Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 23716 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: The Great Cold Distance (2006)
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2022, 08:58:52 AM »
TAC and Luke, make sure you give us your thoughts on Viva Emptiness first before moving on to The Great Cold Distance. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
Some of my favorite The Great Cold Distance lyrics for when everyone is ready:

Leaders
Carbon soul
Transparent and played out
See you soon in non-fiction.
I sold my song
My mouth was sewn
But it’s coming undone and that’s why I sold out

Come here
I’ve paid up for you
I have sold my weakness too
Come here
I split my heart in two
But you don’t have it in you
Do you

Deliberation
I am ice
I am clear
Let the world be cold
Our deliberation
Pass them on
Let it show
Let the words come slow
Your constant incantation.

See us sleep behind the glass
Unaware of crime
Will you wake us up before it is time

Repeating cycle of light / no light
There’s nothing in the airspace
There’s no one in the airspace
Repeating cycle of love / no love

Soil's Song
False
The dream is so far
Come and take the consequence
Few things are as certain
Winter state
Oppressive wait

Evacuate
Assemble here
Soil’s song
In your throat
Future death
In your reach
Who’s first
OK

Mask
Your face well hidden
Keep your last words in your hand
Fold it and open up
Time to go
Release the glow

Consternation
Wave back at me
Back is turned
If I fail once
Circuit burn

Saw you in the lampglow
You fade
Nothingness incarnate

Until I get there
Hidden I will be

Follower
So when you come
I’m too unprepared to come along
I hold your hand so hard
My knuckles turn white
When you clear the streets
And kill the lights

See the line
Border to freedom
The words
Underlined
My name
You have changed it

Rusted
A rush through the rusted veins
Illuminate the face of one
So I have a light
So unaware about the consequence

I heard no warning
About the little compromise
The distorted views you had

Cold white spring
A wordless song I sing
Eye
White cloud
All my thoughts are in doubt

Increase
Please
Rewind and look at you
As on film
You will see a mask of shame
I think you will
Perceive
Your position in life
So unworthy

Find and twist the answer
Save no one from harm
As seen in the vision
Sick sleep sick dead earth

In the White
Turning season within
Brand new nails across my skin
But who am I to imply
That I was found
That I found you in the white

To overcome this
I become one with
The quiet cold of late November
If you don’t see
I’ll remain unseen
Until there’s time to be remembered

So I had a green light
I was lost in city lights
Not so far from a try
This is not our last goodbye

So I found you
Found a way all through
The quiet cold of inner darkness
And now that you’re here
It becomes so clear
I have waited for you always

Journey Through Pressure
Pushing the will
Being alive
Well I have been
I came far
The process of trying
To act unharmed
It will fade out

Thoughts will unwind
No longer mine
They are for you
When you come
So long
I’m cutting here
And the water’s blood
When you come

The sky moves faster at this time of year

Dissolving Bonds
And here you are
So much time did you waste from times before
So shut down your sky
Bow down, lights out and die
And now you go
The cold chill cracks, a positive self-detach
Inanimate heart
Hurrying, racing forward

A destined goodbye
Bells rang out the day of your worst fear
Obscure graduation day
Left you but with memories to bear
Lost in hopelessness
Seclusion cut you just as deep as knives
Dissolving the bonds
Time was set to fade away your lives

Unfurl
At city centre 9 pm
Just like you wrote
And I try to think about
Snow coming in
Just like before
I will be on stand-by.

Releasing the vapour
Into the lung
Letting the wings unfurl
And for a moment I feel young
I call on the bird
Unfurl

Offline nick_z

« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
Great write-up, Litho. I'll post my usual random thoughts sometime over the next few days  :)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Viva Emptiness (2003)
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2022, 12:19:27 PM »
I didn't think it was the best thing ever after my first listen, so I shouldn't expect the same from you. :)

Probably best you keep this mindset moving forwards  :lol

I gave Viva Emptiness a second listen today. I was working whilst I was listening, but can't say I remember a great deal about it. None of it is bad, but it didn't particularly jump out at me today.

Great write up by the way LithoJazzoSphere, hope you haven't oversold this next one, because it sounds great!

Also great insight into the lyrics Lethean, looking forward to spinning this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:20:05 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2022, 05:44:56 PM »
I didn't think it was the best thing ever after my first listen, so I shouldn't expect the same from you. :)

I gave Viva Emptiness a second listen today. I was working whilst I was listening, but can't say I remember a great deal about it. None of it is bad, but it didn't particularly jump out at me today.

Great write up by the way LithoJazzoSphere, hope you haven't oversold this next one, because it sounds great!

Luke, I can see you enjoy The Great Cold Distance. It's a really cool record. I would've thought you'd like Viva Emptiness too, actually. Don't give up on it...it tends to sneak up on you when you least expect it  ;)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
The Great Cold Distance, hands down my favorite Katatonia record. I have spent a lot on time and money on this one. Have the big deluxe artbook reissue, the double vinyl reissue, the vinyl of the live show in Plovdiv, etc. July is my favorite song of theirs.

Love, love, love this record.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Realm

« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
The Great Cold Distance - I am pretty sure this is my favourite Katatonia album. Just love this one, amazing songs from start to finish. I think if I had to name just one song as my favourite it would be July but they are all great.

