Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 22623 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: City Burials (2020)
« Reply #455 on: October 22, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »
I plan on commenting more, but for now I just wanted to say I, too, LOVE this album. In a way, it rekindled my Katatonia fandom a bit, after it sort of drifted for a few years. More specifically, it made me go back and dig deeper into the Dead End Kings and The Fall of Hearts which - for a variety of reasons - I hadn't paid as much attention to as they deserved when they came out.

As for the album itself, I very much welcomed the return to more concise songwriting. Not that the style overall was a huge departure from the more recent records, but it felt like the songs were a bit more to the point. Purely as a matter of personal taste of what I like/look for in Katatonia's music, I loved that.

Plus, it was such a surreal time when this came out.

More to come but, again, fantastic record.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #456 on: October 22, 2023, 10:29:05 PM »
I plan on commenting more, but for now I just wanted to say I, too, LOVE this album. In a way, it rekindled my Katatonia fandom a bit, after it sort of drifted for a few years. More specifically, it made me go back and dig deeper into the Dead End Kings and The Fall of Hearts which - for a variety of reasons - I hadn't paid as much attention to as they deserved when they came out.

As for the album itself, I very much welcomed the return to more concise songwriting. Not that the style overall was a huge departure from the more recent records, but it felt like the songs were a bit more to the point. Purely as a matter of personal taste of what I like/look for in Katatonia's music, I loved that.

Plus, it was such a surreal time when this came out.

More to come but, again, fantastic record.

I'm so happy to read this. :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #457 on: October 26, 2023, 07:38:10 PM »
A few more random thoughts:

- I absolutely love Heart Set to Divide as an opener. The way it, um, opens...with Jonas' vocals and the lush sound, it sets the stage beautifully. I would say, right from the start, it felt like Jonas had grown a ton in terms of his confidence as a singer.

- Behind the Blood always felt to me as a Kataonized version of a Judas Priest song. Just brilliant.

- Lacquer...speaking of vocals...My voice travelling, Soaring bird above your head, The house we lived in, Ridden with disease...who would've thunk we'd hear him sing like that?!

- The Winter of Our Passing: I guess it's the "hit" song of this record. Absolutely loved it from the very beginning. Just maybe wish it were a little longer, really. Feels like the lovechild of Lethean (the song  :biggrin:) and Racing Heart.

- Flicker is another big favorite of mine in here. The chorus, in particular, is fantastic. The guitar lick in it has a Viva Emptiness feel to me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #458 on: October 26, 2023, 08:42:51 PM »
A few more random thoughts:

- I absolutely love Heart Set to Divide as an opener. The way it, um, opens...with Jonas' vocals and the lush sound, it sets the stage beautifully. I would say, right from the start, it felt like Jonas had grown a ton in terms of his confidence as a singer.

- Behind the Blood always felt to me as a Kataonized version of a Judas Priest song. Just brilliant.

- Lacquer...speaking of vocals...My voice travelling, Soaring bird above your head, The house we lived in, Ridden with disease...who would've thunk we'd hear him sing like that?!

- The Winter of Our Passing: I guess it's the "hit" song of this record. Absolutely loved it from the very beginning. Just maybe wish it were a little longer, really. Feels like the lovechild of Lethean (the song  :biggrin:) and Racing Heart.

- Flicker is another big favorite of mine in here. The chorus, in particular, is fantastic. The guitar lick in it has a Viva Emptiness feel to me.

I think I pretty much agree with everything you just said.  Except I maybe thought Behind the Blood was the "hit."  They had it in their encore on the US tour.

Lacquer - absolutely.  And also "the levee breaking."  He said in an interview, probably more than one, that he really put a lot into his vocals for this album and hoped people liked it.

The Winter of Our Passing from Lethean and The Racing Heart - I guess I have to just go listen to all 3 soon. :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #459 on: October 27, 2023, 06:14:31 AM »
Also, speaking of The Winter of Our Passing...the drumming, too, is so cool on that one. Moilanen has a way of throwing you off just a bit with the snare hits on the verses...then I love his pattern going into the chorus (when Jonas sings To get higher I have to go so low). The song is not complex at all, and yet there are great little touches everywhere.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #460 on: October 27, 2023, 06:47:45 AM »
City Burials is probably my least favorite Katatonia album (unless we count Dethroned & Uncrowned). I don't think it's bad but it's just kinda mid to me. Like a fine 6/10, nothing more, nothing less. I do like Lacquer but aside from that, standout tracks are sparse for me sadly.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #461 on: October 29, 2023, 02:24:59 PM »
I already posted this in the top 50 DTF artists thread since Katatonia was just announced as ranking #39 (thanks to help also from Evermind and nick_z for getting them points!), but this is a good place for it as well.  It's an expansion of a suggested sampler track list I came up with a few years ago for another forum, and posted here last year. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5M8R1nSX5klmsNfeA1phOM

I was trying to select songs that highlight particular facets of their sound that others don't, not necessarily my favorites of theirs.  Let me know if I'm overlooking anything glaringly obvious. 

Also, I'm starting on thinking about CB, but MP coming back to DT and work kicking my ass at the end of last week has left me not in the mood to think particularly hard yet, but I'll get back to it soon enough.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #462 on: October 29, 2023, 05:47:13 PM »
What are your thoughts on that whole thing?  I'm not really happy about it, but obviously I loved the band before he left so why wouldn't I still now that he's back?  I just wanted Mangini to stay for the duration.  But there's nothing I can do about it, so whenever I start to complain to myself about it I try to move on.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #463 on: October 29, 2023, 08:14:13 PM »
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2023, 08:30:10 PM »
Ok I tried to skim through the thread on the DT side but it has too many pages already. :p

Offline Lethean

« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2023, 09:21:28 PM »
Also, you brought it up first.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2023, 09:38:56 PM »
Haha, I had forgotten I put that last sentence in there referencing it.  I thought my post was just about the playlist, and that you accidentally replied to the MP rejoining thread here instead of in there.   :lol

I still don't really have my thoughts about it sorted out yet.  MM was a more technically proficient drummer, but he made DT sound more clinical than they already were.  So I actually prefer MP's playing, and I guess I'm fine with with it in that regard.  It still seems weird how their press releases were worded regarding exactly what happened, and who knows when/if we'll find out the true story there.  But my struggles with DT in recent years have had more to do with JLB, and that's not going to change anytime soon. 

I still honestly need to reevaluate BC&SL and everything after in particular, because that came at a point at which I was kind of burned out on standard prog metal, and that lasted probably close to a decade.  D/T was the MM-era album that made my ears perk up the most, though I still haven't spent a ton of time with it.  But overall MP returning has certainly raised my interest in them higher than it has been in quite some time, and it's also been nice to see a lot of posters come back, so I'm hoping all of this results in a new golden era of DTF. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #467 on: October 30, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
Hey Lizzo!

This is a band I'm interested in and have been thinking of dipping my toes into for a while.  I see on the current 50 bands countdown you have these as your favourite artists - so if you have time,  based on what you know of my tastes (from your roulette) give me 5 songs that'll give me a fair impression of if this band is for me.

Cheers

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #468 on: October 30, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
Hmm, this is a tricky one.  Even after leaving behind the extreme metal of their first few albums, they're still much, much darker and heavier than most of what you seem to like.  But give these a go.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3xwFPVlacz7SL1xK2nKuj3?si=c2230ffe3e204e56

"Behind the Blood"
"Omerta"
"The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here"
"Idle Blood"
"Serac"

Offline nick_z

« Reply #469 on: October 30, 2023, 03:37:03 PM »
These are good picks for a “gentler” intro…

How about we add:

My Twin
Lethean
Racing Heart
Opaline

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #470 on: October 30, 2023, 04:23:28 PM »
Neither of you mentioning Decima or Shifts from The Fall Of Hearts?  :loser:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #471 on: October 30, 2023, 04:24:44 PM »

How about we add:

My Twin
Lethean
Racing Heart
Opaline

Yeah, those work too.  I was partially trying to tap into soupy's power metal and folk sides, to the extent that Katatonia does them. 

Well, I could keep adding things all day and just tell him to listen to their entire discography.   :D   "Decima" is kind of an even more melancholic version of "Idle Blood", and "Shifts" is one of their most Pink Floyd-y songs to the extent they go in that direction. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2023, 06:26:30 PM »

How about we add:

My Twin
Lethean
Racing Heart
Opaline

Yeah, those work too.  I was partially trying to tap into soupy's power metal and folk sides, to the extent that Katatonia does them. 
I guess you could call Behind the Blood somewhat kinda related to power metal...

I think both sets of recommendations are good, but...

Well, I could keep adding things all day and just tell him to listen to their entire discography.   :D   
Sounds like a plan to me... :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #473 on: October 30, 2023, 06:35:32 PM »

I was going more for songs that, while accessible, are a little more representative of Katatonia's style as a whole  :)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #474 on: November 01, 2023, 08:00:04 AM »
Hmm, this is a tricky one.  Even after leaving behind the extreme metal of their first few albums, they're still much, much darker and heavier than most of what you seem to like.  But give these a go.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3xwFPVlacz7SL1xK2nKuj3?si=c2230ffe3e204e56

"Behind the Blood"
"Omerta"
"The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here"
"Idle Blood"
"Serac"

Thanks (and for everyone else who posted after).  I haven't forgotten, I'll be checking them out on Saturday - and will report back.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
I was going more for songs that, while accessible, are a little more representative of Katatonia's style as a whole  :)

Well, although I'd be happy to be surprised, I don't know if their normal style is going to particularly up his alley.  Sometimes it's easier to transition them in from particular angles that emphasis certain aspects of their side. 

And "Opaline" to me is actually a little unusual for them, more straightforward, "dancier", and the horns in the intro are extremely uncommon for their sound.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 09:37:15 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2023, 09:36:41 AM »

Well, although I'd be happy to be surprised, I don't know if their normal style is going to particularly up his alley.  Sometimes it's easier to transition them in from particular angles that emphasis certain aspects of their side. 

And "Opaline" to me is actually a little unusual for them to me, more straightforward, "dancier", and the horns in the intro are extremely uncommon for their sound.

Yep, totally agree on Opaline. That one I picked because it’s so catchy and I love it :)

I was just thinking that, if you were to listen to Omerta and Idle Blood (as great as they are), you’d probably get a very specific side of their sound that doesn’t characterize a ton of their songs (other than the fact that, well, they are melancholic)

I might well be wrong, though, and it doesn’t matter anyway…any Katatonia is good stuff ;)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #477 on: November 01, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »
I feel like just about anything they do kind of becomes their style, if that makes sense.  They just add to it and expand it a little bit.  So in a way I think you can recommend anything you think someone would like and it could be a door or window into the rest if they're open to walking through.

Opaline is different but it also sounds perfectly like Katatonia to me.  It's the same with Behind the Blood.  They did something different for them but made it sound natural and like them

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #478 on: November 01, 2023, 11:20:09 AM »
I might be getting a little ahead of myself, because I have a draft of some thoughts on City Burials that I need to organize better and post tonight or tomorrow, but I'm surprised that I wound up adding three songs (and probably could have almost justified a fourth) from it to my Katatonia showcase playlist from a couple days ago.  That basically three decades into their career they're still adding new dimensions to their sound isn't that common.  I hear a lot from non-fans that they've basically been writing the same album for a decade or two now, and on one level I can understand that, they've kind of "found their sound" for awhile now, but they keep morphing and expanding it gradually over time. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #479 on: November 01, 2023, 12:33:18 PM »
People say that about a lot of bands that they don't listen to.  People say it about DT (which I find a bit ridiculous).  Even fans do, or maybe former fans (though they might make an exception for The Astonishing).  I'm sure it applies to some bands more than others but I don't think it can be said of Katatonia if you're really listening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #480 on: November 01, 2023, 04:01:39 PM »
I think sometimes it's worse for bands who dabble in the "progressive" movement.  There are some philosophical differences over what that term implies, and on the extreme end some people basically think it means inventing a new genre every album, and if a band doesn't do that they're looked upon less favorably. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »
Wanted to share my thoughts on City Burials.

I was definitely excited that thankfully, the hiatus that was announced was coming to an end and a new album was announced.  I can remember hearing Lacquer when it was first released and not totally loving it.  That song has since grown on me quite a bit, but they interestingly chose one of the more mellow, electronic driven songs for the first single.  I remember reading some of the early promo material talking about a bit of old-school metal in a song, and once Behind the Blood came, I was pretty excited.  City Burials is probably their most mellow record, but still has plenty of songs with that metallic-edge that they are known for.  The big thing worth mentioning is the fact that it was all Jonas in the songwriting dept on this one.  Much like another album that he wrote most of, Night is the New Day, we see the return of quite a lot of electronics, soundscapes, synths, and drum machines in places.  The songs are shorter than what was on the Fall of Hearts.  I hear a bit more of a proggy, post-rock influence in a lot of places.  The production on this record is top notch.  Special shout out to the bass on this record.  The bass sounds especially solid on City Burials.  I love the cover art on this one, and I'd rank it 3rd, behind Tonight's Decision and NITND, as my favorite cover art from the band.   

