Author Topic: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)  (Read 22488 times)

Offline Lethean

Katatonia Discography Discussion: Sky Void of Stars (2023)
« on: October 29, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »
Welcome everyone. :)  LithoJazzoSphere and I are co hosting this Katatonia discography discussion thread. For those who don’t know anything about Katatonia at all, they’re a metal (ish) band from Sweden. Their promo materials in the past have referred to them as “the Swedish purveyors of dark progressive rock/metal” and I think that’s a great description, though their origins are a bit different.

Jingle.boy’s rules/guidelines for these threads indicate to let everyone know why we’re qualified to lead the discussion.  We’ve both already posted in the tracker thread, but I’ll expand briefly on mine here.  Aside from having their entire discography including EPs, b-sides, etc, and seeing them live a number of times, including traveling to Europe once to see them… Katatonia is one of those life-changing bands for me.  I don’t mean that I heard them and quit my job and moved to LA or something like that.  Just that - well, I know what I mean by it.  :)  Rush and Dream Theater were definitely bands like that for me.  But with Katatonia it’s yet a different experience than anything else.  I'll expand on it more in later posts, but I’m very excited to help lead this discussion and hear what other fans have to say and hopefully introduce some new listeners to the band.

Why should you participate?  It'll be fun.  If you're already a fan, we can talk about each album from the beginning. If Katatonia is a band you've been meaning to check out or further explore, this will be a perfect opportunity.  And if you're indifferent, maybe, hopefully, you'll find the posts interesting anyway; similar to how I loved reading about some of Lonestar and TAC's concert experiences even for bands I don't like or wasn't really interested in.  They were passionate about them. I imagine Litho is passionate about Katatonia and I most certainly am.  I'll try to throw in some interesting or funny tidbits that I've heard along the way as well.

So this first post will be long - I'll go through their origins, their first album, the EPs before and after that album, and what was going on up to the second album. I'll leave the next few EPs for Litho since they're between the albums he'll be covering.

Litho mentioned that only the official albums should be "required listening" for these discussions and I agree.  If you want to listen to the other stuff - great.  If you want to perhaps come back to it later, the posts will be here.  And if you want to skip those and only listen to the albums, that's fine as well.  And I'll even add this - if anyone wants to participate but can't deal with the harsh vocals on the first two albums, you're welcome here as well.  For example, in the confessions thread, kingshegland and HOF said they're not interested in harsh vocals either at all or in songs with only harsh vocals.  I'd of course encourage you to just give it one quick listen anyway, but if you don't, that's cool.  Katatonia has so much great stuff and you should feel welcome to participate in the clean vocal discussions.  Maybe in this post, listen to the instrumental tracks (the ones under three minutes) just to get a little feel for things, and listen to Scarlet Heavens which is all clean vocals.

Let me say up front that I'm not much of a reviewer and struggle to describe albums in that way.  I’m not going to be describing albums as organic or mentioning the peak limiting with the production or things like that.  I’ll try to add a decent description but my "reviews" will be a little more personal.  Hopefully Litho will provide some more review-like commentary as he does seem to be good at it. 

History - the early days of Katatonia:

TAC might only be participating in this thread to prevent me from sending him more Katatonia in his next roulette, but he did say he wanted to learn something about the band, so here goes. :) Anyone who doesn't care and just wants to get to the album/EPs, feel free to scroll by.

Katatonia was formed (officially) in 1991 by Jonas Renkse (vocals and drums) and Anders Nyström (guitars).  These two have been the core of the band ever since.  They had already known each other a little before then; teenagers who were really into metal, especially death metal, buying whatever they could get their hands on and afford.  They listed bands like Bathory and Paradise Lost as influences. 

The two of them plus a bass player named Philip (not sure of spelling or last name) started up a band called Decomposed that rehearsed at a youth club in Stockholm.  The whole scene and imagery of death and black metal had an impact on them, and Jonas mentioned thinking it was cool when a staff member of the youth club was a bit shocked by the band name.  Also, Philip had written something like Satan's child on his school ID instead of his name.   :lol  But he also suggested they should have the sound of a flushing toilet in between parts of a song, which they found less cool.   

They had some other names before settling on Katatonia in 1991.  They had come across the term catatonia in lyrics, thought it captured what they were going for, "where the journey would escape inwards and further away from the outside." They changed the spelling to make it more Scandinavian, and Anders drew the first logo.  They came up with names for themselves - Blakkheim (spelled various different ways) for Anders and Lord Seth for Jonas.  Lord Seth does not really sound like an evil black or death metal name to me, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was some kind of demon and that's why he chose it. :)

Jhva Elohim Meth (1992) - EP

In 1991 it was just Jonas and Anders, they were 16, and they wrote material for a demo called Jhva Elohim Meth (which means God is dead except they didn't remember how to spell Jehovah), and recorded it in 1992. It was Jonas on drums and vocals and Anders playing guitar and bass, and mixed by Dan Swano.  They made 100 copies on blue cassettes and sold or traded them at shows (that they attended, not played), and it created a buzz.  I did not become a fan until way later so this is all from what I've read or heard in interviews if anyone was a fan or even aware of them at this time or for their first album, I'd love to hear about it.  They printed more copies and sold 500 which was a really big deal and they were asked to do interviews for fanzines.  I find this all pretty interesting as a description of the scene in general; I’ve been handed CDs/EPs/demos for free at shows before, but no one has ever tried to sell me one.  They mentioned being at a show and someone came up to them, recognizing them as Katatonia and said they had bought their demo at a previous show and it was great, and it was one of their first encounters with a fan of their music.

Katatonia described Jhva Elohim Meth as gothic black metal, and when they reprinted it, a mixture of gothic black, death, and doom metal.  Jonas has said that while they had intended to have slower tempo stuff all along, they also had some speedier parts planned as well.  But he didn't feel confident playing them on the more professional studio kit vs the youth club kit he was used to, so they ended up scrapping the fast parts altogether.  They thought the end result was better than their original plans, and this was a big step in the creation of their future sound.

Jhva Elohim Meth tracklist:
Midwinter Gates (prologue) - 0:43
Without God - 6:52
Palace of Frost - 3:40
The Northern Silence- 4:00
Crimson Tears (epilogue) - 1:56

It's not long (18 minutes) if anyone wants to check it out. I think it does sound like a demo, and I have it because I wanted to hear the band's origins, but it does have these moments that I really enjoy.  I think the opening and closing tracks are really cool, and the main songs have some interesting ideas.  The cover art is a picture of Anders taken by Jonas.

