Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45372 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 21 and 20 featured!!)
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2022, 06:23:13 AM »
I would definitely have put Einar on my list, somewhere in Top 15 maybe. I like his voice a lot.

Had no idea who both Brad Delp and Layne Staley were before this thread. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!!)
« Reply #666 on: November 30, 2022, 06:23:45 AM »
Layne wasn't anywhere near my list, the only Alice in Chains album I own is Dirt. It's a good album but I never even considered him.

Fuck yea for Einar! This gives me some hope that a few other picks of mine may actually make this list. Einar's vocals are incredible and alongside Baard's drumming, the reason I adore Leprous.

19. Paul McCartney
6. Einar Solberg
5. Mikael Åkerfeldt

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #667 on: November 30, 2022, 06:24:11 AM »
I had Staley at # 19, although if I'm being honest, in retrospect I would have left him off.  What made AIC so awesome vocally was not Staley's voice alone, but the ungodly harmonies forged by Staley and Cantrell, no matter which one was singing lead at the time.  And you can't put them both in one slot.

Never heard Solberg, so I can't say.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #668 on: November 30, 2022, 06:24:38 AM »
I like Alice in Chains a good bit, but looking back at my big list I never actually put Staley on it (I thought I had but I guess I forgot him). Definitely a unique and powerful voice, but wouldn’t have made my top 25 at any rate. He’d be behind Vedder and Cornell from the Seattle grunge singers for me (and neither of them made my list. Vedder was a close miss though, actually had him on it initially).

I will say River of Deceit by Mad Season is a really great Staley vocal performance.

No idea on the Leprous singer, so obviously not someone I would have ranked.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: November 30, 2022, 06:30:10 AM »
I had Staley at # 19, although if I'm being honest, in retrospect I would have left him off.  What made AIC so awesome vocally was not Staley's voice alone, but the ungodly harmonies forged by Staley and Cantrell, no matter which one was singing lead at the time.  And you can't put them both in one slot.

Well said about Layne. Layne was as good as he was because of Jerry and while he does have a very distinct voice I don't think he would've made my list, however he is at the top of the vocalist list out of the big 4 of grunge.

I saw AiC a few months back and with Jerry backing up William you could close your eyes and believe it was Layne and not William standing up there.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #670 on: November 30, 2022, 06:30:19 AM »
Einar is the reason I just can't get into Leprous.

Never dug much into Alice in Chains.

0/2 on this one.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: November 30, 2022, 06:31:33 AM »
These two are not on my radar. So far only the first 2 are on my list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #672 on: November 30, 2022, 06:35:04 AM »
I'm 0-6 so far!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #673 on: November 30, 2022, 06:47:45 AM »
I'm 0-6 so far!  :lol

Same... and I pulled a 'you' this morning, as my initial reaction to the post was

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #674 on: November 30, 2022, 06:53:56 AM »
0 singer so far.

I don't find last two "favorite singer", they are so ordinary for my taste.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #675 on: November 30, 2022, 06:55:43 AM »
 :metal

Both on my list.  :)  Layne Staley at #8, and Einar Solberg at #5. 

Layne Staley is one of my oldest favorites, and certainly the combination with Jerry Cantrell was awesome, but so was his voice on its own.  I never got to see him live, but from all the videos I've watched, he was great there too.

And Einar.  I think his vocals are stunning.  I really loved Tall Poppy Syndrome but didn't yet think of him as a favorite singer.  Then with Bilateral I remember starting to think that he had a really unique voice that made the songs even better than they already were, and it built from there. The last couple Leprous albums are among my favorites, and his voice is a huge part of that.  He's gotten more consistent live too.  I think earlier he had good nights and bad nights but recently he's been on most of the times I've seen him.  I remember him absolutely killing it on Distant Bells when they did the Pitfalls live stream and he even embellished it a little and he was on fire.  Fantastic fantastic singer and I'm so glad he made the list.  I wasn't expecting him to.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #676 on: November 30, 2022, 07:02:09 AM »
Neither on my list. Though I dig Layne, not sure he’d ever make a top whatever for me. And I couldn’t get into Leperous. Mostly cause of the vocals.

Another 2 not on my list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #677 on: November 30, 2022, 07:11:53 AM »
Layne was #25 for me. I love the first 2 Alice In Chains albums and the couple of EPs they did. Nothing else after that resonates with me, and the stuff with their new singer is just flat out boring.

