Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45279 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 04 & 03 featured!!)
« Reply #1400 on: December 08, 2022, 08:32:42 AM »

For the life of me I can't figure out who #2 is.  #1 should be incredibly obvious.

It's funny, pretty sure who you're alluding to for #1, and I'd bet Jingle's annual salary who the other vocalist is(as would he). I'm just waiting for some younger members to pipe in "who?" when he's named.

I discussed it with someone via PM, and probably have it figured out now.  They were on my suspicion list, but I thought they'd be lower, so when they didn't appear so far in the top 10 or so I thought maybe they were just slightly off the list.  But given Perry's placement, I've recalibrated my anticipation. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1401 on: December 08, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »
I had the Air Raid Siren at #12. Love Bruce. He has been a staple for 40+ years of consistently putting out great work and his performances are so energetic. I am comfortable with where I ranked him, but absolutely am fine with the forum consensus at #3.

As for Tate, obviously, as posted, my #1. I think the debate on his vocals are marred by the generation 10 years or more younger than me. Sorta like how Perry was the other day. Tate was other-worldly. What he did in the 1980s and early 1990s (1981-1992) pretty much established the metal voice that would be used by guys like Ray Alder, James LaBrie, Michael Kiske, and tons of other singers as time moved forward. There was no one else that sang as clean and operatic with that much power in a metal band. Halford wasn't as good, neither was Dickinson. Tate had it all.

His prime wasn't "short." A decade of delivering that vocal style, over long tours, night after night, and in the era where guys smoked a ton and didn't realize what they were doing to their voice, took their toll. I actually think Tate had a great resurgence in his voice in the early 2000s through about 2006. Sure, they dropped songs a half-step to help. But he sounded really good. Clear.

Tate's voice changed over time. A lot. When he started out, his regular voice was high. Very high. I know there's this debate whether Tate was a baritone or a tenor. Some experts pointed out he was a high baritone, and his style made it so he could belt out those stratospheric notes. But he was VERY borderline between a tenor and a high baritone, especially when you heard him in the early-80s. His vocal training by the Maestro David Kyle, while enabling Tate to really sing that high all the time was jaw-dropping, it's actually been shown as the years have gone by to hurt your vocals if you keep pushing. And Tate pushed, and pushed hard. The relentless touring, particularly what they did for Mindcrime and Empire hurt him. And it took him several years to get comfortable again.

No, he's never quite been the same, but that's okay. The smoking didn't help, but when you look around at Halford, Dickinson, and some of the others, current Tate is fine for where he's at. Not one of my current favorites, but all-time, Tate set the bar for operatic metal singing in the 1980s.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1402 on: December 08, 2022, 08:49:43 AM »
I’m pretty certain about the top 2. One of them doesn’t surprise me. The other, if it is who I think it is, would shock me being this high on the list, despite me being a big fan.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: December 08, 2022, 08:56:21 AM »
If the second singer is who I think it is, it's absolutely well-deserved.

I'm just waiting for some younger members to pipe in "who?" when he's named.

I don't know about US, but if, once again, if the second singer is who I think it is, he's far more popular and well-known here than Brad Delp, Steve Perry or the Boston singer. I'd be shocked if someone goes "who?" :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1404 on: December 08, 2022, 08:59:33 AM »
I don't know about US, but if, once again, if the second singer is who I think it is, he's far more popular and well-known here than Brad Delp, Steve Perry or the Boston singer. I'd be shocked if someone goes "who?" :P
I don't know if this was intentional but I hope not :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
 :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1406 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:51 AM »
Tate was one of the remaining 4 who I thought would make it but was the least sure about. No doubt his drop off vocally after Promised Land and subsequent shenanigans have knocked him off the pedestal many of us had him on in the 80s and early 90s. But when he was at the top of his game, he had one of the most incredible voices in rock, almost as much for his lower register as for his higher register, but the combo of both was what really made him special. For me, he peaked on Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land, though certainly he was amazing on the earlier material as well even if I don’t really care for some of it. That relatively short peak meant he only finished 17th for me. But there was certainly a time growing up when I viewed him as the epitome of a hard rock/metal singer.

Much like the early QR material, Iron Maiden is just not my cup of tea. Never got into them on any level other than thinking they had some comedic value.

Your opinions are a never-ending source of amusement. You hate metal and it seems you don't care for DT that much; I'm still mystified as to how you found this forum  :lol. Oh well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1407 on: December 08, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »

For the life of me I can't figure out who #2 is.  #1 should be incredibly obvious.

It's funny, pretty sure who you're alluding to for #1, and I'd bet Jingle's annual salary who the other vocalist is(as would he). I'm just waiting for some younger members to pipe in "who?" when he's named.

Come on, everyone is gonna know who the remaining two are. I am really,positively and absolutely sure. I mean, I would bet anyone's annual salary but mine on that.

There's one obvious one.  I'm struggling with the second.  Not that I would disagree (I would no; he made my list) but he's not a given, IMO.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1408 on: December 08, 2022, 09:19:39 AM »

What I can't stand is that we have the guy who sings More Than a Feeling, as well as the Boston singer and Delp! Like, who the fuck voted for those three?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: December 08, 2022, 09:24:51 AM »

What I can't stand is that we have the guy who sings More Than a Feeling, as well as the Boston singer and Delp! Like, who the fuck voted for those three?

HAHA. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: December 08, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »

That wasn't intentional, apparently my tired brain decided Brad Delp sang in Alice in Chains. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: December 08, 2022, 09:30:54 AM »
I'm getting nervous now that my number 1 won't be o the list.... that was uthinkable a little while ago.

If my number 2 is not icluded I will be less shocked but as sad....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1412 on: December 08, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Wow, wasn't expecting Dickinson.  Personally, I had Dave Murray at #3.  Go figure.

:biggrin:

Yeah, relatively late to the Maiden party, but have been solidly on the train for a bit over a decade now I think it is.  But well before that, I recognized him as a top metal singer, both for his ability and his influence.  The man is just a force of nature in so many areas of his life.  Such power.  But also such a recognizable voice, in terms of timbre, color, tone, and so many other areas. 

Tate was my #1.  Definitely based on his prime, not his present.  I used to sing his material, and aside from what you can just hear with your own ears listening to him, it gave me an entirely next level appreciation for his abilities.  He could hit those notes with power, through an entire headlining set, night after night after night, whether tired, sick...you name it.  But also, he abused his gift, and now it is gone and he is a shadow of what he once was. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #1413 on: December 08, 2022, 09:41:02 AM »
Tate was one of the remaining 4 who I thought would make it but was the least sure about. No doubt his drop off vocally after Promised Land and subsequent shenanigans have knocked him off the pedestal many of us had him on in the 80s and early 90s. But when he was at the top of his game, he had one of the most incredible voices in rock, almost as much for his lower register as for his higher register, but the combo of both was what really made him special. For me, he peaked on Mindcrime, Empire, and Promised Land, though certainly he was amazing on the earlier material as well even if I don’t really care for some of it. That relatively short peak meant he only finished 17th for me. But there was certainly a time growing up when I viewed him as the epitome of a hard rock/metal singer.

Much like the early QR material, Iron Maiden is just not my cup of tea. Never got into them on any level other than thinking they had some comedic value.

Your opinions are a never-ending source of amusement. You hate metal and it seems you don't care for DT that much; I'm still mystified as to how you found this forum  :lol. Oh well.

Mostly because I’ve been on various DT related boards since the early 2000s when I was really big into DT.  I ended up here after the MP forum went down. While I’m not big into metal anymore, this is still one of the most eclectic places to discuss music that I’ve come across.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1414 on: December 08, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »

Mostly because I’ve been on various DT related boards since the early 2000s when I was really big into DT.  I ended up here after the MP forum went down. While I’m not big into metal anymore, this is still one of the most eclectic places to discuss music that I’ve come across.

I can totally get with this.

Compared to other boards or, God forbid, Reddit, this forum is an oasis in a cruel and unforgiving dessert!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1415 on: December 08, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »
this is still one of the most eclectic places to discuss music that I’ve come across.