In 1993 they signed to a Swedish label called No Fashion.  They found a bass player, Guillaume Le Huche, to join the band and did their first show with him and a 2nd guitar player as a session player.  Anders sang at this show because Jonas was unsure of trying to sing and play drums at the same time.  He has said that he didn’t really want to be a singer; he just wanted to be a drummer but no one else wanted to sing either and the vocal duties fell to him as the lyricist.  The day after their first show, they went to record their debut album.

Dance of December Souls (1993) - debut album

Seven Dreaming Souls (Intro) - 0:45
Gateways of Bereavement -8:15
In Silence Enshrined - 6:30
Without God - 6:51
Elohim Meth - 1:42
Velvet Thorns (of Drynwhyl) - 13:56
Tomb of Insomnia - 13:09
Dancing December - 2:18 

Lineup:
Jonas Renkse - vocals, drums
Anders Nyström - guitars
Guillaume Le Huche - bass

Dan Swano mixed again and also contributed keyboards.  All music was written by Anders and all lyrics by Jonas.

The band has said that they went for more of a doom metal sound for this album vs the demo, and I’ve seen it described as death/doom and black/doom.  Dance of December Souls seems to be very highly regarded, it received some critical acclaim, and certainly helped to grow their fanbase. For me, Dance of December Souls was the last Katatonia album I listened to after I got into them; I worked my way backwards.  I didn’t care for their 2nd album, Brave Murder Day, that much on my first couple listens, so I expected to not like this one at all either.  I just wanted it to complete my collection and hear what they sounded like back then and how they would evolve.  I put headphones on to listen to it and laid back and settled in.  And it turned out… I kind of liked it.  I was in between wanting to laugh at hearing things like "Die! Die! Die!" in Gateways of Bereavement and feeling strangely moved and emotional, even by that same song.  The intro track is atmospheric and chilling, and if the vocals are supposed to be souls, I imagine their dreams are nightmares.  The vocals on this album… I'm guessing that those who like harsh vocals in general probably consider these to be poor.  For me, I like them better than the deeper, more guttural death metal type vocals. There's a kind of anguish in them that makes them more listenable to me and they sound more… human I guess.  There’s sorrow and loss and desperation.  Musically, I’m not really all that knowledgeable about doom metal but it sounds like it fits with that description pretty well to me.  There are some beautiful and atmospheric parts on this album and I like Anders’ playing - not talking technically but I just like what he comes up with; some sorrowful parts, dreamy… It already sounds a bit like the Katatonia I knew from later albums.  The keyboards add to the atmosphere as well.  Elohim Meth is a very nice little interlude and Dancing December is a dreamy closing track. The two 13 minute tracks throw in some unexpected elements.  Overall, this is not something I listen to all the time, but when I decide that I’m going to, I find myself looking forward to the experience.  I don’t want to oversell it though - I think it’s totally fine (and expected) that most following along here may not be all that into it.  But I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Extras

In 1994 Katatonia recorded the song Scarlet Heavens.  It was released in 1996 on a split album, (or maybe just EP) - side 1 is Scarlet Heavens and side 2 is a track from the band Primordial.  Scarlet Heavens is completely different from Dance of December Souls; it was more of a gothic track with clean vocals from Jonas.  I don’t really find his vocals on this to be all that enjoyable, but the song is very cool. I also like hearing this track to hear the evolution of his vocals - from harsh vocals, to this, to one clean track on their next album, to all clean vocals where he was still finding his voice, to his voice today where he is pretty much my favorite singer.

For Funerals to Come (1995 EP)

Funeral Wedding - 8:40
Shades of Emerald Fields - 5:24
For Funerals to Come - 2:50
Epistel - 1:13

And in 1995 they also released two songs that appeared on something called W.A.R. Compilation - Volume One, which had songs from In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and other Swedish bands:

Black Erotica - 9:08
Love of the Swan - 6:53

Same lineup as Dance of December Souls, with Anders adding some additional vocals and again writing all of the music.  Jonas wrote the lyrics except Shades of Emerald Fields, written by Guillaume Le Huche. The band had had some problems with their label when Dance of December Souls was released, so For Funerals to Come was a short EP to see how things would go with their new label, Avantgarde Music.  (It was later rereleased in 2011 with Black Erotica and Love of the Swan added on.) 

Brief split in 1995

During this time they only did sporadic live shows and their first real tour fell through.  They struggled with having a consistent lineup; Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) played some shows with them as a second guitar player because they couldn't find a permanent member.  I think Anders did most or all of the singing on these few live shows.

Finally they brought on Fredrik Norrman as a second guitar player, but at that point Jonas and Anders weren't getting along and they split up for about a year.  Jonas and Fredrik formed a band called October Tide which was similar to Katatonia. Anders was really into black metal and worked on his solo black metal project, Diabolical Masquerade, and joined a black metal band called Bewitched. 

But Anders said he was still doing interviews for For Funerals to Come, and that had him thinking that Katatonia wasn't done and he wanted to continue.  He contacted Jonas to see if he was interested.  Guillaume Le Huche chose not to rejoin, but Fredrik Norrman also came back and the band lived on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 01:14:38 PM by Lethean »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Katatonia Discography Discussion: Dance of December Souls (1993)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 12:07:02 PM »
I like threads like this and look forward to listening along together and sharing my thoughts. So are we all starting on the debut? How long are you leaving between albums for us all to listen and discuss?

I'll queue up the debut and EPs for a bit later  :tup

Also, great write up to start off with dude. I mainly skimmed over it but will read more thoroughly later. I drew parallels to the formation of Enslaved, who have always been more black metal, and they are one of my favorite bands.

Thanks to you and LithoJazzoSphere for taking the time to host this. I'd love to do one for Coheed and Cambria one day.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:20:20 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 12:52:04 PM »
I like threads like this and look forward to listening along together and sharing my thoughts. So are we all starting on the debut? How long are you leaving between albums for us all to listen and discuss?

The discography tracker thread indicates to "give the forum about a week to listen to, digest, and discuss the album" so that works for me. If it ends up being a little longer here or there I think that's OK.  And yes, starting with the debut, EPs optional. :)

Also, great write up to start off with dude. I mainly skimmed over it but will read more thoroughly later. I drew parallels to the formation of Enslaved, who have always been more black metal, and they are one of my favorite bands.

