Author Topic: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown--And the winner is...  (Read 10060 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown thread--#8 REVEALED
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 10:14:25 AM »
This was a show of two halves for me. The first few episodes were very hit and miss. I enjoyed the original concept, but I thought it was just going to be weekly self contained stories.  And as such, some of the stories were ok, and some were just dumb. But I thought the show really took off when it came to the last few episodes and the idea of the multiverse starting to break down.

I’ve actually been meaning to go back and watch it again. I also didn’t retain a copy of my list, but I’m pretty sure it was 6. I have a last place and this wasn’t it.

I agree with all of the above.
The show is #6 on my list too.
It's almost like they started the development process of the show and half way on it they realized they could have done it differently and changed course.
I liked the 2nd half of the season better than the first half.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2022, 03:13:25 PM »
I don't remember my whole list, but I remember this was # 8.

Enjoyable enough, but definitely the least of them, IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2022, 07:23:58 PM »
#7:  She-Hulk

Highest ranking:  #2 (The Realm)
Lowest:  #8 (MinistroRaven, faizoff, DarkChestofWonders)

If not for such a small sample size of lists (14 total), this might be a cooler fact:  The points total between this and #8 was only 2 points.  (Even more surprising that the total between #6 and #7 is also only 2 points)

I also ranked this #7.  For all the reasons recently discussed in the thread, this show was almost always a complete miss for me.  But the Blonsky stuff was mildly interesting, as was the out-of-nowhere dark dimension stuff, and I actually genuinely liked the twist at the end of the final episode.  That final episode barely took it just past What If...? for me.  But, again, most of the show was a huge miss, and the comedy was not only unfunny, but was a big turnoff for me.  Not sure how many watch or listen to anything New Rockstars puts out, but they were doing a lengthy discussion about She-Hulk and most of them agreed that a LOT of the humor was in-jokes among the L.A. area standup comedy scene, and that it was pretty myopic of the writers to incorporate so much of that and not even realize that it wouldn't land for the vast majority of their audience.  A lot of why it didn't connect with me makes sense after hearing that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online The Letter M

1 ?
2 ?
3 ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 She-Hulk
7 What If...?
8 ?

This might be a bit of recency bias, but I really enjoyed She-Hulk. It just really hit me in mostly good ways, but I'll admit it wasn't perfect. However, it felt fresh and unique among the other Disney+ MCU offerings, so it gained some points from me on that alone. It also avoided some of the tropes and traps the other shows had fallen into, and at the very least was quite entertaining overall.

I wonder if the 6th place one is my 8th place series...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Realm

Well count me as disappointed with this ranking at 7! She-Hulk was great and at least it was true to itself and didn't try so hard like a few other shows still to come. It wasn't at all the show I expected and I think because of that I really enjoyed it for what it was. For me, there were a number of laugh out loud funny moments and sometimes that is what we all need - a good laugh.

Offline jammindude

I had She-Hulk at #7.  I really wanted it to be better than it was. Tatiana is honestly one of the most talented actors I’ve ever seen, and I feel like her talents were totally wasted on this. It was a fun little show, and I really did enjoy the twist at the end, but I ended up feeling like anyone could’ve played that character considering what they gave her.

She’s too good for this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
^Yeah, I don't think I disagree with any of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep, #8 on my list. And it isn’t at #9 or lower because there’s only 8 D+ shows so far hahaha

Offline jammindude

It’s interesting to me that somewhere deep in there, buried amid the cheesy 2-dimensional humor, were some really great points. I loved the awards ceremony when she thought she was getting an award that was actually for everybody. I thought that was a great way of pointing out the BS that women often deal with in the work force without being too preachy or ham fisted. Ditto with the reasons around her being hired in the first place (because she was She-Hulk, and not for her talents). Her struggle with wanting to be somebody, but not be a celebrity. These were all promising aspects of the show that could still be fleshed out. So I maintain that the show still holds out some promise.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Can't remember where I ranked it, but it was either #6 or #7. It was fine for what it was trying to achieved, I just think they missed the mark with most episodes. Also, while I appreciated what they tried to do with the finale, and it was done fairly well IMO, I did not really care for the way it ended. 
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Had it at 6,so fairly close. Again, a fun show, but not even close to the caliber of some others.