Behind the Blood was clearly the song that I gravitated to first.  Roger brings the killer, shreddy leads to this dark banger that has some classic metallic riffing.  I love how Heart Set to Divide opens with vocals and eventually the guitars come in with that awesome descending main riff.  Lacquer ups the electronics, and has a great vocal from Jonas.  This song definitely grew on me over time.  "Dreamlike" is a great description for it.  Winter of Our Passing definitely has traditional first single feeling to it, and I definitely agree on the Dead End Kings vibes.  It's a solid, shorter, and melodic Katationia track.  I think City Glaciers is my favorite thing here.  I love the atmospheric, post-rock vibe of this track.  I especially love how everything drops out, but the keys and ambience for the 2nd part of the 1st verse, until everything comes crashing back in for the chorus.  Flicker is another highlight, and I especially love the delay and reverb drenched guitar solo in the back half of the song.  Right after that is a neat synth solo as well.  These fit the vibe of that song perfectly.  I think Lachesis as an interlude that breaks up Flicker and Neon Epitaph works well.  Neon Epitaph brings some of that Tool-y groove that they employ, and is another great track.  Untrodden closes out the album solidly as well.  I love the instrumental part of the 2nd verse.  The drums and bass lock in with that clean delay guitar lick on top.  Roger shines with a nice melodic lead.  Closing of the Sky is another solid bonus track that could make the album proper.

Overall this is another solid release from the band.  I'm not super big on Vanishers, and while I like that repetetive, almost bluesy lick that starts at the intro, I see Rein as one of the lesser songs as well.  I'd put this record about middle of the pack where it can fight with Dead End Kings to see what's on top of what.  Still this is a great album that sits just underneat their top tier records.   

Offline billboy73

« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2023, 01:19:02 PM »
Might as well go ahead and do a ranking as well (as of right now):

Night is the New Day
Viva Emptiness
The Great Cold Distance
The Fall of Hearts
Dead End Kings
City Burials
Discouraged Ones
Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Brave Murder Day
Tonight's Decision
Dance of December Souls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2023, 05:25:01 PM »
City Burials Opening Thoughts, Standout Tracks & Singles:

*As usual, I wrote all this without reading the other album-specific comments.  I'll read through those later and comment if needed. 

*City Burials came out at a really weird time.  It was a month into the pandemic, and nothing felt right in the world.  Nothing.  I had retreated back into the online space (kind of still there, really), and while I gave it a listen and casually liked it, I wasn't in the mood for it at all for a few months.  As I talked about more in-depth for The Fall of Hearts, I was still skeptical about Moilanen and was far from over Liljekvist leaving.  But as the end of the year started approaching and I was working on best of the year lists, I knew it wouldn't be right to not at least give it more of a chance, so I did.  It was growing on me and it did wind up in my top 10, though honestly it felt kind of like forcing it a bit even though I did like it. 

*Early in '21, with the pressure of year-end lists over, I was able to relax a bit more and appreciate it more than before.  In particular, "Heart Set To Divide", which had already been the standout track for me, became kind of an obsession, and it has become one of my favorite songs of theirs.  It has one of their most atmospheric intros (I love those chords ringing out at 1:08), and at 1:40 might be my favorite riff they've ever written.  Overall it just sums up so well a lot of the vibe I like about them, how they can so effortlessly synthesize heaviness and subtle complexity, all while oozing ambiance. 

*Just in general, for me they have an unparalleled way of integrating metallic elements (chunky riffs, solos, double bass drumming), keyboards, other atmospheric components (sometimes from synthesizers, sometimes from guitars, sometimes light symphonic orchestration), acoustic parts (sometimes guitars, percussion at times), and memorable songwriting and melodies.  More on some of that later...  They don't touch on quite as many genres as Opeth often seamlessly and naturally does, but they have a more diverse sound palette. 

*"Untrodden" was the other early standout.  I especially love the muted but delayed clean guitar motif in the second verse and how it interacts with the electric piano.  Plus, it contains easily one of the best solos they'd ever had later on from Öjersson. 

*As "Behind the Blood" was one of the first singles, it was a bit of a surprising diversion for them.  It definitely has more an 80s Judas Priest flavor than much of anything they've ever done, with maybe a hint of Yngwie in the solos.  Certainly not the sort of song I'd have expected them to do prior to Eriksson and then Öjersson raising the level of technical capability in the band.  I think at the time it came out I'd completely forgotten they'd done their cover of Priest's "Night Comes Down", so clearly that tip of the hat filtered a bit into their songwriting for this album.  If they tuned back up to standard, had a more retro-style production, and a more traditional metal vocalist it would be even more obvious.  This is definitely the song I'm most curious to get TAC's opinion of. 

*Like Night Is the New Day, this is another album of theirs essentially just written by Jonas.  And it still sounds like them.  I'm kind of curious at this point how an album by them solely written by Anders would sound.  Potentially quite different given earlier projects of his like Diabolical Masquerade. 

*This might be the lightest album they've done.  Fewer heavy songs, and the moments of more sonically tense material seem spread out a bit more than ever. 

Vocals:

*Lacquer" to me is Jonas' greatest vocal performance he's ever done.  3:19 on "the house we lived in" I think is the highest note I've heard him hit.  He is not normally the sort of vocalist you listen to in order to hear an enormous range of notes and techniques - it's more about the vibe, and for me the contrast of how calm his voice is over the heavier riffs, but the melodies and nuance on this song are unusually dexterous for him.  I also love the vocal doubling he does in the second verse an octave below the main melody.  And then he adds a higher harmony on top of that.  Plus, at 2:36 the backing vocals are adding some independent lines as well.  I think Jonas' vocal harmonies and layering in general are a quite underrated and underdiscussed part of their sound. 

*"Vanishers" is probably the song that has grown on me the most while going through the process of writing this.  Prior to Lethean starting this thread it was just another good song of theirs that didn't especially stand out - other than being kind of a sequel to "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" from Dead End Kings, which had the duet with Silje Wergeland from The Gathering and Octavia Sperati.  That's still the superior song, but this one really has come alive now because I'm more accustomed to guest Anni Bernhard's vocals.  I'd never gotten around to checking out her band Full of Keys before, and Lethean managed to sneak them into a round of my roulette.  After the round I listened to all their albums, so I now have a much greater appreciation for this song. 

*There's no credit for it, but I'm wondering if Anni is also doing some of the high harmonies on "City Glaciers" uncredited.  Some of them don't sound like Jonas. 

Guitars & Bass:

*I've already mentioned "Untrodden" and "Behind the Blood", but "Fighters" also stands out as having another excellent guitar solo from Roger. 

*I don't recall hearing any acoustic guitars on the album.  I think I was spoiled with hearing more of them on The Fall of Hearts, so their absence is felt here. 

*"Rein" has one of their most overtly bluesy sounding riffs with that slide guitar motif, though it's still going through the Katatonia mood morpher.  "City Glaciers" and "Neon Epitaph" also have a dash of that. 

*Anders being less involved in the creation process of this album and the result makes me think that Jonas is more of the big picture songwriter, and Anders tends to fill in more details and enhance the songs texturally.  Not that those details are completely absent, but it just feels slightly less layered than usual.  There aren't quite as many standout moments here as some other albums playing or tone-wise, and some of the ones I do mention are clearly from Roger. 

*The biggest exception is the 2-3 minute range of "Rein".  Those are some great tones there, both clean and the swirling lead parts. 

*Tying in a couple points here, if you'd asked me before Dead End Kings if Katatonia could benefit from adding a guitar shredder like Opeth did with Åkesson, I'm not sure what I would have said, but I might have been more skeptical.  Serendipitously, it works out quite well, adding a bit of flair in certain spots, while still not overtaking their moodier approach overall. 

*I remember on The Fall of Hearts looking at my notes and it being conspicuous that I didn't have much of anything to say about the bass.  This time I'm hearing more bass in the mix on this album.  I'm not sure if the level is higher or Niklas just has a more cutting tone this time. 

Drums:

*"Untrodden" around 0:44 and other sections has that offbeat 6/8 cymbal pattern that Liljekvist did a number of times, though it doesn't feel like it has as much impact to it.  He might be just hitting the bow of the cymbal rather than the bell, or has a less prominent one than Liljekvist.  He does do it on the China towards the end of the song, so maybe it's still a feel or mixing difference. 

*I don't recall any percussion on this album.  That was part of what gave a bit of extra spark to Viva Emptiness and The Fall of Heart, so I miss it here. 

Keyboards:

*3:50 of "Flicker" has a synth solo of sorts, which is rather uncommon for them, but is certainly a welcome addition to their sound. 

*I like the synth pattern at 2:10 in "Fighters". 

