Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 55982 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #770 on: November 12, 2023, 02:04:05 AM »
Being John Malkovich was a trip.  Yeah, very weird.  My favorite part was when Malkovich went into his own head, and everyone and everything was Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich.  Didn't make a damned bit of sense, but it was fun.

It was especially funny because, if you follow the plot, you can't help but ask yourself "ok, since the portal goes to his head, how will the paradox of him entering himself will work?", and the answer was brilliant  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #771 on: November 19, 2023, 06:08:40 AM »
Last two seen:

AMERICAN HUSTLE - Christian Bale doing once again his physical transformation into a character, this time a con artist in the '70s. somehow helping the FBI to catch mobsters. Not perfect and the final "hustle" was a bit underwhelming but all in all a fun movie. I hope Amy Adams' costumes won an Oscar.

THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER - Remember how Dracula came to England on a boat where he killed all the ones on board? a chapter from the novel becomes a movie. I liked a lot the atmosphere, the plot wasn't as tight as it could have been but it was a nice experience anyway. I mean, you already know the story going in - it's just fun to see it play out.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #772 on: November 19, 2023, 06:15:44 AM »
Watched Uncut Gems last night

The moral of this movie: Basketball kills

Offline Glasser

« Reply #773 on: November 19, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »
Starting to watch The Deuce with James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal again, excellent show!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #774 on: November 19, 2023, 12:43:24 PM »
watched The Straight Story (again) last night. Perfect movie. 5/5. We love David Lynch

going to see Porco Rosso in a theater tonight in anticipation of the boy and the heron
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #775 on: November 19, 2023, 12:45:21 PM »
Starting to watch The Deuce with James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal again, excellent show!

I LOVED that show. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #776 on: November 19, 2023, 12:53:43 PM »
Last night, I watched F/X (1986), starring Bryan Brown and Brian Denehy.

For those unfamiliar with the film: "The film follows a special effects expert who is hired by the U.S. Department of Justice to stage the murder of a mobster about to enter the Witness Protection Program, but complications arise when he is targeted for murder himself; meanwhile, an NYPD detective becomes suspicious of the circumstances of the case."

I haven't seen this movie since shortly after release (so, a long long time).  I won't go so far as to say it was really good, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I've always liked Bryan Brown, and Denehy is pretty much gold in everything.  It also features Jerry Orbach in a seemingly rare villainous role.  Good stuff.

I saw this in the movies when it came out. Don't remember a thing about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #777 on: November 19, 2023, 01:13:19 PM »

For those unfamiliar with the film: "The film follows a special effects expert who is hired by the U.S. Department of Justice to stage the murder of a mobster about to enter the Witness Protection Program, but complications arise when he is targeted for murder himself; meanwhile, an NYPD detective becomes suspicious of the circumstances of the case."

I haven't seen this movie since shortly after release (so, a long long time).  I won't go so far as to say it was really good, but I definitely enjoyed it.  I've always liked Bryan Brown, and Denehy is pretty much gold in everything.  It also features Jerry Orbach in a seemingly rare villainous role.  Good stuff.

I mean, it was fun to watch, but I'm not sure how memorable it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #778 on: November 19, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »

The plot sounds cool. Holy shit, that was a long time ago. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #779 on: November 19, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »

The plot sounds cool. Holy shit, that was a long time ago. :lol
Yep.  We're old, pal.   :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #780 on: November 19, 2023, 02:55:11 PM »
Unhinged. With Russell Crowe. Road rage is dangerous, you may get the wrong person on the wrong day.

« Reply #781 on: November 20, 2023, 07:47:35 AM »
saw Porco Rosso last night. i hadn't seen it before and i kinda loved it
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #782 on: November 20, 2023, 09:18:50 AM »
I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife last night for the first time.

