Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45395 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 21 and 20 featured!!)
« Reply #700 on: November 30, 2022, 02:09:33 PM »
 :lol

Tele's aren't prog either. Lol it's a sonics thing. Of course the younger generation used PRS guitars ect...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #701 on: November 30, 2022, 02:14:25 PM »
Definitely predates me.

Offline Animal

« Reply #702 on: November 30, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »
I know it is not a competition but...3 out of 6. And I am increasingly more confident that quite a few more singers on my list will make the collective Top 25..

Glad to see Einar get at least some love (and some who-the-hell-this-guy-is reactions but this is to be expected). As the highest ranker, I obviously think very highly of him. He might be the only singer in prog/rock/metal I know who is even more technically sound that Geoff Tate. On the top of that, he has that gorgeous rich tenor sound with a shit ton of harmonics and a lot of depth as well. I like Leprous quite a bit but as of now, they are far from being my favorite band - it is mostly Einar's sublime vocals that makes me go back to them and appreciate their unique music more and more.

Never listened to Alice in Chains, heard Stanley's name but that's it. At least I have a new singer to explore - that's why I like these countdown threads so much.

Offline Animal

« Reply #703 on: November 30, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »
As for the stratocaster debate, any band that uses guitar, bass or drums (let alone keyboards) is neither prog nor metal enough. And, upon further reflection, true (and I really mean true, not just some sissy form) metal or prog has no use for vocals either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #704 on: November 30, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »
Well, since some others have done something similar, here are a few of my favorite Layne performances:

Would?:  Layne just slays on this track.  I love when he goes from his softer head voice into the gritter chorus, and how he subtly changes up the chorus each time to give a slightly different feeling and emphasis each time through.

Down in a Hole Unplugged:  Not as clean as a lot of what you might hear from him, but I love hearing his emotional, powerful delivery, stripped of all the studio layering and effects, and without the loudness of distorted guitars to compete with.  Such a raw performance.

Them Bones:  Maybe my favorite AiC song.  I can't separate this song from the Beavis and Butthead sketch where they are watching this video for the first time and just stare wide-eyed at the screen in silence for a few seconds until Butthead says "...this is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life.  These guys are PISSED OFF."  :lol

Rooster:  Just a great song.  And lots of dynamics from Layne that show off both his abilities and his uniqueness as a--WHOA, IS THAT CHARLIE SHEEN?!  Wait, sorry, where was I?

Anyway, I'm not the biggest fan of the band as a whole.  But Layne is a singer that definitely made an impression on me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:59:17 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: November 30, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
25 Mikael Akerfeldt: NR  I totally get his being ranked, just not on my radar.

24 Peter Gabriel: NR   I liked/loved so much of early Genesis, but was never a fan of his singing.  Heard his albums when he hit the ‘Big Time’  ;) in the 80s,  but they didn’t catch my fancy.

23 Brad Delp: NR   I purchased the first three Boston albums within weeks of their releases (over a ten year span …oy)    Side One of ‘Don’t Look Back’ is easily one of my Top Five nonQueen album sides.  Great singer...his name just didn’t register.  I think back to the days of AOR radio, and the DJ would sometimes say….’that was Freddie Mercury and Queen’, or ‘Steve Perry and Journey’, ‘Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin’ etc.  For ‘just another band out of’…it was ‘Tom Sholz and Boston’…. :huh:

Sometimes it's image....a lead singer of a band isn't supposed to have a beard, are they?

oh.....and king.....great story!!!!! :tup

22 Paul McCartney: #2   I remember two events before I was six years old:  the entire weekend of JFK’s assassination, and The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.  My Mom, who was 38 years older than me, loved the band.  My cousin, eight years older than me, bought every Capitol LP and 45 that were released the week they came out.   There’s ‘Yesterday’ , ‘Here There And Everywhere’,  to grittier singing on ‘Helter Skelter’, his Little Richard-ish singing in ‘Long Tall Sally’, ‘I’m Down’, …and then the ranges shown in ‘Hey Jude’ and ‘Golden Slumbers’ / Carry That Weight’ / ‘The End’. 
Those two part lead harmonies with John ….

Solo wise….disappointing. Totally fell off my radar after Wings.  But, there’s ‘Live And Let Die’, 'Maybe I'm Amazed', and ‘My Love’, along with the 'Ram', 'Band On The Run', and 'London Town' albums.

21 Layne Staley   NR   not an AiC fan of their music or image, but I can hear why those that like this like him.

20 Einar Solberg: NR   I’ll be serious…other than Queen reissues and Dream Theater, I’m not familiar with 99% of what was released this century.  Not sure if their style fits me.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #706 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:16 PM »
The Alice in Chains unplugged set is a tough watch for me these days. Layne was pretty much on his last legs with his addiction at this point and his performance is filled with a raw emotion, as much of his singing was.

There are youtube clips of him singing live at his peak, which are a great watch for anyone interested, sorry I can't provide any links but they are easy to find.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #707 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »
Steven Wilson and Alex Lifeson used a Fender Telecaster.   

Gilmour used a Strat.

Lifeson also used a Strat (probably more than he used the Tele), as did Steve Howe on occasion.

Like Bosk, I also assumed from the name that Leprous was a death/black metal band.  I did check out about half of one song.  It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  I might even check out some more stuff.  However, if that singer uses that castrato voice a lot, I won't be sticking with it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #708 on: November 30, 2022, 03:31:03 PM »
The Alice in Chains unplugged set is a tough watch for me these days. Layne was pretty much on his last legs with his addiction at this point and his performance is filled with a raw emotion, as much of his singing was.

There are youtube clips of him singing live at his peak, which are a great watch for anyone interested, sorry I can't provide any links but they are easy to find.

I actually enjoy going back to that unplugged set. More often on audio, not so much video. The realness and raw struggle Layne is going through is there for the world to see, and he still delivers, vocally. Layne, Chris, Andrew...there will always be a sadness with the singers from Seattle's late 80s and early 90s rock scene. Some of my favorites, gone way too soon. Andy Wood would have been his generation's David Lee Roth. He was that flamboyant...and had the songwriting and singing skills to back it up.

Anyway, love the credit Layne has gotten on this forum.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: November 30, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »
Well, the Hentor Barberian was a mongrel of the strat with a different neck and more but yes.  It's all about textures. Not genres
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #710 on: November 30, 2022, 03:36:12 PM »
Well, the Hentor Barberian was a mongrel of the strat with a different neck and more but yes.  It's all about textures. Not genres

He played a Strat regularly on the Moving Pictures and Signals tours (pre-Hentor).  It's most prominent in the Exit...Stage Left video.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #711 on: November 30, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »

I actually enjoy going back to that unplugged set. More often on audio, not so much video. The realness and raw struggle Layne is going through is there for the world to see, and he still delivers, vocally. Layne, Chris, Andrew...there will always be a sadness with the singers from Seattle's late 80s and early 90s rock scene. Some of my favorites, gone way too soon. Andy Wood would have been his generation's David Lee Roth. He was that flamboyant...and had the songwriting and singing skills to back it up.

Anyway, love the credit Layne has gotten on this forum.  :metal

Yes, totally agree. I am not sure the Seattle scene gets that much love overall on the forum but good to see it getting some with the inclusion of Layne on this list. He definitely was my favourite from that era but the other guys you mention were also great.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: November 30, 2022, 04:02:24 PM »

He played a Strat regularly on the Moving Pictures and Signals tours (pre-Hentor).  It's most prominent in the Exit...Stage Left video.

Yup.  That's why he went to modifying one.  Look at The Big Money video.

Not to take over RJ's vocal pics. I'll stop here. I just listened to Priest today. I'll assume he's on RJ's list. Plus Rik Emmit.