Thanks to you and LithoJazzoSphere for taking the time to host this. I'd love to do one for Coheed and Cambria one day.
I'd follow for either Coheed and Cambria or Enslaved, should you choose to do them at some point.  A little more harsh vocals than I'd like, but I always enjoy random tracks from them so that might be the push I need to give them a closer listen.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 01:02:24 PM »

The discography tracker thread indicates to "give the forum about a week to listen to, digest, and discuss the album" so that works for me. If it ends up being a little longer here or there I think that's OK.  And yes, starting with the debut, EPs optional. :)

I'd follow for either Coheed and Cambria or Enslaved, should you choose to do them at some point.  A little more harsh vocals than I'd like, but I always enjoy random tracks from them so that might be the push I need to give them a closer listen.

I always have more than enough time for listening, so will listen to both EPs and the debut tonight  :tup  just as an FYI, I'm not to familiar wiry the band but checked my Last.fm (which is why I love it) and I've heard Night is the New Day, City Burials, Dead End Kings and Brave Murder Day once through, and then Dethroned & Uncrowned and The Fall of Hearts multiple times.

I'll be honest I have little recollection of these albums and what they sounded like, so this should be fun.

To your last point, I am in no way qualified or well versed enough in Enslaved's history to do one for them but I could for Coheed, I'd just worry I wouldn't do them justice. Being the greatest band in the world, they deserve it!

Right, firing up the albums/EPs now  :metal
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:15:05 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
As a huge Katatonia fan, this is the only record I don't own of theirs. I'll look into it and consider if I want it or not.

For the uninitiated, I will say the first several albums are pretty rough, at least for me. Mainly has to do with Jonas finding his voice.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 01:06:07 PM »
I will say the first several albums are pretty rough

I like rough

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 01:29:43 PM »
OK just listened to Jhva Elohim Meth. These guys were SIXTEEN when they recorded this?! Yes, it is a little rough round the edges and could use a little polishing. I can tell you what I doing at 16, it did involve polishing of a sort  :lol  and it certainly won't be being talked about 30 years after the fact.

I was really surprised by this. Maybe it's just because I was aware of how young they were, but it sounds pretty great, production wise (I guess because of Dan Swano, how old was he at this point?) for a bands debut EP, at this time.

I loved the outro as well, something again that speaks of maturity beyond their years. The guitars have that eerie, echoey sound and I have zero problem with the vocals. It sounds of it's time, but it was an exciting time for metal and the branching off of sub genres. This is all part of the start of Scandinavian metal moving to the forefront of modern metal. They also really remind me of another band but can't quite put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:40:43 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 01:35:20 PM »
I've been planning on going through their discography again and doing more of a thorough listen. I'm very familiar with the more 'modern' albums (I guess some of these are quite old at this point) dating back to Viva Emptiness. The ones before that one I have heard maybe 2-3 times each but it was such a long time ago and I think I listened to many of them in the span of a week so memory is quite hazy and my feelings for the band has grown with mostly the newer stuff.

Just from memory I don't remember the first few being rough, if anything Brave Murder Day is probably still one of their strongest albums and I remember the debut and Discouraged Ones being pretty great too. I feel like the middle ones is maybe where it got a bit muddled but then they kinda found their sound and just kept going with it. But I definitely need to revisit these older ones to have a proper opinion because a lot of it is hazy.

In terms of the last 6 albums or so I have a soft spot for Night is the New Day as it was my entry point for the band, but The Great Cold Distance is a classic and they haven't really had a miss for me. One of those bands that maybe doesn't have a 5/5 album but also doesn't have anything that stands out as bad. Their last one (City Burials) is probably their weakest album aside from Dethroned & Uncrowned (if you count it) but I got high hopes for the new one!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
OK just listened to Jhva Elohim Meth. These guys were SIXTEEN when they recorded this?! Yes, it is a little rough round the edges and could use a little polishing. I can tell you what I doing at 16, it did involve polishing of a sort  :lol  and it certainly won't be being talked about 30 years after the fact.

I was really surprised by this. Maybe it's just because I was aware of how young they were, but it sounds pretty great, production wise (I guess because of Dan Swano, how old was he at this point?) for a bands debut EP, at this time.

I loved the outro as well, something again that speaks of maturity beyond their years. The guitars have that eerie, echoey sound and I have zero problem with the vocals. It sounds of it's time, but it was an exciting time for metal and the branching off of sub genres. This is all part of the start of Scandinavian metal moving to the forefront of modern metal. They also really remind me of another band but can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh my god I'm so excited about this reaction. :)  Dan Swano was 18 at the time, so much older and wiser. :)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 02:27:22 PM »
Just listened to Dance Of December Souls. I can hear similarities to Paradise Lost and early Opeth. It's clear Katatonia and Opeth were inspiring each other, and this album had some of those progressive tendencies.

I can appreciate it for the moment in time that it is, but probably similar to Orchid, I couldn't see myself revisiting too often. Musically, especially the guitars, this album and Orchid have a ton in common.

Also I love that they added synths to their music. I'm pretty sure this was kind of against the grain for metal bands at this point, and definitely not what the cool kids were doing.

Good stuff. Onto For Funerals to Come now  :metal
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:49:22 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 02:33:55 PM »
Following and maybe even sometimes commenting.

I do not know this record, but to be able to record an entire album after you've played one gig is quite the accomplishment.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 02:50:37 PM »
So I will be following this thread, although I'm already a pretty big Katatonia fan. I do enjoy discography run throughs and what not.

I also consider myself a bit of a Metal music historian. I like to accumulate random knowledge about all things metal-history. Having said that, I have one correction to make about Jhva Elohim Meth. This demo was recorded in July of '92 and was subsequently "released" a short time after.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 03:07:32 PM »
I also consider myself a bit of a Metal music historian. I like to accumulate random knowledge about all things metal-history. Having said that, I have one correction to make about Jhva Elohim Meth. This demo was recorded in July of '92 and was subsequently "released" a short time after.

Love this. I don't consider myself a metal historian, but I do retain a lot of knowledge about the bands I love, and dates of albums being released (years, not specific dates) is the sort of information my brain stores away.

Anyway, finished up the second EP, and it's kinda more of the same. That is no bad thing though and enjoyed a quick spin through the formation of Katatonia.

I think this period in metal is a really interesting one, following everything that came out of the 80s and bands finding their way in an era when metal was losing its way somewhat. I watched a documentary series on YouTube last year, exploring Enslaved's early career, and I loved it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »

TAC might only be participating in this thread to prevent me from sending him more Katatonia in his next roulette,

We're ALL participating in this thread to prevent you from sending more Katatonia in all of our next roulettes. ;D

So Lethean, I can't promise a listen tonight, but I will be posting my First Listen impressions of each album as we go.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 05:57:57 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 06:21:05 PM »
Jhva Elohim Meth (1991) - EP

Midwinter Gates (prologue) - Nice enough opening.

Without God -  Musically, my first thought is that this reminds me of very early Fates Warning. Lots of interesting changes in the mid section. They do a nice job of building this up. A bit too mid tempo for me overall, but lots of great ideas, especially for being 16 y/o.

Palace of Frost First of all, Palace Of Frost is a cool fucking title. Love where it picked up a minute or so through. They abandoned it too quickly. Had a cool Slayer feel to it in that part. Not a bad song by any stretch.

The Northern Silence Some slapping bass in this song. Love the uptempo parts. This is my favorite song of the three, mostly due to the pace.

Crimson Tears (epilogue) Somebody shut the faucet off!

So yeah, if these are 16 y/o kids, this is a great ...demo? Recorded by Dan Swano. I know he's really popular, but I don't know what his status was at this time. It's a really decent recording, and they feel like they are children of their influences. These tracks are well put together.

We're off to a nice start, Lethean!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 07:21:53 PM »
So I will be following this thread, although I'm already a pretty big Katatonia fan. I do enjoy discography run throughs and what not.

Thanks, and I'll fix that.  They said they wrote it and selected the name in 91 but yes, they didn't record until 1992.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 07:29:30 PM »
As a huge Katatonia fan, this is the only record I don't own of theirs. I'll look into it and consider if I want it or not.

For the uninitiated, I will say the first several albums are pretty rough, at least for me. Mainly has to do with Jonas finding his voice.

I've been planning on going through their discography again and doing more of a thorough listen. I'm very familiar with the more 'modern' albums (I guess some of these are quite old at this point) dating back to Viva Emptiness. The ones before that one I have heard maybe 2-3 times each but it was such a long time ago and I think I listened to many of them in the span of a week so memory is quite hazy and my feelings for the band has grown with mostly the newer stuff.

Just from memory I don't remember the first few being rough, if anything Brave Murder Day is probably still one of their strongest albums and I remember the debut and Discouraged Ones being pretty great too.

I think the good professor is referring to Jonas' vocals, maybe especially on the early clean vocal albums.  And he has a good point.  It's not a bad idea to give a little warning for those who might only be familiar with more modern Katatonia that he sounds different.  His vocals improving are definitely a part of why I like the "newer" ones better than the early ones, but I really appreciate getting to hear that evolution.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 07:57:36 PM »

TAC might only be participating in this thread to prevent me from sending him more Katatonia in his next roulette,

We're ALL participating in this thread to prevent you from sending more Katatonia in all of our next roulettes. ;D
Rest assured, no one has been sent as much Katatonia as you. :)

So Lethean, I can't promise a listen tonight, but I will be posting my First Listen impressions of each album as we go.
No Rush to do it all on the first night. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2022, 07:58:49 PM »
Well, I banged out the first EP...comments above.

I'll hit the album tomorrow.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2022, 07:59:03 PM »
Puppies, when did you start listening to Katatonia?  Was it at all during that time, or later?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »
Jhva Elohim Meth (1991) - EP

Midwinter Gates (prologue) - Nice enough opening.

Without God -  Musically, my first thought is that this reminds me of very early Fates Warning. Lots of interesting changes in the mid section. They do a nice job of building this up. A bit too mid tempo for me overall, but lots of great ideas, especially for being 16 y/o.

Palace of Frost First of all, Palace Of Frost is a cool fucking title. Love where it picked up a minute or so through. They abandoned it too quickly. Had a cool Slayer feel to it in that part. Not a bad song by any stretch.

The Northern Silence Some slapping bass in this song. Love the uptempo parts. This is my favorite song of the three, mostly due to the pace.

Crimson Tears (epilogue) Somebody shut the faucet off!

So yeah, if these are 16 y/o kids, this is a great ...demo? Recorded by Dan Swano. I know he's really popular, but I don't know what his status was at this time. It's a really decent recording, and they feel like they are children of their influences. These tracks are well put together.

We're off to a nice start, Lethean!

I like the Palace of Frost title as well.  And The Northern Silence.  Glad you enjoyed this one.  I have a feeling they might lose you a little when they switch to clean vocals, at least the first few albums, but I've been wrong about that sort of thing before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2022, 08:06:51 PM »
I think my biggest trepidation is going to be the mid tempo of it all. Without God has a moment about 3/4 through where I feel it starting to soar and it's a great moment. I think if the songs build, then I'll be ok.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »
Puppies, when did you start listening to Katatonia?  Was it at all during that time, or later?
My first full dive into Katatonia happened shortly after I first discovered Opeth back in 2005. It was a short stretch going from Opeth to Dan Swano. Then I starting getting into everything Dan Swano related so naturally Katatonia came up fairly quickly (along with all his other projects). I picked up Brave Murder Day first because it had Mikael Akerfeldt on guest vocals and of course Dan Swano was involved. I loved it and then got all of the rest of their albums at the time. Everything from Dance of December Souls to Viva Emptiness. The Great Cold Distance was released shortly after that and I've been picking up each of their new albums as they've been released ever since.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »
Here are some some notes that came to me while listening to the album and EPs again, and reading the thread. 

*Great job so far to Lethean.  I wasn't quite sure how much you were going to do for the first post, and you definitely threw down the gauntlet and raised the bar.  But Katatonia is a sublime band, so they definitely deserve it. 

*This is my least favorite and least listened to Katatonia album, and it's the furthest away from the sound they would eventually evolve into that I love.  It's still excellent though, and worthy of your time.  I've met a lot of extreme metal purists who love this album to death and hate their later material.  Extreme metal elitists are annoying though, so I put little stock in their opinion.  It's a quite unique-sounding album, with a black/death/doom sound that Metal-Archives used to call "dark metal", along with Bethlehem and other similar artists at that time.  This and some of the EPs in this era are really the only time you get much of a black metal vibe from Katatonia.  They even used to wear corpse paint in the early days - quite amusing now. 

*They were known as Melancholium initially, which is actually kind of apt. 

