Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 83654 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
I do agree with WDADU.  After the first few songs, the melancholy kinda fizzles into mere boredom.  Still an awesome album though.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
I think the album is great, but well... it isn't perfect.
Even though i can listen to all of it, and i find like 85% of the songs on the album to be 5/5:ers, i still gotta say that the album (and maybe Katatonia in general) sounds a bit repetitive.
My favorites from the album would be "Onward Into Battle" and "The Promise of Deceit", also i think "Forsaker", "Idle Blood" and "Liberation" deserves to be mentioned.
But well, if i compare this album to other great albums that have been released this year, it still lacks something, i can't put my finger on exactly what.

So to keep it short; Great album, great individual songs, but lacks a bit of the "whole-picture-feeling" imo.
But that's my 5 cents.  :hat

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
I love how the album starts off. But every other song that comes around manages to sound duller than the previous one. Jonas' seems to have the vocal reach about the size of a minor 3rd interval. It's nothing. Cool voice though.

I've been trying, but I guess Katatonia isn't for me after all. The only songs that struck a bit of a chord with me are 'Leaders', 'Soil Song' and 'Forsaker'.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »
Have you heard anything from Dance Of December Souls or Brave Murder Day? Great albums right there. Maybe Last Fair Deal Gone Down or Viva Empiness will tickle your fancy. 
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 05:38:32 AM »
I love how the album starts off. But every other song that comes around manages to sound duller than the previous one. Jonas' seems to have the vocal reach about the size of a minor 3rd interval. It's nothing. Cool voice though.

I've been trying, but I guess Katatonia isn't for me after all. The only songs that struck a bit of a chord with me are 'Leaders', 'Soil Song' and 'Forsaker'.

What about July? Ghost of the Sun? Teargas? The Future of Speech? Sweet Nurse? Idle Blood? Departer?

But also, I think that you have to be in the right mood for Katatonia, but yes, their music is pretty repetitive, but in a good way, like say... Swallow the Sun (if you know those guys).

Hell, i'm a big fan of the band, but I have to be in the right mood for them.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »
"Forsaker" is an awesome song!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
Foreseeeeeeeeeeyyyy...ker

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »
:metal

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
I thout you said Forseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey...ken
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »
*Defibrillation*

Katatonia's new EP is out guys, with one new song and two remixes, all of which are really great :D

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »
This album is starting to grow on me a bit. Still some dull moments, but its pretty good. New Night is a fantastic song. Still, The Great Cold Distance is their best album in my opinion.

And, yes, Swallow The Sun is a fantastic band as well.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
They were very good when I saw them a week and a half ago.
Review here: https://benfyffereviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/katatonia-highbury-garage-thursday-11th.html

Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 06:37:59 PM »
Review here: https://benfyffereviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/katatonia-highbury-garage-thursday-11th.html

Interesting you saying that he was great vocals, as someone else remarked that he was lackluster at the gig they went to.

Also, I really want to see them live. I saw Swallow the Sun supporting Apocalyptica, was really great :)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »

Interesting you saying that he was great vocals, as someone else remarked that he was lackluster at the gig they went to.

Also, I really want to see them live. I saw Swallow the Sun supporting Apocalyptica, was really great :)

I thought the vocal performance was superb, better than I was expecting. Doubt they're spot on every night though.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I'm really getting into the band and going to see them on 31th March. Decided to start from The Great Cold Distance, and it's really great. :) Going to try the new album next, plus Live Consternation.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
I'm beginning to think the new one might be my favourite actually so definitely go for it!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline faemir

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
Yeah, you can't go wrong if you stick to last fair deal and onwards :tup

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Brave Murder Day is a great album too...but different to their later stuff
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
OK, so I'm more or less finished with The Great Cold Distance (meaning I'm after eight full listens I think, switching to "listening on PC" mode), and it's definitely a great album. The thing is, that it's not the kind of album that has any "where the hell is my jaw?" moments, but it's just great from start to finish. I'm completely incapable to name better or worse songs (FOR NOW I think I can point Soil's Song and especially Rusted as favourites, but...) on it, and it just perfectly holds together. I love the heavy/light contrasts, the heavy parts have amazing riffs (Consternation...), the light parts are done with great feeling. And the atmosphere is just great, will definitely be one of my albums for "bad times listening".