Edit:  I'm a dummy. I'm mixing up posts. Though I'd love to see both make it but I bet Emmit won't.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:34:46 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: November 30, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »
I'm 0-6 so far!  :lol

Same... and I pulled a 'you' this morning, as my initial reaction to the post was

0-6 for me too.  No idea who the Leprous guy was also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #714 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:47 PM »

Same... and I pulled a 'you' this morning, as my initial reaction to the post was

I hope the "who" in jingle's post was also referring to Einar, because not knowing who Layne Staley is must certainly be way more shocking than not knowing who Brad Delp is..  :)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #715 on: November 30, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »

Good lord  :lol

I forget sometimes that there are areas of DTF where bands like Leprous are never discussed. I get it, as I'm obviously never in the threads where everyone is all about The Delp, but still.

I have sampled the singers I've been unfamiliar with so far, and I hope others are doing the same for the Einar's out there.

My recommendation for a Einar performance...

https://youtu.be/1QKx_2yg4cU

(bonus performance, Baard absolutely killing it on the drums). It gets off to a slow start but stuck with it.

I guess we need a playlist at the end of this that consists of vocal performances of all 25 singers. I'd be down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: November 30, 2022, 04:48:19 PM »
I've checked Leprous a few times and while I can kind of see why they appeal to some, but I just don't like them at all.  I remember not being a big fan of the vocals either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #717 on: November 30, 2022, 05:11:36 PM »
Layne was fantastic.  Probably in my top 100, maybe 75.  AIC in general was incredible, and Jerry's playing and harmonizing were a big part of that as well, or even the others, but Layne was one of the relative few whose "yarling" has actually aged well. 

Einar is clearly incredibly gifted, but so far it just hasn't been the sort of voice for me. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #718 on: November 30, 2022, 05:15:01 PM »
I can admire the hell out of Layne's voice, but I am only the most casual AiC fan. I like some of their big hits but never dug deeper into their catalogue, so his name was never going to be on my list for that reason alone. But I totally understand why he's on people's lists and don't begrudge him being on this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #719 on: November 30, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »
I’m 0 for 6 as well.

As much as I am a fan of AIC, I never considered Layne Staley for my list.

I own one Leprous album and don’t remember much about it, though I do recall that the vocals are decent.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:50 PM »
I never liked Staley's voice much on its own, it really only works for me when complimented with Jerry's, as it is with one of my Mt Rushmore songs, Don't Follow.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #721 on: November 30, 2022, 06:44:25 PM »
Layne Staley - Made it to my shortlist, but landed at #64 ultimately. I love his voice though and he probably should have ended up higher (probably not top 25 but, eh...). While it's true there was a magic to the harmonizing between Layne and Jerry, Layne was a beast in his own right.

Einar Solberg - He was my #5 and I thought for sure I would be the top ranker. What a voice this guy has! Wide range and a large variety of styles. Plus he has only improved with time. He was admittedly a little rougher around the edges on Leprous' first couple albums, but has really cemented himself as one of the greats, in my opinion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #722 on: November 30, 2022, 08:05:13 PM »
Definitely predates me.

Hell, it predates me - or just wan't memorable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #723 on: November 30, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
Einar Solberg - He was my #5 and I thought for sure I would be the top ranker. What a voice this guy has! Wide range and a large variety of styles. Plus he has only improved with time. He was admittedly a little rougher around the edges on Leprous' first couple albums, but has really cemented himself as one of the greats, in my opinion.

Ranking twins :)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #724 on: November 30, 2022, 08:51:18 PM »
7 Paul McCartney
3 Brad Delp

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 19 and 18 featured!!)
« Reply #725 on: December 01, 2022, 06:08:57 AM »
I am happy to say that both of today's featured singers finished in my top 25!  :metal :metal

19 Jon Anderson

Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 1 (lonestar)
3 Top 10 Finishes

Definitely one of the more unique voices in rock.  I have always been a fan; I ranked him 15th.  There is an ethereal quality to his voice that is so appealing.  Yes at their creative peak was adventurous rock in full bombast mode, and it wouldn't have been the same without Anderson's voice.

