Author Topic: Concerts for 2023  (Read 29550 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Concerts for 2023
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2023, 12:50:42 PM »
You mean my camera? Yes

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2023, 12:59:38 PM »
You mean my camera? Yes

Sweet....let me know when your video goes live, I'll share it to the fan groups and get you some solid traffic. There's been a dearth of good quality videos shot from this tour, just the crappy cell cam stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2023, 01:21:24 PM »
You mean my camera? Yes

Sweet....let me know when your video goes live, I'll share it to the fan groups and get you some solid traffic. There's been a dearth of good quality videos shot from this tour, just the crappy cell cam stuff.

:tup hopefully I get some good stuff

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2023, 01:40:30 PM »
I hope so too!! I know the set well enough at this point I could probably give you time stamps on which musician to focus on when  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2023, 05:44:53 PM »
All right, sealed the deal and got the ticket for Matt Nathanson.  $23.00 on Stubhub in a venue that's like 5 minutes away from me.  Neat.  This will be a great change of pace pallet of a show.

Matt Nathanson - Garden Amp - Garden Grove, California.  March 16th, 2023.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: March 16, 2023, 04:23:04 PM »
Sitting waiting for Riverside!

The Cyberiam dudes were sound checking when we came in, so got a mini pre-show  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2023, 04:26:56 PM »

The Cyberiam dudes were sound checking when we came in, so got a mini pre-show  :metal

Fuck yeah!!! Riverside killed it out here, enjoy!!! Just pray you don't run into Nick there...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2023, 04:45:41 PM »

Fuck yeah!!! Riverside killed it out here, enjoy!!! Just pray you don't run into Nick there...
I'm pretty sure I see him standing by the stage lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2023, 04:47:03 PM »
 :lol

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2023, 06:08:34 PM »
Saw Hällas and Danava last night in LA, sold out show and Hällas' 2nd-ever show in the US after the tour started in San Diego on Tuesday.  I discovered Hällas right at the beginning of the lockdowns and they've been a regular listen for me ever since, so I was stoked that they finally made it to the US and were so well received  :hefdaddy

Awesome show and highly recommend catching either band if they come near you, here's a live video Hällas recently shared to get a sense of their sound  :metal
https://youtu.be/CwPVjGpDD9E

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2023, 12:52:32 AM »
Saw Hällas and Danava last night in LA, sold out show and Hällas' 2nd-ever show in the US after the tour started in San Diego on Tuesday.  I discovered Hällas right at the beginning of the lockdowns and they've been a regular listen for me ever since, so I was stoked that they finally made it to the US and were so well received  :hefdaddy

Awesome show and highly recommend catching either band if they come near you, here's a live video Hällas recently shared to get a sense of their sound  :metal
https://youtu.be/CwPVjGpDD9E

I only discovered Hällas last year, and even though their new album didn't make top 25 or anything, it was damn good!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2023, 06:11:51 AM »
Riverside put up a great show last night, they sounded amazing and were just having fun out there. I thought closing the show with Conceiving You was a kind of a strange choice, but I think it worked out with the extended instrumentals. The new album works pretty well live, great energy  :metal

Also, I am 100% that was nick at the front, I didn't go up to say hi but that was certainly him.

No shows for me until May 3rd - Coheed and Cambria :corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2023, 06:39:07 AM »
I'm still a bit jetlagged so hopefully I'm not too tired tonight for Muse and Evanescence at the Garden! I got these tickets for my gf as I'm not too into either band myself, but ive never seen either and have been warming up to Muse lately in prep for the show. I'm just very excited to be back at a concert though, it's been a long 3 weeks between shows.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2023, 07:20:11 AM »
From everything I've heard, Muse puts on a tremendous show. Anxious to hear your take.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2023, 09:12:45 AM »
From everything I've heard, Muse puts on a tremendous show. Anxious to hear your take.