My list...

8- What if?
7-
6- She-Hulk
5-
4-
3-
2-
1-

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I liked it a lot, but it was so different than the other shows that it was hard to compare, honestly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

Yeah, She-Hulk sucked out loud. But I suppose I wasn’t the target audience.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Coming in at number 6:  The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Highest:  4th (Dream Team)
Lowest:  8th (TheLetterM, Vmadera00, axeman90210)

The ranking surprised me, even though I only had it one spot higher at #5.  I thought I was going to be on the low side, and that it would probably finish around 4th.  It finished only 2 points higher than #7, She-Hulk, and only 4 points higher than What If...?

Despite my rather low ranking, I liked this show a lot.  It wasn't perfect.  But there was a lot that was well done.  And while I thought Sam's speech was a bit stilted and too "on the nose" the first time through, it seemed a lot better on a second viewing.  In fact, a lot that I thought was just okay about the show hit a lot harder the second time around.  The social commentary was well done overall, the character development for some of the characters (Bucky!) was really emotional and deep at times, and the action was pretty good too.  It did a good job of wrestling with tough issues, some of which are very real world, and others being a logical extension of the post-Thanos MCU.  The only real problem is pacing and a few dead-end threads, which ended up being because of Covid.  That, and the top MCU D+ shows being SO good, is why it ranked on the lower end for me.

And I am not one that was bothered by Sharon turning out to be the Power Broker. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:50:57 PM by bosk1 »

Online The Letter M

Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown--#6 WILL SHOCK YOU
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2022, 11:13:14 PM »
1 ?
2 ?
3 ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 She-Hulk
7 What If...?
8 The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

Yep, after eight shows over two years, TFATWS ended up last in my ranking. It's not completely awful, but there were parts that just didn't jive well or make sense, and a lot of that stems from changes made because of the pandemic. The original plan was for this to be the first Disney+ series in the MCU, released after Black Widow in the late summer of 2020, and I'm not sure if that would've changed my feelings about the show. Maybe once New World Order comes out in 2024, I might have a greater appreciation for this show, but until then, it's an OK series with a lot of missed opportunities and questionable plot/character choices.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2022, 06:03:05 AM »
Yeah, #8 for me, and it wasn't even debatable. Action wise, it has good moments. But the plot just felt like a mess and very forced at times. Bucky and Sam's chemistry was great in the show, but that wasn't enough to save it (for me). Not much else to say, maybe I should give it another go and see if my opinion changes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2022, 07:11:02 AM »
I really liked this show a lot, and it definitely felt the most like an extended MCU film more than any other of the shows.  But I think that's why I ranked it low, and 6 seems about right.  It was a lot of fun, but didn't distinguish itself AS A TV SHOW as much as some of the others did that I ranked higher.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:31 AM »
Can’t remember if I had this at 4 or 5. Hopefully 5. I really liked the chemistry between the two leads, and there was a GREAT idea here, but the retooling because of the pandemic killed it. I really wish we could have seen the full show as originally planned. I think that show had the potential to be my #3.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2022, 02:11:38 PM »
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - number 7 for me. This show is a dud. It potentially promised so much and delivered little. It's hard for me to even remember much of it now but at the time it just felt like a slog to get through.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2022, 03:17:25 PM »
I had it at #5, so pretty close again. A very entertaining show for sure... just other shows were better for me.

My list...

8- What if?
7-
6- She-Hulk
5- Falcon and the Winter Soldier
4-
3-
2-
1-

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2022, 07:59:13 PM »
I had this one at 5.

I have no problem with this show at all. I loved it a lot. The thing is that other shows were more perfect.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2022, 08:16:22 PM »
The suspense . . .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2022, 09:41:22 PM »
Seriously! I’m enjoying this more than I thought I would and now I am feel like I’m being teased.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2022, 10:02:56 PM »
Sorry, guys.  There was a LOT going on this Veteran's Day weekend.  All good stuff, but much busier than expected (and I expected quite a bit).

So, coming in at #5:  Moonknight

Highest rank:  #2  (bosk1; DarkChestofWonders [she couldn't decide whether to put it at #1 and literally rock/paper/scissors'd to decide])
Lowest:  #8  (quite a few folks)

I LOVED this show.  It wasn't a "flawless" show.  There were some artistic decisions I didn't think were the best.  But overall, I thought it was amazing.  The story was pretty good, the acting was superb, and I thought it was very fresh and original.  On a personal note, the one thing that bugged me was the whole narrative about pretend "gods."  And maybe a minor nitpick would be that there seemed to be threads to explore with the other gods that just kinda got dropped and went nowhere.  But that aside, I love pretty much everything about it.  I loved how it kept the audience guessing all the way through the end.  I loved how they portrayed DID.  I didn't have the problems some did with the big CGI fight at the end.  I don't really have anything against big CGI fights at the end of MCU movies in general, as long as they are logical and done well.  This one was set up to the point that a showdown between Amiit and Khonshu was inevitable and necessary to the story. 

Given the positive conversations here, I kind of thought this one would finish around #3 or #4.

Offline The Realm

Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown--#5 up now
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »
Moonknight - count me as one of those 'quite a few folks' as this was number 8 for me. Started off ok and then just didn't work at all for me on any level after that, was an absolute chore to slog through. Maybe I just didn't get it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:38 PM »
I had it at #7... Some good highs, but it really needed to be a much, much longer series to really pay off. Honestly What If was the only show that didn't blow me away, this was solid for sure, just when up against the others.... It says something that this is the only Dh live action show I have yet to revisit (and She Hulk, but it's too new)

8- What if?
7- Moonknight
6- She-Hulk
4-
3-
2-
1-

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2022, 04:46:00 AM »
I had this one #4

I liked it a lot. The acting was the best part for me. How he went from one character to another was simply amazing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2022, 06:21:24 AM »
This was a good show, but I think they lost me in the last 2 episodes. Not that those episodes were bad, I just lost interest there. But overall I enjoyed it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2022, 07:47:15 AM »
1 ?
2 ?
3 ?
4 Moon Knight
5 ?
6 She-Hulk
7 What If...?
8 The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

I really enjoyed this one. The first Disney+ MCU show to focus entirely on new characters was exciting and, at times, even enthralling, buf it did have some issues. Oscar Isaac's acting was impeccable and impressive though, and the world building we got from the show was very welcomed. Really hoping for a second season sooner than later!

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2022, 11:51:39 AM »
I liked this one a lot.  Very different from most other Marvel fare, which is why I liked it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »
This was my #8. I liked some of it, but I mostly thought it was a mess. I would still give it another try if they do another season.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2022, 10:57:36 PM »
Number 4:  Ms. Marvel

Highest:  #2 (faizoff, ZirconBlue)
Lowest:  #7 (MinistroRaven, DreamTeam)

I liked this show a lot.  It was different, but felt like I was definitely still in the MCU.  It was definitely aimed at a younger demographic, and I'm fine with that.  The warmth and fun of this show just shone through and made it a joy to watch.  The main characters were easily likeable and relatable, and their arcs mostly showed growth and made sense.

The down side is that there didn't seem to be consistent explanations, motivations, or growth for the Clandestines.  They were just kind of there to provide conflict and a framework for the story to advance, but didn't really make a lot of sense.  To a lesser degree, the Red Daggers kind of felt that way too. 

Aside from that, the show was a lot of fun.  Both the cultural and the time travel aspects were nice touches as well. 

I ranked this #6, and that ranking is just due to the "flaws" I mention dragging it down just below 5 other really good, stronger shows.

Offline jammindude

Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown--#4 up now
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2022, 11:06:11 PM »
My #3!!! I enjoyed this show immensely!  I learned more about the history of India from this show than I did attending high school. I love learning new things from my arts. That’s what made me love Iron Maiden so much!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2022, 11:08:05 PM »
Ms Marvel - my number 4 so nailed it! Really liked this show, some really subtle and great acting and characterisation. This show didn't try too hard to be something it wasn't and was all the better for it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2022, 06:11:54 AM »
No 3 here... Absolutely adored this show, carried for me by such heart and warmth and centered around the best D+ casting ever of Iman Vellani, talk about perfect.

8- What if?
7- Moonknight
6- She-Hulk
4-
3-Ms Marvel
2-
1-