And I've listened to Night is the New Day for the first time - one listen is definitely not enough, but at moments I was really like "wow... is this the same band?!?". The progression is amazing, it's great to see that it has more variety (calmer parts are far calmer, the heavy parts are really HEAVY), and the vocals... had Jonas done some serious vocal practice or something? His vocals on The Great Cold Distance are really good, but here... wow, it's like he reinvented his vocal style or something.

And two songs that already have a "potential masterpieces" badge: Nephilim and Departer.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
I love it how "Idle Blood" sounds EXACTLY like Mikael Åkerfeldt singing.
Seriously, listen to it... it's ridiculous.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
I don't like Night is the New Day much because of that, Jonas Renkse sounds exactly like Mikael in Opeth's Damnation. And if I wanted to hear something like Opeth, I'd hear... Opeth.

I've become a Katatonia fan in the last months, and IMO TGCD was really good and NITND is pretty decent, but is nothing like what they did from Brave Murder Day to Viva Emptiness. 5 Depressing Masterpieces in a Row.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
OK, a bit late, but I decided to write about the concert I've been to on Wednesday in Kraków. After really liking The Great Cold Distance, instantly LOVING The Night is the New Day and also really liking some older songs, I was really looking forward to it. It turned out there were two opening bands - Long Distance Calling and Swallow The Sun, and since I already know it's always worth to see everything, I was there on time.

And I was proved right once again. The first band, Long Distance Calling, was entirely instrumental, and pretty hard to categorize for me (last.fm claims "post-rock" and "progressive rock" - well, let it be). They sounded heavier live than what I hear on the album, and I greatly enjoyed it since I first heard them. They keep a nice balance between atmosphere and technicality, with some heavier and calmer moments, and sound different than anything else I've ever heard. I decided to buy their new album, called Avoid The Light, and got to meet the band after Swallow the Sun ended playing. They were really nice and signed the CD. :) Will be giving it more listens soon, and definitely recommended for everyone.

The second band was one I had heard of before, but never heard myself - Swallow the Sun. The first impression wasn't really good, since the first song felt a bit schematic and "loud but not heavy" for me, but later... it was FAR better. The second song was already better, and the third was what I love - some experimentation (a bit reminding me of later Samael), and HEAVY riffs, with real doom feeling to it. They had a very nice balance of softer and heavier moments (and also clean singing/growls), ranging from nearly Anathema-influenced parts to some really heavy death doom, and the last song was definitely my favourite - called Swallow, apparently from their first album, and definitely the heaviest and most doom-ish. I definitely enjoyed their set and they very nicely warmed up the crowd. And btw, I really liked their behaviour - the whole band was moving and headbanging, while the vocalist. Was. Really. Doom. I mean, he was nice and thanked the audience after every song, but he was really saying. It. With. A. Doooooom. Voice. It cracked me up. :lol

---

And then, after around 25 minutes (after like 15 I was getting so impatient I thought I'm going to faint or something), a sort of epic intro with something sounding like movie samples, and 5 mysterious characters entered the stage, welcomed by great cheering of everyone (myself included). The intro ended, they turned around towards the crowd... tnnn-tnnn-tnnn... FORSAKER. Damn it, this song is a total KILLER live, the riff sounds even more amazing than on the album, and the chorus is just pure sing-along. After 30 seconds I was already in a bit of a different world, they can create an incredible atmosphere, and the sound and performance was simply BRILLIANT. There's absolutely nothing, no matter how difficult, they got wrong (instrumentally and vocally - I had been afraid Jonas may not be able to pull off some parts live, he did better than I could have expected), and also the sound was nearly perfect, everything sounded clean, but the guitars had this amazing, crunchy sound I love. After Forsaker they played Liberation, which I also really like, and also proved a great song. Then there was the "crowd favourite but I don't worship it" :lol type of song - My Twin. I won't describe all songs in detail, as ALL worked great, including the older ones I hadn't known, but I have to make some exceptions.