I watched their tour prep video on youtube and it looked like they have a really cool stage show.  It's also essentially sold out besides some side stage late release tickets (for $200, damn). I paid $218 for 2 tickets during the presale, which looks like a great call by my gf to look for tickets.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
Great night of Ska last night. I truly love the community at these shows. I was literally asked if I wanted to get in front of people because they saw how short I was. Everyone is courteous and looks out for each other. If anyone is looking for a female fronted ska band I would highly recommend Catbite. They put on a great show and I really like the tone of her voice. They it played a great cover of No Doubt - Sunday Morning and now I hope there will be a 30 year anniversary tour of Tragic Kingdom.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2023, 09:16:41 AM »
So last night (this morning) Nemophila played SXSW, and sort some stupid reason were given a 1-2am slot. Then thunderstorms hit, pushing the set back an hour. On bud of mine posted that they ended up playing to like 50 people. I'm sure the fans appreciate the intimate show but it sucks that the girls couldn't get a better slot and exposure at such a huge event.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2023, 12:53:27 PM »
Tickets to the sold out Spiritbox show finally dropped to a reasonable $125,snatched one up. Really stoked for this one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2023, 01:57:10 PM »
Brother just scored us tickets to Love and Rockets...May is getting crowded...

Feb 26- Riverside, Cornerstone in Berkeley
March 7th - Nemophila, Goldfield Trading Post, Sacramento
March 8th - Nemophila, Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
April 14 - Spiritbox & Intervals, Ace of Spades, Sacramento
May 6th - Bloodywood, Sacramento
May 11th - Rolling Quartz, Bottom of the Hill
May 21st - Love and Rockets, Fox Theater, Oakland
May 25th - Haken, August Hall, San Francisco
June 30 - Tarja UC Theater, Berkeley
October 6 - Tool, Coheed and Cambria, The Hu, Hanabie and others... Aftershock Festival, Sacramento

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2023, 02:20:15 PM »
Tickets to the sold out Spiritbox show finally dropped to a reasonable $125,snatched one up. Really stoked for this one.

Damn, I listed my ticket for the 2nd NYC show for $80 and I'm not sure someone will buy it at that price.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2023, 02:24:48 PM »

Damn, I listed my ticket for the 2nd NYC show for $80 and I'm not sure someone will buy it at that price.

They were pushing 200 for a while, so I saw them drop and snatched one up.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »
Saw Riverside the other night and while they were really good (especially the "new" songs), it wasn't as energetic a performance as I saw them put out last year! Still, very enjoyable!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2023, 01:15:29 PM »
Friday night was Muse and Evanescence at a sold out madison square garden.  This was a great concert and I'm not huge into either bands.  My gf wanted to go when it was announced so I got us some tickets thinking it would be more of a concert for her... but little did I know how much I'd love the concert. 

Evanescence is just OK for me.  They have some songs that are enjoyable, but mostly, I would say it's not really my style.  I did, however, think Amy Lee was incredible live.  Not only did she sound great, she was just so energetic and really brought the A game for a frontwoman.  It was cool to see, from my above view, the stage center open up and close as the piano was brought in and out during one of the songs.  One odd moment was during the final song, Bring Me To life, Amy finally went down to the end of the catwalk for basically the climax of the song... just to have the spotlight be completely off her and on the crowd in front of her instead  :facepalm: literally couldn't see her because they fucked up the lighting. I thought the band sounded pretty tight.  Not really a band I love, but a very solid opening performance. 

Muse put on one hell of a show.  I only knew a couple of the most popular songs as of recently.  Muse really were never on my radar so I never actually checked them out.  When my gf mentioned wanting to go, I thought about the two Dream Theater songs that people would say were Muse inspired and didn't hesitate to decide I'd go see the show.  I had listened to more of the popular songs and got their latest album "Will of the People" recently and I must say, I was shocked to see how musically interesting I found them.  I guess I see why they can be associated with prog music. 

Having said that, I still was not quite sure what to expect live.  I didn't quite realize we were going to get a real artistic expression of music and display.  Stage show was easily up there with some of the best.  A few different backdrops/props to create very different feels throughout the show.  The final samurai reminded me of something that Iron Maiden would do with Eddie.  The masks.  The lighting.  The confetti.  The massive amounts of fire.  It was just a huge scale stage show.

Now that's just what was going on around them.  Their performance was pretty incredible.  The singer/guitarist really was amazing live.  I'm not sure I really love his vocals, but he definitely impressed with his musical abilities.  The guitar solos were great for example.  The cool tones for certan songs were unique and interesting.  The bassist was also very strong, setting some of the best grooves of the night.  The crowd was very loud too.  I didn't really know most of the words, but it seemed like I was one of the few as the loud singing from the crowd added another layer to the incredible sound and show. 