I didn’t consider Einar for this list but I think he has an incredible voice. Leprous is a band I can only stand in small doses though.

25. Layne Staley
2. Peter Gabriel
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:17:44 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #678 on: November 30, 2022, 07:14:37 AM »

This is 100% correct; and given that Jerry has largely recreated that harmonic blend with William, while I like Layne's voice, he wasn't going to end up anywhere near my list.   

As for Elnar Solberg, isn't that that girl who's trying to save the planet from global warming?  Why is she here?  :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #679 on: November 30, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
I had Layne Staley at #11. If you are a singer, or know anything about singing, you know Layne Staley was an absolute MASTER when it comes to vocal control. Or if you're too young to really know who he was, go put on those Alice records with him...or better yet, the EPs. Mad Season was another band/project of his that is an absolute MUST. He truly deserved to be this high on the list and glad DTF folks saw that.

I have to admit, however, that I don't know Einar Solberg, but now that I know he's the Leprous singer - I've always been curious about this band. But every time I check a song out, I'm not sold that they are for me. I need to take the plunge on them. Album recommendation anyone?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 08:42:52 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: November 30, 2022, 08:40:58 AM »
While neither were on my list, I'm also 0-6, I'm not surprised by these choices.  AiC are definitely my favorite of the big grunge bands from Seattle in the early 90s.  BUT I've never been big into Layne.  In my mind, it's always been Jerry's band.  However, I do get that there was something about him that people loved. 

As for Einar, he's a good singer and it's not surprising to see him here because this is generally a prog audience.  I just think he becomes very repetitive if you've listened to enough Leprous that I wouldn't of ranked him (and didn't).  I think both are fine choices even if I didn't pick them.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #681 on: November 30, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »
Layne had a very unique and powerful voice, nice to see he made the list.

Einar…..no, just…..no.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #682 on: November 30, 2022, 09:28:02 AM »
I had Layne Staley at #11. If you are a singer, or know anything about singing, you know Layne Staley was an absolute MASTER when it comes to vocal control. Or if you're too young to really know who he was, go put on those Alice records with him...or better yet, the EPs. Mad Season was another band/project of his that is an absolute MUST. He truly deserved to be this high on the list and glad DTF folks saw that.
Completely agree, and with Mad Season you can hear him without Jerry and he was still incredible.

I have to admit, however, that I don't know Einar Solberg, but now that I know he's the Leprous singer - I've always been curious about this band. But every time I check a song out, I'm not sold that they are for me. I need to take the plunge on them. Album recommendation anyone?
This is so hard.  I love everything, so it's really hard to say.  Maybe Pitfalls?  It definitely showcases him as a vocalist.  Bilateral is my personal favorite.  Whatever you pick will possibly need some growing time though; at least that's how it's been for me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #683 on: November 30, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »
21 Layne Staley

20 Einar Solberg

Never even heard of these guys.  I've heard of Alice in Chains, of course, but I don't think I've heard anything other than Man in a Box, which I thought sucked balls.  Absolutely no clue about the other guy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #684 on: November 30, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »
Had Staley at #24.

What made AIC so awesome vocally was not Staley's voice alone, but the ungodly harmonies forged by Staley and Cantrell, no matter which one was singing lead at the time. 

This is true, but doesn't diminish his own abilities in my mind.  Also:

If you are a singer, or know anything about singing, you know Layne Staley was an absolute MASTER when it comes to vocal control.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #685 on: November 30, 2022, 09:54:46 AM »
Next two!

21 Layne Staley
Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (coz)
4 Top 10 Finishes

Outside of a few songs, I am not really an Alice in Chains fan, but I can see and hear why many have great love for his voice.  He's just not a singer that comes to mind for me when thinking of great ones.

20 Einar Solberg
Appeared on 6 of 36 lists
Highest Finish:  2 (Animal)
6 Top 10 Finishes

This is one I had to look up who it was when I saw his name appear on a few lists.  He finished in the top 10 for all six people who put him on theirs, which is why he squeezed into the top 25.   I didn't really dig Leprous when I saw them open for Haken a few years ago.

Neither came anywhere close to making my list. ???

