Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania - On D+ & Home Video! (Spoilers)  (Read 5908 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The few things I see repeatedly in the reviews that intrigue me... Jonathan Majors slays as Kang, and this is by far the most sci-fi heavy MCU film to date. Also hearing good things about MODOK...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
The few things I see repeatedly in the reviews that intrigue me... Jonathan Majors slays as Kang, and this is by far the most sci-fi heavy MCU film to date. Also hearing good things about MODOK...

I've heard two of those things. I haven't heard anything good about MODOK yet though. But MODOK is a WEIRD character and I'll be as open minded as possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I think we all knew Majors would crush it going into this anyways. He was unbelievable in Lovecraft Country, and his small bit in Loki was such a good teaser of things to come.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
There was a review that basically said "If you can ignore the plot.. bla bla bla" and at the end the rating was 4/5. I'm sorry but you can't say "just ignore the most important part of a movie and it's 4/5" almost giving it a perfect score.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

There was a review that basically said "If you can ignore the plot.. bla bla bla" and at the end the rating was 4/5. I'm sorry but you can't say "just ignore the most important part of a movie and it's 4/5" almost giving it a perfect score.  :lol

So basically for them, Plot only accou ts for 1/5th of a film score? What are the other four fifths - acting performances, special effects, cinematography/direction, and music?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Watched this last night.

I’ll say this: never base your movie experience through some pompous online "critic", Rotten Tomatoes has been irrelevant for years.

Other than MODOK, it was great. MODOK's story was totally irrelevant, plus the VFX for him were meh.

To me, Jonatan Majors performance stole the show.

I am glad they didn’t went ALL in with Kang’s powers on this one. There’s too much to be unveiled until we get to Kangs Dinasty.

PS: one mid credit and one post credit scene. The last one being my favorite.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I'm going to try and catch this in the theater. Still need to watch the last Black Panther.

I could care less what critics say. Some of my favorite movies have been destroyed by critics so if they hate it, I'll most likely love it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I'm going to try and catch this in the theater. Still need to watch the last Black Panther.

I could care less what critics say. Some of my favorite movies have been destroyed by critics so if they hate it, I'll most likely love it.

Totally.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Thought it was alright. I like Paul Rudd and Jonathan Majors was great as the bad guy. Did not care that much for how hard this tried to bring Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy vibes, and in my opinion it's almost a disappointment that from a creative standpoint you make the quantum realm look like a place that might as well be planets in space featured in the Guardians movies. Just felt like a missed opportunity that this place didn't feel more unique/different. Story was eh, didn't really care for Cassie that much. MODOK was just played for laughs.

Overall it was okay. Had a decent time but won't rush to re-watch it anytime soon. Still kinda surprised we already got through Phase 4 because it feels like nothing really happened at all and the movies were mostly in the bottom third of the MCU films.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Sitting at the movies  :corn

Edit: :tup liked it
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:07:24 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not fantastic, but a good deal of fun. Majors was soooooo good.

Edit-that final post credit scene though  :omg:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:44:11 PM by lonestar »

Offline Adami

Similar to Lonestar, but I did have a lot of problems with the script. Still enjoyed it very much. Would probably place it around the same as Black Widow or so, below Shang-Chi, Spider-man, and Wakanda Forever but way above Thor 4, Doc 2, and Eternals.

I'll go into much more when we can discuss spoilers but their writers are becoming a huge let down. I think their trend of hiring TV writers for their movies these days is proving to be a mistake. It may have worked with a few people in the past, but I think at this point they need to hire movie writers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Similar to Lonestar, but I did have a lot of problems with the script. Still enjoyed it very much. Would probably place it around the same as Black Widow or so, below Shang-Chi, Spider-man, and Wakanda Forever but way above Thor 4, Doc 2, and Eternals.

I'll go into much more when we can discuss spoilers but their writers are becoming a huge let down. I think their trend of hiring TV writers for their movies these days is proving to be a mistake. It may have worked with a few people in the past, but I think at this point they need to hire movie writers.

Agree, while I liked the movie, is definitely far from great, and part of that could have been fixed with some tweaks to the script.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
As a fan of these characters and being highly invested in the MCU I enjoyed this movie enough, but objectively I understand the negatives coming out around this one - it honestly isn't a very good stand alone movie.  Probably need a rewatch to properly place this, but I'm thinking it's better than Iron Man 2 and Eternals - but not much higher than that (bit like ant-man 2).  Weak start to Phase 5, not even that sold on Kang (love the actor, no issue with the performance) just not sold on the character yet.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
We'll expand on the character of Kang once the spoiler ban is lifted, they left that story wide open.