I'm officially a Muse fan now

Muse & Evanescence LIVE @ SOLD OUT Madison Square Garden New York 2023

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2023, 01:35:17 PM »
I had no idea The Muse were that big.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2023, 03:06:16 PM »
I had no idea The Muse were that big.

I knew Muse (the? lol haven't heard them called The Muse) were popular, but I definitely weren't aware of how rock/prog they were. I just thought they were more poppy.  Did not expect to be blown away by their show like that.

The show on Saturday may have suffered from having to live up to that the next day.  I was also pretty tired and was debating about actually going to the show.  But I had never seen Steel Panther before and I liked the opener, Crobot, when I saw them last summer so I mustered up the energy to get to the show.  Sadly, I got there a bit later than I wanted and missed the first few Crobot songs.  They are a groovy rock band, energetic singer and totally live.  I definitely enjoy them, but not enough to want to get the album.  A good opener though.  Best part of the set though had to be when someone got on stage and try to play the guitar before the singer chased him off the stage followed by the guitarist and then the guitar suddenly goes out  :lol (You can see this at the 4:30 mark of the video I shared below)

I understand Steel Panther are a parody act.  So I definitely knew not to take their music too seriously.  I had also seen some live performances online where girls come on stage and take their tops off.  I expected some debauchery and definitely got some.  Let's start with the musical side.  I was not impressed at all with the vocals.  But Maybe that's part of the parody?  Ya know, to sound similar to the rest of the 80s metal vocalists today?  Because his voice sounded like that.  I don't normally rip on these singers too harshly because I know they've gone through the ringer and being the original guy is just as important as being able to sing in some cases.  I'm not sure this guy falls into that catagory, but it should be stated, I wasn't impressed from a vocals standpoint.  However, the guitarist was great.  He showed off his chops and while I think he was trashed (between songs, he sounded wasted and admitted to drinking heavily before the show) he still performed the songs well including nailing some Eddie Van Halen.  He also called the venue StarRoom and not Starland Ballroom  :rollin that got a good laugh out of me because it was in amidst of talking about enjoying the venue (while it's my first time, I believe playing here is fairly common for them). 

There was a lot of talk between songs.  Most of it the goofing off kind.  But they did band introductions that seemed like it took 15 minutes with all the jokes.  It dragged too long.  They also brought a girl on stage and did a song for her, which was half funny half cringe.  I guess I could say there's a fine line between dirty jokes that make them really funny or really cringy and they were constantly battling along those lines.  It was so hit or miss for me.  I think they managed to convince this girl to take her top off, I couldn't see from my angle  :lol but the begging for it was along the cringe side of things.  If the girl just did it more organically, it wouldn't feel so dirty than to have a bunch of old dudes cheering for it. 

The same girl eventually was proposed to before the next song.  That was actually kind of cool, assuming it was seriously.  I honestly couldn't tell at that point  :lol

They did a cover of You Really Got me with some special guests. They brought out Jerry Gaskill from King's X on drums and Ted DeSalvio from Black Label Society on bass.  Probably the highlight of the set for me to see similar to an all star cover song.

For the final song of the set (before the encore) they must have had 20 girls on stage from the crowd dancing.  Definitely a fun moment watching the singer dance with them.  For as much as I felt cringe at times, the women certainly didn't seem to feel the same.  And I must say, there were a lot of women at this show.  Definitely a fun night, but didn't come close to being as epic as Muse the night before.

Steel Panther & Crobot LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayrevlille NJ 3/18/2023

Leaving work soon to head into NYC for Nemophila tonight!  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2023, 04:12:25 PM »

:heart :metal

A buddy of mine messaged me, guess the line is already huge. It's the tour finale, and their first east coast show ever, so I'm expecting this one to be off the fucking hook. Can't wait to hear your report man!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2023, 04:48:22 PM »
Muse, in the states, are a solidified arena act.  In Europe, undisputed stadium/festival headliners.

I do want to nabbed a ticket for their show in either LA or Anaheim.  Already seen Evanescence in 2021 and liked their set a lot better than when I saw them in 2018, so whatever they bring as a main support act before Muse would be fine with me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2023, 04:55:55 PM »

A buddy of mine messaged me, guess the line is already huge. It's the tour finale, and their first east coast show ever, so I'm expecting this one to be off the fucking hook. Can't wait to hear your report man!!