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #686 on: November 30, 2022, 12:03:32 PM »
Yeah those last 2 are real head-scratchers. Not in my top 500.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #687 on: November 30, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
Something tells me we have more head scratchers in our future.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #688 on: November 30, 2022, 01:07:06 PM »
I bet your lists are head scratchers :lol

I find them both Layne and Einar great singers. Layne missed my list since I'm not a big AiC fan but I like him on some stuff I heard.
Einar was #9 for me. However, I'm surprised he made this list since his voice is acquired taste (get it? get it?). Saw Leprous live twice and he had blown me away with how powerful he sounded (expected a weaker falsetto tbh).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #689 on: November 30, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »
Layne Staley - number 7 on my list. As Samsara said, anyone who knows anything about singing knows how awesome he was. In some circles his vocal control and ability, especially how he created grit in his voice is worshiped. Just a phenomenal singer and sadly lost too soon.

Einar Solberg - Einar was on my short list and for a time was in my top 25 but just didn't make the cut in the end. When I first heard Leprous I hated his voice and it really put me off the whole band but I have come to really love his vocals and the band. So maybe anyone who couldn't get into Leprous at first, give them another go.

3 out of 6 for me so far. I think that this is a really great list so far. No head scratchers from where I stand.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: November 30, 2022, 01:11:50 PM »
I'm shocked people are shocked.  One of the most well liked grunge singers and one of the most well liked prog singers.  Who would have thought?!?  :biggrin: I mean, I didn't pick them, but it's not a surprise at all to me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #691 on: November 30, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »

I find them both Layne and Einar great singers. Layne missed my list since I'm not a big AiC fan but I like him on some stuff I heard.
Einar was #9 for me. However, I'm surprised he made this list since his voice is acquired taste (get it? get it?). Saw Leprous live twice and he had blown me away with how powerful he sounded (expected a weaker falsetto tbh).

Nicely done. :)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #692 on: November 30, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »

Einar's falsetto is amazing. Agree just so much power and control.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #693 on: November 30, 2022, 01:37:31 PM »
Not familiar with Leprous.  I've seen their name on the forum quite a bit, but hadn't listened to them.  Assumed they were some variation of death or black metal based on the name.  Surprised that they are referred to as prog.  I just attempted to give them a listen to see what they are about, but unfortunately couldn't even make it to the vocals.  Based on the video I started watching, just a few seconds in, it seems that the guitar player plays a strat.  In a prog band?  Sorry, but I just started laughing uncontrollably and had to shut the video off.  That is neither metal nor prog.  Not interested in the least.  I want that 30 second of my life back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #694 on: November 30, 2022, 01:45:02 PM »
Steven Wilson and Alex Lifeson used a Fender Telecaster.   

Gilmour used a Strat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #695 on: November 30, 2022, 01:46:59 PM »
I suppose I should pass on the advice that my friend likes to give: Listening should be done with your ears. Not your eyes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: November 30, 2022, 01:58:11 PM »
I know nothing about guitars themselves, I'm not sure why the brand makes a difference here or matters at all?  Maybe I need a lesson.

As for being labelled prog.  I know I called them that, and I think that's by default, but depending on the song, I could see someone labelling them as something else.  The first line on their wiki calls them a "rock" band but here's the other labels used in the same wiki:

Genres   
Progressive metal, progressive rock, avant-garde metal, alternative metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #697 on: November 30, 2022, 02:04:19 PM »
Yeah.. I'm baffled as to how the brand of guitar could affect the quality of music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #698 on: November 30, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
Sorry, thought it would be obvious that I was joking.  (I guess the pointy guitars thread on the old forum was either not as memorable as I thought or just predates most of you)  I am a Maiden fan, after all.  :lol

I actually listened to a couple of songs.  I see the talent.  I can see the appeal of the singer.  Neither the singer nor the band as a whole really did anything for me.  Not sure if it is a factor of just not being what I expected, or just not what I am in the mood for at the moment, or a bit of both.  Again, nothing negative to say.  Just not feeling them at the moment.

Steven Wilson and Alex Lifeson used a Fender Telecaster.   

OK, you really are NOT helping your case at all here.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #699 on: November 30, 2022, 02:08:45 PM »
(I guess the pointy guitars thread on the old forum was either not as memorable as I thought or just predates most of you) 
*dim memories*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.