Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45254 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)
« Reply #1610 on: December 09, 2022, 07:22:34 PM »
James Labrie - unranked. I want to say I am surprise James ranked this high but I guess I should have known that would be the case. Images and Words is a top 5 album all time for me and  I absolutely love his vocal performance on that album. Since that time though James has been very hit and miss for me. Some album performances are better than others and as for his live performance, well I am not sure he ever really had it. I also think he is a very poor frontman with zero charisma but that is probably just me.

Freddie Mercury - my number 14 and not at all surprised Freddie finished this high. Well deserved!

Kev - thanks as always for running this countdown.

I have participated in every one of these type of countdowns apart from the very first one (top 100 DT songs) and I have really enjoyed them all but I think this one was the least enjoyable. I think it was because of the total diversity in everyone's individual lists and opinions which created infinite possibilities and made this one a little strange.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1611 on: December 10, 2022, 05:44:56 AM »
This was my first time participating in this kind of countdown, and I thought it was fantastic - particularly BECAUSE of the diversity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: December 10, 2022, 05:55:14 AM »
This was my first time participating in this kind of countdown, and I thought it was fantastic - particularly BECAUSE of the diversity.

Agreed..... loved the diversity and found it interresting that sp many were actually on multiple list

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1613 on: December 10, 2022, 06:49:19 AM »
LZ is the next songs countdown, but while I am sure some would want to do instrumentalists next for this type of thing (although I think guitarists would be fairly predictable - gee, I wonder who number 1 would be? :lol), I was thinking of doing favorite lyricists.  I think that is one that could be really fun and interesting. Thoughts?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1614 on: December 10, 2022, 07:02:17 AM »
I can't commit to a lyricist one. I don't know how deep in a list I could go. I think that would have a fairly predictable outcome as well, at least for #1.

Obviously Paul Stanley!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: December 10, 2022, 07:06:46 AM »
Not really a Led Zppelin fan so I can't cotribute to that but I would give a shot to lyricists.

I think I know who my number 1 would be at least

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1616 on: December 10, 2022, 07:11:27 AM »

I really think everyone here is great. Kiske and Rob I placed in the last spots just because, although both are amazing in what they do, I wish I could hear more diversity in their style.

Have you heard the Supared album with Kiske? Readiness For Sacrifice?
Hi Tim!
No, I haven't. But now I'm curious about it. I'll check it, thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1617 on: December 10, 2022, 07:28:32 AM »
Mine, with the bolded ones that made the cut:

25 Jim Morrison
24 Whitney Houston
23 David Coverdale
22 Robert Plant
21 Sebastian Bach
20 Barry Manilow
19 Pat Benatar
18 Michael Jackson
17 Klaus Meine
16 David Lee Roth
15 James Hetfield
14 John Lennon
13 Geoff Tate
12 James LaBrie

11 Deborah Harry
10 Frank Sinatra
  9 Ronnie James Dio
  8 George Michael
  7 Paul McCartney
  6 Bruce Dickinson
  5 Rob Halford
  4 Russell Allen

3 Barbra Streisand
  2 Elvis Presley
  1 Ann Wilson

I had about 4 I was debating for #1 but I decided on Ann - flawless technical ability, power, range, and sings everything with emotion and passion. The kicker is she always delivers live as well even up to today. Great job Kev as usual.

We didn't have a ton of overlap, and for every real hit (Ann, Elvis) there's a miss (Russell) but overall that's a really solid list, right there.   Hard to argue with Frank, Klaus, Debbie, Pat...

I don't get any personal satisfaction from other people's lists, but if I did, it would be at the frequency that David Coverdale is showing up.  Mock his Whitesnake nonsense all you want, but his voice on the Starkers In Tokyo set (and the later acoustic set with Doug Aldrich) is enough alone to get him on the list.   Find "Don't Fade Away" from that performance; it's amazing. 

EDIT:  Here's the audio.  There's video too, but I didn't see it outside of the complete show.

Thanks. To a casual observer it might look like a Most Famous list, but that wasn’t my approach. Most of the people on the list are famous BECAUSE they are monster vocalists, not the other way around. I listen to all of them, with Whitney Houston being maybe the lone exception but you can’t deny her ability. Probably should have swapped her out with Daryl Hall or Olivia Newton-John. I don’t know, too many choices.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1618 on: December 10, 2022, 07:30:56 AM »

I really think everyone here is great. Kiske and Rob I placed in the last spots just because, although both are amazing in what they do, I wish I could hear more diversity in their style.

Have you heard the Supared album with Kiske? Readiness For Sacrifice?
Hi Tim!
No, I haven't. But now I'm curious about it. I'll check it, thanks!

I assume you're familiar with Instant Clarity, is first solo album. A lot of that is heavy, heck even has Kai Hansen and Adrian Smith on a few tunes.
Readiness For Sacrifice is a whole 'nother animal. It's his second solo album, but the hard rock has disappeared. A couple of tracks, Shadowfights and Easy contain major vocal gymnastics, but most of the songs are pretty straightforward and quite basic, and he doesn't really use his high register at all.