I had mixed emotions about it.  Definitely a worthier and less shitty sequel to the original than Ghostbusters II, but I felt it had way too many callbacks to the original.  The 3 living original Ghostbusters showing up at the end was a big deus ex machina, as well.  However, the bits featuring the ghost of Igon were all very touching.  So, for me, a mixed bag.  Glad I saw it, but doubtful that I watch it again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #783 on: November 20, 2023, 09:54:57 AM »
Saw Blackberry on Saturday; and Old Dads last night.  The former was pretty good.  The latter wasn't as funny as I was expecting, and the over-wokeness about it was grinding my gears.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #784 on: November 20, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »
Saw Bullet Train. Absolutely histerical, over the top, crazy and intentionally wacky action movie about various criminals aboard a titular bullet train en route to Kyoto.

I loved it. Heck, probably it actually made me realize that I love comedy action movies. You see, while I love a good action movie as any, it's not that I actively seek them out, let's also keep in mind that in the age of CGI everyone is trying to outdo everyone else so the fight scenes becomes absurdly unrealistic, a show-off contest, and I kinda zone out. Some thriller / action movies, or superheroes movies, may feel pretentious. But if a movie starts off the bat by saying "yeah, this is gonna be absolutely bonkers and we won't even try to hide it", I can enjoy all the over the top stuff.

Also, I daresay that beneath all the stupid stuff, there's a tight plot. I can hardly find a plot hole in this movie, all the little details come together. There are stupid movies, and there are clever stupid movies, this is definitively one of them, absolutely advised if these kinds of movies are your thing. Also, the cast is a who's who, so many known actors.

« Reply #785 on: November 21, 2023, 07:18:26 AM »
saw My Neighbor Totoro last night. i hadn't seen it before and it was so so so so good <3
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #786 on: November 21, 2023, 07:29:08 AM »
Saw Bullet Train. Absolutely histerical, over the top, crazy and intentionally wacky action movie about various criminals aboard a titular bullet train en route to Kyoto.

I loved it. Heck, probably it actually made me realize that I love comedy action movies. You see, while I love a good action movie as any, it's not that I actively seek them out, let's also keep in mind that in the age of CGI everyone is trying to outdo everyone else so the fight scenes becomes absurdly unrealistic, a show-off contest, and I kinda zone out. Some thriller / action movies, or superheroes movies, may feel pretentious. But if a movie starts off the bat by saying "yeah, this is gonna be absolutely bonkers and we won't even try to hide it", I can enjoy all the over the top stuff.

Also, I daresay that beneath all the stupid stuff, there's a tight plot. I can hardly find a plot hole in this movie, all the little details come together. There are stupid movies, and there are clever stupid movies, this is definitively one of them, absolutely advised if these kinds of movies are your thing. Also, the cast is a who's who, so many known actors.
I thought that movie was a lot of fun.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #787 on: November 21, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Ghosted - Chris Evans, Ana de Armas

Extremely cliched action/spy flick, you've seen this movie a dozen times.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #788 on: November 24, 2023, 04:19:39 PM »
Everything Everywhere All At Once.

The hell was that  :lol anyway, I enjoyed it!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #789 on: November 24, 2023, 04:54:48 PM »

Seriously. That movie demands multiple watches.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #790 on: November 24, 2023, 09:27:50 PM »
EEAAO rules

saw Napoleon yesterday, it was a fun ride! movie felt a little confused as to what it was trying to be/do but it's hard to hate much on Ridley Scott and Phoenix
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #791 on: November 24, 2023, 11:27:16 PM »
Cleaning Lady. . What the fuck!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #792 on: November 26, 2023, 11:42:35 AM »

Seriously. That movie demands multiple watches.
Just watched this last night.

I saw it when it came out in theaters and loved it. Decided to watch it again yesterday and damn such a good movie.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: November 26, 2023, 03:13:18 PM »
There is so much to take in it demands multiple watches. Same with Memento. Such a great movie. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #794 on: November 27, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »
The Big Caper (1957)

A fun little noir film about a team of criminals involved in a long con.  Twists and turns, and betrayals.  Not the best film, but lots of un.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: November 27, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »
Oh yeah, also rewatched Running Scared (1986)

Very fun, underrated cop/buddy film starring Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines.  I always liked this one, and hadn't seen it in a while.  I saw that it's available for free on Pluto, so cued it up and watched it.  If you like Billy Crystal and haven't seen this, I definitely suggest it.  I don't remember him as a cop or firing a handgun in any other film.  While not really a comedy IMO, there are definitely plenty of laughs to be had.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #796 on: November 27, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »
Running Scared is a riot!  Probably my favorite Billy Crystal role, and since I haven't seen Gregory Hines in a lot of things, my favorite Hines role for sure.  Pretty sure it was my intro to Jimmy Smits as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: November 27, 2023, 03:58:06 PM »
Running Scared is a riot!  Probably my favorite Billy Crystal role, and since I haven't seen Gregory Hines in a lot of things, my favorite Hines role for sure.  Pretty sure it was my intro to Jimmy Smits as well.

Hines is great in History of the World, Part 1.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #798 on: November 27, 2023, 04:04:28 PM »
Ah, I forgot about that one.  I'm sure you didn't, since it's good to be the king.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »
Once in a while, I have clarity.

« Reply #800 on: November 27, 2023, 05:09:44 PM »
saw Priscilla last night, decent movie, definitely better than the BL Elvis from last year.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #801 on: November 28, 2023, 07:36:32 AM »
saw Priscilla last night, decent movie, definitely better than the BL Elvis from last year.

Who played Priscilla and who played Elvis?  (I know I can look it up, but I'm also interested in your thoughts on how they did). 

« Reply #802 on: November 28, 2023, 11:11:53 AM »

Who played Priscilla and who played Elvis?  (I know I can look it up, but I'm also interested in your thoughts on how they did). 

It was Cailee Spaeny as Priscilla and Jacob Elordi as Elvis. I didn't think their chemistry was incredible but I also think some of that was the attempt to emphasize some of the differences between them. For starters, their age. He was 10 years older (she was 14 when they met) so until she graduated HS and married him he had a much more kinda weirdly parental kind of approach to her. That gradually shifts to him taking over as a more authoritative husband figure and then eventually apathetic/not caring what she did. I would say Spaeny did better but that was also because the movie is significantly more focused on her character.

Honestly I LOVE Elvis but the only reason I saw this movie was because I have tremendous respect for Sofia Coppola (i would say Lost In Translation is one of the best films ever). That being said it didn't quite live up to my expectations for her, though I did enjoy it.

Ultimately I wouldn't recommend it to someone paying today's prices of $15+ for a movie ticket. I am a member at my local non-profit theater so I get $5 tickets and it was worth that, but not a full price thing in a corpo Regal/AMC IMO
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #803 on: November 29, 2023, 07:22:45 AM »
So, back when I was a teenager I didn't have a TV in my own room and I was not so eager to take command of the one we had, and so one thing led to another, windows of opportunities closed, other movies came out and then, somehow, inexplicably, I managed to, uhm.... ehm.... never see the Terminator movies whops I said it!!!

I've FINALLY put remedy to that glaring omission, and watched the two "original" movies, Terminator and also Judgement Day. Brilliant movies that absolutely stood the test of time (I can forgive them the weird stop-motion movements of the robot at the climax of the first movie).

Also, in my partial defense, the movies were so famous that I knew anyway some plot points, scenes or memes, so it felt in a sense like I "knew" already the movies.

Anyway, as I said - true classics and landmarks of a genre, these movies absolutely deserve the status they have. Now I guess I should quit while I'm ahead and ignore the latter sequels, right? or they have some redeeming qualities?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 07:46:06 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #804 on: November 29, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »
All the sequels are pretty terrible in one way or another, but somewhat enjoyable anyway (imo).  I don't think I'd ever go back and purposefully watch any of the sequels, but they were ok.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion