Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (Top 2 Revealed!!!)  (Read 45363 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Singers countdown thread! (#s 12 and 11 featured!!)
« Reply #1120 on: December 05, 2022, 09:12:59 AM »
Bach didn't make my list because I find him fairly irrelevant musically.  He's got a big mouth that gets him attention, but it seems mostly negative attention.  I'm sure he was amazing in his prime though, I do like Skid Row, but he was never a thought for me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1121 on: December 05, 2022, 09:50:19 AM »
I like Rush, but Geddy's voice was always an impediment to liking them more than I do, especially the earlier albums. 

Ray is on my list of vocalists to pay more attention to.  I've been intrigued by what I've heard so far. 

Many singers to list.  Lzzy Hale from Halestorm.  Chris Daughtry from Daughtry.

Lzzy might be in my top 100, great voice.  Daughty is incredibly talented, but I wish he would find a more interesting band or songwriter to work with. 

Possibly also Shirley Manson, Grace Slick

Like both, not nearly enough time with them to be on my list. 

Jorn Lande, Hansi Kürsch, Andrea Bocelli...Angela Gossow...

Not sure why you'd think that.  Lande and Hansi definitely have fans around here.  I'd think there's an outside shot Hansi is in the DTF top 10, and if not, I'll bet he's in the top 50.  For Lande, TAC might not be among them, but one person has already spoken up that he's on their list, and I'm another.  Bocelli is definitely quite gifted, but another that does a style that is just mostly off DTF's radar.  Angela would be on a list of growlers for me for sure. 

Loreena McKennitt...Dolores O'Riordan (a Cranberries singer).

Like both, but more cases of just not enough listening time.  Dolores had that semi-yodeling thing going on at times that was sometimes endearing and sometimes a bit vexing. 

I doubt David Coverdale

I enjoy his vocals, but not quite enough for this. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: December 05, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »
Jorn Lande, Hansi Kürsch, Andrea Bocelli...Angela Gossow...

Not sure why you'd think that.  Lande and Hansi definitely have fans around here.  I'd think there's an outside shot Hansi is in the DTF top 10, and if not, I'll bet he's in the top 50.  For Lande, TAC might not be among them, but one person has already spoken up that he's on their list, and I'm another.  Bocelli is definitely quite gifted, but another that does a style that is just mostly off DTF's radar.  Angela would be on a list of growlers for me for sure. 

Hansi is on my list, love him! Lande is an awesome singer, but outside of his work in Avantasia, I haven't really listened to too much of him.  Not much of a fan of Masterplan although I don't think they are bad.  I just couldn't rank him even though he's my favorite of the Avantasia guests.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1123 on: December 05, 2022, 11:07:23 AM »
Damn...8 pages to catch up from the weekend!

14 Daniel Gildenlow

13 Ann Wilson

12 Floor Jansen

11 Rob Halford

10 Geddy Lee

09 Ray Alder

4 out of 6 made my list!  I have no idea who Gildenlow and Jansen are (although, based on that gif, I'll have to check out the latter).

Ann Wilson is just AMAZING.  The power, the attitude.  I had her at 11, and I easily could've had her higher.

Rob Halford is my guy.  The pipes are beyond compare.  I had him at #8, although in retrospect, I think I might have switched him with my #5 singer.  Here he and I are back when I represented him.

Geddy Lee...what can I say.  I've regarded Rush as my favorite band since the mid-'80s.  He was versatile and, in his heyday, the man could bring it!  Had him at #13.

As noted, Ray Alder was my #1 (you couldn't have found a better picture, Kev?!).  No band (not Dream Theater, not Rush) has put out such consistently good albums over such a long period of time.  I'd probably have 10 of their 13 studio albums in my top 75 (if I ever made such a list), and Ray's voice has been such an indispensable part of 10 of those albums.  Even the albums at the bottom feature amazing vocals from Ray.  AND, when he couldn't bring the high screams anymore, he had the good sense to alter the melody lines so he could still deliver top notch live performances.

Who is the one singer you put in your top 25 that you were pretty confident wouldn't end up on anyone else's list?

Honestly, no one.  When I originally ran the ranker, Rocky Kuner (formerly of YYNOT) ended up at #25, but I removed her primarily because I "knew" she wouldn't be on any other list.  I'm quite confident that everyone on the list I submitted is on multiple other lists.

Easily half of my list.  I doubt David Coverdale or Johnette Napolitano are going to appear here.  :) Same with Jack Russell, Ben Orr (The Cars) or Hank Williams, Jr.

He may not make the least, but I can guarantee he made at least one other list (and I'd be surprised if he's not on a few others).

I'm curious whether anyone but me had two singers from the same band on their lists.

I did.  Singer A replaced singer B in Band X, and then Singer A replaced Singer C in Band Y.  I also almost had two singers who were in the same band at the same time (and, in fact, gave brief consideration to three singers from that band).  What I wonder is whether anyone had someone who wasn't a LEAD singer in his/her band (e.g., Chris DeGarmo or Chris Squire).

My results so far:

16. Robert Plant
15. Brad Delp
13. Geddy Lee
11. Ann Wilson
10. Michael Kiske
8. Rob Halford
2. Jon Anderson
1. Ray Alder

I'm guessing I'll do reasonably well with the top 8, but there will also be some surprising omissions.

EDIT:  Forgot that Plant had also been revealed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:47:45 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1124 on: December 05, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »
As for singers who I listed that I doubt make this list... I have quite a few so not worth mentioning, but I did notice I sent Kev "Taylor Hawkins" lol when I meant "Justin Hawkins"  I've made this mistake so many times since Justin was involved in the Taylor memorials recently  :lol But yeah, I doubt The Darkness singer made this cut.

But tell.us who your punk vocalists were!

I can appreciate Hawkins, but he didn't make my list. He gets the most play time in my house at this time of year, as Don't Let the Bells End is the greatest Christmas song!

I don't think my punk vocalists make the list either so they are: Davey Havok (#5) and Glenn Danzig (#25)

:tup for Danzig; say what you want about the guy but I dig his voice.  MUTHA!!!!!!!  Sorry, but I also think the original, John Lydon ("Johnny Rotten") has a really unique voice. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: December 05, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »
As for singers who I listed that I doubt make this list... I have quite a few so not worth mentioning, but I did notice I sent Kev "Taylor Hawkins" lol when I meant "Justin Hawkins"  I've made this mistake so many times since Justin was involved in the Taylor memorials recently  :lol But yeah, I doubt The Darkness singer made this cut.

But tell.us who your punk vocalists were!

I can appreciate Hawkins, but he didn't make my list. He gets the most play time in my house at this time of year, as Don't Let the Bells End is the greatest Christmas song!

I don't think my punk vocalists make the list either so they are: Davey Havok (#5) and Glenn Danzig (#25)

:tup for Danzig; say what you want about the guy but I dig his voice.  MUTHA!!!!!!!  Sorry, but I also think the original, John Lydon ("Johnny Rotten") has a really unique voice.

I would have ranked Danzig much higher if he was any good live (maybe he was in the 80s or 90s?).  His voice is classic to me though and the only reason the misfits are as popular as they are. (that and merchandizing played a huge role)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: December 05, 2022, 12:09:27 PM »
Ray came in at 15 on my list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »

Rob Halford is my guy.  The pipes are beyond compare.  I had him at #8, although in retrospect, I think I might have switched him with my #5 singer.  Here he and I are back when I represented him.

That is beyond cool.  I'm going to have to check out the Judas Priest thread for more stories.   :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:48 PM »
Who is the one singer you put in your top 25 that you were pretty confident wouldn't end up on anyone else's list?

Jorn Lande, Hansi Kürsch, Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion, Jennifer Holiday, Lara Fabian, David Bowie, Angela Gossow...