*There are also some rehearsal demos floating around from '91 and '92.  The sound recording is so abysmal that they're pretty unlistenable to me though.  Luke, if you say you're not an audiophile and don't notice albums not sounding right, I think these might break you.  But they did do a rerecording of some of them last year, and they're now far more listenable, and prove that Jonas can still do harsh vocals on occasion if needed. 

*This is the only album on which Jonas does harsh vocals the whole time.  Recording and touring this album blew his voice out and he gave it up other than rare exceptions like Ayreon's 01011001 and a few other one-off recent B-sides and such.

*This is also the only time they played in standard tuning. 

*Jonas' drumming has a unique vibe here.  In particular, his double bass playing is pretty loose.  Remember, this is before the days of digital studios, Beat Detective and such, so you were limited to doing multiple takes, or having someone who was a wizard with splicing tapes, so unevenness and some flubs add a character that often isn't present in modern, pristinely-recorded albums. 

*Also, Jonas' nickname of "Lord Seth" is a reference to Set/Seth, who was an Egyptian god of war, violence, chaos, disorder, foreigners, storms, deserts, and was related to Isis, Osiris, Horus, Nephthys, and Tawaret.  Scandinavian teen culture was kind of wild in the 80s from all my readings, and there was definitely a coolness to being sort of edgy and mysterious back around that time period.  Maybe now too, but at that point the death/black metal scene was the novel thing, so it was funneled into that. 

*There are some really great guitar harmonies, most notably on "In Silence Enshrined", "Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhl)", and "Tomb of Insomnia". 

*The icy digital synths from Dan really add a lot, particularly on tracks like "In Silence Enshrined, "Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhyl)", "Tomb of Insomnia", "Dancing December", "Without God", "Shades of Emerald Fields", with some really great doubling melodies and such.  I think that's Dan's neo-prog and AOR love coming through.  To Luke's point, synths were much more welcome in certain styles of black metal than in death metal, so it wasn't quite as much of a stretch as you might think.  There's a whole subgenre of music, dungeon synth, which is mostly populated by guys from black metal bands playing synthesizers in medieval styles, started by guys from Emperor, Burzum and others. 

*A major feature in this era are Anders' clean arpeggiated guitar lines, often with a fairly present delay and sometimes chorus and other effects.  "Scarlet Heavens" is an especially good example.  It's the manifestation of their significant influence from gothic rock, as they were a big fan of bands like Fields of the Nephilim, which will come up again later. 

*I love the incorporation of acoustic guitar in tracks like "Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhyl)", "Tomb of Insomnia", "Midwinter Gates (Prologue)", and "The Northern Silence".  They weren't quite as overt about it as bands like Opeth or In Flames, but even in more limited moments it really adds a lot to the variety of their sound. 

*I love how audible the bass is, and how it's not just root notes following the guitars. There are even a few bass breaks and leads, like in "Tomb of Insomnia", "Funeral Wedding", and "Without God".  It's especially nice in an album with so many black metal influences, because black metal is a poster child for lacking bass in the mix.  This is another example of how gothic rock was a big influence on their sound, because it tends to have more prominent bass than most genres. 

*I suppose Lethean and I differ on harsh vocal styles.  I like a bit of variety, but in general I prefer the presentation to be centered around a moderately deep bellow, precisely because it sounds monstrous and inhuman.  This will come up on the next album even more. 

*Also, Lethean and I co-hosting this is turning out even better than I hoped, since it appears some of our preferences and knowledge sets are complementary.  He mentions not being as familiar with doom metal, which has become arguably my favorite metal subgenre in the past decade.  I'm spread too thin in general to have any true deep expertise, but the atmospheric varieties of doom are a particular favorite, and this definitely hits that vibe at times. 

*To Luke's comment about the similarities between this and Opeth's Orchid, that's absolutely something I've noticed.  "Tomb of Insomnia" especially feels almost like it could have been on that album.  Although incidentally, I also love the tone of Anders' heavily-effected leads on that track, which do differentiate them from Opeth, who had a bit of a different guitar style in that regard.  "Dancing December" and "Without God" have a similar feel as well on some lead lines, with a very wet sound.

*"Scarlet Heavens" is a track I like quite alot, it's their tribute to the stylings of a band like Sisters of Mercy.  I probably listen to a lot more gothic rock and offshoots than Lethean, so I quite like that bass/baritone vocal delivery. 

*Those W.A.R. compilations are pretty legendary in metal lore.  They're an acronym for Wrong Again Records, one of the more intriguing labels of the time, as they would contract bands to send exclusive songs that they would package together.  "Black Erotica" there is an early version of a song from the next album.  Some nice fills from Jonas there, he was growing as a drummer before giving it up. 

*As Lethean mentioned them, October Tide is a great side project of theirs with Jonas worth checking out if you want more music in styles closer to what Katatonia was doing in the 90s.  It also led to the Normann brothers joining and constituting arguably the most iconic Katatonia lineup later on. 

*Also mentioned, Diabolical Masquerade is also a fantastic side project (with Anders and Dan) to check out for more black metal focus with some really great albums exploring different facets of it.  I kind of love how we're talking about Dan as if he was an official member of the band already.  I knew he was involved with their earlier stuff as well, but generally I've thought more about him being the drummer on a later album, I'd sort of forgotten how heavy his fingerprint is on this album.  His own set of influences (prog rock, Swedish death metal, gothic rock in particular) are very apropos for Katatonia as well though. 

*Nice catch to TAC on Slayer.  I hear it as more Metallica-sounding, but yes, "Palace of Frost" has an overt thrash riff near the beginning, which is pretty unusual for them.  There's another obvious one in "Shades of Emerald Fields" as well.  One of my favorite books is Daniel Ekeroth's Swedish Death Metal, so I'll try and insert tidbits I recall from it when I can.  One I remember him describing was that Sweden didn't really have much of a thrash metal scene, but they were really into the British D-beat and crust punk bands like Discharge, so a lot of Swedish death metal wound up being fairly thrashy since hardcore punk was a heavy influence on most of the thrash bands of the 80s.  Katatonia did not inherit the speed of those bands though. 

*"The Northern Silence" is the first appearance of clean vocals, which I believe are from Dan, I would have to check old interviews, but it sure sounds like him, and he's credited for backing vocals on the album.  They're just for a short section and a tad buried in the mix, but definitely stand out.  There are also a few on "Shades of Emerald Fields." 

*I love Anders' solo in "Funeral Wedding".  The tone and vibe of it reminds me a bit of the classic solo on "December" by All About Eve, another of my favorite bands.  Both are in that "Comfortably Numb" Gilmourian tradition of letting notes ring out for an epic feel.  I'm not sold on the drums on that song though, they sound unusually triggered, which doesn't really fit their sound.

*Luke's Paradise Lost comparison is apt.  I quite liked Draconian Times ages ago, but had ignored much of their ever-mounting discography until just a few years back.  At that point I was a bit surprised at how much it was obvious that they had influenced some of my favorite bands, Katatonia of course being one of them.

*In regards to TAC's question about Dan Swano's popularity at this point, I think he was seen as an up and coming guy, most known for Edge of Sanity and other projects, but it was the first year of him opening Unisound studios, so he wasn't considered the production wizard he's now known as yet. 

*I love the counterpoint guitar melodies near the end of "Black Erotica".  There are additionally some killer guitar melodies and harmonies in "Love of the Swan".  Anders has always been great with using effects pedals, and there's some cool flanger over a number of parts in this cut. 

Favorite tracks - "Velvet Thorns", "Tomb of Insomnia", and "Scarlet Heavens".  Remember I said in the "musical confessions" thread that I'm not crazy about epics?  Here are some exceptions.  These tracks each push into the 10-14 minute range, but are full of greatness.  If you only have time for a few songs from this era, check out these. 

*Overall, this experience has already been enjoyable and worthwhile, even for my least favorite album from them.  Honestly, listening to this more carefully to recall things to talk about, I've noticed little details I don't remember hearing before, and this is probably the most I've liked this album yet.  It's always in the shadow of their even better later albums, but I'm understanding increasingly why for a portion of their fans and metal fans in general this is one of the most singular and iconic albums ever recorded. 

*Lethean posted a bit earlier than I was expecting (but I love the initiative!), so I had to do a quick listen and throw some thoughts together.  If I think of anything else I'll post later, or just save it as I work on the writeup for the next two albums.  I'm a little bit intimidated now, I definitely need to up my game.  I love competition though, a healthy amount of it brings out a little extra from everyone, like those roulettes!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:32:07 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
Cheers for the essay Litho  :lol

You guys may not have been expecting this, but I'm more pumped for this, after hearing the first 2 EPs/album, than I was after only being aware of some of their later albums.

I like classic death metal, but I'm not an old school black metal fan at all, and definitely prefer symphonic black metal (literally just been listening to the remix/remaster of Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia), post-black metal and black-gaze. That being said I love it when bands that I'm into, like Enslaved (yea I guess I'll keep bringing them up) have a history rooted in the formation of the genre, even though they progressed away from that original sound. For those bands, I'm happy to go back and listen to their roots.

I know Katatonia were never black metal but they formed around that time when the genres weren't so clearly defined. They clearly mixed in all those extreme metal elements, and even wore corpse paint for a time.

I feel I'll appreciate where Katatonia go, knowing now where they've come from.

I'm honestly surprised by how much I liked these first records, and will certainly be spinning again before we move onto the next record.

LithoJazzoSphere, you mentioned about synths. I know they became much more welcome in black metal as time went on, but were they common place back in 91-93? I don't know enough about subgenres of black metal at that time to know if they were or not. I know they were much more commonplace by the mid to late 90s. As for death metal, I've been digging Nocturnus and Pestilence lately, as their synthy death metal hits the spot  :metal

I joke about the essay thing, give me all the facts, tidbits and anecdotes.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
I'm hardly a black metal connoisseur, but second wave black metal (the real trve kvlt stuff) didn't really get going until '92.  But by the time Dance of December Souls came out, Bathory had already been using keyboards, Celtic Frost and Venom too for that matter, obviously you know Enslaved, Samael had them, Emperor, Burzum, Satyricon, probably others if I thought about it more and/or did some research. 

I love Nocturnus and Pestilence. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 10:53:30 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online nick_z

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 10:53:44 AM »
This is great stuff from both of you, Lethean and Litho!

We've had some back and forth on Katatonia in other threads already, so you already know they are a big favorite of mine too...

I'll try and post more specific comments on the albums as we go along, but for now I just wanted to say how much I love this early-to-mid 90s period for metal and related subgenres. I've mentioned before how I truly started to pay attention to and collect music around 1992, and the journey was far from "linear", right away. Pretty quickly, I was falling in love with all kinds of metal, from prog to thrash, death to doom etc....there was so much interesting stuff going on in that period. Bands that were exploring a ton within their own genres. Always had a soft spot for melancholic sounding metal, whether it was more accessible "gothic metal" or more obscure death-doom. Some bands were sort of living at the intersection of these things - thinking Amorphis, Moonspell and, yes, Katatonia.

My first ever Katatonia experience was with Brave Murder Day, which this thread will soon get to, I'm sure. The band would go on to become quite the  different beast in time, but even their beginnings were not "obvious" in terms of sound. A lot of it, I believe, had to do with the musical influences of Renske and Nystrom...there was a lot beside death and doom. I know, for example, that they are big fans of this pop/rock Swedish band, Kent, which started out in the early 90s too, and if you've listened to some of their records, you'll hear subtle hints of that in Katatonia's songwriting.

As for Dan Swano - there were always deep connections across him and bands in that early 90s Swedish death metal scene. Mikael Åkerfeldt too, of course. Those were the beginnings, but Swano would soon become an absolute (underground, mostly!) legend, as far as I'm concerned, both as a musician and producer.

This is going a bit off-topic but - Tim, if you've never heard it, you should try Purgatory Afterglow by Edge of Sanity. For many years, that was his main band. That one, in particular, was such a cool record. Death metal at its core, for sure, but with influences ranging from Marillion to gothic rock. Also, if you want an all-encompassing example of Swano as a solo artist, try the debut album from Nightingale (The Breathing Shadow). He does everything himself there and it's an obscure mini-masterpiece.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2022, 11:11:09 AM »
but for now I just wanted to say how much I love this early-to-mid 90s period for metal and related subgenres. I've mentioned before how I truly started to pay attention to and collect music around 1992, and the journey was far from "linear", right away. Pretty quickly, I was falling in love with all kinds of metal, from prog to thrash, death to doom etc....there was so much interesting stuff going on in that period. Bands that were exploring a ton within their own genres. Always had a soft spot for melancholic sounding metal, whether it was more accessible "gothic metal" or more obscure death-doom. Some bands were sort of living at the intersection of these things - thinking Amorphis, Moonspell and, yes, Katatonia.