Also, in terms of lyrics, after experiencing the Covid lockdowns and mask wearing I started to associate the lyrics of Soils Song with the pandemic. Read the lyrics Lethean posted above and see what you think.

In terms of performances on the album, they are all great. I think Litho's write up really says it all here. Just a great write up and thanks for doing this.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2022, 09:31:14 PM »

Luke, I can see you enjoy The Great Cold Distance. It's a really cool record. I would've thought you'd like Viva Emptiness too, actually. Don't give up on it...it tends to sneak up on you when you least expect it  ;)[

The bold is true for me of Katatonia in general.  There's been a song or two here and there that I loved right away (Code Against the Code is one actually), but the band itself definitely snuck up on me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2022, 09:35:20 PM »
The Great Cold Distance, hands down my favorite Katatonia record. I have spent a lot on time and money on this one. Have the big deluxe artbook reissue, the double vinyl reissue, the vinyl of the live show in Plovdiv, etc. July is my favorite song of theirs.

Love, love, love this record.
I don't have any vinyl at all unless it was part of a package I wanted, so I think I have one or two from Katatonia, but maybe not The Great Cold Distance.  But I love the deluxe art book.  All 19 tracks, the Plovdiv set on cd, beautiful artwork of course.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2022, 09:58:32 PM »
The Great Cold Distance - I am pretty sure this is my favourite Katatonia album. Just love this one, amazing songs from start to finish. I think if I had to name just one song as my favourite it would be July but they are all great.

Also, in terms of lyrics, after experiencing the Covid lockdowns and mask wearing I started to associate the lyrics of Soils Song with the pandemic. Read the lyrics Lethean posted above and see what you think.

That never crossed my mind, but I definitely see where you're coming from.  If Soil's Song had been released during the pandemic I probably would have thought that for sure.

In terms of performances on the album, they are all great. I think Litho's write up really says it all here. Just a great write up and thanks for doing this.

+1. I'll definitely have to go back sometime and check out the timestamps. 

I'll share more of my thoughts on the album in the next few days.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
Some thoughts on The Great Cold Distance...

Such great production, no doubt the best they’d had up to this point, by some margin. Yet I remember, at first, it felt...I don't know...a bit "drier"? I agree with Litho there were a few elements missing, I suppose... more "background ambience" as opposed to the piano, perhaps a palette of sounds that didn't feel quite as rich. Turns out the sound is absolutely perfect for what they were going for here, and the whole thing sounds great.

But my very first impact with the album when it came out was one of slight disappointment. I liked it, but didn't love it. I remember thinking...I am a Tool fan, but do I need Katatonia to sound like them? Also, the vocal lines – here is where, imo, Jonas' melodies start taking a little more time to sink in. Not a immediate as in the previous couple of albums.

In time, though, I’ve grown to truly love and appreciate this album. It’s one I would not hesitate to recommend to someone wanting to get an idea of how “modern” Katatonia sounds. It’s full of fantastic, concise tunes. It gets better and better, every time you listen to it. And when those vocal melodies do eventually find their way in your brain, they just stick with you.

There’s still that Katatonia trademark melancholy, for sure (Deliberation, My Twin - of course, Rusted, In the White, Journey Through Pressure...). So, while the more modern, "alternative" influence (Tool, in primis) is certainly now very present, there is no mistaking which band we are listening to.

Some random highlights...

My Twin was such a good single. It’s catchy, dark and melodic, but with so many cool subtleties in the arrangement. I love that distorted guitar arpeggiated figure that comes in during the almost alt-metal bridge to bring the doom back.

Consternation is pretty heavy and modern sounding, including the effects on Jonas’ voice, but it’s so incredibly dynamic, both in the riffs and in its rhythm. Also, those almost unexpected melodic interlude are so good (and yes, the drumming is incredibly tasteful there!)

Increase starts out all aggressive and then suddenly opens up to that gorgeous guitar melody. July has a bit of a Viva Emptiness vibe in the chorus, and a clear Tool influence in the verses. Love how in the second verse the guitars are more prominent and the drumming gets more complex, building the song up...in a similar way to what Rush do with their songs (NOT that this sounds like Rush  ;) It's the approach to orchestrating verses in richer and richer ways). In the White does start a bit like My Twin pt.2, but then it develops into its own beast. It's cool that the vocal melody in the chorus reprises the guitar theme in the beginning of the song. And that progression in the bridge, so tasty!

Anyway, there are many, many great moments and songs in there. I absolutely agree with Litho that, from a drumming standpoint, the album rules. Such an assured, dynamic, interesting performance.

Overall, I still feel that while I agree there is more variation in tempo vs. past albums, there is maybe a little less variety in the songwriting, especially compared to Viva Emptiness. But it really is a matter of taste. In fact, as I was re-listening to TGCD yesterday, I was thinking how it hasn't lost one bit of its charm. Quite the opposite, actually.

Great stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #291 on: December 23, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »
TAC, how about a night before night before Christmas Viva Emptiness first impressions post.... :)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #292 on: December 23, 2022, 03:14:07 PM »
Luke hasn't chimed in much either, so I think we can take our time before we move on to NITND. 

In the White does start a bit like My Twin pt.2, but then it develops into its own beast. It's cool that the vocal melody in the chorus reprises the guitar theme in the beginning of the song.

