Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45374 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (NO MORE SUBMISSIONS!!)
« Reply #525 on: November 27, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »
-Two different singers tied for being listed the most at number 1 (5 lists each).

I find that amazing. I wouldn't have thought no one would have received more than 2 or 3 first place votes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: November 27, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »
Knopfler (overall) is always a tricky one for me, in that I have never really cared for Dire Straits, but his greatness as a guitarist is more than obvious.  The main theme song from The Princess Bride (which he wrote and played) is nothing short of drop dead gorgeous. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #527 on: November 27, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
-Only four singers appeared on at least half of the 36 lists, and the high total was 26.

This REALLY surprises me.  I expected diversity.  But I could easily name around 10 or more that I would have thought would be common threads on most lists. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #528 on: November 27, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
I wonder if James LaBrie makes top 10. At least prime James.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #529 on: November 27, 2022, 10:54:59 AM »
-Only four singers appeared on at least half of the 36 lists, and the high total was 26.

Off the top of my head, I'd say JLB and Freddie Mercury. It gets fuzzy after that

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: November 27, 2022, 11:10:46 AM »
I’m just hoping for no more spoilers until after #1 has been announced….
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #531 on: November 27, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
I’m just hoping for no more spoilers until after #1 has been announced….

No worries, I just wanted to throw out a few fun facts today, but mum's the word till it's over.  I will start it all tomorrow, with the intention to finish on Friday 12/09.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #532 on: November 27, 2022, 03:02:19 PM »
I love Dire Straits and I love Knopfler but I didn't seriously consider him in my top 25.

Steve Wilson, same as above, love his music but he had no chance for me.

Meatloaf - well mixed feelings for me. I think he is great but if anyone saw him sing live at half time at the AFL (Australian Football League) Grand Final about 10 years ago is probably scarred for life as that vocal performance was beyond abysmal...

Offline HOF

« Reply #533 on: November 27, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
I did not rank SW, as I don’t really like his voice and I’m only moderately interested in his music. I did give some consideration to his frequent collaborator, Tim Bowness, who’s voice and music I find more compelling.

Meatloaf is not somebody I’ve ever willingly listened to, and I only know one Dire Straits album (Love Over Gold - at Dave Manchester’s urging, which is pretty great) aside from the radio hits.

I do have a few guys on my list who, like Knopfler, are better known for their guitar playing (and who’s voices are somewhat divisive), but who’s voices are also a big part  of the appeal for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:10:39 PM by HOF »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #534 on: November 27, 2022, 05:27:59 PM »
Mark Knopfler has worked with one of my 25 vocalists a number of times.  A much better vocalist than him in my opinion, but Mark's a better guitarist. 

Taylor Swift now has a better chance of making this than Steven Wilson, on a prog forum. Fucking love you DTF!

For the record, I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift but I love that people around here give zero fucks and unashamedly like what they like  :metal

Yeah, I like a couple of songs, but otherwise don't particularly care about her, but I love that at least a portion of the prog community is past the "pop music sucks" elitist phase that had stuck to it for too long. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #535 on: November 27, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »
Mark Knopfler? Wow, nice. On another note, Lemmy is the best of all time so no one needed to include him on a list, its a given. But you all knew that already.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #536 on: November 27, 2022, 05:37:24 PM »
I thought the given was that The King won, we're just finding out who is in his shadow. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #537 on: November 27, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »

Taylor Swift now has a better chance of making this than Steven Wilson, on a prog forum. Fucking love you DTF!

For the record, I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift but I love that people around here give zero fucks and unashamedly like what they like  :metal

Yeah, I like a couple of songs, but otherwise don't particularly care about her, but I love that at least a portion of the prog community is past the "pop music sucks" elitist phase that had stuck to it for too long.