Final Thoughts:

*Again I was worried how much I'd have to say about this one, but somehow getting in the process of writing always winds up generating more ideas than I thought I'd initially have.  Maybe it's less than some other albums of theirs, but it seems sufficient. 

*Overall, still to this day, this is possibly my least-listened album of theirs other than Dance of December Souls.  Going through this process is definitely going to start evening that disparity out a bit now. 

*I'll probably wait 'til after I do Sky Void of Stars, but I'm not sure this album is going to budge in its position in their discography for me yet.  Part of that is what's not on the album rather than what's on it.  Arguably smaller, subtle things, but the lack of acoustic guitar, percussion, and less of Anders' musical input in the writing process might hold it back a bit. 

Favorite Songs:  "Heart Set To Divide", "Untrodden", "Lacquer", "Vanishers"
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:06:27 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2023, 10:16:59 PM »
A few more notes I meant to post a day or two ago after I read the other comments on CB:

*I don't think I realized that "Fighters" was a cover.  I hadn't suspected it wasn't their own.  It's a fascinating listen to hear them back to back, in ways they're rather similar, and in others quite different. 

*I'm unsure if I'd heard the bonus track "Closing of the Sky" before.  It's not on all the bonus track versions, and I certainly wasn't overly familiar with it.  "Echo the labour" has his second highest note that I can recall, so it's more evidence of him stretching himself on this album more than previous ones.  Cool solo after that section too. 

*I meant to note that I view "Lacquer" as kind of an equivalent of Opeth's "Hours of Wealth" for me.  It's my favorite vocal performance of both of theirs.  People would say things like Åkerfeldt keeps improving his vocals album after album, and it's possible on the whole for that to be accurate, but that specific song has never been topped for me.  Whereas with Jonas, since "Lacquer" comes relatively later in their career, I'm skeptical that he'll be able to do so given that most vocalists start declining more rapidly at some point, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. 

*"Rein" continues to grow on me, with the uniqueness of that riff, and the brilliance of the guitar tones in the mellower middle section.  It should probably be on my favorite songs of the album section now. 

*I was pondering how there seems to be less piano on the album as well compared to TFoH, but at least there is some in "City Glaciers", which I had initially forgotten about. 

*The solo on "Flicker" is starting to stand out more now. 

*There are also backing vocals on "Winter of Our Passing" that I wonder if are from Anni rather than Jonas. 

*I'm not sure I'd noticed how Tool-like the riff in "Neon Epitaph" is, but now it seems incredibly obvious. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 10:27:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2023, 01:37:40 PM »
Confused myself thinking my entire conversation about asking for some songs to listen too had been wiped - till I realised there are two Katatonia threads ATM 😄

Ok so I created a playlist of the 11 tracks recommended by various people - thanks all.

So I liked all the tracks, certainly nothing lower than 6/10 - enjoyable listen.  However the only song I loved (this is after 2 listens) is Opaline for me that is the standout, really loved it.  I also think 'Shifts' could be a grow into a another great one.  Racing Heart, Lethean and Behind the Blood probably the best of the rest.

Think I'd like to take a couple of their albums out for a spin, any recs based on the above?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2023, 01:41:33 PM »
Well, two of those tracks are on Dead End Kings, which just happens to be the favorite album of Lethean and I, Evermind too maybe?, so perhaps give that one a go.  The others aren't necessarily representative of the albums they're on, so it's difficult to say for sure about a second one, I'll see if Lethean has a theory.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2023, 01:54:28 PM »
Considering that I just saw Dead End Kings in its entirety and my jet lagged self is still giddy about it, I'm going to second that recommendation.  :)

For me, getting into the album was kind of one song at a time. (Lethean was first and will always be special to me because of it). So I would say that if you merely like a couple of the songs after two listens, it's a great start and could become something more.

On a separate note: Litho - not gonna lie, I expected more from you. (More timestamps, that is.) ;)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #488 on: November 09, 2023, 12:02:33 AM »
So I gave the City Burials album a listen again for the first time in about a year and I still feel like it's a big step down from The Fall of Hearts, which was an amazing album. Still, City Burials is a solid album, it just becomes a little too samey in parts.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #489 on: November 09, 2023, 12:51:40 AM »
It's cool if you don't like it as much as The Fall of Hearts.  :) But it's more than solid.  It's magical.  It's beautiful.  And emotional and all the good things that Katatonia is. 

Which is just an opinion I suppose but I think it's really a secret fact that you've yet to uncover. :)