Yup, the line is around the block. Doors should open soon at 7, I assume they go on sometime after 8 but before 830? With no opener I can't imagine them waiting till 9 to start. I certainly hope not.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2023, 05:07:09 PM »

Yup, the line is around the block. Doors should open soon at 7, I assume they go on sometime after 8 but before 830? With no opener I can't imagine them waiting till 9 to start. I certainly hope not.

They started at 8:30 for the one show I saw without an opener

Can't deny it, I'm hella jealous of you right now :lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:12:29 PM by lonestar »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2023, 09:16:12 PM »
Friday night was Muse and Evanescence at a sold out madison square garden.  This was a great concert and I'm not huge into either band, but little did I know how much I'd love the concert. 

Evanescence is just OK for me.  They have some songs that are enjoyable, but mostly, I would say it's not really my style.  I did, however, think Amy Lee was incredible live.  Not only did she sound great, she was just so energetic and really brought the A game for a frontwoman.  It was cool to see, from my above view, the stage center open up and close as the piano was brought in and out during one of the songs.  One odd moment was during the final song, Bring Me To life, Amy finally went down to the end of the catwalk for basically the climax of the song... just to have the spotlight be completely off her and on the crowd in front of her instead  :facepalm: literally couldn't see her because they fucked up the lighting. I thought the band sounded pretty tight.  Not really a band I love, but a very solid opening performance.

Before I give my "get off my lawn" review of Muse, I'll start with saying I felt Evanescence was FANTASTIC! First time ever seeing them, but I've been a fan since the beginning! I actually LOVED their use of the lights and strobes MUCH BETTER than Muse (more on that later). Anyway, Amy was phenomenal, and I thoroughly enjoyed their 60-minute performance, that for me, FLEW BY!

Muse put on one hell of a show. I didn't quite realize we were going to get a real artistic expression of music and display.  Stage show was easily up there with some of the best.  A few different backdrops/props to create very different feels throughout the show.  The masks.  The lighting.  The confetti.  The massive amounts of fire.  It was just a huge scale stage show.

This was my 4th time seeing Muse ('07 MSG, '10 MSG, '16 & '23 in Philly) and for me, I'm a fan musically of them first and foremost. The show in '07 was BY FAR the best Muse show for me of the 4. That show had great lights and a terrific performance. Since then, each subsequent tour I've seen has become more & more cliche. I feel they've fallen into the same scene as U2 in the '90's and 2K where technology has taken over their shows to the point of ridiculousness. This leads me to last night's show and my 2 main viewpoints.
1. Stage backdrops - Opened the show with a cool 'WOTP' fire cross. Very cool, but after the 4th song (and a mood, vibe and flow KILLER) a video interlude was played as a huge 'mask' with a lighted hand was now the backdrop. The masked head DID NOTHING but move left and right. Yeah, looked nice but was a complete waste, especially after killing the flow of the show setting it up. Another useless video precursor led to a different wall of lights backdrop (which should have just been used throughout the show) but once again, KILLED the flow. Finally for the encore, another backdrop of a samurai had taken over, and even I thought THAT was cool, but all in all, just TOO MUCH!
2. Lighting & effects - No issue here with the lights. Muse ALWAYS have a nice light show! The effects were pretty much boring and childish. There's a time to use flames (I guess. They've NEVER impressed me) but when half the songs played have flames shooting, what's the point? And, the shooting off of confetti & streamers is SO DAMN LAME :loser:! That has "boy band" written all over it. Give me the days of dry ice, flash pots and lasers any day over this stuff!

Their performance was pretty incredible.  The singer/guitarist really was amazing live. The guitar solos were great for example.  The cool tones for certain songs were unique and interesting.  The bassist was also very strong, setting some of the best grooves of the night. 

