Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 22629 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Brave Murder Day (1996)
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 07:06:49 PM »
As for where BMD stands for me: it has a very special place in my music journey, for sure. It still stands very tall among Katatonia records, even just for that reason, but also (and most importantly) because, well, I love the music in it. That said, Katatonia is a very different band now, and I do prefer a good number of their subsequent albums to this one...but we will get to that soon enough  :)

Actually, you know what? I'm not so sure about my own bolded statement...I mean, there are two Katatonia albums that are firmly at the top for me, but then there are a few that battle it out for third spot...and BMD is a legitimate contender...

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Dance of December Souls (1993)
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2022, 11:20:22 PM »
I didn't listen to it last week when it was first mentioned. I don't think I did.  :lol

Um ...

Scarlet Heavens Total Gothic vibe which I have a big secret spot for. Has an 80's feel to it. The production on the drums hurts it a bit. The double bass still feels a little off. A tad long, but I totally like this song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2022, 01:32:01 PM »
:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »
 :lol

So, what is it? First or second impression?  :biggrin:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2022, 02:56:03 PM »
He can listen to it again this week and give a third impression, since it's on some of the versions of it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2022, 03:08:03 PM »

There's been a lot to chew on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2022, 08:24:21 AM »
Discouraged Ones

Recorded July-August 1997 at Sunlight Studio.  Released April 1998 on Avantgarde Music. 

Tracklist:

1. I Break - 4:21
2. Stalemate - 4:19
3. Deadhouse - 4:35
4. Relention - 3:37
5. Cold Ways - 5:20
6. Gone - 2:47
7. Last Resort - 4:35
8. Nerve - 4:30
9. Saw You Drown - 5:02
10. Instrumental - 2:50
11. Distrust - 4:55
(12. Quiet World - 4.39)

Total Track Time - 46:51

Lineup:

Jonas Renkse - lead vocals, drums, guitars, bass, songwriting, lyrics
Anders Nystrom - lead guitars, keyboards, bass, backing vocals, songwriting, lyrics
Fredrik Norrman - rhythm guitars
Micke Oretoft - bass
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) - backing vocals, vocal production

Tomas Skogsberg - engineering/mixing
Fred Etsby - engineering

*This might be my favorite cover art of theirs.  Is it a person?  Is it a bird?  Maybe both?  An angel?  It's just so visually stunning and mesmerizing, and I might like the darker, color palette-reversed version even better. 

*Here's the photo I mentioned last week about Jonas wearing a Slowdive shirt, as they were a heavy influence on the band in this era.  Also notice the hair styling, not so "metal" now.

*This signaled a major shift in Katatonia's sound, with Jonas now only singing clean vocals.  They're really going for it with the first appearance of not just melodies, but vocal harmonies in some songs as well, mostly sung by Anders.  Anders is actually doing the lead vocal in the chorus of "I Break", with Akerfeldt singing the harmony line.  Overall, Jonas is still clearly inexperienced with clean vocals, and only hints at what is to come later.  "Cold Ways" is probably the roughest vocal performance on the album. 

*To further answer one of TAC's questions from last week, in the liner notes they did discuss the idea of hiring a harsh vocalist after BMD, since Akerfeldt was too committed to Opeth to join full-time, but were uncomfortable with the idea

*The interesting thing is that their overall style to me hasn't actually radically shifted all that much.  Even some people who tend to overly focus on guitar riffs as what determine a style seem to consider this substantially different, which I don't really agree with.  The general types of chords and melodies, repetitive riffing style, and rhythm section patterns are pretty similar.  Lots of straight-ahead driving grooves with 8th notes on bass, cymbals and guitars, simple kick patterns on 1 and 3, and the shoegazey guitars.  It's mainly the streamlining of the tracks (generally a few minutes shorter) and vocals that are really different.  Maybe a bit less melody in the guitar parts and more power chords to make room for melodic vocals, but there are still a lot of melodic guitar bits.  Also, no double bass drumming.  Nevertheless, many of these songs, if you take the core of them, and swap Akerfeldt for Renkse, sound like they could be condensed BMD B-sides. 

*This definitely has the most feel of The Cure gone heavy to me.  Apparently in the studio Fred Etsby said they now sounded like The Cranberries. 

*This was Jonas' last album on drums.  I think I neglected to mention this last week, but Jonas had talked about around when BMD came out that he didn't really have the opportunity to practice, so his drumming had stagnated.  It sounds to me like he eventually found some time to practice, or just spent more time in-studio working on and recording his parts, because they come across a bit less stiff to me, and there are some cooler fills in tracks like "I Break" and "Distrust" than on the earlier albums. 

*They were starting to look for a full-time drummer at this point, putting up ads, and were intentionally looking to avoid double bass-heavy players.  None they interviewed had the personality they were looking for though. 

*This would be the only full-album new bassist Oretoft would play on.  His parts are a bit more prominent in the mix than Anders' were on BMD, including a bass intro on "Relention", and occasional tasty fills here and there. 

*There's another relatively rare sample in "Deadhouse", of a whale call

*The last guitar lick in "Relention" and possibly one other one that I can't seem to find now mark the emergence of a signature style of part that Anders would keep returning to on later albums

*Over time "Gone" has become one of my absolute favorite songs.  That droning guitar line in the opening sounds like a heartbeat flatlining, the semi-clean guitar tone just has this decayed feel to it, and it's easily the most doomy track on the album.  Jonas' vocals still have that amateur feel to them here as well, but for whatever reason they don't bug me like "Cold Ways" sometimes does, they're more endearing on this track and a few others like "Saw You Drown" or "Quiet World".  Anders considers the latter song as belonging to this album even if it didn't come on the original album.  It was recorded in the same sessions and came on the Saw You Drown album teaser EP. 

*"Last Resort" has a really nostalgic feel for me, with those really haunting melodic guitar lines and harmonies.  It brings me back to when I felt like the only person on campus who knew about this hidden marvelous world of European metal, though I'm sure it objectively wasn't true and I was just meeting the wrong people, albeit was still incredibly niche. 

*People always think of Opeth as the proggier band, but "Instrumental" feels like Akerfeldt must have adored this song, because he wrote a bunch of passages in 00s Opeth songs that have a similar vibe to this, with the arpeggiated/fingerpicked guitar lines, Mellotron keyboard parts, and melodic guitar soloing

*Further on "Instrumental", I always find it fascinating that even though I grew up listening to a ton of glam, power, prog, and neoclassical metal with shred guitar, and still appreciate that ferocity at times, I settled into liking these bands that have more attainable, non-virtuosic playing, Katatonia, Opeth, or even someone like In Flames being good examples.  Nothing here that an advanced intermediate player couldn't handle, but it just works so well. 

*"Distrust", and again, "Instrumental", are two of the better examples of how they're sounding more like a two-guitar band with the dueling solos, though I haven't yet found anything indicating whether Anders is playing both or if Frederik was playing more than just the credited "rhythm guitar"

*They didn't tour at all for this album.  The reception was very mixed at the time.  I suppose the album title was more apt than they realized.  It began what became an era split in their fanbase.  This was the period when it was becoming extremely common for formerly extreme metal bands to experiment with other styles (they specifically cite Paradise Lost and Tiamat, but of course there are countless others), but it seems like people weren't quite taking to them yet.  They were supposed to perform a gig in Norway, and recruited Anders Nordin, the drummer from Opeth's first two albums, who rehearsed with them, but had to back out at the last minute and they didn't play the show. 

*However, they did start receiving attention from larger labels, including Peaceville and Earache, who both expressed interest in signing them.  As they were huge fans of numerous bands on Peaceville, they signed with them.  I remember when I was getting into Katatonia I started hearing about "The Peaceville Three", who at the time I wanted to be Katatonia, Opeth, and Sentenced.  Which retrospectively doesn't make sense since Sentenced was never on Peaceville Records.  The actual Peaceville three of course were Paradise Lost, Anathema, and My Dying Bride, but I didn't get into any of them until later. 

Favorite Songs - "Gone", "Quiet World", "Stalemate" (what a moody bridge that one has!), "Last Resort"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:13:26 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2022, 09:12:18 AM »
Some real nice tidbits here.

I'll be listening either tonight or tomorrow, but I already heard the back half of the album due to last weeks post.

I could definitely hear The Cure influence then. I'm not too into The Cure, so this should be interesting. I'll go I with an open mind but expecting to like this slightly less than the previous albums  :corn

Offline Lethean

Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Discouraged Ones (1998)
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2022, 11:21:08 AM »
When I first heard this album, I didn't expect I'd come to like it as much as I do.  It's still my least favorite of their clean vocal albums, but while I was at first only interested because I wanted to hear how they'd evolved, I came to like it in it's own right. 

Cold Ways is actually one of my favorite tracks.  I will admit that this could be influenced by a live version that we'll get to later, but even on the original, there's something about it.  Something like magic in the verses and I love the lyrics. 

Other favorites that are not on the Saw You Drown EP are Deadhouse and Distrust.  And I love Instrumental.

Saw You Drown and Quiet World are favorites as well. 

The title was definitely fitting for the band at the time.  They were struggling to find a stable lineup.  Anders was also struggling at this time but said it was a very creative period for him and he wrote the material for Sounds of Decay and Discouraged Ones one after the other. Then it got worse as Litho mentioned and the title was even more apt. They believed in the album, but a lot of fans jumped ship and they didn't manage to do any shows.  They'd found another rehearsal space and rehearsed a lot in preparation for the nonexistent shows, which of course was good in the long run, but then that got shut down too.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2022, 02:08:30 PM »
Ah, Discouraged Ones...I have a real soft spot for this one. First album bought "in real time" as a fan. I wasn't at all disappointed by the change in sound. If anything, given that I wasn't too much into more extreme styles of metal (including harsh vocals) at the time, the clean vocals were more than welcome. Like I said before, I had loved BMD, but this foray into more explicitly "sad" music was even more in line with my taste.

I agree with Litho's observation that there are songs on this record that, with a different sound and singer, wouldn't have been out of place on BMD. The relatively straightforward drumming and the riffing style was very much "Katatonia" - I'm thinking especially I Break, Deadhouse and Relention, which also happen to be among my favorites here. The one-two punch of Deadhouse and Relention, in particular. Yes, they are very, very simple songs in structure, but the main riffs (in both) are genius in their simplicity, for me. They are so poppy and melancholic, at the same time. They really hit the right notes.

Anyway, other than the differences in sound, Discouraged Ones certainly does introduce new elements too. Agree on The Cure, and generally a more "alternative" influence. Cold Ways does all of this beautifully...the coda, in particular, is so good, with the subtle guitar lead line creeping in. Not particularly bothered by the vocals in it, to be honest. Gone is great, and perhaps the most doom-y song in this collection. Not particularly heavy, per se, but with a real dreary mood. It's not hugely different from some of the stuff that Anathema were doing on their Eternity album.

But, really, I love this record, beyond the "nostalgia" element. I do find it is pretty unique within Katatonia's discography, overall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2022, 02:31:37 PM »
So I confuse.
Is this a new album with the Saw You Drown EP added to the end? Or are the Saw You Down tracks rerecorded?

I didn't see SYD on Spotify, but I did see the songs listed on the Discouraged Ones, which is on Spotify and that is what I listened to for those songs.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
So I confuse.
Is this a new album with the Saw You Drown EP added to the end? Or are the Saw You Down tracks rerecorded?

I didn't see SYD on Spotify, but I did see the songs listed on the Discouraged Ones, which is on Spotify and that is what I listened to for those songs.

The original release of Discouraged Ones had Distrust as the last song (the album did contain two songs that were in the Saw You Drown EP, i.e. the title-track and Nerve...to be honest, I don't know if they re-recorded them for the album). The re-release of DO added the remaining songs from the EP (Quiet World and Scarlet Heavens)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2022, 03:01:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Discouraged Ones was recorded all in one session with Skogsberg at Sunlight Studio, including "Saw You Drown", "Nerve", and "Quiet World".  They just released those tracks early as part of the Saw You Drown EP, along with "Scarlet Heavens", which was recorded in a separate session earlier with Swano at Unisound. 

Gothic rock bands have always been a big part of their influence, and I think at the time they recorded "Scarlet Heavens" they contemplated continuing along that path (I believe Anders wrote a few others in that vein that didn't get recorded), but ultimately they decided against it and kept it as more of an undercurrent to their sonic potpourri rather than the primary focus. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
*This was Jonas' last album on drums.  I think I neglected to mention this last week, but Jonas had talked about around when BMD came out that he didn't really have the opportunity to practice, so his drumming had stagnated.

Well, this is good to hear because the drumming hasn't been that great so far.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
Just wait 'til Liljekvist gets in the band.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
Lil' Jekvist? Sounds like a Swedish rapper.  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »
Hmm, I guess if he ever wants a second music career....

