Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 56142 times)

Orbert (+ 2 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1190 on: May 14, 2024, 04:54:42 PM »
Curious if anyone has done these, I got an email from AMC about attending a secret advanced screening a few weeks back and last night I decided to go. The email just mentions the date of screening, movie rating and length and nothing else. Mine was R rated and about 2 hrs long at 7 pm last night.

It was a comedy called Babes, more of an indie vibe and it's releasing in select theaters this weekend. There were quite a few people at the theater, I'd say at least 3/4 full. It was a fun time and the movie was hilarious. Main cast were unknown actors and cast (at least to me). There were some legit hilarious laugh out loud moments which had the whole theater cry-laughing. I first thought it was a rom-com but it wasn't, just a story of two women friends from NYC that go through pregnancies.
Had a great time. I'll definitely go to more of these if I get the chance. Not knowing what movie you're going to see in the theater is an experience in of itself.

I have a vague recollection of having gotten such an email (although it would have to have been from Regal since that's the only chain that has my info).  Back in the '90s, my wife and I got passes for a test screening of I Love Trouble (Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts).  Then back when my son was around 7-8, we got passes for a screening of Astro Boy (a cartoon based on something Japanese).  It was BAD.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: May 14, 2024, 08:47:19 PM »
Yep, plain as day. Early on he tells a story about seeing shark able to submerge with 2 barrels on him. When this one goes under the boat with 4 Hooper asks him if he's ever seen a shark do that before, and he just shakes his head. That was when he knew it was a lost cause decides to head back in (and burns the motor up trying).

Right. When he defers to Hooper, we know he's out of answers. And if Hooper is out of answers, then they're screwed. Thinking back, I never really got the scene with him overheating the engines. What was he trying to do there?

And +1 to dumb/ineffective LEOs ruining movies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1192 on: May 14, 2024, 11:19:54 PM »
Right. When he defers to Hooper, we know he's out of answers. And if Hooper is out of answers, then they're screwed. Thinking back, I never really got the scene with him overheating the engines. What was he trying to do there?
Run like hell. He was legitimately scared at that point. He'd done all he knew to do and all it did was piss the shark off somethin awful. When the shark took the initiative he just wanted to get out of the water. However, once again that's where arrogance got to him. When Hooper tells him he's going to blow the motor he steps on it even harder. It was his boat and he wanted to prove himself right (for once). It was after he blew the motor that he asked Hooper for suggestions.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1193 on: May 16, 2024, 05:07:35 PM »
Finished MI:6. They keep delivering. One to go.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1194 on: May 16, 2024, 09:36:25 PM »
Sisters. (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: May 16, 2024, 09:38:16 PM »
Run like hell. He was legitimately scared at that point. He'd done all he knew to do and all it did was piss the shark off somethin awful. When the shark took the initiative he just wanted to get out of the water. However, once again that's where arrogance got to him. When Hooper tells him he's going to blow the motor he steps on it even harder. It was his boat and he wanted to prove himself right (for once). It was after he blew the motor that he asked Hooper for suggestions.

He was always in control, even when he realized he might have outkicked his coverage. Except for this one scene. It just seemed out of character, that's all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1196 on: May 17, 2024, 08:00:10 AM »
Hamlet (1996)

I first saw this while in a Shakespearean Tragedies class in college, lo these many years ago.  I decided to watch it again.

This was Kenneth Branaugh at the height of his powers.  The film is stunning.  It is audacious in its scope, and simply incredible.  Noted for its length (a hair over 4 hours) as well as including in the cast some actors not normally known for performing Shakespeare (Jack Lemon, Billy Crystal, Charlton Heston, Robin Williams, among others) along with other giants of Shakespearean stage and screen (Derek Jacobi, Julie Christie, Michael Maloney, among others).

The entirety of Hamlet is rarely performed on stage, never mind on film.  Branaugh kept the glory of the original language while updating the setting to the 19th century.  It is also the last film that was filmed on 70mm until 2011.  It looks gorgeous.

The funny thing is that was limited release, and the running time further limited the amount of showings it could have, even in the few places it showed, for the relatively small audience it would have had in the first place.  Made for a budget (unthinkably small these days) of around $18 million, it only made around $5 million, making this without question the best flop of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1197 on: May 17, 2024, 08:47:47 AM »
Definitely my favourite version of Hamlet. I thought Brannagh did a fine job of blurring the lines between genius and insanity, and it's always a treat to see Jacobi. Too many just play Hamlet as a brooding prick. Brannagh's Hamlet was full of life. Of the oddball actors to appear, I liked Billy Crystal as the gravedigger.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1198 on: May 17, 2024, 09:36:55 AM »
Definitely my favourite version of Hamlet. I thought Brannagh did a fine job of blurring the lines between genius and insanity, and it's always a treat to see Jacobi. Too many just play Hamlet as a brooding prick. Brannagh's Hamlet was full of life. Of the oddball actors to appear, I liked Billy Crystal as the gravedigger.
Yes to all of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1199 on: May 17, 2024, 11:58:50 AM »
You, Me, and Him. (A British comedy featuring Lucy Punch)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1200 on: May 17, 2024, 12:14:36 PM »
I forgot about this...I watched Barbie a couple weeks ago.  Held my interest well enough, but it was pretty meh.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: May 17, 2024, 08:11:47 PM »
I forgot about this...I watched Barbie a couple weeks ago.  Held my interest well enough, but it was pretty meh.

Wish I could forget watching that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1202 on: May 18, 2024, 12:02:14 AM »
In the last week, I watched all three of the newest Planet of the Apes films in preparation for seeing the newest one tomorrow.

It’s been 7 years since the third film and 13 years since the first, so it was worth the refresher.  This an incredibly powerful trilogy. I would say that it even surpasses the original films in every way…and I don’t say that lightly.

I hope the new film lives up to the legacy.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1203 on: May 18, 2024, 04:50:02 PM »
Probably a lot of you guys have seen the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey but I just caught it last night. Not sure what the prevailing opinion is but I quite liked it. Old-fashioned style leaning on wonder, mystery, and hard science rather than over-the-top action.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1204 on: May 18, 2024, 07:13:21 PM »
just saw Challengers, good movie! I wanted more throuple and less jealous love triangle, though
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1205 on: May 18, 2024, 07:23:14 PM »
Watching Madame Web tonight.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1206 on: May 18, 2024, 07:24:11 PM »
Watching Madame Web tonight.

Watched this earlier today. Horrendous is the word that comes to mind.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1207 on: May 18, 2024, 07:25:49 PM »
Watched this earlier today. Horrendous is the word that comes to mind.

Really??? Damn... Now I'm stuck.   :facepalm:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1208 on: May 18, 2024, 07:30:45 PM »
Oooh yeah, it's bad. Best of luck.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1209 on: May 18, 2024, 09:17:27 PM »
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was a really great movie. One of the last action sequences had some unbelievable physics that took me out of the moment for a bit…but the rest of the story was so good that it was easily ignored. 

I was still glad that I did get caught up on the first trilogy, but after viewing the movie, I can absolutely say that knowledge of the first trilogy is not necessary to follow the new one. I won’t give away any plot point spoilers, but I will say that this takes place several generations later and attempts to start a whole new trilogy in that same universe that was begun in the first three films. But other than referencing the history, there’s absolutely no plot points from the first trilogy that are necessary to the new film.

8/10 though. A worthy entry into the franchise
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1210 on: May 18, 2024, 09:40:01 PM »
Watched 'Taxi Driver' last night for the first time in probably twenty years. Still a good one to watch.....and I still remain in the camp that Travis died in the shootout and everything after that was his dying mind playing things out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1211 on: May 18, 2024, 09:52:56 PM »
Probably a lot of you guys have seen the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey but I just caught it last night. Not sure what the prevailing opinion is but I quite liked it. Old-fashioned style leaning on wonder, mystery, and hard science rather than over-the-top action.

From what I can tell, I'm a bigger 2001 fan than most, and also a bigger 2010 fan than most.  What can I say?  I like good sci-fi.  I don't need space battles or aliens or any of that; just give me something to think about.  2010 was that rare thing: a sequel that wasn't really necessary, but was pretty good anyway.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1212 on: May 19, 2024, 12:49:17 AM »
Oooh yeah, it's bad. Best of luck.

My wife and I enjoyed it. It was cheesy but we like Dakota Johnson.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1213 on: May 19, 2024, 08:32:28 PM »
2 Hearts.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1214 on: May 20, 2024, 09:39:31 AM »
Yep.  Love 2010.

I would never claim that it's a better or more important piece of filmmaking than 2001, but it's definitely (for me) more entertaining, and if I could only pick one of the two to watch, it would be 2010 every time.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1215 on: May 20, 2024, 12:13:36 PM »
It's been so long since I saw 2010. I remember liking it too though. I also remember it somehow feeling more dated than the first one though. Like suddenly all the tech didn't feel futuristic, it just looked like the 80s.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1216 on: May 20, 2024, 02:47:36 PM »
Another thing I liked about it was it had realistic acting, not “I’m trying to win an Oscar here”. That style of acting always appeals to me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 07:58:57 AM by Dream Team »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1217 on: May 20, 2024, 04:18:07 PM »
I watched Unfrosted over the weekend.  It had literally every person ever involved in comedy acting but it was just...I don't even know.  A fake story about the development of Pop-Tarts?  With the big milk cartel and even JFK and Nikita Krushchev getting involved?  It really should have been much funnier than it was.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1218 on: May 21, 2024, 08:38:39 AM »
No Hard Feelings.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1219 on: May 21, 2024, 09:49:54 AM »
Your thoughts?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1220 on: May 21, 2024, 01:14:11 PM »
Your thoughts?

On No Hard Feelings? I've now watched it about 10 plus times. Hilarious and feel good!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1221 on: May 21, 2024, 01:16:55 PM »
Okay.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1222 on: May 21, 2024, 01:21:28 PM »
Okay.

If you haven't seen it give it a shot. Jennifer Lawrence is great in this. I'm curious what you think now.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1223 on: May 21, 2024, 01:43:12 PM »
I've heard it was actually pretty funny, and a good movie overall.  If it's available free somewhere, or on some streaming channel we already subscribe to, then I've got a chance.  My wife is the one who does the vast majority of TV watching, and she keeps track of what channels we have.  That's fine, because I honestly don't care to spend more than a few hours a day sitting and watching a screen, but it does mean that movie and TV watching has to be coordinated.  Every couple of weeks, when we're all caught up on TV shows, we'll indulge in a movie.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1224 on: May 21, 2024, 02:00:35 PM »
I've heard it was actually pretty funny, and a good movie overall.  If it's available free somewhere, or on some streaming channel we already subscribe to, then I've got a chance.  My wife is the one who does the vast majority of TV watching, and she keeps track of what channels we have.  That's fine, because I honestly don't care to spend more than a few hours a day sitting and watching a screen, but it does mean that movie and TV watching has to be coordinated.  Every couple of weeks, when we're all caught up on TV shows, we'll indulge in a movie.

Its free on Netflix and Prime