Offline jammindude

As a fan of these characters and being highly invested in the MCU I enjoyed this movie enough, but objectively I understand the negatives coming out around this one - it honestly isn't a very good stand alone movie.  Probably need a rewatch to properly place this, but I'm thinking it's better than Iron Man 2 and Eternals - but not much higher than that (bit like ant-man 2).  Weak start to Phase 5, not even that sold on Kang (love the actor, no issue with the performance) just not sold on the character yet.

I don’t think that criticism of Kang is warranted. If “slow build” and “growing threat” is the goal, then you absolutely do NOT want anything more than a mild taste for his first major motion picture appearance. I won’t be seeing it til tomorrow, but if I got anything more than a “tease” of his character strength at this early stage, I’d be disappointed.  I want to see his capabilities gradually revealed over several movies.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

I don’t think that criticism of Kang is warranted. If “slow build” and “growing threat” is the goal, then you absolutely do NOT want anything more than a mild taste for his first major motion picture appearance. I won’t be seeing it til tomorrow, but if I got anything more than a “tease” of his character strength at this early stage, I’d be disappointed.  I want to see his capabilities gradually revealed over several movies.

No spoilers just think the character was sold short in the rather tame ending to this movie.  All setup, little payoff - which is why I said it's not a great stand alone movie. 

Offline Adami

No spoilers just think the character was sold short in the rather tame ending to this movie.  All setup, little payoff - which is why I said it's not a great stand alone movie.

Within this movie, I actually agree. Maybe it will be completely recontextualized later, but right now, with this movie, I agree. I get that Marvel needs to set up the next 5 movies and that doesn't bother me, but it can't be at the expense of the movie at hand. I don't care if you need to have seen 30 other movies to fully get this one, but I need to walk away from this one feeling a sense of satisfaction and completion and I didn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's what she said.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

In the theater now. Movie starting in 20 minutes.

Offline jammindude

That movie was fantastic! You’re all high!

Offline jammindude

Also, I might have mentioned this before, but Michelle Pfiefer is 10 times more beautiful at 60 than she was at 30.

But I do have a thing about long silver hair. Hate it when older women cut their hair short (often giving the excuse that “long hair is for the young.”)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, I might have mentioned this before, but Michelle Pfiefer is 10 times more beautiful at 60 than she was at 30.

I'm right there with ya.  She looked incredible.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I think I'm mostly in line with Zantera's assessment.  I didn't like the treatment of MODOK.  But I didn't mind that the Quantum Realm was actually a place / society, and not simply what we saw/knew of it in the two prior movies.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

I'm right there with ya.  She looked incredible.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I think I'm mostly in line with Zantera's assessment.  I didn't like the treatment of MODOK.  But I didn't mind that the Quantum Realm was actually a place / society, and not simply what we saw/knew of it in the two prior movies.

I didn’t love everything about MODOK but I really came around on him. Despite the fact that he could be better.

I had issues with the plot and general script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

Was he different in the comic? Because I’m genuinely not having an issue. I thought he managed to strike a fine balance of genuine threat and comic relief.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Saw this last night. It felt like a cartoon. I prefer the MCU films more grounded in reality, but plot-wise it was fine. Majors did a great job as others have said. MODOK was pretty stupid, IMO, but I have no comic book knowledge of what he's supposed to be. Over-all a lower-middle of the pack movie in the MCU, which pretty much means entertaining and enjoyable, but nothing that really stands out or demands to be rewatched.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I caught a showing on Thursday and overall I enjoyed it but I wouldn't put it in a top tier for MCU movies. No major issues with the story and the cast was solid. Jonathan Majors was great, can't wait to see him continue on with various versions of Kang over the next few years. I didn't mind MODOK, but I don't know the source material at all so I didn't have any expectations going in.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

Saw this last night after getting home from vacation. Definitely a FUN movie, if a bit whacky at times. I found myself suspending my disbelief more than a few times, but honestly, that's part for the course for the Ant-Man films.

Kang/Majors is a delight, and I'm excited to see more of him in the future.

As for spoiler talk, I will open the thread to full spoilers starting tomorrow, as it'll have been a week since release last Thursday, so if anyone wants to post any more NON-SPOILER thoughts or reviews, do it by tomorrow afternoon/evening! Spoiler-talk will begin by tomorrow night!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Skeever

Thought it was alright. I like Paul Rudd and Jonathan Majors was great as the bad guy. Did not care that much for how hard this tried to bring Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy vibes, and in my opinion it's almost a disappointment that from a creative standpoint you make the quantum realm look like a place that might as well be planets in space featured in the Guardians movies. Just felt like a missed opportunity that this place didn't feel more unique/different. Story was eh, didn't really care for Cassie that much. MODOK was just played for laughs.