The first, and greatest one, which was hands down one of the most amazing live experiences of my life... I had heard it on Live Consternation, and knew what to expect. So, Jonas announced it like always: "This is another song from the Viva Emptiness record - this one is called GHOST..."
[immediately joined by me] ...OF THE SUN!!!
"TOTAL KILLER" is an understatement for this song. The opening riff is one of the most amazing live things ever, and the chorus beats every other powerful sing-along chorus on this side of the galaxy. It was like 5 minutes of total positive insanity. I don't remember anything comparable.

The second one is a song I had been waiting for, and finally... "time for another song from The Great Cold Distance - this one is... RUSTED!". Well, my reaction was fairly obvious. Like expected, it was completely incredible, since the calm guitar at the beginning, through the killer heavy part, to the ending. And third... it was the second and last encore. (It was also the worst thing happening to my throat in a few months. :P) "So, let's see if you recognize this song..." I needed one second. LEADERS! I was singing along louder than EVER, and I absolutely loved what they did to the after-chorus part - instead of the "DO YOU" screams, Jonas just did a sort of dramatic singing (the only good comparison I have is the ending of Riverside's "Parasomnia" - something like this) instead, and with the riffs it sounded amazing. It's one of these weird cases when an album opener is an excellent live closer, and seriously at one point I thought I lost my voice or something... :lol And that was the end. 1:40h passed like 30 minutes. I wondered if there's a chance to meet them afterwards, but it seemed there isn't...

One more thing - the audience was absolutely amazing, to the point Jonas said at one point that they're on tour for one month... but we're definitely the best, and repeated it later. I have no comparison obviously :lol, but they certainly had a point...

So, this was hands down one of the most amazing live shows I've even been to. I don't know what happened when those who claim they're a poor live band have seen them, but probably something weird. Amazing atmosphere, perfect performance, excellent contact with the audience, killer setlist. When they come to Poland - or anywhere close - again, I'm going even if it's 700 kilometres away, and nothing will stop me...

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:10 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it and I agree with you on most points.

Shame you didn't get to meet them afterwards but if you want to let any of them know how much you enjoyed the show you can actually email them (Jonas, Anders + Daniel) through the Katatonia website  ;)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2010, 05:23:13 AM »
I did e-mail Jonas. It's hands down one of the most incoherent things I've ever written :lol, but I think I managed to express what I wanted.

Offline faemir

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »
I really want to see them live now :(

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
Sounds awesome! :tup

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »
I've decided to check this band out... any suggestions where to start?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
I think there are two ways, depending on your preference:
- if something more varied overall, and not too depressive - go for the new album Night is The New Day. It's a great album overall, varies from really heavy songs (Forsaker) to really calm and subtle ones (Idle Blood, Departer), and the atmosphere is also rather diverse. Also, probably the best one vocal-wise this far, Jonas sounds like if he reinvented his vocal style on this album.
- if something darker and more depressive - Viva Emptiness. This albums combines amazing, dark atmosphere with incredible catchiness of the songs (good luck with listening to Ghost of The Sun or Criminals and not having the chorus stuck in your head for the next day), and it's really accessible overall, despite being really atmospheric.

After the two, try The Great Cold Distance, which is even darker than Viva Emptiness and not less catchy, but as I have found out, it needs more time to grow... But it's absolutely amazing.

That's what I can say, maybe there's something from the earlier albums I'm missing, but from what I've heard the last three are the most accessible.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
Thanks.  I actually decided to check these guys out by browsing last.fm and seeing that you were listening to them.  :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
What, you mean there's anything weird in them making it to #8 within two months? :P

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
They must be excellent then.
I AM A GUY

Offline genome

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

I thought it was for weeks until I checked the wiki. I love the album, such a great atmosphere.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
They must be excellent then.
For me, yes. But totally addictive without doubt.

I thought it was for weeks until I checked the wiki. I love the album, such a great atmosphere.
I still don't hear it at all. It doesn't sound like Jonas' singing on previous albums, but it doesn't sound like Mikael either except for one or two moments.

And it's probably my favourite song vocal-wise on the album together with New Night and Departer.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
You were right about "Criminals".  :metal :metal
I AM A GUY

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
Yeah, it's very good. But from straightforward songs, Ghost of The Sun defeats everything for me, and live it was in the top 5 of the most amazing moments of my life.

Overall, it's an album full of amazing songs. But then, so is Night is The New Day. And The Great Cold Distance even more. And...

Damn it.