Honestly the whole period of the 90s and even a bit beyond for some was like this, so many of my favorite artists are ones who had beginnings as death or gothic metal bands and then took that atmosphere even when they went far away from metal, Anathema, The Gathering, Autumn, many others.  Mainstream artists rarely get the right feeling of melancholy like these artists do. 

but even their beginnings were not "obvious" in terms of sound. A lot of it, I believe, had to do with the musical influences of Renske and Nystrom...there was a lot beside death and doom.

Yeah, one of the things I really like about Katatonia is that even as their sound radically changed over time, it was always pretty uncategorizable.  Whatever genre you suggest it falls into, someone will be quick to tell you "no, it's definitely not that".  And if you get them to suggest something else instead, someone else will pipe in to let you know "nope, it's not that either."  So much fascinating music is created this way, Chelsea Wolfe and Draconian are other genre-busting artists that I like for a lot of similar reasons that I like Katatonia.  Hiss Spun even sounds like a dream sludge version of Viva Emptiness to me, and Turning Season Within and beyond Draconian sounds like they mainlined lots of 00s Katatonia in the writing room. 

This is going a bit off-topic but - Tim, if you've never heard it, you should try Purgatory Afterglow by Edge of Sanity. For many years, that was his main band. That one, in particular, was such a cool record. Death metal at its core, for sure, but with influences ranging from Marillion to gothic rock. Also, if you want an all-encompassing example of Swano as a solo artist, try the debut album from Nightingale (The Breathing Shadow). He does everything himself there and it's an obscure mini-masterpiece.

I suppose they're worth a shot, but I'd sooner recommend a mid-era Nightingale album, maybe Alive Again, way more 80s proggy hard rock and guitar soloing there.  The Breathing Shadow is a lot to take in if you aren't a Sisters of Mercy fan.  Moontower is also done solely by him, and sounds like if Rush had tried their hand at death metal.  And then Crimson is the ultimate Edge of Sanity album for prog fans. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:20:08 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
I think my biggest trepidation is going to be the mid tempo of it all. Without God has a moment about 3/4 through where I feel it starting to soar and it's a great moment. I think if the songs build, then I'll be ok.

I think you'll probably struggle with them, but I hope that you'll end up finding things you enjoy anyway.  For me I wasn't super into them right away; I thought they were good/enjoyable but I definitely had the sense that I wanted them heavier.  That changed for me and maybe there will be a track here and there that'll be an "in" for you and then the others will follow.  Or not, but I'm happy you're joining us.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2022, 11:23:23 AM »

I think you'll probably struggle with them, but I hope that you'll end up finding things you enjoy anyway.  For me I wasn't super into them right away; I thought they were good/enjoyable but I definitely had the sense that I wanted them heavier.  That changed for me and maybe there will be a track here and there that'll be an "in" for you and then the others will follow.  Or not, but I'm happy you're joining us.

We're time-traveling ahead almost three decades, but I'm curious how he'd react to tracks like "Behind the Blood" and "Untrodden" from City Burials.  More Priest riffs in the former and some magnificent soloing in both.  Here, TAC, give this a listen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaN2elJ-dQ
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 11:31:11 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »
I think we should let him get to that in time; who knows maybe it'll be the "in" for that album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2022, 11:39:16 AM »
You're more optimistic than I that he'll actually make it through almost a dozen albums of what sometimes gets called "depressive rock" to get that far.  Probably a better chance than 425, I suppose.   :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
but for now I just wanted to say how much I love this early-to-mid 90s period for metal and related subgenres. I've mentioned before how I truly started to pay attention to and collect music around 1992, and the journey was far from "linear", right away. Pretty quickly, I was falling in love with all kinds of metal, from prog to thrash, death to doom etc....there was so much interesting stuff going on in that period. Bands that were exploring a ton within their own genres. Always had a soft spot for melancholic sounding metal, whether it was more accessible "gothic metal" or more obscure death-doom. Some bands were sort of living at the intersection of these things - thinking Amorphis, Moonspell and, yes, Katatonia.

Honestly the whole period of the 90s and even a bit beyond for some was like this, so many of my favorite artists are ones who had beginnings as death or gothic metal bands and then took that atmosphere even when they went far away from metal, Anathema, The Gathering, Autumn, many others.  Mainstream artists rarely get the right feeling of melancholy like these artists do. 

Absolutely, yes. 100% agree. And The Gathering is another example of certain "unlikely" influences (shoegaze, in this case) finding their way early on to create something unique (I always thought no other band was able to replicate Mandylion's sound...)

I suppose they're worth a shot, but I'd sooner recommend a mid-era Nightingale album, maybe Alive Again, way more 80s proggy hard rock and guitar soloing there.  The Breathing Shadow is a lot to take in if you aren't a Sisters of Mercy fan.  Moontower is also done solely by him, and sounds like if Rush had tried their hand at death metal.  And then Crimson is the ultimate Edge of Sanity album for prog fans.

Nightingale became a much more fully-formed band with subsequent albums, for sure, with that 80s hard rock AOR sound. I actually love what they've been doing (their most recent album is excellent). I was referencing the debut precisely because it's so idiosyncratic. The 80s gothic rock influence is strong on that one, and it's fantastic  :)...Agreed on his solo album-proper, Moontower. I, too, always saw it as a Rush/Marillion/Death Metal combo (if I remember correctly, part of the lyrics to one of the songs in it directly quotes one of Neil Peart's lyrics). And as for Edge of Sanity - yes, Crimson is their full-blown "prog-metal" opus, and it's great. But I have a special fondness for Purgatory Afterglow...so many cool twists and turns between (and sometimes within!) songs.

We're time-traveling ahead almost three decades, but I'm curious how he'd react to tracks like "Behind the Blood" and "Untrodden" from City Burials.  More Priest riffs in the former and some magnificent soloing in both.  Here, TAC, give this a listen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaN2elJ-dQ

Yes! The Judas Priest influence is definitely there on Behind the Blood. Great song.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2022, 12:14:32 PM »

*Great job so far to Lethean.  I wasn't quite sure how much you were going to do for the first post, and you definitely threw down the gauntlet and raised the bar.  But Katatonia is a sublime band, so they definitely deserve it. 

*Lethean posted a bit earlier than I was expecting (but I love the initiative!), so I had to do a quick listen and throw some thoughts together.  If I think of anything else I'll post later, or just save it as I work on the writeup for the next two albums.  I'm a little bit intimidated now, I definitely need to up my game.  I love competition though, a healthy amount of it brings out a little extra from everyone, like those roulettes!

I don't see this as a competition at all.  I love talking about Katatonia, and this is a great chance for me to do so.  I left out some things because I was worried about making my post too long even.  But I don't anticipate all of them being that long; the origins part added a lot.  I just want to share stuff that will hopefully get people interested.  But I'm not a musician.  Only album in standard tuning?  I had no idea.  I still remember playing arpeggios from school band/orchestra, but I think it's different for guitar and I would never think to make comments like that.  I know that I like Anders *a lot*, but I don't necessarily know why or what techniques he uses to create the sounds that he does.  But I do find it interesting to read, so I see this all as being complementary. 

*There are also some rehearsal demos floating around from '91 and '92.  The sound recording is so abysmal that they're pretty unlistenable to me though.  Luke, if you say you're not an audiophile and don't notice albums not sounding right, I think these might break you.  But they did do a rerecording of some of them last year, and they're now far more listenable, and prove that Jonas can still do harsh vocals on occasion if needed. 
And somehow I completely missed this. Mentioning the rehearsal demos are some of the things I left out, but I had no idea they rerecorded them.  Did they announce this somewhere and I missed it?

*This is the only album on which Jonas does harsh vocals the whole time.  Recording and touring this album blew his voice out and he gave it up other than rare exceptions like Ayreon's 01011001 and a few other one-off recent B-sides and such.

He does it also on the first October Tide album, and he did live harsh vocals for the next tour but I'll save that for your post.  Do you know if he ever sang and drummed at the same time live?  I couldn't find much but was under the impression that Anders did most of the singing for the very few shows they did prior to Brave Murder Day.

*Jonas' drumming has a unique vibe here.  In particular, his double bass playing is pretty loose.  Remember, this is before the days of digital studios, Beat Detective and such, so you were limited to doing multiple takes, or having someone who was a wizard with splicing tapes, so unevenness and some flubs add a character that often isn't present in modern, pristinely-recorded albums. 
He's also said that he never owned his own real kit, so he was only able to practice on an actual at the youth club, etc, and says his playing was never really that strong.

*Also, Lethean and I co-hosting this is turning out even better than I hoped, since it appears some of our preferences and knowledge sets are complementary.  not being as familiar with doom metal, which has become arguably my favorite metal subgenre in the past decade.  I'm spread too thin in general to have any true deep expertise, but the atmospheric varieties of doom are a particular favorite, and this definitely hits that vibe at times.
To be honest I'm not that knowledgeable about black or death metal either, or "metal lore" such as the WAR compilations. I've gotten into some harsh vocals over time, but not at all until 2010 and I only really know about what I've read in relation to bands I like, like Katatonia and Arcturus.

*Also mentioned, Diabolical Masquerade is also a fantastic side project (with Anders and Dan) to check out for more black metal focus with some really great albums exploring different facets of it.
Just chiming in to say that I really like Death's Design.  I need to listen more to the others but that one drew me in for repeat listens by how totally wacky it is.

I kind of love how we're talking about Dan as if he was an official member of the band already.  I knew he was involved with their earlier stuff as well, but generally I've thought more about him being the drummer on a later album…
I don't think he was ever an official member.  I'll have to see if I can find it but I remember an interview where Anders was pretty clear that he just did session drums for them

*Overall, this experience has already been enjoyable and worthwhile, even for my least favorite album from them.  Honestly, listening to this more carefully to recall things to talk about, I've noticed little details I don't remember hearing before, and this is probably the most I've liked this album yet.  It's always in the shadow of their even better later albums, but I'm understanding increasingly why for a portion of their fans and metal fans in general this is one of the most singular and iconic albums ever recorded. 

Yes - I'm really glad I was insistent on having the whole discography and gave it a chance, because it certainly surprised me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2022, 02:25:35 PM »
This is great stuff from both of you, Lethean and Litho!

We've hasd some back and forth on Katatonia in other threads already, so you already know they are a big favorite of mine too...

I'll try and post more specific comments on the albums as we go along, but for now I just wanted to say how much I love this early-to-mid 90s period for metal and related subgenres. I've mentioned before how I truly started to pay attention to and collect music around 1992, and the journey was far from "linear", right away. Pretty quickly, I was falling in love with all kinds of metal, from prog to thrash, death to doom etc....there was so much interesting stuff going on in that period. Bands that were exploring a ton within their own genres. Always had a soft spot for melancholic sounding metal, whether it was more accessible "gothic metal" or more obscure death-doom. Some bands were sort of living at the intersection of these things - thinking Amorphis, Moonspell and, yes, Katatonia.

My first ever Katatonia experience was with Brave Murder Day, which this thread will soon get to, I'm sure. The band would go on to become quite the  different beast in time, but even their beginnings were not "obvious" in terms of sound. A lot of it, I believe, had to do with the musical influences of Renske and Nystrom...there was a lot beside death and doom. I know, for example, that they are big fans of this pop/rock Swedish band, Kent, which started out in the early 90s too, and if you've listened to some of their records, you'll hear subtle hints of that in Katatonia's songwriting.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experience with Brave Murder Day when we get to it.  I know DT fans who have been with them since Images and Words and I've read lots of experiences from people here about that time as well (Six Degrees was my first DT album).  But I don't know anyone who was into Katatonia "back then" so I'd love to hear about what it was like to be a fan - or just casual listener - back then.

And of course I'd love to hear your thoughts on Dance of December Souls.

My first full dive into Katatonia happened shortly after I first discovered Opeth back in 2005. It was a short stretch going from Opeth to Dan Swano. Then I starting getting into everything Dan Swano related so naturally Katatonia came up fairly quickly (along with all his other projects). I picked up Brave Murder Day first because it had Mikael Akerfeldt on guest vocals and of course Dan Swano was involved. I loved it and then got all of the rest of their albums at the time. Everything from Dance of December Souls to Viva Emptiness. The Great Cold Distance was released shortly after that and I've been picking up each of their new albums as they've been released ever since.

And your thoughts on Dance of December Souls as well.  I imagine there are quite a lot of people who got into Katatonia because of Mikael Akerfeldt initially and then became fans of the band.

Another little tidbit - Anders said that Mikael Åkerfeldt was considering joining Katatonia around the time that he was doing shows with them as a second guitar player.  But decided against it as he wanted to continue with Opeth.  (A good thing for us all, I think.)