Preach!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1416 on: December 08, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »
04 Geoff Tate

03 Bruce Dickinson

Alright!

Dickinson at 4; Tate at 7.

If we'd done this countdown in...say 1990, my top 4 probably would have been Dickinson, Tate, Dio and Halford.  Now, they're in the 4-7 spots.  I discovered both Dickinson and Tate via videos on MTV.  Flight of Icarus was in reasonably heavy rotation around the time we got MTV, and they also occasionally played Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast and The Trooper.  Queen of the Reich showed up FAR less frequently, but that opening scream was absolutely unbelievable.  Pound for pound, I might prefer Tate, but Dickinson gets the advantage with the volume of quality material and superiority as a frontman.

I don't think you can really say any of the top 10 singers thus far are "overrated."  It's one thing not to like them (I'm not crazy about Dio).  But they are all rated so highly for a reason.  They are crazy talented and crazy popular.  Hard to call someone overrated when the over-rating is solidly earned.

But isn't that what overrated means?  That the general consensus rate the person/thing significantly higher than you do (and vice versa for underrated)?

No.  To me overrated connotes that they are rated higher than they deserve--not simply higher than I think they should be.  Those are two different standards.

I think we're saying the same thing.  Whose to say what any singer "deserves"?  There's no objectivity to it.  I think so-and-so deserves 50 praise units, but he regularly gets 85 praise units, so he's overrated.  However, you might think that same singer deserves 90 praise units, so he's slightly underrated.

I think the reason why many react negatively to others using "overated" that this term implies more than just "I don't like X as much as others do".  To me, it sounds like the speaker is saying that X is rated higher than it objectively deserves and all these people who rate it so highly are somehow deficient in taste, incapable to realize that X is not that good, while the speaker alone can discern the true rating. It sound as if the speaker is taking the position of superiority - "you might like it but you are wrong".  I know, not everyone saying "overated" means it that way but this is how it often comes off.

I think this is probably right.  There's a fair amount of judgment in saying someone is overrated.

Anyone surprised not to see  Phil Anselmo till now? Obviously can't be number 2 or 1.

I don't know who that is, so no.

Come on, everyone is gonna know who the remaining two are. I am really,positively and absolutely sure. I mean, I would bet anyone's annual salary but mine on that.

Same.  Although I have to say that I'm a little surprised that one of the likely top 2 ranked that high (or, if some wildcard comes into play, that he didn't make it at all).

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1417 on: December 08, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »

Your opinions are a never-ending source of amusement. You hate metal and it seems you don't care for DT that much; I'm still mystified as to how you found this forum  :lol . Oh well.

I can totally get with this.

Compared to other boards or, God forbid, Reddit, this forum is an oasis in a cruel and unforgiving dessert!

Yeah, I've come to realize that my interests are far too niche and widely dispersed for there to be any one place that is into them all.  If you had run into me in the early 10s I was listening to almost no metal, and certainly no DT any more at that point in time.  Things have a way of recentering eventually though, and this is a much better hub than most, plus I have a lot of history with the much earlier version of this forum. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: December 08, 2022, 10:17:51 AM »

And plus, we're cool.  ;)

(I kid, but I know we've had some great conversations in the past and whether you're still on the DT train or not, if you didn't stay here, you'd be missed.)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1419 on: December 08, 2022, 10:19:23 AM »
Love them both (had Bruce at #11), but completely brain-farted on Tate and left him off my list. He would have been a top 10 for me for sure! :facepalm:

Offline HOF

« Reply #1420 on: December 08, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »

And plus, we're cool.  ;)

(I kid, but I know we've had some great conversations in the past and whether you're still on the DT train or not, if you didn't stay here, you'd be missed.)

:tup

Appreciate that!