I have never been shy about expressing what I like and don't like, and I have long been a sucker for a good pop song, but ultimately if it is good (to me), I will like it.  And I don't really consider Swift to be "pop music" in the narrow way is often expressed.  I have her classified in my iTunes (where we can label artists by genre) as "singer/songwriter" (same as Springsteen) as she does enough variety that I don't think she can be pigeon-holed into one genre, but that's neither here nor there.  :biggrin:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (COUNTDOWN STARTING 11/28)
« Reply #538 on: November 27, 2022, 06:16:08 PM »
Yeah, technically neither "pop" nor "singer-songwriter" are really genres (I mean, Death is technically singer-songwriter, Chuck sang the songs and also wrote them), it's more just the ability to embrace that it's ok to write songs with hooks that are catchy.  Not everything has to always be abstract, cerebral, dissonant, and challenging.  There's a place for both, sometimes in the same song at times. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #539 on: November 27, 2022, 06:20:58 PM »
Yeah, technically neither "pop" nor "singer-songwriter" are really genres (I mean, Death is technically singer-songwriter, Chuck sang the songs and also wrote them), it's more just the ability to embrace that it's ok to write songs with hooks that are catchy.  Not everything has to always be abstract, cerebral, dissonant, and challenging.  There's a place for both, sometimes in the same song at times.

For sure.

I always say, if it was that easy to write hooks that the masses love, 95% of the artists/bands in the world would do it.  Even though they largely stay in a realm that is outside of my musical world, Max Martin and Shellback are geniuses, as they have the knack to take a song someone else has written and tweak and produce it to where it becomes insanely catchy and a massive hit.   That takes major talent to pull that off successfully. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #540 on: November 27, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »
I only know one Dire Straits album (Love Over Gold - at Dave Manchester’s urging, which is pretty great) aside from the radio hits.

Glad you liked it! Knopfler has been my musical idol since I was a teenager. My favourite guitarist, singer and song-writer. Vocally I love how he brings the stories of his songs to life. A song like Skateaway, for example, the joy of the 'narrator' at something so simple as seeing a pretty girl in rollerskates (it was the 80s) is so, I dunno, 'authentic' somehow, like he's living it in the moment. He has a story-teller's voice. Knopfler always tried to weave his own working class geography into his songs and it all just speaks to me so deeply. Since he apparently isn't gonna appear on the final list, I just wanted to pay him this 'lil tribute.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #541 on: November 27, 2022, 07:09:49 PM »
I wonder how many time I'll :facepalm: when I realize I forgot someone.

I'm not worried about that happening for me.

There were only a couple of guys I wished I could've gotten on my list.

I’m still trying to get past Debbie Harry not making your list.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: November 27, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
I wonder how many time I'll :facepalm: when I realize I forgot someone.

I'm not worried about that happening for me.

There were only a couple of guys I wished I could've gotten on my list.

I’m still trying to get past Debbie Harry not making your list.

Hah! I never even considered her. I think I ended up nominating only like 28 to make a 25 man list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #543 on: November 27, 2022, 07:39:28 PM »
I like this version of Debbie, when she was working with H.R. Giger.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #544 on: November 27, 2022, 07:41:38 PM »
Her version of Rainbow Connection with Kermit the Frog is a real tear-jerker:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0Hd3uWKFKY

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: November 27, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #546 on: November 27, 2022, 08:25:25 PM »

Don't even need to wonder why she was my first real crush... :hearts:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #547 on: November 27, 2022, 09:53:09 PM »
I thought the given was that The King won, we're just finding out who is in his shadow.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #548 on: November 28, 2022, 01:21:35 AM »
I only know one Dire Straits album (Love Over Gold - at Dave Manchester’s urging, which is pretty great) aside from the radio hits.