Yeah, see this is the kind of detail I'd probably catch in my roulette for newer songs, but for ones I've known for ages sometimes just slips me right by, even though I'd certainly noticed that before. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:21:05 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2022, 05:06:53 PM »
TAC, how about a night before night before Christmas Viva Emptiness first impressions post.... :)

Sure!

Viva Emptiness

Ghost Of The Sun- What is this?? This is like regular music! Makes that "Katatonia" section at 2:20 bearable, but effective. Is this a third part..in a four minute song? I can't recall every song I've heard, but this is easily one of the best ones.

Sleeper- Katatonia calling a song Sleeper is like Testament calling a song Metal. Two songs in, and the drums are really standing out. That groove at 1:40 is really cool. The chorus seems like it could've been an influence on Tribulation. The vocals are a bit dreary to close it out, but decent enough.

Criminals- This song kind of snuck by me. It has a trancelike feel to it. I like the rhythm at 2:20. Interesting, but kind of cool.

A Premonition- The beginning reminds me of Nirvana's Unplugged In New York. This is definitely a Katatonia song.

Will I Arrive- I feel like Katatonia was hijacked. Wait..nope, there they are. I like the chorus. Those dreary verses set it up well.

Burn The Remembrance- I have noticed the choruses are much better written. I like the guitar from about the 4 minute mark on. Gives the impression of a windy chaotic swell.

Wealth- Fells a bit punky in the intro, even with the odd time. Musically this is really good. The We Die, We All part is cool as shit. This song rocks!

One Year From Now- A bit drab.

Walking By The Wire- This feels like a late in the album track that doesn't jump out at you at first, but one that emerges over time.

Complicity- This is the type of song that I feel represents this time period, especially on the radio. It's not a style that appeals to me, but I've heard a millions songs on the radio just like it.

Alright..oh wait..there's three more songs??

Evidence- I like this. Really harmless and enjoyable track.

Omerta- It's ok. I'm running out of steam..

Inside The City Of Glass-Wow what a cool title. I mentioned Tribulation earlier. This intro makes me think of them again. A bit monotonous though.

OK...I still think the vocals are the weak point, but with that, they are much improved here. The improved drumming that was trumpeted with the previous album really rears its head on this album. Very nice indeed. The choruses feel a lot better written.
I haven't read the album blurb from you guys yet, so maybe it's addressed, but is there a new guitarist? It feels like a whole new approach and much more attention to both the sound and the technique. All in all, much improved overall.

Why does Evidence and Omerta have significantly more streams on Spotify?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2022, 05:41:54 PM »
Complicity- This is the type of song that I feel represents this time period, especially on the radio. It's not a style that appeals to me, but I've heard a millions songs on the radio just like it.

I really wanted to gainsay this, but you kind of have a point.  Something like Breaking Benjamin's "So Cold" isn't radically different than some of what they're doing here.  I think it's that everyone wanted to sound like Tool in this time period.  Katatonia just kept more of their own essence than most while incorporating that more angular and rhythmic feel. 

I haven't read the album blurb from you guys yet, so maybe it's addressed, but is there a new guitarist?

No, not really (though Jonas from this point on starts playing more parts of his own on the albums), but they significantly lowered their tuning on this album, Anders wrote in a riffier rather than chordal style (king was right about you after all!), and the types of guitar sounds are quite different, especially for heavy rhythm parts. 

Why does Evidence and Omerta have significantly more streams on Spotify?

They're fan favorites that tended to get played more live, and I suspect they're on some various metal compilations floating around. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2022, 05:45:38 PM »
BTW TAC, you've heard Ghost of the Sun before since I sent it in the Sun and Moon round of your roulette.  :)  I don't remember everything you said, but you didn't care for the f bombs.

Evidence is one of the best songs there is, so clearly you have to listen to it more. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »
BTW TAC, you've heard Ghost of the Sun before since I sent it in the Sun and Moon round of your roulette.  :)  I don't remember everything you said, but you didn't care for the f bombs.

Evidence is one of the best songs there is, so clearly you have to listen to it more. :)

Found the writeup..

4. Lethean...Katatonia - Ghost Of The Sun

"Much better, thank you."

This was miles better than the first two Katatonia songs I received. I really liked it until I got to the chorus. Honestly, I found it kind of off putting with the F bombs. Though musically, the chorus lets the song down too. But there's enough here to give them an honest shot post roulette.

I loved that roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2022, 08:14:49 PM »
Do the f bombs still bother you now?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2022, 02:38:01 AM »
Such an amazing album- “My Twin” was my introduction to the band and I’ve been hooked ever since.

What can be said that already hasn’t about this album? This is where Katatonia truly found their identity in my opinion. Their run from Great Cold Distance through Dead End Kings is one of the best, consistent three album streak you’ll find in any metal band during this time period. I find it ironic Jonas mentioned he was having major writer’s block before Great Cold Distance.

While they started to play around with drum samples during this time- I feel like drummer Daniel Liljekvist is the unsung hero of the band. His playing on Rusted and July is so inventive and intricate yet never “showy”. Quite possibly one of the most underrated drummer in metal- it’s a crime he left the music industry to focus on personal commitments.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »
Quite possibly one of the most underrated drummer in metal- it’s a crime he left the music industry to focus on personal commitments.