Jorn is in my top 25.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: December 05, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
10.  Geddy Lee   #10   Nailed it!  Thought he'd end up Top Five here, and surprised he was only on twelve lists....

9.  Ray Adler  NR  I followed some of the FW countdown, listened to a few cuts, and will do more later on.  No surprise being in the Top Ten here.

22  Paul McCartney  #2
19  Jon Anderson  #20
15  Robert Plant  #5 
13  Ann Wilson  #21
10  Geddy Lee  #10
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1130 on: December 05, 2022, 12:20:32 PM »

That is beyond cool.  I'm going to have to check out the Judas Priest thread for more stories.   :tup

He (along with Ian Hill, Glenn Tipton, Bill Curbishley and Jayne Andrews and a handful of related entities) got sued by his former personal manager over the souring of the relationship (if you google "rob halford john baxter" you can get the basic details).  The picture was taken after a full day of mediation.  We went down to San Diego and had dinner with him and his boyfriend at this little Mexican place.  At one point, the waitress relayed a request from someone else in the restaurant, and Rob immediately got up and took a picture with the guy.  You couldn't imagine a more humble and laid-back guy (although he obviously wasn't happy about the litigation and wasn't thrilled that it was drawing focus away from the ongoing work on Redeemer of Souls).  He signed my tourbook from the Defenders show (my second concert ever), and I saved a couple emails he sent us as the case was wrapping up.  Super nice guy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1131 on: December 05, 2022, 12:44:31 PM »
Are Glenn and Jayne married?  I thought I read that somewhere.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1132 on: December 05, 2022, 12:57:12 PM »

I googled "Glenn Tipton Jayne Andrews" and found one article that described that as a "wild rumour."  I had heard that they had a relationship, but I have no idea.  However, just to be clear, while Tipton, Hill, Andrews and Curbishley were named in the lawsuit, they were not a significant part.  We filed motions to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction for all of the defendants except Halford and his entities.  The court kept pushing a decision on those motions, and we settled before it ever became necessary to rule on them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1133 on: December 05, 2022, 01:15:11 PM »
No idea you represented Rob at some point. That's pretty bad ass!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: December 05, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »
Would make for an interesting ‘Jeopardy’ answer and question 😉

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1135 on: December 05, 2022, 01:29:27 PM »

I googled "Glenn Tipton Jayne Andrews" and found one article that described that as a "wild rumour."  I had heard that they had a relationship, but I have no idea.  However, just to be clear, while Tipton, Hill, Andrews and Curbishley were named in the lawsuit, they were not a significant part.  We filed motions to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction for all of the defendants except Halford and his entities.  The court kept pushing a decision on those motions, and we settled before it ever became necessary to rule on them.

So although the judge had one idea, he/she ultimately had another thing coming.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1136 on: December 05, 2022, 01:35:21 PM »

Heads would have rolled.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1137 on: December 05, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
I didn’t rank Geddy or Ray. I’m a Rush fan in spite of Geddy’s voice. The only time his vocals sounded passable to me was in the 80s. I do enjoy Ray’s voice, but it’s not top 25 worthy for me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: December 05, 2022, 01:52:42 PM »
I'm starting to wonder where JLB gets ranked. I figured he'd be on the list for sure given the audience (he made my list), but I don't really think most will have had him at #1, but probably enough votes all together to get a high ranking. I've got to imagine, a certain someone cough Bruce Dickinson cough is the likely #1 since he's not on the list yet and based on discussions here, is the singer of one of the most popular bands on this forum. I ranked this person my #2.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1139 on: December 05, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »
I'm starting to wonder where JLB gets ranked. I figured he'd be on the list for sure given the audience (he made my list), but I don't really think most will have had him at #1, but probably enough votes all together to get a high ranking. I've got to imagine, a certain someone cough Bruce Dickinson cough is the likely #1 since he's not on the list yet and based on discussions here, is the singer of one of the most popular bands on this forum. I ranked this person my #2.

