Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 22613 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: City Burials (2020)
« Reply #490 on: November 12, 2023, 04:45:01 PM »
TAC - you still have this one to do (and only one more after.)

I'll comment more on your posts Litho maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #491 on: November 12, 2023, 04:58:07 PM »
Cool, I'm pretty close to posting the writeup for SVoS too, so we'll be kicking off the home stretch soon. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: November 12, 2023, 06:15:24 PM »
TAC - you still have this one to do (and only one more after.)

Thank God!

Ok here goes:

Heart Set To Divide
The beginning was tough, but it picks up, er...but then settles into another drab verse. But this song does have a fair bit of pace in spots.

Behind The Blood
They seem to be flexing a bit more as we go along. This is like an actual song by a decent band.

Lacquer
Err...next!

Rein
I don't know how I feel about this one. There's some potential here.

The Winter Of Our Passing
This is musically awesome. Not sure about the vocals, but I feel like some tasteful harsh vocals over parts of this would've been cool.

Vanishers
Er...next!

City Glaciers
This is a Katatonia song.

Flicker
I like the guitar/keyboard solo section.

Lachesis
Nope!

Neon Epitaph
I don't know. It's missing something.

Untrodden
I think this song in a vacuum is pretty good.

Fighters
Another decent song, maybe one of the better in the thread.

Not that I completely remember the other albums I've heard in this thread, but I feel like they're coming to be more to the point. Losing the total drabness and kicking the music up a notch.

And Lethean, you owe me big time. I'll let you know how you can repay me after the next album. Don't worry, it'll be a labor of love for you. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #493 on: November 12, 2023, 06:19:38 PM »
I know.  I'll buy your ticket next time I'm in MA for a Katatonia show. :)  Too bad I couldn't make the show this year.  Hopefully next time.

Dude... Lacquer is so awesome. 

So is Neon Epitaph, but I think I needed more than one listen to come to that conclusion.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #494 on: November 12, 2023, 06:22:23 PM »
Speaking of owing people things, I don't think you've sent me an Alice Cooper playlist yet.  At some point in the near future I'm going to do some post-roulette updates, and I can make that part of them. 

Behind The Blood...This is like an actual song by a decent band.

Beautiful.  Almost tempted to sig this.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2023, 06:28:19 PM »
Speaking of owing people things, I don't think you've sent me an Alice Cooper playlist yet.  At some point in the near future I'm going to do some post-roulette updates, and I can make that part of them. 

I have a playlist ready to go taking him through the 70's. Not because I think it's better or anything like that, but I believe in chronological experiences with large discographies.
I just need to write up some accompanying text to go along with it. I'll do that this week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #496 on: November 15, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »
I feel like an idiot.  Their cover of "Fighters" from Enter the Hunt is because Krister Linder is the vocalist of that band, who was the guest on "Departer" on Night Is the New Day.  Doh!  In my defense, that's my least favorite song on NITND. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: November 15, 2023, 10:05:02 AM »
I feel like an idiot.  Their cover of "Fighters" from Enter the Hunt is because Krister Linder is the vocalist of that band, who was the guest on "Departer" on Night Is the New Day.  Doh!  In my defense, that's my least favorite song on NITND.

Yeah, I was gonna say...  :neverusethis:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #498 on: November 15, 2023, 10:35:11 AM »
Well it's a good thing I covered this album. :P I think it's easier to miss stuff if you're not getting a physical copy - I think I heard that Fighters was on Spotify but not Closing of the Sky

Though I probably should have mentioned Krister Linder in my write up.  I love Departer, but not because of him.  His vocals are perfectly fine and I know Jonas is a fan of his and it sounds quite nice to have the contrast.  But.  I at least wish Jonas had another verse or something at the end. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:49:29 AM by Lethean »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #499 on: November 15, 2023, 11:42:28 AM »
Well, I'm not really doing much extra research for the albums I'm not handling, so I'm relying on what I remember and what you write.  :p 

I'm looking over their more recent releases and I think between putting the thread on hiatus last winter and restarting it this fall we missed talking about the Viva Emptiness 10th anniversary edition.  I think it's worth listening to it and the original and noting some differences.  I might tack it onto my material for SVoS and the surrounding releases, since the cover art has a mildly cool story to it. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Ej2wlQwy5c6jTH5DmuDDg

Not sure we got to the The Great Cold Distance live in Bulgaria release either. 

Plus, I don't believe we mentioned Kocytean and Proscenium.  They're just compilations, so it's not a huge deal, but I might just add their covers too with everything else for the sake of completion and since the artwork is nice. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #500 on: November 15, 2023, 12:25:18 PM »
I included The Great Cold Distance live with The Fall of Hearts.  But I do need to check for guest appearances - I think there are some during that time that I missed.  Korda was last year - did you want to mention that, or I can.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #501 on: November 15, 2023, 02:11:21 PM »
Yeah, we're kind of being selective so far about guest appearances and side projects it seems.  Liljekvist and Moilanen have both had quite a few of them for example, and I haven't even heard all of them yet.  Everyone else has something or another as well.  Despite not being into electronic music, you might actually know more about Korda than me, so you can mention more about them if you want.  There's also stuff like his work with Bruce Soord that I don't think we've mentioned that I can remember. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #502 on: November 15, 2023, 02:28:52 PM »
TAC might commit suicide if we tried to get him to listen to Wisdom of Crowds. :)

And yes - I've only really included information about other stuff that Jonas or Anders has done.  They're the core of the band, and there's been too many other members to open that can of worms I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2023, 02:29:42 PM »
TAC might commit suicide if we tried to get him to listen to Wisdom of Crowds. :)

You promised just one more album! :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2023, 04:13:42 PM »
So let's get these out of the way while I listen and do comparisons on the revamped Viva Emptiness release and tidy up everything on Sky Void of Stars

Kocytean
compilation

Released April 19, 2014 on Peaceville Records. 