And again to the gothic rock influence, some of the straightforward bands of that type didn't even have a drummer on their recordings, they just used a drum machine, so naturally that's going to lend itself to pretty unadorned playing, and Jonas isn't stretching too far away from that for the most part, just adding some of the extreme metal double bass elements in the early days. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2022, 03:22:12 PM »
I think the simple drumming on Brave and Murder were pretty solid. It was the double kicks and some of the transitions that I thought were a bit iffy.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2022, 03:23:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure Discouraged Ones was recorded all in one session with Skogsberg at Sunlight Studio, including "Saw You Drown", "Nerve", and "Quiet World".  They just released those tracks early as part of the Saw You Drown EP, along with "Scarlet Heavens", which was recorded in a separate session earlier with Swano at Unisound. 
I don't know if this is completely accurate but the Wikipedia page for Saw You Drown has Quiet World being recorded during the same session as Sounds of Decay.

Gothic rock bands have always been a big part of their influence, and I think at the time they recorded "Scarlet Heavens" they contemplated continuing along that path (I believe Anders wrote a few others in that vein that didn't get recorded), but ultimately they decided against it and kept it as more of an undercurrent to their sonic potpourri rather than the primary focus.
Yes.  Anders had written some material when they had kind of split but Jonas didn't really want to go in that direction and Brave Murder Day is where they went instead.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2022, 05:05:35 PM »
Ah, Discouraged Ones...I have a real soft spot for this one. First album bought "in real time" as a fan. I wasn't at all disappointed by the change in sound. If anything, given that I wasn't too much into more extreme styles of metal (including harsh vocals) at the time, the clean vocals were more than welcome. Like I said before, I had loved BMD, but this foray into more explicitly "sad" music was even more in line with my taste.

I agree with Litho's observation that there are songs on this record that, with a different sound and singer, wouldn't have been out of place on BMD. The relatively straightforward drumming and the riffing style was very much "Katatonia" - I'm thinking especially I Break, Deadhouse and Relention, which also happen to be among my favorites here. The one-two punch of Deadhouse and Relention, in particular. Yes, they are very, very simple songs in structure, but the main riffs (in both) are genius in their simplicity, for me. They are so poppy and melancholic, at the same time. They really hit the right notes.
I agree with both of your observations here. 

Anyway, other than the differences in sound, Discouraged Ones certainly does introduce new elements too. Agree on The Cure, and generally a more "alternative" influence. Cold Ways does all of this beautifully...the coda, in particular, is so good, with the subtle guitar lead line creeping in. Not particularly bothered by the vocals in it, to be honest.
I'm kind of in between on the vocals. I'm pretty certain that if just about any song on this album had been my first taste of Katatonia, I would have moved on.  And the vocals would have been the main reason.  (But musically it also doesn't sound like anything I'd have been listening to either.) My first impression of the vocals was that they were kind of bad, and perhaps they are, but I've found a certain charm to them and it allowed me to continue and appreciate the music as well.

But, really, I love this record, beyond the "nostalgia" element. I do find it is pretty unique within Katatonia's discography, overall.

How do you rank it against the first two?  Maybe we should rank the albums as we go along?

For me so far, it's:
  • Discouraged Ones
  • Dance of December Souls
  • Brave Murder Day

Will be curious to see how TAC and twosuitsluke rank them as we go along and if their rankings change after a second or third listen compared to the first.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2022, 05:38:22 PM »
Wait...I have to listen to them more than once?? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2022, 06:00:53 PM »
Why not, you already listened to one twice and didn't even notice.  :p

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2022, 06:01:55 PM »
 :lol  That's true!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2022, 06:03:53 PM »
Wait...I have to listen to them more than once?? :lol
No.  That's what I'd do, because I need more than one listen to really absorb new music. And to see if something might grow on me. But you're not required. :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »
Why not, you already listened to one twice and didn't even notice.  :p

:lol  That's true!

How do you rank it against the first two?  Maybe we should rank the albums as we go along?

For me so far, it's:
  • Discouraged Ones
  • Dance of December Souls
  • Brave Murder Day

Mmmh, I think I'd go with:

1) Brave Murder Day
2) Discouraged Ones
3) Dance of December Souls

Although while I'm sure about Dance..., BMD might be over DO by just a smidge...it's something that might well depend on the mood  ;)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »
So far it's identical to how I ranked them in our pre-runthrough discussion.