Well, I wouldn't say he left the music industry at all, he's been in at least half a dozen different bands since then.  I think he just chooses smaller bands where he can record albums and do local shows on occasion and not have to leave his family behind for world tours like Katatonia does. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2022, 11:26:18 AM »
I still haven't had time to listen to the timestamps and things that Litho mentioned, but I absolutely will when I get a chance.  I have been listening to the album while wrapping presents and doing other holiday things.

I don't really have much to add to Litho's background information, just a little.  They did their first US tour during this time, and at first everything was awful. The crew was bad, the merch guy stole money, and Daniel even "quit" during the tour - saying he would finish but then he was done.  But he rejoined a few days later.  :) However, they got used to some of the issues they had and the US became one of their favorite places to tour.

Daniel was so concerned about being able to play the material for the album that he talked to Jonas and offered to step aside so they could find a better drummer.  Jonas said no, and clearly he made the right choice.  :)

My thoughts on the album: it's awesome. :)  I said that for me, Viva Emptiness marked the beginning of a 6 album run of perfection.  The Great Cold Distance is of course part of that.  I think I like Viva Emptiness slightly better, but it's so close it doesn't really matter.  Like with Viva Emptiness, I got into this one song by song, often while walking.

I also love Live Consternation, both to watch and just to listen to.  The version of Cold Ways is great and probably the reason that's one of my favorite songs from Discouraged Ones.  Leaders sounds fast, but it's fine and there's a lot of excitement.  I also really love that version of Evidence.

The songs:

Leaders - what an incredible opening track.  The intro is just so cool and it really starts the album off with a bang.

Deliberation - one of my favorites from the album.  I'm having a hard time describing why, but it just feels like everything comes together really well.  I also really love the Live Consternation version of this one. 

Soil's Song - I remember this song hitting me.  It seemed like a weird and unusual song that was kind of cool and then it was like "wow."

My Twin - I'm glad this is such a great song because they play it all the time.  :)  There's a kind of urgency (maybe not quite the right word) to the vocals in the chorus that really… makes the song that much better. 

Consternation - this next grouping of songs took me longer to get into; I focused on the songs they played live at first because I was seeing them soon after I got the album.  I had so much new stuff at once that it took a while to get to everything.  And when I did, each of these songs hit me at different times and I was kind of amazed by how good seemingly everything they do is.  Consternation starts off heavy and just sounds really cool.  Lyrics and vocals also totally cool.  Until I get there. Hidden I will be.

Follower - I love the intro here and the soft but yet hard hitting vocals; then when it transitions to the chorus it still hits you but now in a different way, then it transitions back.

Rusted - the imagery in the lyrics are great on this whole album but Rusted is standing out to me as I'm writing this.

Increase - I feel like this song should get more attention and they should swap it into the setlist for some of the other songs from this album occasionally.  It's just awesome.  The intro is just so cool, the atmosphere is something else, and then the chorus comes and it's like wow.

July - another that they play all the time but it's truly a great song.  I could say the same about the vocals here that I did with My Twin, especially live.  "If only you could stay and keep me in" sounds really intense live.

In the White - probably my favorite song on the album.  Everything is just perfect here; the way the song begins and sets everything up, the bass line, what Nick mentioned about the guitar and vocal melody, the lyrics, Jonas' delivery of said lyrics, etc.

The Itch - I like the way this one goes back and forth with the really heavy parts and the more delicate verses.  The whispering and the harsh vocals both add to the effect.

Journey Through Pressure - The sky moves faster at this time of year.  I would really love to hear this one live.  It's an incredible way to close out the album; really kind of magical even though it's also of course dark and doomy.

My Twin (opium dub version)  -  I like this version to give even more focus on the vocals and melodies.

Displaced - totally good enough to be on the album. :) Maybe it has a slightly different vibe so it makes more sense as a bonus track.

Dissolving Bonds - this song is so good and I got to hear it live. :) I absolutely love the "you said, you…" part.

In the White (urban dub) - as good as the original I think.  The original is perfect, and this is a different shade of the song and I different taste of the melancholy.     

Code Against the Code - one of the few songs I loved right away.  I didn't hear it  for a while; I had it on my spreadsheet as something I was looking for but correctly assumed that there would be a 10th anniversary edition.  I really just liked the vibe of it right away and would play it multiple times in a row.

Soil's Song (Krister Linder 2012 remix) - the original is definitely better but this is cool and enjoyable.       

Unfurl - One of their most beautiful songs.  Like Code Against the Code, I don't think I legitimately owned this until the anniversary edition.  But I heard the song and liked it so much that I got some program to record audio from youtube. Hearing it live was absolutely incredible.  I've come to learn that it's something of a fan favorite and it certainly deserves to be. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2022, 11:29:22 AM »
Volante, can I ask where Jonas mentioned that he had writer's block himself?  I know Anders has and that'll be coming up shortly but I've never read it about Jonas.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »
Volante, can I ask where Jonas mentioned that he had writer's block himself?  I know Anders has and that'll be coming up shortly but I've never read it about Jonas.

Nope- could have sworn it was Jonas but I must have gotten my Swedes mixed up and it was indeed Anders prior to NitND. Thank you for the correction.

In regards to Daniel Liljekvist still being active in music- I stand corrected there as well- looks like he’s definitely gotten more active recently with Grand Cadaver. Some tasty playing on In Mourning’s Afterglow (highly recommended). Glad to see he’s still playing. To be honest, I haven’t followed Katatonia (or their ex-members) very closely since about 2017-2018 as I’ve found their output post-“Dead End Kings” to be somewhat redundant and uneven but I digress.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #303 on: December 28, 2022, 01:57:05 PM »
The Great Cold Distance - Another really solid album here, as the follow up to Viva Emptiness.  This one is consistently good, but I think the highs on Viva Emptiness are higher, so I rate it above TGCD.  There is definitely more of that rhythmic, Tool style riffing found here.  Jonas continues to get better and better.  Interesting to read about Daniel offering to step down, as he didn't feel adequate for the material.  He definitely has some really tasty parts on this album.  Increase is probably my favorite track here, but Rusted is fairly close as well.  In the White is right there too.  Leaders is another great album opener, and Journey Through Pressure is another doomy closer.  Soil's Song, July, and My Twin are probably the most well-known tracks and all are great too.  As mentioned, they are a great B-side band, and TGCD is no exception.  I especially love Displaced and Unfurl.  Another really top-notch album in stretch of 3 for me, but we'll get there with the next one...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 02:19:46 PM by billboy73 »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #304 on: December 28, 2022, 02:05:46 PM »

Nope- could have sworn it was Jonas but I must have gotten my Swedes mixed up and it was indeed Anders prior to NitND. Thank you for the correction.

In regards to Daniel Liljekvist still being active in music- I stand corrected there as well- looks like he’s definitely gotten more active recently with Grand Cadaver. Some tasty playing on In Mourning’s Afterglow (highly recommended). Glad to see he’s still playing. To be honest, I haven’t followed Katatonia (or their ex-members) very closely since about 2017-2018 as I’ve found their output post-“Dead End Kings” to be somewhat redundant and uneven but I digress.

Ha! I like that album, and I didn't even know/realize he played on it!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #305 on: December 31, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
I'm going to post the next one next week to give a little more time with all the holiday stuff.

Litho, do you want to mention Bloodbath while we're waiting for TAC and Luke to listen to/comment on The Great Cold Distance?

I should have mentioned that I think The Great Cold Distance is a great album title in addition to everything else about it being great. :)

My rankings:

1. Viva Emptiness
2. The Great Cold Distance
3. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
4. Tonight's Decision
5. Discouraged Ones
6. Dance of December Souls
7. Brave Murder Day

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #306 on: December 31, 2022, 10:57:51 AM »
Hah, you pulled the thought right out of my head!  I had actually just listened to the Bloodbath album from this year yesterday and suddenly realized we hadn't mentioned them at all.  I had put off listening to it because I don't like Nick Holmes as a harsh vocalist nearly as much as Akerfeldt or Tagtgren, but it does still feature playing from Jonas and Anders (plus Axenrot, not to mention Swano, Sandin, Eriksson, Moilanen, and Akvik live or on earlier material, so it's loaded with people in the Katatonia orbit), so it's worth highlighting I suppose.  I just don't have time to think about it at the moment, there's too much else going on.  If you're up for it though, go ahead. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 11:04:08 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #307 on: December 31, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »
I am absolutely not qualified to lead a Bloodbath discussion.  But I can mention them and what I do know.  I keep intending to try and give it a real listen again, but haven't done it yet.

Bloodbath is a (mostly) Swedish death metal band started in 1998.  I read an interview with Anders where he said that they (he and Jonas) had the name before they actually had the band and would say in interviews that they had a death metal band called Bloodbath.  They couldn't believe that no one else had used the name for a death metal band. 

The original lineup had Mikael Åkerfeldt on vocals, Anders guitar, Jonas on bass, and Dan Swano on drums.  It's been referred to as a supergroup although they've said they don't really consider it that.  It was supposed to be (and is, I believe) an old school death metal band.

Mikael Åkerfeldt left and was replaced by Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy, Pain) for one album, then he came back for an album, and left again and was eventually replaced by Nick Holmes from Paradise Lost, who is still with them today.

Dan Swano switched from drums to guitar before leaving the band due to creative differences and other priorities. 

Martin Axenrot joined as the drummer in 2004 (and would later join Opeth) and has been with them since, and they've had a variety of second guitar players, one of whom will be mentioned in my next album post.

They have 2 live DVDs and have done a fair amount of touring and festival appearances.

This is the project (though really it's its own band) I've listened to the least as I'm just not really into the vocals, but they seem to be well liked.  I'll give it a more serious try eventually.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2023, 08:58:26 AM »
Yeah, the key thing is that Bloodbath is an arguable origin point for the old-school death metal revival scene, in their case focused on their love of the sound of bands like Entombed and Dismember.  Of course Dan in particular was a member of that scene himself with his work with Edge of Sanity and others.  A significant element of that sound is the Boss HM-2 pedal, and on Bloodbath's second album Resurrection Through Carnage Dan even went to the point of ripping the EQ settings from Entombed's "Drowned" on Left Hand Path to attain a closer sound to it.  Bloodbath is probably my favorite of the revivalists. 

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2023, 03:44:46 PM »
Sorry for not really posting much in this thread. I am listening to the albums, but trying to put my thoughts into writing my roulette scores.

I'm still following and will hopefully post more on the next album.

I've listened to The Great Cold Distance twice, and the sing writing seems really strong some standout moments, but nothing too mind-blowing. I've got the live album queued up to play some time soon as well, maybe that will help me appreciate the songs a little more.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #310 on: January 03, 2023, 09:49:06 PM »
I totally get it with the roulette writeups; mine weren't long (at all) and I struggled with them quite a bit.

As for The Great Cold Distance, I was definitely a little worried that everyone was overhyping it.  Not that I think they're wrong - I had a lot of hype in my own post.  But pretty much all Katatonia albums have been growers for me to some extent and I think all the hype before your first listen can make things a bit difficult.

I do like Live Consternation quite a lot; hopefully you'll enjoy it. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #311 on: January 04, 2023, 09:43:42 AM »
So last night I finally checked out all of the time stamps that Litho included in his writeup.  It's been a while since I listened to the album with headphones while not really doing anything else, and it was a *great* experience. 

However, I was not successful at listening to only the drumming on In the White.  I started off with every intention of doing that, but the song is just too good.  Maybe I'll try again and listen to the song 3 times in a row or something so I can get how awesome everything else is out of my system. :)

But I really appreciated all the little details that you pointed out Litho.  Some of which I've noticed before, others not necessarily specifically.  I needed to refresh my memory of what a china is as well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #312 on: January 04, 2023, 09:44:08 AM »
TAC, let's have some first impressions. :)

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Night Is the New Day (2009)
« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2023, 01:41:35 PM »
Night is the New Day (2009)

1.  Forsaker     4:05
2.  The Longest Year     4:39
3.  Idle Blood     4:23
4.  Onward into Battle     3:51
5.  Liberation     4:18
6.  The Promise of Deceit     4:17
7.  Nephilim     4:27
8.  New Night     4:27
9.  Inheritance     4:30
10. Day and Then the Shade     4:27
11. Departer     5:28
2011 Tour Edition Bonus tracks (some of which were also found on singles/EPs):
12. Ashen     4:09
13. Sold Heart     4:36
14. Day and Then the Shade (Frank Default mix)     5:39
15. Idle Blood (Linje 14)     3:23

Note: There is also a 2019 10th anniversary edition which has all of the above bonus tracks plus 7 live tracks - 5 that are also on other live albums but 2 that are unique to the anniversary edition.

Lineup:
Jonas Renkse - vocals
Anders Nyström - guitars
Fredrik Norrman - guitars
Mattias Norrman - bass
Daniel Liljekvist - drums

Additional:
Frank Default - synthesizers, programming, piano, additional percussion; he'd added some keyboards to The Great Cold Distance bonus tracks and Jonas worked with him to add keyboards and programing to the songs for Night is the New Day

Krister Linder - guest vocals and lyrics on Departer

This is the first Katatonia album written primarily by Jonas.  After the tour cycle for The Great Cold Distance ended, they were going to write new music but things kind of slowed down with several of the band members having kids during this time.  Jonas had written some music in 2008 but didn’t really do anything with it or turn it into songs, and then his son was born at the end of the year. A few months later he finally spoke with Anders about the next album, but Anders didn’t have anything - he had been dealing with the business side of things for a long time at that point, and that contributed to writer’s block.

Jonas then started writing as much as possible to see where things would go.  He’d written a lot for The Great Cold Distance, but he and Anders had worked together back then.  This time it was just him.  After writing music 24-7 for a while, he sent some ideas to the rest of the band who liked it and encouraged him to continue.  Then he started to work with Frank Default to add some keyboards and programming to the songs.

They booked studio time for July of 2009.  In the spring, Jonas and Anders went to Jonas' parents house for a week, like they had done as kids, to work on the music and the pre-production of the album.  During this time without any distractions, they wrote the music for Forsaker and Onward into Battle together, and Anders wrote the music and lyrics to Idle Blood.  (All other songs were written by Jonas).  Frank Default joined them to finish adding keyboards and Daniel came to work on drums, and they had the album almost finished after that time and were ready for the studio.

Jonas was there for the whole recording process - for the recording of the drums in a separate studio (Studio Mega), and then recording the guitars at Ghost Ward (David Castillo’s studio) in Stockholm.  Although he is not credited for it, Jonas played guitars on the album - he’d written most of the songs and it was faster to play some himself than to teach the others everything.  (I’m not sure why he is credited on some albums and not others - in an interview around The Fall of Hearts time, he said he’s played guitar on a lot of their albums but didn’t really need credit).

They did some festivals and support tours (opening for Porcupine Tree and Paradise Lost) while waiting for the album to be released.

They also finally got a management company (Northern Management, who also managed Opeth and Paradise Lost), which was a great relief for Anders who could finally step back from the management duties.

Lineup Changes
This marked the end of Katatonia’s longest period with the same lineup, as the Norrman brothers left the band at the end of the year.  Katatonia had plans to increase their live touring, and both brothers had families and didn’t want to/weren’t able to commit to touring that much. 

Replacing them were:
Per Eriksson -  guitarist in Bloodbath and also a long-term guitar tech for Katatonia
Niklas Sandin - bass, who had previously played in a band, Amaran, with one of Katatonia's tour managers, and Amaran had done some shows or festivals with Katatonia.

They were both announced as temporary touring members as the band didn’t have time to find and audition permanent members, but they wound up joining the band full time. 

Touring
During rehearsals for the new material, Katatonia realized they'd either need to hire a touring keyboard player or use backing tracks.  They didn't have time to deal with finding a new member, and decided to use the backing tracks, which led to them using in-ear monitors for the first time.

They did indeed tour a lot for this album, going to new places like Australia, South America, Israel, and India. Setlist.fm shows 2010 as having the most shows in one year.  They toured to support Night is the New Day and in 2011 they also celebrated the 10th anniversary of Last Fair Deal Gone Down.  A lot of the shows were sold out and the tours went well.  The new members were more active on stage than the Norrman brothers had been.  Anders felt that the band had finally become a great live band.

Last Fair Day Gone Night (2013)

1st set (CD1 - Last Fair Deal Gone Down)
1.   Dispossession   05:36
2.   Chrome   05:14
3.   We Must Bury You   02:50
4.   Teargas   03:23
5.   I Transpire   05:56
6.   Tonight's Music   04:20
7.   Clean Today   04:23
8.   The Future of Speech   05:40
9.   Passing Bird   03:38
10.   Sweet Nurse   03:57
11.   Don't Tell a Soul   05:42

2nd set (CD2)
1.   Brave   10:16
2.   Nephilim   04:27
3.   My Twin   03:44
4.   I Break   04:21
5.   Right into the Bliss   05:04
6.   The Promise of Deceit   04:18
7.   Wait Outside   03:38
8.   The Longest Year   04:39
9.   July   04:45
10.   New Night   04:28
11.   Dissolving Bonds   03:35
12.   Forsaker   04:05

In 2011 they performed and recorded their second live album/dvd and released it in 2013.  The first half of the show was Last Fair Deal Gone Down in its entirety.  I love the studio album, but I'm also happy to have these songs performed by Jonas after he had really found his voice and he sounds fantastic here.  The second half of the set features Night is the New Day but they also managed to play tracks from most of their other albums and even throw in some bonus tracks. Jonas revives his harsh vocals to perform Brave. The package also includes a documentary where I've taken a lot of the information in my write ups from. 

You can watch the full set here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmWAJq5Lk5Y

Personal notes
Earlier I said that Viva Emptiness was the beginning of six perfect albums.  But Night Is the New Day is the beginning of four… even better albums than the first two.  :)  I absolutely love Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance and wouldn't change anything about either of them, but I like the rest even more.  I don't mean to over hype this - this is my personal preference and I don't expect everyone to agree - I’m pretty sure that The Great Cold Distance is the overall fan favorite (and I definitely think TAC would prefer The Great Cold Distance over Night Is the New Day).  Opinions seem to be all over the place with their albums and in all kinds of combinations.  For me, the vocals are just a little bit better, the lyrics are a little bit better, my emotional reaction is just a little bit stronger; everything is just right.

Night is the New Day was my first Katatonia album, though I didn’t really get into it until after the next one when I then came back to it.  It was recommended by a friend at the end of 2009, along with the first Subsignal album.  I reported back that I liked Night is the New Day but I’m not sure if I listened to it more than a couple times.  I’d been a fan of Sieges Even so I put more of my attention to Subsignal instead, and I’m not quick about exploring new music.

In 2011, I was excited to discover that Opeth, a band I’d never been able to get into but always wanted to, was doing an all clean vocals tour.  It was finally my chance. :)  Katatonia was opening for them.  On the day of the show, I listened to Night Is the New Day while I was at work, and I remember being really taken with Forsaker and hoping they’d play it at the show.  When it got to that chorus - “the dark will rise…” I was like “OK, there’s something here.”  It was different from whatever else I was listening to.  I remember thinking “ok, I guess darkness is kind of their thing” but not in a dismissive way, and that surprised me.  I think I had a vague notion that a band with that kind of darkness theme wouldn’t interest me and that I would be dismissive of it.  (And in retrospect, I perhaps wasn’t really all that self aware.  For example, I love Riverside, and many people comment on them being sad and melancholic and dark - I never particularly thought of it that way though.)  Despite liking Forsaker, I kind of thought that I wanted the rest of the album to be heavier. (I was wrong of course.)

My first Katatonia show

I'm going to write more than I originally planned - to counter some of the disparaging comments about Katatonia as a live band from earlier in the thread. :P

I went with a friend and we missed most of the first song because the show was sold out and we had to find people with extra tickets.  It was very cold outside but hot inside; it was already packed when we made our way inside and there was barely room to move onto the floor from the… atrium. ;) We didn't even bother trying to get much closer - we moved a few feet away from the entrance and stayed put. 

The stage was small and Katatonia didn't really have any room in front of Opeth's drums and their own, so there were two guys crammed together on either side of the kit.  I remember thinking it was odd that the singer had his hair in his face pretty much the whole time, but it was fine.  It was a really really good set.  Heavier than I expected and than I’m sure you might think, yet mesmerizing.  Their stage presence was perfectly fine, better than fine; fitting for their music and all of them were in motion much of the time.  They might not have traveled from their designated stations, but they were moving and the crowd was really into it and it was a *great* show. 

Maybe I had the benefit here of knowing pretty much nothing about them.  I didn't know any of their names even.  I didn't know that Jonas supposedly had stage fright.  I hadn't seen them in the past to have any negative impressions if they had been a worse live band before.  I thought the hair in his face was odd like I said, but I didn't really care and in a way it was fitting.  It wasn't unacceptable to me whatsoever.  Maybe he really was panicking, but it didn't seem that way, and if he was, that's really only a negative for him, not me.  He still got up there and did it.  He sounded great, he was headbanging as were the rest of them, I don't remember what he said to the crowd but whatever it was I didn't think anything of it.  I was there to see Opeth, I had no reason to be biased, if I thought they were a bad live band I'd have said so and probably taken even longer to really discover them.  Instead, that show made me more interested in them… even to the point that when I went back to listen to Night Is the New Day and still didn't think it was heavy enough*, I thought maybe they were one of those bands that's better live than on disc.  Which now seems ridiculous given how I think their albums are pretty much the best thing ever, but I 100% stand by saying they're a great live band, and that was a great show. 

*Looking back, I don’t really think “heavy” is the right word.  It’s not that I was only listening to super heavy stuff at the time, or that I’ve ever really been one to require my music to be super heavy.  Whatever it was, I just need more time with the songs.

In the end, I wound up liking them a lot better than Opeth (who was great; perfectly fine, no complaints, but I think they were way more static on stage than Katatonia and wonder if people get on their case about their live show.  Or is it just that people know Jonas has/had stage fright so they're hyper aware and ready to criticize everything?  Was is it that people expect?).  My friend also liked their set a lot and thought it was intense.

So… I still didn’t do a deep dive into Katatonia immediately, but they were now on my radar to see live again and I of course listened to Night Is the New Day a little more.  My general thought was that I liked it, and Katatonia would be a new band for me to like.  The deep dive happened after the next album, and when I went back to Night is the New Day at that point, it slowly, song by song, started to become one of my favorite albums. 🙂

The songs

Forsaker - see the above; this will always be one of my favorite songs since it made such a big impression on me.  I’ve seen it at every Katatonia show I’ve been to and will never get tired of it.

The Longest Year - this is one of the earlier tracks to click with me; partly because they played it on the next tour and it was fantastic; I remember getting chills listening to this… "find the one…"

Idle Blood - I remember playing this album in the car with someone who suddenly stopped talking to say “what a delightful song.”  And it is.

Onward into Battle - this is a great deep cut that sounds sooo good live. Though it sounds like a power metal song title, it's anything but.  This song is emotional and ethereal and chill inducing and that chorus…

Liberation and The Promise of Deceit - these two clicked at the same time for me, and I remember playing them over and over and over again.  I had a bunch of miscellaneous Katatonia tracks on shuffle when I’d go for a walk, and if one of these two would come on, I’d take it off shuffle, play both tracks, repeat them, and repeat them again. And maybe again.

Liberation - very heavy; you might not necessarily think so and then you see it live and it’s a wall of guitars and it’s so awesome.  It also gives me chills when I see it live. 

The Promise of Deceit - maybe not the type of song I’d have expected to like before Katatonia, but I can’t get enough of it.  The second I hear “Evening,” I smile, and I’m transported.  This song alone was motivation for me to see them perform Night Is the New Day in its entirety in Europe for the 10 year anniversary.  And it was worth it.

Nephilim - this is such a heavy song. I don't mean in a headbanging way, though there was headbanging when they played it live.  But it's so dark and foreboding and full of dread. The way the guitar and keyboards work together is perfect.  The way it starts with the chorus, if you'd call it that, and then goes to the verses which are mellow but fit the vibe perfectly… I like this song *a lot* yet it's not one of my favorites off the album; the album is just so so good.

New Night and Inheritance - probably the biggest contributors to my initial thoughts that the album wasn’t heavy enough.  I’d listen to them and think they were pleasant and enjoyable but nothing more.  But then…

New Night crept up on me and I’m not sure when I came to love it, but I did.  I started to feel some strong emotions when  listening to it.

Inheritance - I remember listening to it one day and getting chills and thinking I’d never heard it like that before, and why hadn’t I?  It was stunning.

Day and Then the Shade - another track I got into earlier on.  They played this too, and it's heavy and beautiful all in one.  I'll have a separate post for lyrics but this is definitely a song where the imagery in the lyrics makes me feel like I'm there.  I'm rising over glass cathedrals myself, and it kind of feels like flying in my head.

Departer - this is really magical.  An incredible closing track.  I’ll confess that I’d much rather Jonas just sing the whole thing, but Krister Linder’s voice is fine and I know that Jonas is a fan of his and he was thrilled to have him on the album. 

Ashen - another bonus track that’s just as good as anything on the album. I love the contrast here with the heavy verses and the softer chorus.

Sold Heart - and another fantastic bonus track.  This has to be one of my favorite songs, but there are so many.  It's just so beautiful and I think you'll be getting close to the full lyrics in the next post.

Day and Then the Shade (Frank Default mix) and Idle Blood (Linje 14) - two beautiful mixes of the corresponding songs.  I do prefer the originals, but love listening to these as well.  I like how you really get to hear the vocals in a different light and get to hear all of the vocal nuances.

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Night is the New Day (2009)
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2023, 01:42:16 PM »
Night Is the New Day lyrics post

Forsaker
Rage from a distance
The name unfamiliar
Spikes reach the heart
Time set for rewind

The dark will rise
Abandon your freedom
Give up the right to find your true self
Forsake your own reasons

The Longest Year