18 Anneke van Giersbergen

Appeared on 9 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Adami)
5 Top 10 Finishes

Ah yes, the goddess that is Anneke! I ranked her 23rd and kinda feel like it should have been higher, but I think the lack of material (that I listen to regularly) where she is the main singer is why I didn't put her higher, as the material I listen to the most with her are the albums she has done with Devin and Arjen.  Slowly getting into The Gathering more and more each day, though.  Her voice is just heavenly, and I am a little stunned that she was only on nine of the lists here.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #726 on: December 01, 2022, 06:14:41 AM »
Finally a name that made to my list.

I love Anneke. She has a powerful voice and her live performance is so consistent. I ranked her #16.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #727 on: December 01, 2022, 06:26:34 AM »
Just saw Anneke's solo acoustic show less than a month ago in Belgrade, great great performance. Just her and guitar, and it sounded awesome. Love her latest solo albums, covers were cool as well (especially Kate Bush ones). I'm not usually fan of female vocals (especially operatic) in metal (sorry) but her works well in the most stuff she's in, maybe because she often has that folky tone. Would love to hear her do more work with Amorphis. Ranked her at #5.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #728 on: December 01, 2022, 06:32:47 AM »
Anneke should've made my list, just slipped my mind.

My feelings for Jon are pretty obvious since I had him at #1. Great voice, great performer, great writer, and a great human being. Just delivers on all fronts, and is still singing with perfection 50 years later. Totally worthy of my top spot.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #729 on: December 01, 2022, 06:34:40 AM »
Neither made my list but I appreciate both being here.

I prefer Anneke out of these two, but although I've sampled some of her other stuff it's mainly her work with Devin that I know. I think her voice really compliments Devin's and they work so well together. I guess Devin is good at picking out female singers as Ché Aimee Dorval is also incredible.

Like Tim, I had zero female vocalists in my list, but Anneke, Ché and Cammie Gilbert were closest to making the cut.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:42:49 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: December 01, 2022, 06:37:10 AM »
Anneke wouldn't have made the list, I know very little over stuff.

I can appreciate Jon but he never did anything personally, I could never get used to the timbre of his voice.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #731 on: December 01, 2022, 06:39:20 AM »
Didn’t consider Anneke for this list. Great voice, but I’ve always enjoyed her more in a supporting role rather than lead vocalist.

Jon Anderson was #11 for me. Great voice, though his lyrics can be strange sometimes. (I’ve yet to understand what “rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace” means. My liver is just fine thank you.)
In a band full of instrumental virtuosos, the vocals are always what stood out to me the most in Yes.

25. Layne Staley
11. Jon Anderson
2. Peter Gabriel

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #732 on: December 01, 2022, 06:45:06 AM »
Neither made my list, but it makes sense they are here.

Anderson has one of those voices that I almost but not quite dislike (Geddy Lee is another), maybe well-suited for the music he makes but it's a good thing the music he makes is as good as it is or I wouldn't put up with listening to the voice.

Anneke is a fairly recent discovery for me, and I like what I've heard, but her voice doesn't strike me as groundbreaking or anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #733 on: December 01, 2022, 06:48:17 AM »
Is mine the first #1 vote revealed?

23- Peter Gabriel
10- Brad Delp
1- Jon Anderson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #734 on: December 01, 2022, 06:52:43 AM »
WOOO I FINALLY GOT ONE!

Yes, I have loved Anneke for years now. Seen her live with the Gathering once, solo once, acoustic solo once, and with Ayreon once. I love her Gathering albums, her stuff with Arjen, Devin, etc., and also her own solo albums (including Agua de whatever). She can sing me Stadler's post and somehow I'd agree with them all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com