1 - Discouraged Ones
2 - Brave Murder Day
3 - Dance of December Souls

It'll be interesting to see if there are significant leaps as I think about each one more.  The order tends to fluctuate mildly a lot anyway, depending upon what I've been in the mood for at any given point. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2022, 06:32:18 PM »
OK, once I get through Discouraged Ones, I'll post a standings.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2022, 06:41:21 PM »
Just wait 'til Liljekvist gets in the band.  ;)

Love Liljekvist's drumming! Very unique, and a big part of Katatonia's sound in the albums he played on...

Offline billboy73

« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2022, 08:55:36 AM »
Okay, was super busy last week, so I didn't get to comment on Brave Murder Day.  It was the first album I heard from the band in the late 90's.  I really liked it then and I really enjoy it now.  Mikael's vocals are some of his best growls.  The guitars drive the songs with hypnotic riffs, and the eerie guitar melodies are really awesome in parts.  12 is more of a throwback to the first album, as it is based on a earlier song, and Endtime is a little clunky.  The rest of the album is solid, with Murder being my favorite track.  Day is quite interesting, but the production is weird.  The live version on Sanctitude really gives you an idea of how good the song is, and obviously, Jonas sings it way better.  Overall, a really enjoyable album that I revisit often.

Discouraged Ones has a charm about it that just draws me in.  It all just sounds so dreary.  As mentioned, a lot of the riffing is a continuation of the sound on BMD, with some of those dark guitar melodies as well.  There is more of an alternative rock sheen than BMD.  I think Jonas learning how to use his clean vocals and being new at coming up with vocal melodies adds to the charm of this album.  Melancholy abounds here, and the production really adds to that.  The standout track for me is Saw You Drown.  This is one of the most bleak and dreary songs I have heard, and it happens to be one of my overall favorite Katatonia songs.  Every track is solid though, and I don't dislike anything here.  I definitely revisit this one often.  It's kind of an oddball in their discography, but like I said it just has a certain charm, and I can't help but rate it highly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 09:01:06 AM by billboy73 »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »
I don't really hear much The Cure in this one, maybe if I did I would like it more. In terms of direction this definitely feels like the first Katatonia album you could connect to the most recent ones and hear at least some elements of the same band, but a lot of it is kinda sloppily executed IMO. Jonas vocals are pretty bland and he gets a lot better as time goes on. I think Discouraged Ones is decent but the melodies aren't super strong or memorable, the singing is kinda bland (doesn't feel like Jonas is confident in his ability yet) and they're trying to find their sound.

1. Brave Murder Day
2. Discouraged Ones
3. Dance of December Souls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
I don't really hear much The Cure in this one, maybe if I did I would like it more.

You don't notice any resemblance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrqsNgRa9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI1FNtiODH4
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 11:11:45 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »
I don't really hear much The Cure in this one, maybe if I did I would like it more.

You don't notice any resemblance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrqsNgRa9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI1FNtiODH4&

Maybe very vaguely but similar to how you can hear a Beatles influence in a lot of music. I actually do like Discouraged Ones and I don't think it's a bad album at all, but putting it up to anything from Pornography by The Cure is a bit like that meme 'we don't need X we have Y at home' :P

The artwork is pretty cool though and even though I rate Brave Murder Day higher, I still think this feels like the first 'proper' Katatonia album in many ways. I almost look at the first two like a different project because they feel so detached to the current band while this album feels like a foundation pillar or something by comparison.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
It's just that you're the first person I've ever recalled denying the influence.  I'm sure there are others, you're just the first I've come across.  :p

I'm tempted to say either LFDGD or VE feel like the first "real" Katatonia album, but I guess we'll see early next month. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2022, 11:33:28 AM »
It's just that you're the first person I've ever recalled denying the influence.  I'm sure there are others, you're just the first I've come across.  :p

I'm tempted to say either LFDGD or VE feel like the first "real" Katatonia album, but I guess we'll see early next month.

Yeah those albums pretty much take this sort of sound and streamline it into much closer what we have today I agree with that.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
And then NitND sort of feels like where "current" Katatonia begins, but then we really get into eras, and there are probably as many ways to split them up as there are people splitting them up.