Side A

1.  Unfurl    04:52
2.  Sold Heart    04:32
3.  Ashen    04:09

Side B

4.  Second    03:33
5.  Code Against the Code    03:34
6.  The Act of Darkening    05:55

Total runtime:     26:35

A compilation of B-sides over the prior decade.  Nothing new or essential if you're been keeping up, but it's nice to have these compiled together. 

---

Proscenium
live compilation

Released April 17, 2017.

Side A

1.  Last Song Before the Fade    05:00
2.  Serein    04:45

Side B

3.  Old Heart Falls    04:21
4.  Journey Through Pressure    04:16

Total runtime:     18:22

A compilation of a few live tracks from The Great Cold Distance (Live in Bulgaria with the Orchestra of State Opera - Plovdiv)

---

Mnemosynean
compilation

Released October 1, 2021

1.1.  Vakaren                   4:54
1.2.  Sistere                   4:11
1.3.  Wide Awake in Quietus             4:59
1.4.  Night Comes Down                4:14
1.5.  Second                   3:32
1.6.  The Act of Darkening             5:52
1.7.  Ashen                   4:06
1.8.  Sold Heart                4:32
1.9.  Displaced                5:14
1.10.  Dissolving Bonds             3:41
1.11.  Unfurl                   4:48
1.12.  Code Against the Code             3:28

2.1.  Wait Outside                3:38
2.2.  Sulfur                   6:22
2.3.  March 4                   3:51
2.4.  O How I Enjoy the Light             2:44
2.5.  Help Me Disappear             5:13
2.6.  Fractured                5:52
2.7.  No Devotion                4:48
2.8.  Quiet World                4:39
2.9.  Scarlet Heavens                10:27
2.10.  In the White (Urban Dub)          5:25
2.11.  My Twin (Opium Dub Version)          4:15
2.12.  Soil's Song (Krister Linder 2012 Remix)       4:40
2.13.  Day and Then the Shade (Frank Default Remix)    5:40
2.14.  Idle Blood (Linje 14)             3:23
2.15.  Hypnone (Frank Default Hypnocadence Mix)    4:46

Total runtime:  129:14

This is a compilation of all of their non-album tracks, special edition bonus tracks, remixes and such. 

---

Melancholium
box set compilation

Released March 20, 2022. 

1.  A Sunset Choir for the Daylight Harvest     09:54
2.  Jhva Elohim Meth              17:11
3.  Dance of December Souls           53:26
4.  For Funerals to Come...           44:28
5.  Brave Murder Day              41:12
6.  Sounds of Decay              18:37

Recall that one of Katatonia's first names before settling on "Katatonia", was "Melancholium".  Still quite a fitting name.  This is a box set of their earlier material in the extreme metal days, including the first two albums, first three EPs, and rerecordings of some early demos, which I'll talk about separately a bit later for the individual release of them. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2023, 05:30:07 PM »
Also, someone a few days ago asked me in deepcut.fm what the deal with Katatonia featuring birds as part of their imagery was.  I couldn't remember anything in particular offhand, but did a quick Google, and this question came up in a '16 Billboard interview with Anders.

"Q:  Artist Travis Smith has worked with Katatonia a long time to create your visuals and album covers. Almost all your albums feature either birds or winged imagery. What’s the meaning behind that reoccurring symbolism?

A:  We’ve been enjoying the whole symbolism referring to birds since the start. The bird in general, for us in particular, we’re referring to the crow or the raven, which is a very common bird up here in Scandinavia. I have it all around me all the time. I feel drawn to it. I feel like it’s related to me somehow. It’s such a fascinating entity. It’s a very beautiful entity, it’s mysterious, and I don’t see another creature that can represent freedom as much as a bird. In this case it also represents of course death as well and this is a topic that we’ve been dealing with since day one, so the bird has become synonymous with Katatonia, to the point where we even had to put it into our logo."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2023, 07:55:59 PM »
I just figured the band was for the birds..  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
Recall that one of Katatonia's first names before settling on "Katatonia", was "Melancholium".  Still quite a fitting name.

Melancholium? Really? :lol

I reckon that would've been a little too on the nose. I don't see any power metal bands named Cheesium out there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #509 on: November 15, 2023, 09:09:07 PM »
"Catatonia" is kind of on the nose too, especially when you spell it with a "K".  We're just used to it by now.

I mean, how dumb is a name like "Metallica"?  :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 09:21:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2023, 09:19:27 PM »
Dunno, I feel like the "um"-ending doesn't do it for me. It would be more stupid if it was Katatonium or like Catatonica. :lol Same reason I dislike Avatarium's band name. I think the only one that I know that works is Omnium Gatherum.

Maybe you're right though.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2023, 09:24:13 PM »
All kinds of geological metals and chemicals end in "ium", so it would have been fine for a metal band I think. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2023, 09:27:54 PM »
All kinds of geological metals and chemicals end in "ium", so it would have been fine for a metal band I think.

They don't in my language, perhaps that's why it sounds kinda pretentious to me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2023, 09:30:41 PM »
Oh, interesting, I hadn't even thought of that angle. 