Glad you liked it! Knopfler has been my musical idol since I was a teenager. My favourite guitarist, singer and song-writer. Vocally I love how he brings the stories of his songs to life. A song like Skateaway, for example, the joy of the 'narrator' at something so simple as seeing a pretty girl in rollerskates (it was the 80s) is so, I dunno, 'authentic' somehow, like he's living it in the moment. He has a story-teller's voice. Knopfler always tried to weave his own working class geography into his songs and it all just speaks to me so deeply. Since he apparently isn't gonna appear on the final list, I just wanted to pay him this 'lil tribute.
I think you're the first who is even more fascinated by him here than I am ;D glad to see it :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: November 28, 2022, 01:51:50 AM »

I think you're the first who is even more fascinated by him here than I am ;D glad to see it :tup

Knopfler did not make my list despite me loving him and despite Dire Straits beeing one of the first major bands I saw live.
I love his voice and I think he uses it really well but I would not call him a great singer. A great singer-songwriter yes,but not a great singer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!)
« Reply #550 on: November 28, 2022, 06:04:25 AM »
And away we go!!! :metal :metal

25 Mikael Akerfeldt

Appeared on 8 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Tomislav95, LithoJazzoSphere)
3 Top 10 Finishes

I'm a fan, but he went unranked for me.  He strikes me as being similar to his pal Steven Wilson in that his singing is nothing special, with it being perfect for the music he writes, but I suspect he got much more support due to his growling from the past.

24 Peter Gabriel

Appeared on 7 of 36 lists
Highest Finish: 2 (Metropolaris)
4 Top 10 Finishes

Huge fan here. I ranked him 7th.  He was a little raw in the Genesis days, but there was still a charm to his singing, and it got even better once he went the solo route.  There is a roughness to his unique voice that is so darn appealing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 25 and 24 featured!!)
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2022, 06:08:24 AM »
I really like Mikael, I'm happy he made the list. The dudes growls are impeccable and his clean voice really adds to the atmosphere of Opeth.

I would've never thought of Peter Gabriel, I just don't know his music enough to form an opinion either way.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: November 28, 2022, 06:20:13 AM »
Well, everyone knows where I stand on growls, so no surprise the Akerfeldt never even got a sniff of consideration.  While I enjoy everything from PG, I'm not sure he'd crack my Top 50 as a "favorite".

Kev... I'm not sure if you've normally done this since I didn't participate in your other countdowns, but when all is said and done, are you going to share the list of the 300+ that didn't make it, with any accompanying stats?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: November 28, 2022, 06:21:16 AM »
Jingle just curious what do you think of Mikael's clean singing voice?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: November 28, 2022, 06:29:43 AM »
Funny enough.... I have them just like that only a bit higher.

17. Mikael Åkerfeldt   
16. Peter Gabriel   

Bought Morningrise on a whim because I liked the cover and the song titles and a sticker said for those who like Dream Theater.
Loved his clean voice from the get go... got to love his growls after getting used.
Seen Opeth 7 times now.

Peter Gabriel..... one of my favorite song writers but not as high in the voice department.
Never got to see him live with Genesis but 3 times so far solo and a forth booked for next year.
His Secret World tour still holds my number one favorite concert spots.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #555 on: November 28, 2022, 06:35:04 AM »
Neither on my list. Fun start though and not surprising at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #556 on: November 28, 2022, 06:54:42 AM »
Had one... Never was a huge Opeth fan, so he obviously didn't make my list.

23- Gabriel

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #557 on: November 28, 2022, 07:13:43 AM »
Opeth is a band I can only listen to in small doses. Having said that I think MÅ has a great voice. He did not make my top 25 though.

Peter Gabriel is among my favorites primarily due to the 4 classic lineup-era Genesis albums, which are among my favorite albums ever. I’ll admit I’ve only dipped my toe into his solo work, but his time with Genesis was something magical.

2. Peter Gabriel
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:27:37 AM by Metropolaris »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: November 28, 2022, 07:16:54 AM »
Jingle just curious what do you think of Mikael's clean singing voice?

Hard to have much of an opinion, as I just never tried Opeth much.  There's one album I think that is mostly/all cleans??  If so, I did give that one a try, and was mostly underwhelmed.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #559 on: November 28, 2022, 07:20:16 AM »
Neither made my list.  I never liked Mikael's harsh vocals and his cleans are fine, but nothing really special (for me).

I like Peter Gabriel's voice on the solo stuff I've heard, which isn't all that much.