Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania - On D+ & Home Video! (Spoilers)  (Read 5795 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Yo, I've got a hunch that Scott's not gonna make it outta the Quantum Realm in this movie, but he'll be stuck there until at least one of the next two Avengers flicks and with all the knowledge he's accumulated in the Quantum Realm, he'll be a vital asset in taking down Kang!
Isn't that what happened in Endgame? I kinda hope they don't go that route here. Too similar.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Yo, I've got a hunch that Scott's not gonna make it outta the Quantum Realm in this movie, but he'll be stuck there until at least one of the next two Avengers flicks and with all the knowledge he's accumulated in the Quantum Realm, he'll be a vital asset in taking down Kang!
Isn't that what happened in Endgame? I kinda hope they don't go that route here. Too similar.

Yeah, that feels too similar to his story in Endgame. Regardless of what happens, the stakes in this movie are high, higher than any phase 4 movie. I just hope they deliver the goods.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, that feels too similar to his story in Endgame. Regardless of what happens, the stakes in this movie are high, higher than any phase 4 movie. I just hope they deliver the goods.

At least you guys got the reference

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.

Was your post supposed to be a joke? If so it went right over my head. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Oh I get it. "Asset". :neverusethis:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
"Iron Man 3: Tony Stark loses his home, his suits, the security and peace of mind he's had for so long, drastically changing his mentality towards life and the dangers of the universe.

Captain America 3: Steve Rogers loses his shield and with it his identity as Captain America, also losing his freedom and becoming a fugitive nomad in the world.

Thor 3: Thor loses Asgard, the world where he was born and grew up. He loses his father and to top it off, his best weapon, Mjolnir, is destroyed.

Spider-Man 3: Peter Parker loses his aunt, his relationship with MJ, his friendship with Ned, and even his identity, becoming someone who simply doesn't exist.

It looks like Marvel Studios likes to have their superheroes lose everything in their third movies 💔

And it seems Scott Lang will lose a lot in his third installment too 😢"

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Not a joke but I posted the same exact thing in two different places and some where like ehh that would be cool af, but it as you pointed out it is the same formula as in previous movies and I honestly think marvel wouldn’t do it.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw this over the weekend and loved it.  Regarding where other characters are, you just have to assume that they were busy with their own stuff, or they had a separate Avengers ceremony or whatever.  Stopping every MCU movie to explain where everyone else is would get tedious very quickly.  There are people out there complaining that the MCU is too interconnected, that they have to watch all the movies to understand what's going on. 

Regarding the "ending with a big CGI battle" complaints, I'm wondering how else people expect superhero movies to end?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Saw this over the weekend and loved it.  Regarding where other characters are, you just have to assume that they were busy with their own stuff, or they had a separate Avengers ceremony or whatever.  Stopping every MCU movie to explain where everyone else is would get tedious very quickly.  There are people out there complaining that the MCU is too interconnected, that they have to watch all the movies to understand what's going on. 

Regarding the "ending with a big CGI battle" complaints, I'm wondering how else people expect superhero movies to end?

How did you see this? It doesn't come out till next week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah, I often find that to be a complaint that doesn't hold much validity either.  But what is related that sometimes is an issue is where the "bog CGI battle" just isn't done well.  Shang Chi comes to mind.  GREAT movie for the first two acts.  And then is just kind of falls apart in act 3.  Not because it has a big CGI battle.  But because the way the battle was done undercuts the stakes the movie had built. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

There have been some press screening previews over the last couple of days, but they are invite only.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.

Yeah, I often find that to be a complaint that doesn't hold much validity either.  But what is related that sometimes is an issue is where the "bog CGI battle" just isn't done well.  Shang Chi comes to mind.  GREAT movie for the first two acts.  And then is just kind of falls apart in act 3.  Not because it has a big CGI battle.  But because the way the battle was done undercuts the stakes the movie had built. 
I think this is mostly it. Sometimes the big CGI battle just doesn't seem necessary and distracts from the major themes of the movie or could have been done on a smaller, more personal scale. For me, generally when there are mindless hordes of CGI monsters/robots, the CGI battle detracts from the movie.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Although considering the final battle will be taking place in the quantum realm, it's safe to assume it'll be a big CGI battle.

Also... 10 days...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm a really important VIP that gets to see things early.

Or, I thought I was posting in the Wakanda Forever thread. 

One or the other.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Although considering the final battle will be taking place in the quantum realm, it's safe to assume it'll be a big CGI battle.