Waiting for TAC to name them "Valium".   ;D

Offline Lethean

« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »
Also, speaking of The Winter of Our Passing...the drumming, too, is so cool on that one. Moilanen has a way of throwing you off just a bit with the snare hits on the verses...then I love his pattern going into the chorus (when Jonas sings To get higher I have to go so low). The song is not complex at all, and yet there are great little touches everywhere.
Listening to the album now with everyone's comments and I really agree with this.  Also, I really like towards the beginning with the second, lower volume "I navigate the dark" with the drumming over that.  And definitely your last sentence.  I think the song really makes and impact.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #515 on: November 16, 2023, 07:30:52 PM »
The production on this record is top notch.  Special shout out to the bass on this record.  The bass sounds especially solid on City Burials.  I love the cover art on this one, and I'd rank it 3rd, behind Tonight's Decision and NITND, as my favorite cover art from the band.
I don't really care too much about production, but I have noticed that people seem to like Katatonia's production in general.  I read positive comments about it, and almost never see a complaint.  It doesn't mean there aren't any, but it's refreshing.  It seems as though people spend/spent more time complaining about the production of a new DT or Rush album than they did talking about the songs.

I don't think anything is wrong with the cover but I like their other ones more.

Behind the Blood was clearly the song that I gravitated to first.  Roger brings the killer, shreddy leads to this dark banger that has some classic metallic riffing.  I love how Heart Set to Divide opens with vocals and eventually the guitars come in with that awesome descending main riff.  Lacquer ups the electronics, and has a great vocal from Jonas.  This song definitely grew on me over time.  "Dreamlike" is a great description for it.  Winter of Our Passing definitely has traditional first single feeling to it, and I definitely agree on the Dead End Kings vibes.  It's a solid, shorter, and melodic Katationia track.  I think City Glaciers is my favorite thing here.  I love the atmospheric, post-rock vibe of this track.  I especially love how everything drops out, but the keys and ambience for the 2nd part of the 1st verse, until everything comes crashing back in for the chorus.  Flicker is another highlight, and I especially love the delay and reverb drenched guitar solo in the back half of the song.  Right after that is a neat synth solo as well.  These fit the vibe of that song perfectly.  I think Lachesis as an interlude that breaks up Flicker and Neon Epitaph works well.  Neon Epitaph brings some of that Tool-y groove that they employ, and is another great track.  Untrodden closes out the album solidly as well.  I love the instrumental part of the 2nd verse.  The drums and bass lock in with that clean delay guitar lick on top.  Roger shines with a nice melodic lead.  Closing of the Sky is another solid bonus track that could make the album proper.
It's interesting - for me, Lacquer and Behind the Blood were the reverse experience from yours.  Lacquer was the song I loved instantly and Behind the Blood had to grow on me a little. 

City Glaciers is really special.  I actually feel like City Glaciers to the end of the album is this extra level of awesomeness.  Which doesn't quite make sense even to myself because the first half is really awesome too. :)

This whole album is just one great listening experience.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
City Burials Opening Thoughts, Standout Tracks & Singles:

*As usual, I wrote all this without reading the other album-specific comments.  I'll read through those later and comment if needed. 

*City Burials came out at a really weird time.  It was a month into the pandemic, and nothing felt right in the world.  Nothing.  I had retreated back into the online space (kind of still there, really), and while I gave it a listen and casually liked it, I wasn't in the mood for it at all for a few months.
For me it was one of the highlights of that time.  I remember an interview where they said the label had offered to delay the release (I guess when people assumed it wouldn't be quite as long as it was), and they decided against it and one of the reasons was that people might be looking to their music to help them through. (That's a total paraphrase - I don't really remember the wording).  I'm glad they didn't push it back, and I'm glad they realize that their music is like that for some people.

Do you think you'll be making it out to a Katatonia show this tour?

*Early in '21, with the pressure of year-end lists over, I was able to relax a bit more and appreciate it more than before.  In particular, "Heart Set To Divide", which had already been the standout track for me, became kind of an obsession, and it has become one of my favorite songs of theirs.  It has one of their most atmospheric intros (I love those chords ringing out at 1:08), and at 1:40 might be my favorite riff they've ever written.  Overall it just sums up so well a lot of the vibe I like about them, how they can so effortlessly synthesize heaviness and subtle complexity, all while oozing ambiance.
I just want to quote this because it's spot on - about Heart Set to Divide and in general.  The timestamps you listed are such great moments.

*Like Night Is the New Day, this is another album of theirs essentially just written by Jonas.  And it still sounds like them.  I'm kind of curious at this point how an album by them solely written by Anders would sound.  Potentially quite different given earlier projects of his like Diabolical Masquerade. 
I know I brought up Diabolical Masquerade earlier in the thread, but I just want to reiterate how much I like Death's Design.  It's weird but awesome.  I think some of the early Katatonia albums would give us an idea of an Anders-only album back then, since he did the majority of the songwriting.  But I'm sure Jonas was still coming up with the (majority of the) vocal melodies, so it's not quite the same.

Vocals:

*Lacquer" to me is Jonas' greatest vocal performance he's ever done.  3:19 on "the house we lived in" I think is the highest note I've heard him hit.  He is not normally the sort of vocalist you listen to in order to hear an enormous range of notes and techniques - it's more about the vibe, and for me the contrast of how calm his voice is over the heavier riffs, but the melodies and nuance on this song are unusually dexterous for him.  I also love the vocal doubling he does in the second verse an octave below the main melody.  And then he adds a higher harmony on top of that.  Plus, at 2:36 the backing vocals are adding some independent lines as well.  I think Jonas' vocal harmonies and layering in general are a quite underrated and underdiscussed part of their sound. 
Yes, yes, and yes some more.  I think Lacquer is the stand out, but the whole album is full of great vocals.  In an interview he mentioned how hard he worked on them and he thought they were better than ever (if I recall correctly) and he hoped the listener agreed. I agree with you on the layering as well; I think Jonas' melodies can be quite unusual/unique and so the first few times I hear a new song or album, I'm probably just focused on that as far as the vocals go.  Then as I get more familiar with it, I started noticing the different layers and little details more consciously.

*"Vanishers" is probably the song that has grown on me the most while going through the process of writing this.  Prior to Lethean starting this thread it was just another good song of theirs that didn't especially stand out - other than being kind of a sequel to "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" from Dead End Kings, which had the duet with Silje Wergeland from The Gathering and Octavia Sperati.  That's still the superior song, but this one really has come alive now because I'm more accustomed to guest Anni Bernhard's vocals.  I'd never gotten around to checking out her band Full of Keys before, and Lethean managed to sneak them into a round of my roulette.  After the round I listened to all their albums, so I now have a much greater appreciation for this song. 
Trying to sneak Katatonia connections into your roulette was a lot of fun. :) You have now heard way more Full of Keys than me. :) I'm glad it helped with this song though - that was a nice unintended side effect. :)

*There's no credit for it, but I'm wondering if Anni is also doing some of the high harmonies on "City Glaciers" uncredited.  Some of them don't sound like Jonas. 
I think it's him.  I don't have any evidence for this, but I think it's all just him except for Vanishers.

*snipped but read (and listened along with) timestamps and general instrument comments*

*Overall, still to this day, this is possibly my least-listened album of theirs other than Dance of December Souls.  Going through this process is definitely going to start evening that disparity out a bit now. 
Good. :)

*I'll probably wait 'til after I do Sky Void of Stars, but I'm not sure this album is going to budge in its position in their discography for me yet.  Part of that is what's not on the album rather than what's on it.  Arguably smaller, subtle things, but the lack of acoustic guitar, percussion, and less of Anders' musical input in the writing process might hold it back a bit.
Here's where I think you shouldn't focus so much on what's not on the album.  Maybe those elements were perfect for other albums, but don't quite fit with what they wanted for this one.  But there are “added” things too - the bass being more prominent/sounding better as Bill and you both mentioned.  Jonas going the extra mile and then some on the vocals.  And the songs are just so so good. It's nice to have it all in their discography.

*I meant to note that I view "Lacquer" as kind of an equivalent of Opeth's "Hours of Wealth" for me.  It's my favorite vocal performance of both of theirs.  People would say things like Åkerfeldt keeps improving his vocals album after album, and it's possible on the whole for that to be accurate, but that specific song has never been topped for me.  Whereas with Jonas, since "Lacquer" comes relatively later in their career, I'm skeptical that he'll be able to do so given that most vocalists start declining more rapidly at some point, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. 
I didn't need him to improve at all from The Fall of Hearts (or really anything in over a decade).  I love his voice and everything he's done with it and I haven't been even thinking about needing him to do anything else.  But then he did and the result is fantastic.  And I think shows that he's still all in and loves what he's doing. He might not continue to improve as far as hitting even higher notes, and whether he does or doesn't is fine with me.  But I feel like he'll be working to give the best performance he can.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #517 on: December 10, 2023, 05:52:10 PM »
 :corn

While we're waiting for Litho to post about the last album, let me just urge everyone to listen to City Burials a few more times.  Just listened to it Thursday, and yesterday, and will probably listen to it soon, and it's just awesome.

(Litho, I'll post about Wisdom of Crowds and Korda this week if I can.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: December 10, 2023, 05:57:34 PM »
You mean we're not done??

Offline Lethean

« Reply #519 on: December 10, 2023, 06:00:58 PM »
I know how relieved you must be. :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #520 on: December 10, 2023, 10:36:16 PM »
Yeah, I probably needed this prod.  Too many other distractions lately, but I'll try and finish up my earlier draft in the new few days. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #521 on: December 27, 2023, 09:24:03 AM »
Just a quick post about some side projects while we're waiting for the last album (no rush Litho; I haven't gotten my thoughts or lyric selections together yet either). 

I'm not writing a big thing about them, just some thoughts and letting people know they're out there.

Wisdom of Crowds (2013) - I've seen this labeled as Wisdom of Crowds as both the artist and album name, or just the album name and Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse as the artist.  So I guess take your pick.  I think the live shows they did were billed as Wisdom of Crowds, and that's how I think of it.  Anyway, this album was completely written by Bruce Soord (from The Pineapple Thief) and then Jonas was brought in to do the vocals.  I'm not sure what genre you'd call it; electronic/alternative something maybe?  I like it.  Not as much as Korda which is up next, but it's dark and bleak and Jonas' vocals work perfectly for it. 

Korda - an electronic project from Jonas, Anders Eriksson (Frank Default who added keyboards to some of Katatonia’s albums), and Joakim Karlsson (guitar player from a black metal band called Craft).  They've released 4 songs that they worked on when they had time during the pandemic (Scialia, Chrome Eyes, Lucent, and Chaser).  I think they plan on continuing to write songs as they have time, but I don't know if they'll release a full album.  I like these songs a *lot.*  Especially Lucent, which has my favorite lyrics of the bunch. 

I saw your dust in the airspace
I saw your shadow fall on the runway
I saw your mindset change
In the blink of an eye

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #522 on: December 30, 2023, 07:33:53 AM »
Just a quick note that I definitely haven't forgotten about it, but anytime I think I have a block of time to work on it something holiday-related comes up, or Chad drops hangman, and at this point I want to finish off my '23 list, still have a number of albums to get through.  So I'll pick this back up shortly after new year's. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #523 on: January 14, 2024, 02:04:47 PM »
Ok, Sky Void of Stars is just about ready, but in the meantime I wanted to go over some thoughts on the update of Viva Emptiness that we missed discussing.  We'll get to SVoS in a few days after we see if there's any discussion on this next one. 

Viva Emptiness 10th Anniversary Anti-Utopian MMXIII Edition:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5Ej2wlQwy5c6jTH5DmuDDg

Tracklist:

1. Ghost of the Sun             04:07     
2. Sleeper           
          04:08     
3. Criminals           
        03:47     
4. A Premonition         
       03:33     
5. Will I Arrive         
       04:09     
6. Burn the Remembrance   
      05:22     
7. Wealth                 
      04:22
8. One Year from Now     
      04:02     
9. Walking by a Wire     
      03:32     
10. Complicity       
           04:01     
11. Evidence                    04:36     
12. Omerta                      02:58     
*13. Wait Outside               03:39     
14. Inside the City of Glass    05:35     

Total runtime:                  57:51

Production/Background Info:

*Keyboard rerecording June-July 2013 at The City of Glass in Stockholm.

*Vocals for "Inside the City of Glass" recorded July 2013 at The City of Glass, Stockholm. 

*Remixing was done July-August 2013 at Ghost Ward in Stockholm by David Castillo.

*Remastering was done August 2013 at Cutting Room in Stockholm by David Castillo. 

*Since Viva Emptiness was the first album Katatonia had recorded largely by themselves and they were less experienced, they didn't have much time to finish it like they wanted to.  Jens Bogren, who had originally mixed it, was fairly new on the scene at the time, and overall they had felt dissatisified with the final production, really the only time they'd felt this way when completing an album, and this bugged them for years afterwards. 

*So all of the songs were remixed, remastered, and the keyboard arrangements were updated and expanded quite a bit, attempting to more closely approximate their sound in the Dead End Kings era. 

*"Inside the City of Glass", which was not entirely finished in the initial sessions and was almost entirely instrumental, is now completed, and a minute and a half longer, with proper vocal lines and lyrics. 

*"Wait Outside" was originally a bonus track recorded during the same recordings sessions as VE, but not actually released until the 2005 compilation, The Black Sessions

*By the time of updating the album they had already been using new and expanded backing tracks for "Omerta" and "Wait Outside" when they played them live, so they added them to this revision of the album. 

*I don't recall running across this when we covered VE and The Great Cold Distance originally, but apparently "Consternation" was initially recorded during the VE sessions as well, and then later rerecorded for proper release on TGCD in 2006.  I can't seem to find a recording of the early version of it though, so I'm not sure if it was somehow lost or still remains unreleased. 

*The artwork/photo on the cover, redone by Travis Smith, is of his daughter, who was 4 at the time of the original, but is obviously now a decade older on the revision, so having the same girl provided continuity. 

Overall listening Notes:

*I had listened to this version a few times in the past, but I still usually went back to the original when I was in the mood for this album, and hadn't really done a direct comparison of them before.

*My methodology was to go track-by-track, listen to the original again to refresh my memory, then right afterwards listen to the updated version, and then sometimes go back and forth listening to snippets for particularly salient details and differences. 

*It is clearly a different mix from the original.  I remember Nevermore's Enemies of Reality being considered a botched mix from Kelly Grey by everyone from the band to fans, to the point that Andy Sneap redid as much of it as he could a couple years later and most comments I recall seeing online at the time and since then consider it a massive improvement.  I don't think this is the case here quite as much.  On the whole it might be an upgrade, though there are upsides and downsides in relation to specific aspects that I'll get into.  Overall I don't think it quite brings the production level to that of the next few albums for me. 

*The rhythm guitars sound largely the same to me, but everything else has changed a bit.  To the extent that the rhythm guitars do sound different at times, I attribute it more to the next point. 

*There is more sub-bass in the mix now, which does make everything feel a bit heavier.  I've always felt the rhythm guitars felt a bit thin, ratty, and fizzy in the mids in comparison to their later albums, so it ameliorates that slightly. 

*It sounds like they did a lot of sound replacement on the drums, particularly the snare, which is less ringy now and not quite as distinct to my ears.  To me it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade, and while maybe they sounded slightly more modern at the time, they also strike me as a bit more of a generic metal sound. 

*The stereo panning on many elements is different and generally wider, which gives a different sound to them.  On the plus side, this makes the whole album sound a bit larger, richer, and more open.  And I think it often makes Jonas' backing vocals stand out more - it was easier to pick out harmonies in this version than the original in side-by-side comparisons. 

*In general I enjoy the extra keyboard presence, it adds a fit more fullness and dimension to the songs.  There a few caveats though. 

*There are certain times where keyboards are added to a particular section where the guitars were the primary texture of interest.  I'm on the fence about some of these.  Sometimes I might like these new keyboard parts on their own, but in the context of the whole mix and my listening history with the album, it can get a bit more complicated.  It might just be a consequence of having heard these songs dozens and dozens of times over the years and being accustomed to them sounding a particular way.  At times I feel like the new keyboards obscure what the guitars are doing, and I'm unsure if I'd get used to those or if they'd bug me, given that it's now sometimes more difficult to hear the guitar part (of course, I can always just go back to the original recording if I want). 

*It's probably a bit like a lesser version of the scenario with 80s Rush, where for people who really liked Lifeson's style in the 70s, they felt it changed too much and was overwhelmed by all the synthesizers they added.  I also suppose this might be a bit like the situation with George Lucas updating the original Star Wars trilogy, where sometimes addition can be subtraction.  Though unlike Lucas, I don't see Katatonia actively attempting to suppress and erase the originals, so you can listen to whichever version you like. 

More specific examples and thoughts:

*One example is the mellower middle portion of "Sleeper" around 2:42, where the new string parts bury the original sustained guitar lines a bit.  I'm a bit iffy on spots like this.  In that particular example I think I could get used to it more, since at least the guitar line is more unobstructed for the first time through, so it gradually builds and feels more additive. 

*There are a few sections where the original part is just gone entirely, either mixed to inaudibility, or perhaps the stem removed entirely from the mix and replaced with something else.  In general I don't like these moments when I noticed them.  The ending of "A Premonition" is one, where several of the original layers and motifs seem to be excised entirely in favor of new ones.  It could be another case where maybe I could get used to the change, and thank goodness I still have the original, but at the moment I don't regard this passage as a change for the better. 

*The new, wider mix and various tweaks give Jonas' vocals a different feel particularly in some of the mellower sections.  For example, in the verses of "Criminal", he sounds a bit more distant, with what sounds like more doubling and extra reverb over the original.  I listen to a lot of dream pop and ethereal wave and such where this more washed-out sound is more common, so I'm quite used to it.  I don't think it's as effective in all scenarios though. 

*For example, particularly in the opening of "Omerta", the directness, relative simplicity, and intimacy of the original I felt was one of its strengths and made it one of the more unique Katatonia songs.  The new mix makes it lose some of that feel.  It also doesn't cut off as suddenly as the original did, with a half-second reverb trail.  The unexpected jarring nature of the original was one of the things I looked foward to, so it diminishes that effect a bit. 

*The opening of Wealth" is an example of how the difference in panning seems to affect things.  It has the mixing trick of starting with the rhythm guitar in one ear, then in both ears, and then with the whole band, which is a time-honored way to quickly build some anticipation and energy.  But in comparison to the original, the opening left guitar is panned slightly more to the center than the original hard-panning.  Without the stems or a professional audio engineer's opinion it's hard to say if that's what's going on for the whole album, but the less stark contrast in this opening makes the new version slightly weaker at that building technique in my opinion.  On the other hand, the guitar tapping in the verse to me sounds better with the newer mix, with more ambiance. 

*The piano line for the opening of "One Year From Now" has been redone.  I like the new line, but I miss the original as well.  I'd have preferred if they found a way to somehow incorporate both, either as some kind of counterpoint, a slight restructuring to showcase both, perhaps alternating them as a round, or something to that effect.  "A Premonition" has the early keyboard line replaced with piano, but I also wish they could have kept the mellow keyboard sound as well, since I liked the texture of it. 

*Sometimes there aren't new parts per se, but the difference in mixing emphasizes certain layers more.  For example, in "Complicity" at 3:21 the piano line (playing the same part but with a different timbre than the original) is more in the forefront now compared to the guitar like it was in the original.  A section like this actually works better for me, though I could see some disagreeing.  I think I prefer the more muffled tone for the piano on the original for the opening and main riff though. 

*"Inside the City of Glass" is easily the song that I find benefits the most from the changes on this version.  In addition to now having vocals as originally intended and being longer, the mix I think benefits the track, since it's one of their most doomy ones since generally veering a bit away from that style starting in the late 90s.  It sounds weightier and more spacious.  My only complaint there is that I did kind of enjoy the spooky whispers in the original verse, which were the only vocals on it, and would have preferred if they kept those in, making the verse longer, but now having more of a build to it.   

*I suppose some people liked the idea of "Inside the City of Glass" being one of the relatively few instrumental songs Katatonia has done, but again, the original version still exists if you want that. 

Extra Notes:

*Of course, this also gives me additional opportunity to notice things that I didn't in the first time we covered the album, with later albums more freshly in mind.  In particular, I made note of some of the slide guitars on City Burials, but clearly they'd been used before, such as in the section at 2:08 in "One Year From Now". 

*I reread my initial post on this album from the first time around and I don't think I mentioned the choir voice patch on "Inside the City of Glass".  It can be a cliché sound, but I like it on this track. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 05:44:28 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #524 on: January 17, 2024, 04:46:21 PM »
One housekeeping note - we glossed over "Wide Awake In Quietus" (a bonus track from The Fall of Hearts) having a guest guitar solo from Greg Mackintosh of Paradise Lost. 

---

---

Atrium
single:

Released October 25, 2022.

1.  Atrium     04:08   

First single released. 

---

Austerity
single:

Released December 2, 2022. 

1.  Austerity       03:41   

Second single released. 

---

Sky Void of Stars
EP:

Released December 30, 2022. 

1.  Atrium                                     4:11
2.  Austerity                                  3:43
3.  Night Comes Down                           4:20
4.  Fighters                                   3:40
5.  Forsaker (Live at Summer Breeze 2012)      4:09
6.  Liberation (Live at Summer Breeze 2012)    4:22

Total runtime: 24:25

A teaser for the new album with the first two singles, the two covers from the past two albums, and two live tracks. 

---

Birds
single:

Released January 4, 2023. 

1.  Birds     04:08

Third single released. 

---

Sky Void of Stars

Their 12th and current album, released January 20, 2023, on Napalm Records.

1.  Austerity                               03:41
2.  Colossal Shade                          04:29
3.  Opaline                                 05:00
4.  Birds                                   04:08
5.  Drab Moon                               03:59
6.  Author                                  04:17
7.  Impermanence                            05:12
8.  Sclera                                  04:45
9.  Atrium                                  04:08     
10.  No Beacon to Illuminate Our Fall       06:08
11.  Absconder (bonus track)                04:47   

Total runtime:  45:47 (50:34 with bonus track)

Anders Nyström:      Guitars
Jonas Renkse:        Vocals, lyrics, songwriting
Niklas Sandin:       Bass
Daniel Moilanen:     Drums
Roger Öjersson:      Guitars

Additional personnel:

Joel Ekelöf (of Soen):  Vocals on "Impermanence"

Production Info:

Jacob Hanen:                 mixing, mastering, drum recording
Martin Pagaard Wolff:        drum engineering
Lawrence Mackrory:           guitar and bass recording

Guitar and bass recording at The Bird's Nest in Stockholm, Sweden in spring '22. 
Vocal recording at City of Glass, Stockholdm, Sweden in spring '22. 
Mixing and mastering at Hansen Studios in Ribe, Denmark in spring '22. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/4EcfbzCtbJDk2wMwhT4D1h

Music videos:

"Atrium" music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB24-hVZ88k

"Austerity" image video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTj41rDTgBw

"Birds" music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ILWPwc4KaY

"Opaline" music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzVCJRJhow

---

Opening Notes & Thoughts:

*Anders still had writer's block (a bit concerning particularly when we get later to the section about touring), and Jonas started working on the writing of the album shortly after completing the prior album City Burials.  It was the early days of the pandemic, so what else was there to do?  It does sound like the process was still more collaborative between Jonas and Anders than Night Is the New Day and City Burials had been though.  Unlike previous albums, they didn't have a deadline to record this album. 

*Jonas dipped into some different influences for certain songs on the album than usual.  He intentionally chose a more rock/pop direction for many of the songs (though not all), intending for some more straightforward tunes that would translate well live.  You could certainly think of some of it as darker arena rock.  "Colossal Shade" is a nod to Lick It Up-era KISS.  "Opaline" is inspired by Kent.  "Birds" is a tip of the hat to recent Paradise Lost. 

*They continued to work with Jacob Hansen for the second album in a row for general production/engineering/mixing/mastering. 

*Jonas had started contributing some guitar parts on Discouraged Ones in '98, but since Roger joined in '16 after The Fall of Hearts it seems he hasn't considered it necessary on the last two albums. 

*They switched labels in '22 to the Austrian label Napalm Records, their first switch since they had signed to Peaceville Records in '98.  Napalm Records used to be a bit of a punchline among the more elitist of metalheads, but I suspect some of them have had to change their tune in more recent years as they've scooped up a great deal of quite acclaimed acts who left other labels. 

*My initial feelings hearing Sky Void of Stars were more positive than they had been for the previous two albums.  The Fall of Hearts was after my frustration with Liljekvist leaving, and City Burials was in the pandemic haze, so I felt just in the wrong state of mind to hear those when they came out.  Despite being distracted with my roulette here for a solid chunk of the year, I was much more amenable to a new album from them this time.  Consequently, I got in quite a few listens throughout the year, particularly early on and then later last year and recently to research this writeup.  It wound up being my album and song ("Opaline") of the year, which was not the case with the previous two albums in the years they were released. 

*The tracks that instantly stood out to me were "Opaline" and "Author", for reasons I'll get into more later. 

Vocals - bass - drums:

*Some aren't fond of the electronic effects on Jonas' voice at 3:00 in "Drab Moon".  I have no problem with them personally. 

*The bass continues to be a bit more audible on this album again, which is always a plus for me. 

*I'm sort of surprised that I don't have as many specific notes on Moilanen's drumming.  I enjoy it in general, particularly the greater distance we get from Liljekvist leaving, but it is curious that I don't seem to notice specific moments as highlights nearly as often. 

*One exception is the first verse of "Sclera", which has some tasty hat and rim cross-sticking. 

Guitars:

*There are some nice solos in "Austerity", "Author", "Impermanence", "No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall", and "Absconder".  Roger continues to be the perfect counterpart to Anders that I didn't even realize I needed.  His style is more technical and with dashes of blues/shred that I wouldn't have expected to work with their sound, but somehow fits in perfectly. 

*"Opaline" is intriguing in how the pre-chorus starts at 1:02 with palm-muted guitar lines, which at 1:13 open up and start ringing out to build into the chorus. 

*I love the Tool-ish riff at 1:03 in "Author". 

*They remain one of my favorite bands for guitar tones, particularly in terms of guitar effects such as the subtle modulation on the solo at 2:16 in "Absconder". 

Keyboards:

*The synthetic horns in the opening of "Opaline" are a rather unusual texture for them.  "Shifts" on The Fall of Hearts is the only other song I can recall having a similar type of sound.  This helps make it one of their more singular songs.  Normally I'm not a huge fan of keyboards trying to mimick non-keyboard instruments like strings and brass, as it often feels fake and dated, but in this instance they're just synthetic and different enough that it doesn't bother me.  I think I've said before that partially due to that and the somewhat more straightforward, almost "dance-y" nature to it, I can hear a killer synthwave-style cover version of this song in my head. 

*I enjoy the synth textures on the left that pop up occasionally in "Drab Moon".  They remind me of some of the better moments on In Flames' Soundtrack To Your Escape

*I love how they've made the electric piano such an effective riffing instrument at times.  The opening such riff in "Author" is sort of a punchier callback to "Residual" from The Fall of Hearts

*The album doesn't have as much piano as some of their other albums, but I do like the ending of "No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall" and wish it were extended a bit longer. 

*The string pizzicato-esque patch at 2:51 in "Absconder" is a rather unique and cool timbre for them. 

Additional song-specific thoughts:

*"Colossal Shade" feels like it would have fit just as well/ever better? on City Burials.  And the section at 2:29 reminds me of another song or riff of theirs, but it's completely escaping me which one it might be. 

*"Opaline" has some hand claps and shaker for percussion in spots, which is a bit uncommon for them, but further serves to give the song a unique sonic signature.  The offbeat hi-hat propelling the chorus, while a staple in some other genres, is also uncommon (perhaps even never previously used) for them, and gives it an infectious energy. 

*People sometimes complain about "Opaline"'s chorus being essentially two notes, but I consider it a testament to their creativity how they can milk so much out of them.  "Forsaker" for Night Is the New Day immediately comes to mind as another song with a note-minimalistic melody that is highly effective in spite of it.  The layers of production, instrument orchestration of parts, rhythmic variety, and mixing on "Opaline" keep evolving so it's never the same for very long.  The backing vocals also subtly shift throughout the song to give the melody a different feel.  If you listen closely at the repeat at 4:06 you can hear a whole series of countermelodies going on in the backing vocals emphasizing different harmonies, and then of course the melody variation ending the song.  I'm kind of astounded at the minutiae I still pick up on in what is a relatively simple song, possibly 100+ listens in at this point. 

"Birds" is clearly the most creative title they've ever come up with.  Why didn't they think of it earlier?  It's quite a fun change of pace though, since it's one of the highest tempo songs they've ever done.  I can't think offhand of one with a higher overall BPM, so it's still fascinating that they continue to subtly push at the edges of their sound this late into their career. 

"Initially "Impermanence" was not one of the standout songs on the album.  I liked it, but it was lost in the sea of the rest of the album.  I often pay special attention to tracks with guest spots, but I honestly can't remember if I didn't look up or had just forgotten that Joel Ekelöf was the vocalist of Soen, I certainly didn't instantly recognize him by name.  Soen is a band that I'd heard their albums and enjoyed them, but wasn't particularly familiar with in spite of Martin Lopez being one of my favorite drummers and the Tool-inspired style being one that often resonates with me. 

*So this paid dividends when Evermind sent them later in my roulette and this helped me get into them more.  In turn, this has made me pay much more attention to this track since then, and it has become of my favorites on the album.  I really like Jonas and Joel's interplay on it, which I enjoy much more than "Departer" on Night Is the New Day, which had Krister Linder from Enter The Hunt.  Perhaps at least partially because I don't know Enter The Hunt very well. 

*I also really love the guitar/keyboard-doubled line at 2:35 in "Impermanence".  I just can't shut up about "Opaline" either, with the similar one at 3:34 reprising the opening horn motif. 

*I really love how effortlessly they transition between heavy and mellower moments, arguably better than say, Opeth does.  For example, the ascending chromatic riff at 2:46 in "No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall" reminds me a bit of a heavier version Alice In Chains' "Them Bones", with the Slayer-esque whammy dive bombs on top of it and Moilanen gradually increasing the subdivisions of the bass drum hits to a frenzy (also a bit like Tool's "The Grudge").  But then it seamlessly segues into a delightful mellower section with the electric piano and pseudo-jazzy clean guitar octave lines. 

*The bonus track "Absconder" is in a relatively unusual key for them, of C#m.  They've very rarely touched that key since switching to C standard tuning on Viva Emptiness (and often drop-Bb starting with The Great Cold Distance). 

Final Miscellaneous Thoughts:

*The music video for "Opaline" in particular was heavily on my rotation.  I think somewhere in spring for a month or two I was watching it almost every night before going to sleep. 

*It's a treat to see Lawrence Mackrory (Darkane, Andromeda, Scarve) involved with the album, even if it's only in a engineering capacity. 

*I'm definitely curious about TAC's opinion on "Birds" and "Austerity", with them being some of the faster and more energetic songs they've ever done. 

Favorite Songs:  "Opaline", "Author", "Impermanence", "No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall"

---

A Sunset Choir for the Daylight Harvest

Released January 29, 2023

1.  Daylight Harvest (re-recording)    04:50
2.  Sunset Choir (re-recording)        05:09

Total runtime
:     09:59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akgmzirtahs

We've talked about this a couple times already, but more formally, this is a new rerecording of some old demos from the early 90s.  It's still definitely on the raw and murky side, but to me is certainly more listenable than the originals. 

---

Touring:

*Obviously due to the pandemic they couldn't tour for City Burials properly for awhile.  They did various scattered festivals and isolated shows in '21, more in '22, and started doing a normal North American tour for City Burials starting in November of '22. 

*The main troubling issue is that Anders hasn't been touring with them for Sky Void of Stars.  He stopped in early '23 before the album came out.  No one seems to have any solid information why, just that he's dealing with some family issues.  Often they're just playing with Roger and backing tracks for additional guitar parts, though sometimes Per Eriksson (who played on Dead End Kings) fills in.  Some are saying some of Moilanen's parts are also being piped in on the backing tracks. 

*The weird thing is that Anders has done some shows with Bloodbath in the past year, but not Katatonia.  And Jonas is no longer touring with Bloodbath.  There is all kinds of speculation online, but who knows what's really going on.  There are some US dates for Katatonia and Bloodbath just a few days apart coming up in May, which would be the best shot at more interesting developments. 

*They've been touring with The Ocean, Soen, GosT (not the more famous Tobias Forge one, it's the darksynth/horror synth act), SOM, Grivo, Sólstafir, and Cellar Darling at various points.  I have yet to check out SOM and Grivo, and have only heard a very limited amount of Sólstafir, but I quite like Cellar Darling, GosT, Soen, and The Ocean. 

*They've done a number of surprise shows where because some venues are requiring at least three bands to be on the bill, Katatonia has played the entirety of Dead End Kings under the name "Concrete Skies" as an opening act for GosT, and then closing with their normal show. 

*They noted that it used to be cheaper to tour the US than many other places, but fuel costs lately have changed that. 

*Lethean will have to chime in with any other interesting info since he's actually seen them on the current tour.