Supared was a band format, and it's just the one self titled album. A bit more exciting that RTS, but nowhere near hard rock. I actually really like the Supared album.

The other thing I'd recommend is Part In Different Ways. It's a collection of Helloween songs done acoustically. I think he has a new song or two on it, but it has some interesting choices and is really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: December 10, 2022, 07:39:39 AM »
I can't commit to a lyricist one. I don't know how deep in a list I could go. I think that would have a fairly predictable outcome as well, at least for #1.

Same... I don't really pay strict attention to who the lyricists are on any given album/song.

I'd certainly be down for the instrumentalists.  Guitar ... I'd gather JP would be top 2, but I certainly wouldn't bet a paycheque he'd be #1.  Drummers on the other hand.... everyone would be playing for 2nd place.  I'd bet lonestar's salary, car, and knife collection on that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1620 on: December 10, 2022, 07:47:36 AM »

Same... I don't really pay strict attention to who the lyricists are on any given album/song.

I'd certainly be down for the instrumentalists.  Guitar ... I'd gather JP would be top 2, but I certainly wouldn't bet a paycheque he'd be #1.  Drummers on the other hand.... everyone would be playing for 2nd place.  I'd bet lonestar's salary, car, and knife collection on that.

Nice turn of the table.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1621 on: December 10, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »

Obviously Paul Stanley!

Offline Animal

« Reply #1622 on: December 10, 2022, 01:39:53 PM »
LZ is the next songs countdown, but while I am sure some would want to do instrumentalists next for this type of thing (although I think guitarists would be fairly predictable - gee, I wonder who number 1 would be? :lol), I was thinking of doing favorite lyricists.  I think that is one that could be really fun and interesting. Thoughts?

I'd be in for both lyricists and guitarist. I agree that n. 1 guitarist would be rather predictable but battle for other spots might be fun (n.1 in Maiden countdown was also easy to predict but it didn't really spoil the enjoyment).
   With lyricists, IMO, you would get a lot more diversity and unpredictability - I think people with sufficient interest in lyrics to participate are also more likely to draw from much larger pool of lyricists than just prog/rock/metal. So you might be getting yourself into even worse mess when tallying the lists than with singers. But if you are ready for some self-punishment, lyricists would be extremely interesting.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1623 on: December 10, 2022, 01:52:22 PM »
I don't have any interest in a lyricist one, but guitars would be cool.  It's a given who one of the top contenders will be, but just like this one, but are we really so sure he'd win?  I didn't expect JLB to not be the top entry, but I probably just haven't been around enough. 

Online HOF

« Reply #1624 on: December 10, 2022, 02:18:24 PM »
I think lyrics would be tough, in part because it’s not always clear in a band setting who wrote what lyrics. I also think guitarists would be fun and probably about as diverse as the singers countdown. Same with drums, bass, keyboards (not sure there’d be enough participation in that one).

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1625 on: December 10, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »
I'd be down for a guitarist/drummer one for sure

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1626 on: December 10, 2022, 07:17:16 PM »
My list - I had more than I thought I would:

25 Michelle Luppi
24 Tony Kakko
23 Roberto Tiranti
22 Damian Wilson
21 Erik Rosvold
20 Arno Menses
19 Chris Cornell
18 Jon V.
17 Tom Englund
16 Hubi Meisel
15 Bruce Dickinson
14 Andre Matos
13 Roy Khan
12 Edu Falaschi
11 Andy Kuntz
10 Mariusz Duda
9 Glynn Morgan
8 Layne Staley
7 Geddy Lee
6 Ray Alder
5 Einar Solberg
4 Andrew McDermott
3 Simen Hestnæs (ICS Vortex)
2 James LaBrie
1 Jonas Renkse

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1627 on: December 10, 2022, 07:18:18 PM »
25 Michelle Luppi

This guy is amazing!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1628 on: December 10, 2022, 07:21:00 PM »
25 Michelle Luppi

This guy is amazing!

Yeah!  I didn't care him on the rerecorded Secret Sphere album, but I love his stuff with Vision Divine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1629 on: December 10, 2022, 07:26:07 PM »
25 Michelle Luppi

This guy is amazing!

Yeah!  I didn't care him on the rerecorded Secret Sphere album, but I love his stuff with Vision Divine.

Stream Of Consciousness is an incredible album. He used to be my pick in the old "Who would you replace JLB with if he left..?" threads.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1630 on: December 10, 2022, 08:56:50 PM »
I just saw my #1 singer live and he was awesome (as the whole band was). :)

Online WardySI

« Reply #1631 on: December 10, 2022, 11:27:42 PM »
Thanks for running this Kev very cool as always!

Had Freddie at #12 was my pick for favorite too, well deserved.
Had James at #28

My biggest surprise was not seeing Coverdale make the list!?

My List; I originally worked towards a list of 50 hence why only just made the deadline LOL but here they are (maybe a couple there only my Aussie comrades will know?)...