He’ll probably be pretty high due to being on a lot of people’s top 10-15. Not mine, but I imagine he’s on there for a lot of people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1140 on: December 05, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »

I'm guessing at this point that I'll have at least four of the remaining eight on my list (including the two you mentioned by name).  Not really sure about anyone beyond those, but this is a bit of a crap shoot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: December 05, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »

He’ll probably be pretty high due to being on a lot of people’s top 10-15. Not mine, but I imagine he’s on there for a lot of people.

Yup, #14 for me.  Hard not to include him and I imagine a lot here feel the same way.

Offline Animal

« Reply #1142 on: December 05, 2022, 02:00:03 PM »
10.  Geddy Lee   #10   Nailed it!  Thought he'd end up Top Five here, and surprised he was only on twelve lists....

It is the opposite for me.I knew Rush were well-liked around here but I thought Geddy was seen more as "not a great singing voice but does the job" type of singer, even by Rush fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1143 on: December 05, 2022, 02:05:48 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I always thought Geddy's vocals were integral to their sound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: December 05, 2022, 02:18:21 PM »

Heads would have rolled.

Enough so that a painkiller would be needed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1145 on: December 05, 2022, 02:19:31 PM »
I'll predict #6 for JLB... He'll definitely be behind the likes of Tate, Dickenson, Dio and Mercury I'd gather

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: December 05, 2022, 02:21:01 PM »
re: JLB

I didn't rank James. To be honest, he's fallen way off my list in the last decade or so. As much as I respect the hell out of JLB, I just don't enjoy listening to him sing live any longer, and his recording "prime" for me, was in the 1990s. Specifically I&W, Awake, ACOS and SFAM. (I love FII, but it's not one of JLB's best singing performances.)

I'm sure not ranking him is not cool at this forum. But if I had to guess, I'd say he'd be...in the high 30s for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1147 on: December 05, 2022, 02:21:21 PM »
I'll predict #6 for JLB... He'll definitely be behind the likes of Tate, Dickenson, Dio and Mercury I'd gather

No Spotlighting!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1148 on: December 05, 2022, 02:26:42 PM »
re: JLB

I didn't rank James. To be honest, he's fallen way off my list in the last decade or so. As much as I respect the hell out of JLB, I just don't enjoy listening to him sing live any longer, and his recording "prime" for me, was in the 1990s. Specifically I&W, Awake, ACOS and SFAM. (I love FII, but it's not one of JLB's best singing performances.)

I'm sure not ranking him is not cool at this forum. But if I had to guess, I'd say he'd be...in the high 30s for me.

I didn't either, but I'd gather enough of the forum has to put him in a fairly high spot. I'd be genuinely flabbergasted if he isn't.

No Spotlighting!!

Whatever.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1149 on: December 05, 2022, 02:27:19 PM »

No Spotlighting!!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1150 on: December 05, 2022, 02:31:23 PM »
 :heart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1151 on: December 05, 2022, 02:37:58 PM »
I didn't rank JLB either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1152 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
Geddy Lee - Just made my list at 24. Kind of had to be there because of how much I love Rush.

Ray Alder - just missed the cut. I guess I am a bit surprised to see Ray so high but maybe I shouldn't be.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: December 05, 2022, 02:46:54 PM »

I went with my favorite singers in their prime, Ian Anderson being one, and Kevin Cronin another, both who I was confident would not make the DTF list.  They became quite bad/horrid afterwards, but I chose not to think of those eras.  I'm certain that there is one singer coming up that falls into that same category (along with 'questionable' personality traits ;))....not to spotlight ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1154 on: December 05, 2022, 02:49:54 PM »

No Spotlighting!!

Whatever.

No Spotlighting!!

:heart

WOW!

That's Kev's rule, jeesh. Have some damn respect for the guy that worked hard to put this thing together. WTF??