Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 55984 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2023, 07:25:01 PM »
I saw the new Mission Impossible movie. It opened early here. Loved it and Hayley Atwell is amazing, stunning. If you are a fan of the series then this movie is a must see.

Hayley Atwell is in it??? I’m in!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #526 on: July 08, 2023, 08:23:02 PM »
I saw the new Mission Impossible movie. It opened early here. Loved it and Hayley Atwell is amazing, stunning. If you are a fan of the series then this movie is a must see.

Got my ticket for Tuesday at the Dolby show. Can't friggin wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #527 on: July 08, 2023, 10:21:35 PM »

Hayley Atwell is in it??? I’m in!!!

She is the star (after Tom of course)! If you love her (as I do) you will love her in this. Also, biggest screen possible is recommended.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #528 on: July 09, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »

On my to-do list for next weekend.  I don't know anything about Hayley Atwell, except that she was the hot woman in the one Captain America movie I saw, so that'll be nice.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #529 on: July 10, 2023, 05:06:21 AM »
Dedicating my last days of Disney+ (today should be the actual last day) to catch up with some movies I've never seen, and it was the turn of The Beach.

I really watched it "just because" - I mean, it was famous, DiCaprio is consistently good, plus I always had a soft spot for Virginie Ledoyen so I figured why not.... was pleasantly surprised! great movie, I didn't really know anything about the plot and in my mind I always imagined that DiCaprio would get the girl once the other guy would die in a tragic event, but I was wrong. It was nice not knowing what to expect, great experience all around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #530 on: July 12, 2023, 12:05:35 PM »
I caught The Bridge on the River Kwai a week or so ago.  First time since I was a wee lad.  It was one of my Dad's favorite films.

It was just fantastic.  They don't really make 'em like they used to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #531 on: July 12, 2023, 01:10:56 PM »
I caught The Bridge on the River Kwai a week or so ago.  First time since I was a wee lad.  It was one of my Dad's favorite films.

It was just fantastic.  They don't really make 'em like they used to.
Alec Guinness's spiritual victory over Colonel Saito's soul was nothing short of devastating. And he kept laying it on after he'd won. "I think we'd save time if your men could bring us some food while we're working this out, don't you, colonel?" You could see the exact moment Saito's soul was crushed. Of course in the end it was the battle with Saito that concerned him, rather than the war. Add to that, Jack Hawkins insinuating that the Navy knew that Shears had been impersonating an officer and decided the best way to handle it was to just make him an officer and send him on a suicide mission to avoid embarrassment was fantastic. "As long as I'm hooked I might as well volunteer." That's the spirit, old boy!

Great movie, indeed. I think Lawrence might have been the better film overall, but I enjoy Kwai a lot more. Somehow I never got around to watching Zhivago. It's on the list, but David Lean movies take a considerable amount of attention to appreciate, and I haven't had that much to spare lately.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: July 12, 2023, 06:39:50 PM »
Big fan of River Kwai here. Don't have much to say but it blew my socks off the first time I watched it as a kid, knowing nothing about it but a young Obi Wan being in it. Watched it years later, enjoyed it even more as I began to appreciate film differently. Lawrence may be "better" but like El Barto, I enjoy Kwai more.

When I saw Zhivago, I was disinterested and lost. I don't know if I was disinterested because I was lost, or lost because I was disinterested.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #533 on: July 13, 2023, 06:28:50 AM »
Hmm.   Love to hear more from you guys; it's been a while, but Dr. Zhivago was a game changing experience for me.  The cinematography was amazing, and Julie Christie is a treasure.  One of only a handful (I can think of only two others) where I'd say the movie was better than the book. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #534 on: July 13, 2023, 08:22:41 AM »
Watched Beau is Afraid last night. Weird as shit, but I loved it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: July 16, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
Hmm.   Love to hear more from you guys; it's been a while, but Dr. Zhivago was a game changing experience for me.  The cinematography was amazing, and Julie Christie is a treasure.  One of only a handful (I can think of only two others) where I'd say the movie was better than the book. 

I cannot remember much from my viewing experience. I was much younger, but had already seen and loved Kwai and Lawrence, so could appreciate something more complex and cinematic than Airplane! This one just didn't resonate at all. Maybe not having any understanding or appreciation of the historical context played a part.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2023, 11:11:16 AM »
A Man Called Otto

Really good, but damn I wish I would have known more about the story before watching it.  As someone who lost a parent 17 months ago, this film was a rough watch at times.  I would not recommend it to any of my fellow forumers who have recently lost a parent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: July 16, 2023, 12:18:40 PM »
A Man Called Otto

Really good, but damn I wish I would have known more about the story before watching it.  As someone who lost a parent 17 months ago, this film was a rough watch at times.  I would not recommend it to any of my fellow forumers who have recently lost a parent.
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #538 on: July 16, 2023, 01:57:45 PM »
Watched Beau is Afraid last night. Weird as shit, but I loved it.

Brilliant movie!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #540 on: July 17, 2023, 10:55:50 AM »
That movie is nuts!  I enjoyed it for the most part.  Some of it gets a little too weird for even me, but conceptually it was really cool.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #541 on: July 17, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »
That movie is nuts!  I enjoyed it for the most part.  Some of it gets a little too weird for even me, but conceptually it was really cool.

:lol Well... It's Terry Gilliam's  ;)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #542 on: July 17, 2023, 11:36:39 AM »
Yep.  That guy's insane, in the best way.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #543 on: July 18, 2023, 02:19:19 AM »
One of only a handful (I can think of only two others) where I'd say the movie was better than the book.

I can think of a few but I'm goin for Jaws and Shawshank?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: July 18, 2023, 02:52:18 PM »
One of only a handful (I can think of only two others) where I'd say the movie was better than the book.

Nah, for me, it's The Godfather and The Hunt For Red October.  I get that people love 'shank - and it's great - but I prefer all the King books to their corresponding movies.   Jaws... I read it so long ago, and I'm not the biggest Richard Dreyfuss fan, but then again, "Hooper drives the boat, chief!" so maybe that should be on the list.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:58:49 AM by Stadler »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #545 on: July 18, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
Saw the new Mission Impossible on July 12. I thought it was fantastic.

At home, the Mrs. and I checked out that documentary on WHAM! that is out now. TBH, I went into it rolling my eyes, but found it really well done. Highly recommended.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #546 on: July 19, 2023, 07:48:37 AM »
Watched 'The Color of Money' last night for the first time in probably a decade. Really enjoyed it (again)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: July 20, 2023, 10:50:49 PM »

Nah, for me, it's The Godfather and The Hunt For Red October.  I get that people love 'shank - and it's great - but I prefer all the King books to their corresponding movies.   Jaws... I read it so long ago, and I'm not the biggest Richard Dreyfuss fan, but then again, "Hooper drives the boat, chief!" so maybe that should be on the list.

Shawshank is a different beast because it is a novella, and Darabont brilliantly took those bones and fleshed out a masterpiece.

For me, it's Jaws and The Godfather. Incidentally, I did a 30 day stint in the county lockup in my 20s, and read both books inside, so that experience may have had an impact on my experience with those novels.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #548 on: July 23, 2023, 10:51:50 PM »
Went to the cinema today with some friends, watched Oppenheimer then Barbie. The former was good, a bit too long, I feel the last hour of it could have been a bit shorter and less redundant, but the ending was great. The latter was fucking great, lots of fun and very real criticisms of society. I did not expect it to go into the direction it went, and it was so worth it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #549 on: July 23, 2023, 11:58:20 PM »
The wife and I watched Les Miserables tonight. Just a brilliant, amazing film. Many tears were shed. Anne Hathaway killed it. I absolutely bawl my eyes out at her I Dreamed a Dream segment.

I saw the film before I saw the play and I have to say that moving IDAD from her losing her job (in the play) to just after she’s turned her first trick and hit rock bottom (in the film) was an absolute stroke of genius. I can’t believe it wasn’t done that way in the original adaptation.

And “Can You Here the People Sing” is the most “metal” thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life.  :metal
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 07:06:39 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #550 on: July 24, 2023, 05:52:04 AM »
A Man Called Otto

It was a tear-jerker for sure, but I’m it's a non-recommendation.  Tom Hanks delivers (as usual) a great performance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #551 on: July 24, 2023, 05:56:13 AM »
Watched 'The Color of Money' last night for the first time in probably a decade. Really enjoyed it (again)

Amazing cinematography by Scorsese, love that movie. Newman finally gets his Oscar!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: July 24, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »
Went to the cinema today with some friends, watched Oppenheimer then Barbie. The former was good, a bit too long, I feel the last hour of it could have been a bit shorter and less redundant, but the ending was great. The latter was fucking great, lots of fun and very real criticisms of society. I did not expect it to go into the direction it went, and it was so worth it.

You did the "Barbenheimer"? 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #553 on: July 24, 2023, 07:20:21 AM »

In his case the Oppenharbie.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #554 on: July 24, 2023, 08:29:08 AM »
I watched Shanghai Noon over the weekend, well, most of it. I fell asleep with about 10 minutes left, so I don't know how it ends yet.   

I don't know why, but that's one of those movies that I've kind of purposefully avoided throughout the years. I'm not sure why. I love Owen Wilson, and I have no problems with Jackie Chan, though his movies aren't usually in my Genre.   

I found the movie pretty hilarious and I was laughing right up until I nodded off.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: July 24, 2023, 09:19:07 AM »

In his case the Oppenharbie.

HAHAHA.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #556 on: July 24, 2023, 06:07:28 PM »
Definitely, and it was quite worth it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: July 27, 2023, 10:19:01 AM »
So my new GF asked me if I wanted to go and watch Barbie the other day and of course I said yes while screaming internally no. However i'm so into her that I just want to do whatever with her so it wasn't hard to say yes. Altough standing in line with her along with a couple of likeminded BFs and some parents and an ocean of little girls in pink felt a bit strange. Also walking past posters for Oppenheimer and Indy was a bit annoying I gotta say.
The movie turned out to be quite funny afterall so it's all good.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #558 on: July 27, 2023, 11:16:59 AM »
Dude, at the very worst, you could have feasted your eyes on Margot Robbier for two hours.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #559 on: July 28, 2023, 11:44:24 PM »
Just got back from the Barbie movie...holy shit was that hilarious...definitely had a solid point to it as well, with many, many barbs (pun intended). The sets were pretty fucking amazing as well, as was the main actors. Overall definitely worth seeing for sure, only complaint for me was the plot was really kinetic in a hot mess kind of way for me but it worked for the general vibe of the movie.

Seriously though, I haven't laughed that hard in a theater in a while.