Overall it was okay. Had a decent time but won't rush to re-watch it anytime soon. Still kinda surprised we already got through Phase 4 because it feels like nothing really happened at all and the movies were mostly in the bottom third of the MCU films.

Agree with this. I had fun at the theater, but the setting felt very uninspired. I didn't feel like the Quantum Realm was a real place, in the end, but more like a disappointing, one-region open world video game. 

But, I did have a good time seeing it in the theaters, and there were some fun surprises.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Spoiler-talk will begin by tomorrow night!
Guess we are good to discuss?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Darren was in fact, a dick.

I was disappointed that the 'high stakes' only came to pass via the mid-credit scene.  They could've/should've left Scott and Hope in the Quantum realm for the time being, or killed off Cassie.  I mean, with all the multi-verses opening up, it's easy enough to bring any character back at any time.

Also, minor nit ... how do Cassie and Scott 'open up' their helmets when in giant form?  That kinda bugged me (pun not intended).

I'll never understand why bad-guys, who intend to kill their captives, don't just fucking kill them straight away.  And Kang could've just taken Scott's 'schrinking' discs away from him in order to get his power sphere, couldn't he.  I enjoyed the movie, but there were just a handful of 'c'mon' moments.

Offline The Letter M

Just changed the thread title to reflect spoilers will now be allowed! Feel free to post your spoiler-y thoughts and reviews now!!

My quick spoiler-thoughts - I feel like this film was written as a vehicle for Kang, and not that that's necessarily a BAD thing, but it felt just as much his film as it did Scott Lang's. I feel like the trailers built up the Dad/Daughter dynamic a lot more than the film let on, and while there were some tender moments between Scott and Cassie, I feel like it could've been the whole focus of the film, or just daughters in general (though that much would've been a retread of themes from the first two films). I feel like Hope took a back seat in this film, and had less memorable moments than even her parents.

More later, as I just got in to work, but over-all, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I had hoped or expected it to be. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future with more rewatches but as it stands, it's in the upper-mid tier for me.

-Marc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Darren was in fact, a dick.

I was disappointed that the 'high stakes' only came to pass via the mid-credit scene.  They could've/should've left Scott and Hope in the Quantum realm for the time being, or killed off Cassie.  I mean, with all the multi-verses opening up, it's easy enough to bring any character back at any time.

Also, minor nit ... how do Cassie and Scott 'open up' their helmets when in giant form?  That kinda bugged me (pun not intended).

I'll never understand why bad-guys, who intend to kill their captives, don't just fucking kill them straight away.  And Kang could've just taken Scott's 'schrinking' discs away from him in order to get his power sphere, couldn't he.  I enjoyed the movie, but there were just a handful of 'c'mon' moments.

With you on all that.

I asked myself why Kang just didn't kill Janet after she messed up his plans for the second time, but I ended up with the conclusion that this Kang is not really "evil". The way he described things, he wanted the same thing as He Who Remains, and he just wanted to achieve his goal by any means necessary, similar to Thanos. There were A LOT of similarities to Thanos with this Kang.

An issue with this movie is that beyond Paul Rudd and Mayors, the acting was not great, and just awkward at time, with strange choice in dialogue lines. Some of the plot lines were written poorly. Also, I agree that you never really feel the high stakes in this movie until it is over. Which is not a bad thing in its own (Marvel playing the long game with Kang), but before the movie came out, I seriously thought we were going to see Scott die. I'm glad they didn't get stuck in the Quantum Realm (Too similar to the end of Ant-Man 2).

But overall, I enjoyed this movie, with its flaws and all. I don't believe for a second that this is the end of this version of Kang. The ending was eerie. I want to re-watch the movie but the ending felt similar to the ending of Loki S1, where Loki was back in the TVA but things weren't the same.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I enjoyed the movie, but there were just a handful of 'c'mon' moments.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel (although we may have different specifics on why).  Good movie.  I enjoyed it.  But some moments that were, as you said, "c'mon, man!" type moments.

...I ended up with the conclusion that this Kang is not really "evil". The way he described things, he wanted the same thing as He Who Remains, and he just wanted to achieve his goal by any means necessary, similar to Thanos.

I don't believe for a second that this is the end of this version of Kang.

Too early to tell, of course, but I think this version of Kang is He Who Remains, and is still alive.  I think it's a variant that is earlier along the journey, and is set to unleash Alioth to win the multiversal war and become He Who Remains later on.  Too many similarities.  But I guess we'll see. 

A completely unrelated minor annoyance I had was that Scott has been to the quantum realm before, but didn't get any inkling that anything we saw in this movie existed.  I think the idea is that it is a vast place, and they only ended up where they did in this film because Modok drew them to that specific location in the QR.  But I think that needed to be explained just a bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."