Will agree 100% here. They gave forth a really great performance, which leads me back to why they need all the other nonsense? I LOVE a BIG PRODUCTION but Muse, in my opinion takes it so far, it hurts the show!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2023, 02:29:53 AM »
Finally going to my first gig of the year tomorrow, and it's King fucking Gizzard and the Lizard goddamn Wizard  :metal

I'm so unbelievably pumped for this. Anyone else seeing then this year. Cram, you like to go check out live bands, even if you may not know much about the band/their music. If you get a chance, check them out!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »
This was my 4th time seeing Muse ('07 MSG, '10 MSG, '16 & '23 in Philly) and for me, I'm a fan musically of them first and foremost. The show in '07 was BY FAR the best Muse show for me of the 4. That show had great lights and a terrific performance. Since then, each subsequent tour I've seen has become more & more cliche. I feel they've fallen into the same scene as U2 in the '90's and 2K where technology has taken over their shows to the point of ridiculousness. This leads me to last night's show and my 2 main viewpoints.
1. Stage backdrops - Opened the show with a cool 'WOTP' fire cross. Very cool, but after the 4th song (and a mood, vibe and flow KILLER) a video interlude was played as a huge 'mask' with a lighted hand was now the backdrop. The masked head DID NOTHING but move left and right. Yeah, looked nice but was a complete waste, especially after killing the flow of the show setting it up. Another useless video precursor led to a different wall of lights backdrop (which should have just been used throughout the show) but once again, KILLED the flow. Finally for the encore, another backdrop of a samurai had taken over, and even I thought THAT was cool, but all in all, just TOO MUCH!
2. Lighting & effects - No issue here with the lights. Muse ALWAYS have a nice light show! The effects were pretty much boring and childish. There's a time to use flames (I guess. They've NEVER impressed me) but when half the songs played have flames shooting, what's the point? And, the shooting off of confetti & streamers is SO DAMN LAME :loser:! That has "boy band" written all over it. Give me the days of dry ice, flash pots and lasers any day over this stuff!

I'd imagine your experience over my noobness towards Muse plays a role in our enjoyment of the stage show, but I really thought the Mask stage was the best of them all. I'm also a sucker for pyro so the more the better for me and one reason why Rammstein have the best stage show.  As for the confetti and streamers.... yeah, I can see what you mean about the boy band feel, but the two songs for those were also the songs that seemed most appropriate as neither were rock songs with a perfect timing to use them at a vocal climax in the songs. Either way, sounds like you still enjoyed it even if it falls as your least favorite of their shows. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2023, 10:24:28 AM »
Oh yeah, the show was still enjoyable for sure! I just have seen too many concerts in the last 50 years (the way you're going you'll beat my number for sure :hefdaddy) and I find myself getting annoyed (for lack of better term) when the flow of a concert is stalled just to change stage design.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2023, 11:16:30 AM »
Man, I have not been keeping up to date with this thread. My list for the year with a couple additions (BtBaM and Morsefest) and one subtraction (Polyphia)

Jan 27th - Alter Bridge @ Hard Rock, Orlando FL
Feb 18th - Riverside @ The Abbey, Orlando FL
Mar 26th - Winery Dogs @ The Plaza, Orlando FL
Apr 14th - Umphrey's Mcgee @ House of Blues, Orlando FL
May 16th - Haken @ The Beacham, Orlando FL
May 20th - Plini @ The Abbey, Orlando FL
July 29th- Between the Buried and Me + Thank You Scientist @ The Beacham, Orlando FL
Aug 4th - Metallica @ Metlife, East Rutherford NJ
Aug 6th - Metallica @ Metlife, East Rutherford NJ
August 11th- Neal Morse Band @ Morsefest 2023 TN
August 12th- Neal Morse Band @ Morsefest 2023 TN

Two concerts in the books so far this year. Alter Bridge were very good in late January. The band sounded great, and while I know a lot of the big AB fans weren't happy with how safe the setlists for this tour were, as someone who's only seen them once a good number of years ago I thought it was great. It was a little bit short though. Also, Wolfie Van Halen was a strong opener.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but  I wasn't all that blown away by Riverside this time around. I came into the night with high hopes because I've enjoyed their sets on CttE before and I really like the new album, but I found the set to be overall a but underwhleming. The setlist was fine and the guyssounded fine, but it all felt very robotic/mechanical from the band.
Photobucket sucks.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2023, 11:22:35 AM »
new

3/22 Toto in Minneapolis
4/7 Black Belt Eagle Scout in Minneapolis
4/23 Micky Dolenz in Milwaukee
4/29 Micky Dolenz in Minneapolis
5/30 Janet Jackson in St.Paul
7/7 Ours in St.Paul
10/3 Peter Gabriel in St.Paul