Also... 10 days...
Of course. For me it's not so much that there's CGI, it's more about the scale of it. If Antman and company battle it out with thousands of random monsters or something that previously didn't play a role in the movie, it will be disappointing. If they're just battling with the main foe(s) and a small group of henchmen and CGI is heavily used, that's fine with me. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
 :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline kaos2900

Based on reviews it sounds like the movie succeeds in establishing Kane as the next big baddie, kicking off phase 5, and wrapping up the Ant-Man trilogy. Though it sounds like the recent MCU challenges of bloated plots and pacing issues persists here as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Based on reviews it sounds like the movie succeeds in establishing Kane as the next big baddie, kicking off phase 5, and wrapping up the Ant-Man trilogy. Though it sounds like the recent MCU challenges of bloated plots and pacing issues persists here as well.

Great, so now when he appears on screen the first time, all I'm going to hear is Vince McMahon's voice yelling "THAT'S GOTTA BE KANG!  THAT'S GOTTA BE KANG!!!!!"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

Is he a Citizen?  ;)

Also, with the film coming out this weekend, I'd like to ask that this thread be spoiler-free for a week (til February 24th) at the very least! I'm going out of town this weekend and probably won't get a chance to see the film til next week. Ah well...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I got my tickets for Saturday, 11am  :corn

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Is he a Citizen?  ;)

Also, with the film coming out this weekend, I'd like to ask that this thread be spoiler-free for a week (til February 24th) at the very least! I'm going out of town this weekend and probably won't get a chance to see the film til next week. Ah well...

-Marc.
Same.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I'm on for 6:10pm Thursday  :metal

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I have to drop my son off at an event at 6:00 on Saturday. It goes until 10:00, but he can leave when he wants. There is a showing of Ant Man at 7:00 down the street. It'd be done by 9:20 or so I'd imagine. I've already committed to picking him up within 20 minutes if he wants to go. I'm going to be hanging out near the event most likely anyway instead of driving 30 minutes home. Do I go and risk that he texts me in the middle of the movie and wants to be picked up?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I have tickets for tomorrow 7.30pm

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Early reviews aren't very impressive, sitting on 55% on rotten tomatoes - which I believe is the second worst in the MCU.

Offline The Realm

Yeah, I have to admit I am immediately turned off from even going to see this movie when I see how poor the reviews are.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Can't make the Saturday showing anymore, do actually changed my ticket for Thursday at 6:15  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Can't make the Saturday showing anymore, do actually changed my ticket for Thursday at 6:15  :metal

And since you are east coast, you'll be seeing it 3 hours before me  :metal

Online Adami

Early reviews aren't very impressive, sitting on 55% on rotten tomatoes - which I believe is the second worst in the MCU.

RT scores before it's open is a meaningless score.

But yes, the reviews have been mixed for sure. Not much purely negative, just a good amount of blah.

I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6, but from what I've read, it boils (largely) down to two things.

1) MCU being MCU. This is movie 31. So people are getting bored of MCU doing the same thing they keep doing. The hits work by and large, but we might be looking for something new. A new tone, a new style, a new voice, but they keep doing the same thing by and large. It's like the comments in the Kamelot thread. New song is exactly like other songs. People who love that thing enjoy the song, other people can enjoy the song to a degree but are getting bored hearing the same thing over and over.

2) MCU is getting lost in the big picture. If this movie (and I'm sure it will) won't make full sense until 2025 when we see everything else, then it's hard to enjoy right now. They may be too focused on the big picture, forgetting that we're not privy to it and we still need to enjoy the movie as a movie and not JUST a piece of a puzzle. Ideally, it would be both.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

RT scores before it's open is a meaningless score.

But yes, the reviews have been mixed for sure. Not much purely negative, just a good amount of blah.

I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6, but from what I've read, it boils (largely) down to two things.

1) MCU being MCU. This is movie 31. So people are getting bored of MCU doing the same thing they keep doing. The hits work by and large, but we might be looking for something new. A new tone, a new style, a new voice, but they keep doing the same thing by and large. It's like the comments in the Kamelot thread. New song is exactly like other songs. People who love that thing enjoy the song, other people can enjoy the song to a degree but are getting bored hearing the same thing over and over.

2) MCU is getting lost in the big picture. If this movie (and I'm sure it will) won't make full sense until 2025 when we see everything else, then it's hard to enjoy right now. They may be too focused on the big picture, forgetting that we're not privy to it and we still need to enjoy the movie as a movie and not JUST a piece of a puzzle. Ideally, it would be both.

A fair few point towards a general lack of fun in this one.

Online Adami

That's fair. I'll find out tomorrow!
fanticide.bandcamp.com