I was being a bit flippant with that “comedic value” bit. I get that Maiden are a major metal act that a lot of people love, and I am not surprised in the least to see Bruce this high. I have two brothers who think they are great. From time to time I’ve gotten a kick out of some of their stuff (like the video for Run to the Hills). But musically speaking (not to mention the whole zombie imagery thing, etc.), they just haven’t been for me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1421 on: December 08, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
That's so interesting with the zombie imagery and videos and stuff.  I have never thought of Iron Maiden that way.  I don't think I've ever seen an Iron Maiden video.  There are bands that I think of like that, but to me they're just a great band that happens to have a mascot.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1422 on: December 08, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »
So I was really surprised to see the Boston dude on this list. I knew More than a Feeling and that was basically it. Seemed like a one hit wonder to me. So I decided to check out their greatest hits record. A few songs in and it's pretty damn good! I'll keep checking this out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1423 on: December 08, 2022, 11:10:45 AM »
That's so interesting with the zombie imagery and videos and stuff.  I have never thought of Iron Maiden that way.  I don't think I've ever seen an Iron Maiden video.  There are bands that I think of like that, but to me they're just a great band that happens to have a mascot.

I think this is the first time that I have ever seen someone be critical of Maiden because of Eddie.  Most metal fans love the band for their use of Eddie, including me.  He's just such a versatile mascot, zombie or not. 

I didn't submit a list, but mine would have looked something like this.  I'm leaving #1 blank because the individual has not yet appeared, but could.  The top five are absolutely firm, the rest could shuffle around, in and out of the top 10. 

2.  Geoff Tate
3.  Ronnie James Dio
4.  Bruce Dickinson
5.  Rob Halford
6.  Floor Jansen
7.  Russell Allen
8.  Michael Kiske
9.  Tommy Shaw
10. Ray Alder

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: December 08, 2022, 11:51:14 AM »
So I was really surprised to see the Boston dude on this list. I knew More than a Feeling and that was basically it. Seemed like a one hit wonder to me. So I decided to check out their greatest hits record. A few songs in and it's pretty damn good! I'll keep checking this out.

Their first album pretty much IS their greatest hits album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1425 on: December 08, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »

John Arch

Blackie Lawless
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #1426 on: December 08, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »
So we all know Kip Winger is number one.

I guess I'm trying to figure out who number 2 is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: December 08, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »
Bruce was an easy number 1 for me.  He is probably my all time musical idol, even more than any guitarist, which is crazy.  Love him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: December 08, 2022, 12:21:21 PM »

John Arch

Blackie Lawless

Blackie ranked at number 3 for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1429 on: December 08, 2022, 12:24:33 PM »
Geoff Tate is my fave singer of all the time and basically because of what he was capable of singing between 83 to 94, but I still think he is capable of a really really good performance, with a great feeling and tone even if he lost a lot of his power and range. As best examples of later Tate, I would mention: Avantasia's Seduction of Decay (2016) and Invicible (2019):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8az8y_D3tDw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrWYzt-mTug

I didn't comment before, but Bruce (#4) and Dio (#7) obviously are amazing and pretty high on my book! And they are among a few that managed to have almost a lifetime of top voice, specially Dio.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1430 on: December 08, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »
Seeing as we are near the end, here are some names I would have thrown into the mix…

Roy Khan
Steve Hogarth
Tom Englund
Pat Benetar
Lee Douglas
George Michael
Steve Walsh
David Gilmour
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: December 08, 2022, 12:34:32 PM »

Their first album pretty much IS their greatest hits album.
Don't sleep on "Don't Look Back", though.  It's at LEAST half killer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: December 08, 2022, 12:35:00 PM »
Seeing as we are near the end, here are some names I would have thrown into the mix…

Roy Khan
Steve Hogarth
Tom Englund
Pat Benetar
Lee Douglas
George Michael
Steve Walsh
David Gilmour

I had one of those (Gilmour).  I forgot about George Michael though; great singer.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1433 on: December 08, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
Roy Khan and Tom Englund were both on my list.

Online Adami

« Reply #1434 on: December 08, 2022, 12:39:06 PM »
Roy was on mine too.

What about non rock/metal/prog singers?

I had Lady Gaga and Billie Eilish on mine. I'm sure plenty of people had Taylor Swift and I'm sure Stads had Dolly Parton or someone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com