Author Topic: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown--And the winner is...  (Read 10064 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It probably goes without saying, but a huge thanks to Kevshmev for all the work he puts into doing these types of threads in the music-related parts of the forum.  I wouldn't intrude onto something that is really his thing.  But since he has never done them in this part of the forum, I'm gonna do it.  :biggrin:

So, here, we are ranking the MCU D+ shows from phase 4.  I think when this is done, we can do the MCU films if people want to participate. 

There are only 8 MCU D+ shows, so we are doing a top 8.  I will count down the 8 shows in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with the cumulative list and do the countdown from 8 to 1.

The rules:
-Shows must be listed from 8 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having two or three shows tied for rank #2 or anything like that.  Any such lists will be disregarded.  DO NOT list your shows with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).
-Any list submitted with the shows not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Friday, November 4.  I will then begin the countdown shortly thereafter.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever show is at number 1 gets 8 points, number 2 gets 7 points, number 3 gets 6 points, etc.
-PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same album mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great if you have too much difficulty making one on your own. You can input all of the shows you want, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Here are the shows, in release order:
WandaVision
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
Loki
What If...?
Hawkeye
Moonknight
Ms. Marvel
She Hulk: Attorney at Law
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:18:58 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 04:02:27 AM »
DO NOT list your albums with the points total.

???  :rollin

I sent my list

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 04:57:25 AM »
Cool, I'll send something later  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 05:28:10 AM »
I'm in, but will have to send my list later (busy weekend st work).

As for a Films Countdown, would you want to wait til the end of the year once everyone has had a chance to see Wakanda Forever? That way we could fit in all of Phase 4 and have an round number of 30.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
As for a Films Countdown, would you want to wait til the end of the year once everyone has had a chance to see Wakanda Forever? That way we could fit in all of Phase 4 and have an round number of 30.

Yeah, exactly.  I am trying to decide whether to just do phases 1-3 and focus just on the Infinity Saga, or to wait for Wakanda Forever and go through phase 4.  I am leaning toward the latter, but haven't firmly decided yet.  There's a certain neatness to keeping it just to the Infinity Saga.  But on the flip side, I also kind of want to see how people stack the phase 4 films against the first three phases. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »

Yeah, exactly.  I am trying to decide whether to just do phases 1-3 and focus just on the Infinity Saga, or to wait for Wakanda Forever and go through phase 4.  I am leaning toward the latter, but haven't firmly decided yet.  There's a certain neatness to keeping it just to the Infinity Saga.  But on the flip side, I also kind of want to see how people stack the phase 4 films against the first three phases.

I totally see both views on this. Me, personally, would do 1-3 and then in however many years, 4-6 or 1-6. I just think the films so far in phase 4 MAY be recontextualized with later films that change how we see them. It's possible they won't, but I worry it's too soon to judge phase 4. But I'd obviously participate either way,

I also did a run through of the shows in the ranking engine and it was A LOT harder than thought. I have no idea right now if I like Hawkeye more than Ms. Marvel or Moon Knight, you know? The top and bottom are easy, but all the middle stuff gets murky,
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 12:22:10 PM »

I totally see both views on this. Me, personally, would do 1-3 and then in however many years, 4-6 or 1-6. I just think the films so far in phase 4 MAY be recontextualized with later films that change how we see them. It's possible they won't, but I worry it's too soon to judge phase 4. But I'd obviously participate either way,

Yeah, same.  I think I'll still do 1-4 now just for the heck of it.  Then a little while later, maybe go back and just do 1-3 and do a 4-6 way later (if we're all still around when phase 6 finishes).

I also did a run through of the shows in the ranking engine and it was A LOT harder than thought. I have no idea right now if I like Hawkeye more than Ms. Marvel or Moon Knight, you know? The top and bottom are easy, but all the middle stuff gets murky

I think I've got mine nailed down, but I'm close on some.  My top 2 are easily top 2, but it's hard to decide which is #1.  My bottom 2 are easily bottom 2, but it's hard to decide which is last.  And my middle 4 are easily my middle 4, but it is hard to rank them against each other.  But that's the fun of this, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 11:54:20 AM »
Not as many lists as I would have suspected.  Is that because people don't really care much about this idea (which is totally fine), or because not many people check over here regularly and may not have seen the thread?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 07:41:10 PM »
Not as many lists as I would have suspected.  Is that because people don't really care much about this idea (which is totally fine), or because not many people check over here regularly and may not have seen the thread?

Give me a couple days and I'll submit a list. I've just been busy with work for the last week so I haven't had time to do it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 08:07:55 AM »
I'll get it to you.  I find this topic especially hard to rank in order.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 11:00:26 AM »
Sent my list! Hopefully you get a few more rankings from folks!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 11:16:36 AM »
5 so far, not including mine.  I would hope we get at least 10.  Makes it more interesting if there is a possibility of some diversity of opinion (and if there are people to actually discuss the lists afterward). 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
Sent.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 02:15:41 PM »
What's the deadline on getting lists in?  I'm interested, but since I've only seen each show once so far, ranking is more difficult for me than some of these other ranking threads.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Friday.  But I am in no rush and can extend if you are interested and want just a bit more time.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
List sent. I only actually just saw this thread now and did the list straight away as wasn't hard for me.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 09:44:35 AM »
Sent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
I have lists from everyone who posted in the thread that they sent one.  I guess I should respond to those PMs to let people know I got theirs.

