind of singer (meaning polarizing - you either like them or you don't, not much middle ground).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #759 on: December 01, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »

I don't think they sound alike, either, but they are the same kind of singer (meaning polarizing - you either like them or you don't, not much middle ground).

They both sing in a higher register, which probably sounds similar to a casual listener. Especially if she heard something from Images and Words where James doesn’t have much gravel in his tone. Like, I could see someone who knew Owner of a Lonely Heart and heard Another Day making a connection.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #760 on: December 01, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
I’m 0 for 8 as well.

I am not a fan of Jon Anderson’s voice at all.

Anneke has a fantastic voice and probably would have made my top 40.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #761 on: December 01, 2022, 11:53:37 AM »
Listen, I'm not saying everyone should have had Anneke in their top 10.

But....yes, I am saying that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: December 01, 2022, 12:29:16 PM »
0-8.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #763 on: December 01, 2022, 12:41:50 PM »

They both sing in a higher register, which probably sounds similar to a casual listener. Especially if she heard something from Images and Words where James doesn’t have much gravel in his tone. Like, I could see someone who knew Owner of a Lonely Heart and heard Another Day making a connection.

Correct, I think it was his soft tone.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #764 on: December 01, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »
Yes!  Anneke was one I was unsure whether would make the aggregate list or not.  Here's the writeup I had done for her. 

22:  Anneke van Giersbergen

Bands - solo, The Gathering, Devin Townsend Project, others
Guest appearances - Ayreon, Amorphis, Votum, many others
From - the Netherlands
Other song highlights - The Gathering "Strange Machines", Ayreon "The Age of Shadows", Devin Townsend "Supercrush!"

I think at this point she's definitely the prog darling.  She doesn't have the the widest range or the type of voice to knock you over with power, but it just delightfully sits so well in so many different contexts, it's no wonder everyone wants to work with her.  [Edit:  And take pictures with her!]

Listening:

Agua de Annique - "Day After Yesterday"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2diVhbMkIfo

In Action:

Anneke van Giersbergen/Danny Cavanagh - "Untouchable Part 2" (Anathema)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKmS_t4qck

but they are the same kind of singer (meaning polarizing - you either like them or you don't, not much middle ground).

Even within the same person.  On some parts I love his voice, and others it bugs me.  My favorite thing he's done is actually his guest appearance on 4Him's "The Only Thing I Need".  He and Andy Chrisman sound divine together. 

Cammie Gilbert were closest to making the cut.

She is on mine. 

Is mine the first #1 vote revealed?

Nope. 

-There were two singers who were put at number 1 on a list and were not put on any other list: Marjan Welman and Mark Knopfler.

Yeah she's taking one for the team.

Yes, she's sublime, but it hurts my eyes looking at these random schmucks who photo-bombed DTFers taking a photo of her. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: December 01, 2022, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of Mark Knopfler but who the hell put him on #1?

Anneke is probably in my Top 10 singers.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #766 on: December 01, 2022, 01:21:40 PM »
That is a bit of a head scratcher.

I'm a big fan of his playing and writing, but his voice, while effective, is seemingly adequate, at best, IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #767 on: December 01, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »
Neither Jon Anderson or Anneke made my list. I don't really listen to Yes and as for Anneke, while I have heard lots of her singing and music, she was never in consideration for my top 25. A great singer but not really one I connect with.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: December 01, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »

I'm a big fan of his playing and writing, but his voice, while effective, is seemingly adequate, at best, IMO.
The guy who put him at No. 1 can certainly carry his own water in terms of defending him, but Mark Knopfler at No. 1 is no more crazy than some of the picks we've seen already.  It's the same lecture I got when I posited Elvis for number one; it's who you like, who resonates.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2022, 02:51:16 PM »

The guy who put him at No. 1 can certainly carry his own water in terms of defending him, but Mark Knopfler at No. 1 is no more crazy than some of the picks we've seen already.  It's the same lecture I got when I posited Elvis for number one; it's who you like, who resonates.

Exactly!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol