Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 55943 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #840 on: December 06, 2023, 01:50:49 PM »
For a long time, I thought it was a Tim Burton film (as in he's the Director) but I did learn relatively recently that he's not.  So I double-checked IMDb before posting, and he is listed as first of the three Writers.  So I'll still give him the credit for how weird the story is.

I just learned that recently too.  Like two posts ago.  :)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #841 on: December 06, 2023, 02:25:16 PM »
ranking Lanthimos films i've now seen

The Killing of a Sacred Deer
The Favourite
Dogtooth
Alps
The Lobster

very very excited for Poor Things!! :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #842 on: December 06, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »

The Favourite
Dogtooth
Alps
The Lobster

Still need to see Killing of a Sacred Deer, and I haven't heard of Alps but the rest are great.

And I loved The Lobster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #843 on: December 06, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »

The Favourite
Dogtooth
Alps
The Lobster

Still need to see Killing of a Sacred Deer, and I haven't heard of Alps but the rest are great.

And I loved The Lobster.

Alps is insanely unsettling. The premise is there is a group of actors making money by performing as recently deceased people. An example being parents of a daughter who died in a car accident, one of the actors kind of is paid to be a stand-in. the idea is to help with grief but it being a Lanthimos movie it obviously goes in a very sardonic direction

EDIT: i also enjoyed The Lobster, i think the others were all just a bit better, haha. He's definitely a director worth paying attention to!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #844 on: December 08, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #845 on: December 08, 2023, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #846 on: December 09, 2023, 07:09:06 AM »
I watched Leave the World Behind last night. Yet another movie about the end of the world and the collapse of civilization. Well directed and acted, and there’s a couple really cool scenes, but overall it seemed kinda half baked and didn’t end up saying anything new or interesting.

If anyone here ever watched Mr. Robot, it’s directed by the creator (Sam Esmail) and apparently takes place in that universe. Don’t expect “Mr. Robot The Movie” though. There’s just a couple little nods and nuggets here and there.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #847 on: December 09, 2023, 08:11:48 AM »
I'm really looking forward to watching it. It's based on a book I think or short story and all the comments prior to the movie release I saw were people really confused why it was being adapted as a movie as it's a pointless little story.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #848 on: December 09, 2023, 08:41:37 AM »
Godzilla minus one. I really enjoyed it! In these type of films usually the monster/disaster/spectacle is the most interesting element, but here I was really rooting for the characters. This definitely makes the film stand out. Godzilla itself was also done really well, threatening and some solid effects. Not everything makes sense in the plot, but the film has heart and is just directed really well with good pacing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #849 on: December 10, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »
Godzilla minus one. I really enjoyed it! In these type of films usually the monster/disaster/spectacle is the most interesting element, but here I was really rooting for the characters. This definitely makes the film stand out. Godzilla itself was also done really well, threatening and some solid effects. Not everything makes sense in the plot, but the film has heart and is just directed really well with good pacing.

This is a spot on review. I just saw it today. I loved that Godzilla was just a villian in this movie.

Got home and saw The Watchmen.  It's been awhile. Such a great movie. What a comeback for Jackie Earle Haley.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #850 on: December 10, 2023, 03:56:34 PM »
Definitely interested in seeing that Thriller doc.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #851 on: December 10, 2023, 08:29:41 PM »
Been a busy couple weeks getting value for my unlimited pass this month before heading home for the holidays

Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes- This was certainly a movie. Mostly competently made, albeit a bit bloated. Also felt like a weird character arc for the protagonist, given that he becomes the big bad of the main trilogy

Thanksgiving- An efficient and at times brutal little slasher. Eli Roth isn't always to my taste, but I enjoyed this one.

Napoleon- This felt both too long and too short at the same time. It felt like every major event/story point got a quick, surface-level treatment before they were jumping ahead a couple of years to something else. Joaquin Phoenix was good, even in the more absurd moments (i.e. me audibly laughing at his shouted "boats" line).

Godzilla Minus One- I'm not familiar with practically any of the Godzilla movies but this was excellent. Koichi was both well-written and well-acted, the ending might've felt hamfisted if not for the journey he went on over the course of the movie. The effects were solid, and Godzilla's appearances were sparse enough to feel special. Anecdotally, it's unusual for there to be more than 10-12 other people at most in most of the screenings at the theater I go to, but there were a solid 30-40 people at my Saturday afternoon Godzilla showing and people were laughing at certain lines and/or facial expressions, cheering for the parachute, and clapping when the credits started rolling. So glad I saw this on the big screen.

Silent Night- This was interesting, it might have succeeded more as an experiment/challenge than as a movie. Joel Kinnaman is shot in the throat in the opening scene of the movie and as such there's not one spoken line of dialogue. There's the occasional noise or single word from a character onscreen, a little bit of AM or police radio chatter, and a couple of brief text message exchanges shown, but that's it. It helps that it's a very straightforward revenge story that you've seen seen done in plenty of other action movies before, but the cast and crew also do a decent job of conveying things without words. Plus, it's John Woo, so you know the action's not going to suck.
Photobucket sucks.

« Reply #852 on: December 11, 2023, 10:13:08 AM »
saw Eileen yesterday, super unnerving movie with a great Anne Hathaway performance
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #853 on: December 11, 2023, 12:17:28 PM »
The Breach. Alex Lifeson played a small part in it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #854 on: December 11, 2023, 05:20:45 PM »
saw Eileen yesterday, super unnerving movie with a great Anne Hathaway performance

Come on!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #855 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:44 PM »

Come on!

:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #856 on: December 11, 2023, 09:58:46 PM »
Leave The World Behind on Netflix. Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot) movie. Dude definitely does not like the American society. Pretty poignant movie and very scary on how ‘realistic’ it is as far as being able to happen….it being the collapse of society in a matter of days.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: December 12, 2023, 06:07:27 AM »
Silent Night- This was interesting, it might have succeeded more as an experiment/challenge than as a movie. Joel Kinnaman is shot in the throat in the opening scene of the movie and as such there's not one spoken line of dialogue. There's the occasional noise or single word from a character onscreen, a little bit of AM or police radio chatter, and a couple of brief text message exchanges shown, but that's it. It helps that it's a very straightforward revenge story that you've seen seen done in plenty of other action movies before, but the cast and crew also do a decent job of conveying things without words. Plus, it's John Woo, so you know the action's not going to suck.

We saw this ourselves this weekend. It's a way more interesting movie than it should be. The plot is razor thin and the protagonist's path to realization of the plot has been done so many times that it's an action movie cliché ... yet, the execution was intriguing. The lack of dialog adds complexity to every element. I liked the spin on the "training montage" and his failures. I liked that, once the violence got going in earnest, his difficulty in coping with the reality of his vengeance fantasy. This felt more real than in previous movies of this type. I liked his portrayal of guilt when a beat cop gets caught in the crossfire of events he manipulates. I like that his preparations didn't make him invincible. He reaches his goal, not as a superhero exacting punishment, but as a shell empty of all but revenge. Like a revenant. I've always liked the way Woo frames his shots, and of course, the action is brutal and elegant at the same time.

Like axeman says, whatever the movie's success ends up being, it will because of the premise and/or Joel Kinnaman's ability to act within its constraints.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

« Reply #858 on: December 14, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »
saw the boy and the heron. incredibly film
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #859 on: December 16, 2023, 05:19:13 PM »
Candy Cane Lane. Eddie Murphy is the GOAT.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: December 18, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »
Godzilla Minus One.

Un-fucking-believably good.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed an EST movie, but this was off the charts good - relative to any other modern-day Godzilla flick.  10/10 would watch again.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

« Reply #861 on: December 19, 2023, 07:39:48 PM »
Godzilla -1 was really fucking incredible, i agree

recent films for me since my last post have been:

Poor Things - 3.5/5
Monster - 4/5

Poor Things is one i was really looking forward to a lot but i think it actually sits at the bottom of my Lanthimos rankings. it was a good film but his other ones hit me harder

Monster was incredible. i was drawn to it for the score (written by Ryuichi Sakamoto and he died 2 months after finishing it - the film is dedicated to him) but the plot and the way they revealed things via perspective shifts was very cool
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #862 on: December 19, 2023, 08:49:42 PM »
Barbie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: December 20, 2023, 10:05:24 PM »
Extraction 2.

First movie was fun and entertaining….nice action. This one was a poor man’s John Wick with extremely over the top action and scenarios. It was action packed and lots of blow em ups and shoot outs but the choreography was clunky and the plot line was razor thin and boring.

Movie clearly set up a third installment of they so choose to do so.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #864 on: December 21, 2023, 03:21:51 PM »
Gave another spin to Violent night, with David Harbor.

It's like if Die Hard and Home Alone had a baby, and the skyscraper was a rich family's mansion, and Bruce Willis was the real Santa. One of those stupid, fun movies that end up being more clever than many serious ones.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #865 on: December 22, 2023, 11:20:04 AM »
Rebel Moon.  As derivative as the reviews have said and ever action scene is shown in slow motion.  It not awful but it's pretty bad unfortunately, but I'll probably still watch part 2..

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: December 22, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
Rebel Moon.  As derivative as the reviews have said and ever action scene is shown in slow motion.  It not awful but it's pretty bad unfortunately, but I'll probably still watch part 2..

I’ll still watch it eventually but was scared that this would fall flat and miss the mark.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #867 on: December 22, 2023, 11:26:46 AM »

I’ll still watch it eventually but was scared that this would fall flat and miss the mark.

It's pretty much what you'd expect from Snyder does Star Wars.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #868 on: December 22, 2023, 05:35:42 PM »
Just finished The Creator, outstanding film.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #869 on: December 23, 2023, 03:59:41 AM »
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and A Christmas Story.  Tis the Season.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #870 on: December 23, 2023, 04:06:41 AM »
Undecided between Klaus and Arthur Christmas, I went for the latter.

I'll save Klaus for Boxing Day I guess, tonight I'm gonna take a ride on the Polar Express and for Xmas Eve my usual video / ritual requires A Nightmare Before Christmas and then a custom made Trans-Siberian Orchestra compilation  :yarr
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #871 on: December 23, 2023, 07:27:41 AM »
We did Christmas Story and Muppet Christmas Carol last night. Just adore the latter, Michael Caine is the best Scrooge.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: December 24, 2023, 05:33:14 AM »
Just finished The Creator, outstanding film.

jingle.son and I saw this in theaters back in October.  Good flick, but the Avatar-love and parallels were painfully obvious.

Elf is on tap tonight - that's our family tradition.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #873 on: December 24, 2023, 07:09:27 PM »
The latest Indiana Jones flick. I know we’re “supposed” to hate all remakes, reboots, sequels, etc, but it really wasn’t bad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: December 25, 2023, 05:53:20 AM »
Wonka

Quite the zany, charming, and catchy flick. Lots of great songs, and fun dance numbers. Several belly laughs too. I quite enjoyed it, and feel that it truly captured the joyful magic feeling you got when reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens