Author Topic: Katatonia  (Read 82957 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katatonia
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
Their latest album is clearly the best :D

You guys know Akerfeldt growled on one of their old records, right?

So I've heard. Brave Murder Day?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
Yeah, it's a great album, but its drastically different from their newer stuff.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
I love me some Katatonia occasionally.
They can get a bit one-dimensional or 'samey' at times, but as long as I listen to them in right doses, they are really great.  :tup
Viva Emptiness or Night is the New Day would be my favorite, The Great Cold Distance is up there.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »
The Great Cold Distance is the best thing that they have ever done, in my opinion.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
The Great Cold Distance is the best thing that they have ever done, in my opinion.
I like you.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »
I've been listening to them like crazy lately because of the tour announcement. Is July a staple song in their live set? It's become my favorite.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
I've been listening to them like crazy lately because of the tour announcement. Is July a staple song in their live set? It's become my favorite.

Yeah July, My Twin, Leaders are the staple songs from that album. Awesome SET when I saw them live!

Day and Then the Shade
Liberation
My Twin
Onward Into Battle
Complicity
The Longest Year
Soil's Song
Omerta
Teargas
Saw You Drown
Idle Blood
Ghost of the Sun
Evidence
July
Criminals
Forsaker
Leaders

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
OMERTA :heart
I AM A GUY

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
Brave live!

Jonas' voice sounds a bit strained, but a good performance nevertheless.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY is still soooo good.

Can't wait to see them live again and this time with OPETH  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:26 AM »
Live Consternation was quite cheap in the local store so I bought it. No regrets about that purchase! :metal Wish it was longer, though. Fortunately the upcoming DVD with the 20th anniversary show in London will fill my needs!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »
finally got Viva Emptiness on vinyl — comes with a sweetass holographic stickerposter thing that is just nuts.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
I like you.

Why, thank you, sir   :)
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
Love this band. They kind of remind me of an "alternative rock"version of Opeth. Some of the elements are similar with sad guitar lines and vocal melodies but the songs are shorter and the atmosphere is great in the songs.

I saw them live last year around this time and will be seeing them with Opeth on Friday  :metal

Favorite album- Night is the New Day

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
The Great Cold Distance is the best them. :P
I AM A GUY

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
I can't pick one favorite album, but my top 4 is (in no particular order): Brave Murder Day, Discouraged Ones, The Great Cold Distance and Night is the New Day.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2011, 06:57:18 AM »
I'd probably say Viva Emptiness or Night is the new day.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »
For me The Great Cold Distance followed pretty closely by Tonight's Decision, which is a very underrated album.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
I keep listening to Viva Emptiness, but it hasn't really clicked. Some of the songs just seem odd, especially evidence and criminals. I'll keep listening. I do however LOVE Day and then the Shade and Forsaker! Fantastic Songs! I guess just nothing on Viva yet.
I am a Survivor, and this is my Destiny.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
Criminals is one I listen to a lot besides Soils Song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »
I keep listening to Viva Emptiness, but it hasn't really clicked. Some of the songs just seem odd, especially evidence and criminals. I'll keep listening. I do however LOVE Day and then the Shade and Forsaker! Fantastic Songs! I guess just nothing on Viva yet.

That's understandable.  It took a while for it to click with me.  When I first heard it, I hadn't listened to Katatonia before so his vocals seemed weird to me.  When it clicked, it clicked big time.  It's one of my favorite albums of all time now.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »

That's understandable.  It took a while for it to click with me.  When I first heard it, I hadn't listened to Katatonia before so his vocals seemed weird to me.  When it clicked, it clicked big time.  It's one of my favorite albums of all time now.

I'll certainly keep trying, also that is the earliest album of theirs that i own! maybe that has something to do with it, not understanding how their sound has changed. Burn the Rememberance I believe stood out to me as a great song!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
Viva Emptiness has Omerta though.  :heart

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
Viva Emptiness has Omerta though.  :heart

You seem to really like that song! I'll tell you what, when I'm done listening to KOYAANISQATSY I'll listen to omerta!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »
I think most people on this forum really likes it, I know I'm not alone at least. :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:30 AM »
VE is actually my 3rd least favorite Katatonia album; it's not bad but it pales in comprarison with masterpieces like BMD, DO, TGCD and NITND.

BTW, I find it funny how things have changed: 10 years ago Katatonia was supporting Opeth on their Blackwater Park tour and they were the softer band, as Opeth still had growls. Now they're on Heritage tour and Katatonia is notably heavier!

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
Forums have too many damn acronyms! if there were any albums PRE Viva that I should get (note i'm a fan of rusted, and most all of night is the new day) what would you recommend?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »
Forums have too many damn acronyms! if there were any albums PRE Viva that I should get (note i'm a fan of rusted, and most all of night is the new day) what would you recommend?
Haha! :lol I assumed most would understand those! Get Last Fair Deal Gone Down, many people call it one of their best albums and they're playing it in full on their 20th anniversary shows. However, it's quite different from the latest 3 albums; more like alternative rock, guitars are tuned less low and there isn't any double-bass drumming.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:20 AM »
Haha! :lol I assumed most would understand those! Get Last Fair Deal Gone Down, many people call it one of their best albums and they're playing it in full on their 20th anniversary shows. However, it's quite different from the latest 3 albums; more like alternative rock, guitars are tuned less low and there isn't any double-bass drumming.

will absolutely do. i thought their earlier stuff was more death/thrash metal similar to early anathema?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58:14 AM »
Not thrash, but death/doom, yes. However, their stuff was more melodic than Serenades-era Anathema. I'd recommend Brave Murder Day, it's death/doom with shoegaze influences and a great album. It also has Mikael Åkerfeldt doing the grunts! :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2011, 01:22:17 AM »
Took me all this time to come to this conclusion, but I think NITND > TGCD. But they are very close so it doesn't really matter. Can't wait for their new one whenever they decide to make one.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »
I've started listening to Katatonia in preparation for the Opeth show.  So far I've only listened to Viva Emptiness.  It's decent, although I'm not very excited about the tracks they're playing live.  I think I'll be a bigger fan of their earlier work; I'm going to try Dance of December Souls next.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
I really like Viva Emptiness but for me it's the darker songs that stand out - Ghost of The Sun and Wealth are both very heavy but with some really beautiful (and sad) parts, while A Premonition is just tearing apart with emotion.

And personally I find the popularity of the songs on VE to be very weird. Why is Criminals which is nothing special at all popular, while Will I Arrive which is far more powerful and with far more character is totally overlooked? I don't get it.

Took me all this time to come to this conclusion, but I think NITND > TGCD. But they are very close so it doesn't really matter. Can't wait for their new one whenever they decide to make one.
NITND is definitely a great album but it's not as consistent as TGCD for me. On the latter I still cannot even decide on my favourite song (it's a never-ending battle between Leaders, Soil's Song and Rusted), and basically the whole album is on an excellent level. NITND has amazing songs (Departer! Also, Forsaker and of course Liberation :biggrin:), but also some that are just "ok" for me (The Promise of Deceit).

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
saw this band open for Opeth the other night.

They were one of the worst opening bands I've ever seen. NOT for me.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.