We still have time for any latecomers.  And if anyone needs a bit more time, I have no problem with a short postponement of the deadline.  There are only 8 possible entries to rank, so this shouldn't take long for me to tabulate.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 04:41:27 PM »
I’ve been planning on doing this. Just been silent about it.

I’m sequestered in a hotel room anyway.  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2022, 10:53:10 AM »
Just sent in my list

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
List sent.  I think mine will not jibe with the concensus. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2022, 03:20:09 PM »

Did you put What If as number one? I think Bosk might “lose” your list of you did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
Yeah, got Zircon's list.  Unfortunately, he will be unable to join us moving forward.  :bosk1:

Just kidding.  Without going into too much detail, while his was different from "the norm," his #1 was also at least one other person's #1, and his #8 was at least one other person's #8.  So take that for what it's worth.

We got 13 lists total.  I would have loved it if we got more, and I am tempted to leave this open a bit longer to see if we can pull others in.  Because I KNOW more than 13 forum members watched all 8 shows and have opinions.  Are there other forum members that are Marvel fans who just may not have noticed the thread that you guys can invite to check it out?  The more votes the better.  And it would be interesting to see if things shift around a bit.  You guys let me know.  If we don't get any more or anyone posting here to say they want to play by Monday, I'll start posting rankings at that point. 

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2022, 09:32:34 PM »
I don't really post anymore, but I'll play.
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 10:23:07 AM »

Did you put What If as number one? I think Bosk might “lose” your list of you did.

I put What If? in all 8 spots.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 04:55:06 PM »
OK, here we go!

Coming in at #8...  *drumroll*

What If...?
Highest ranking:  #3 (Dream Team and Vmadera00)
Lowest ranking:  #8 (quite a few of us)

Cool concept.  Having it animated let them do a lot of stuff without blowing the budget.  And some episodes were fun.  Overall, it didn't really work for me.  But that's fine, as I know many liked it quite a bit. 

The bottom 3 were actually pretty tight in terms of points.  We'll see what the other two are that found themselves down near the bottom.  Stay tuned...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Official D+ Marvel Cinematic Universe shows countdown thread--#8 REVEALED
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 05:12:50 PM »
It was entertaining, and had a few bright spots, but really couldn't hold up to the rest of the output.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2022, 05:17:56 PM »
Yeah, I agree with all of that.  But looking at it in the rearview mirror, I enjoy it a bit more than I did in real time.  Experiencing it episode by episode as they were coming out, it didn't seem like it was going to be actually canon and tie into the MCU as a whole.  Seeing it now as a whole work, and with other Marvel properties behind us, it serves as a nice intro into the idea of the multiverse, and set up what Marvel is doing with the multiverse.  I can appreciate it a bit more in its context. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 05:32:51 PM »
What if - this was number 6 for me. I had no expectation for this show and it did have some really great moments. The 2 shows I ranked lower really failed me in terms of expectation and execution but will comment on them when they appear. Probably a fairly predictable and not unexpected start to the countdown.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 05:41:09 PM »
I honestly can't remember my list...  :lol

I know my no1 was firm, but I couldn't recreate the rest for ya.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 05:49:14 PM »
1 ?
2 ?
3 ?
4 ?
5 ?
6 ?
7 What If...?
8 ?

This almost landed last for me but as a fan of the idea growing up reading comics, and being a huge fan of alternate reality/universe/timeline stories in general, seeing the concept applied to the MCU really intrigued me. It didn't land with every episode, however, but I really enjoyed it and loved seeing new interpretation of past MCU events.

Highlights include Strange Supreme, Zombies, Hank Kills the Avengers, Infinity Ultron, and of course, Chadwick Boseman's final performances as T'Challa.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 06:37:24 PM »
This was a show of two halves for me. The first few episodes were very hit and miss. I enjoyed the original concept, but I thought it was just going to be weekly self contained stories.  And as such, some of the stories were ok, and some were just dumb. But I thought the show really took off when it came to the last few episodes and the idea of the multiverse starting to break down.

I’ve actually been meaning to go back and watch it again. I also didn’t retain a copy of my list, but I’m pretty sure it was 6. I have a last place and this wasn’t it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2022, 07:44:54 AM »
Me having it #3 is more of a factor of a lot of the other shows not landing for me as opposed to it being awesome. But I thought a lot of the episodes were really good.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2022, 08:37:16 AM »
Me having it #3 is more of a factor of a lot of the other shows not landing for me as opposed to it being awesome. But I thought a lot of the episodes were really good.

This is how I feel about it. While I enjoyed it a lot more than most people here did, It's rank 3 because some of the other shows were just not that great. I think I enjoyed every episode except 2 of them (Thor's and Killmonger's episodes). Strange episode was great, the last 2 with Ultron were great, Zombies and Hank killing avengers was very good, and T'Challa and Captain Carter episode were interesting.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
I liked What If?, but it has the same issue, for me, that the comics had:  They're trying to cram too much story into too short a space (a single short episode / a single issue of the comic).  They have to spend some time showing us where we are in the canon story so that they can then show what's different.  Each episode/issue seems more like a plot synopsis than a complete story.  Still, a lot of cool stuff along the way.