40. Ian Astbury
39. Joey Tempest
38. Louie Merlino
37. Tom Englund
36. Zak Stevens
35. Floor Jansen
34. Bernard Fanning
33. Nils K. Rue
32. Andy McLean
31. Pink
30. Nick Holmes
29. Maggy Luyten
28. James Labrie
27. Emily Armstrong
26. Ida Haukland

25. Tarja
24. Jorn Lande
23. David Reece
22. Ray West
21. Michael Hutchence
20. Beth Hart
19. Rob Halford
18. Lou Gramm
17. John Farnham
16. Ronnie James DIO
15. Matt Barlow
14. Jimmy Barnes
13. Kevin Martin
12. Freddie Mercury
11. JP Leppaluoto
10. Ray Gillen
9. Lajon Witherspoon
8. Ray Alder
7. Chris Cornell
6. Bruce Dickinson
5. Huey Lewis
4. David Coverdale
3. Sammy Hagar
2. Jon Stevens
1. Geoff Tate

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: December 11, 2022, 03:14:02 AM »
Jimmy Barnes!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: December 11, 2022, 04:01:07 AM »
Jimmy Barnes!  :metal

I had Noiseworks in my Top 50 and got bagged by everyone excepy you Kade  :tup  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: December 11, 2022, 04:28:46 AM »
20. Beth Hart

While it's fantastic to see her listed, I think I'd place her higher.  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: December 11, 2022, 05:02:57 AM »
20. Beth Hart

Love her voice.  I just don't listen to her stuff too often.  The Zeppelin Tribute album this year was aces.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1636 on: December 11, 2022, 05:41:36 AM »
20. Beth Hart

Love her voice.  I just don't listen to her stuff too often.  The Zeppelin Tribute album this year was aces.

She's brutal, IMHO. We actually saw her many years ago. I don't remember, and while my wife doesn't remember her name, she has always said the opening singer..all she did was swear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1637 on: December 11, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »
Points all taken.

I will mull over what will be next after the LZ countdown.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: December 11, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »
25   Linda Ronstadt
24   Jim Morrison
23   Simone Simons
22   Amanda Somerville
21   Roy Khan
20   Jørn Lande
19   Russell Allen
18   Donna Summer
17   Ted Neeley
16   Freddy Mercury
15   Geoff Tate
14   Brian Johnson
13   Geddy Lee
12   Steve Perry
11   Joe Elliott
10   Robert Plant
9   Tarja Turunen
8   Anneke van Giersbergen
7   David Gilmour
6   Ian Gillen
5   Roger Daltrey
4   Floor Jansen
3   Sharon den Adel
2   James LaBrie
1   Bruce Dickinson

Everything after 15 or so is a bit of filler. I tossed in a couple names that I doubted would make anyone else's list, just to have them represented.

I didn't think I'd account for such a high percentage of points for Sharon, and even more surprised Tarja didn't rank very high. Same with Ian Gillan, as I thought there'd be enough classic rock fans participating to give him a boost. I know I talked about Ted Neeley earlier, but Ian's performance on Jesus Christ Superstar is a Mt Rushmore level recording for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1639 on: December 11, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »
I just saw my #1 singer live and he was awesome (as the whole band was). :)

I don't think mine has even toured the US.  But at least I've seen Jonas. 

29. Maggy Luyten
26. Ida Haukland
20. Beth Hart
14. Jimmy Barnes
9. Lajon Witherspoon

Good to see these getting some well-deserved attention. 

20. Beth Hart

She's brutal, IMHO. We actually saw her many years ago. I don't remember, and while my wife doesn't remember her name, she has always said the opening singer..all she did was swear.

She does seem like a hard livin' type, but her vocals are unbelievable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQ07fVVDJQ

I didn't think I'd account for such a high percentage of points for Sharon, and even more surprised Tarja didn't rank very high.

With the exception of Anneke, the female vocalists who've placed higher tend to have more power/rock sort of voices.  Sharon is too ethereal for DTF tastes I think, and at least in Nightwish, Tarja is a one-trick-pony, though she's good at it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1640 on: December 11, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »
Same with Ian Gillan, as I thought there'd be enough classic rock fans participating to give him a boost.

I'm a classic rock fan and a fogey, and I think Ian Gillan is generally pretty terrible.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: December 11, 2022, 04:27:30 PM »
Same with Ian Gillan, as I thought there'd be enough classic rock fans participating to give him a boost.

I'm a classic rock fan and a fogey, and I think Ian Gillan is generally pretty terrible.

Huh. Thought he was up there with Plant and maybe any rock singer from that era, short of Mercury.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1642 on: December 11, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »

Huh. Thought he was up there with Plant and maybe any rock singer from that era, short of Mercury.

No chance. I don't have the disdain for him that Tim seems to, but he can't come close to the truly great rock singers of that era.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1643 on: December 11, 2022, 04:31:58 PM »
I don't have the disdain...that Tim seems to

He's just overflowing with it.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1644 on: December 11, 2022, 04:32:23 PM »
Not for me. Deep Purple gets played a lot on Classic Rock radio and Gillan sings some iconic songs, but he's certainly not carrying them. I respect and enjoy them but I find them a tad overrated*. Not a lot, but still.

*According to the Bosktionary, meaning that I don't see what everyone else sees in them