Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 51202 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2023, 09:51:32 AM »
Just for shits and giggles, I watched the Brady Bunch Movie last night.  I saw it when it came out, but I didn't remember anything about it other than the bit about Jan hearing voices.  It was an absolute riot.  A parody done really well.

Brady Bunch Movie is amazing. The sequel was trying too hard to capture that magic and missed the mark for me but the original is fantastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2023, 12:34:41 PM »
Just for shits and giggles, I watched the Brady Bunch Movie last night.  I saw it when it came out, but I didn't remember anything about it other than the bit about Jan hearing voices.  It was an absolute riot.  A parody done really well.

That movie is absolutely hilarious. I love it. A Very Brady Sequel isn't a bad follow up either, IMO.

I was going to watch that next, but it wasn't free on any of the services we have.  :)

In retrospect, one thing I found interesting/funny is that Marcia was played by Christine Taylor (who has been Mrs. Ben Stiller since 2000).  The movie came out in 1995 (Taylor was 24), and only a couple years later, she played a character on Friends named Bonnie, who was a hyper-sexual diversion for Ross on his path to reconciliation with Rachel.  She could not have been more different from Marcia Brady.  The cameos from the TV show's cast were also cool.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:41:35 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »
Wait... what is The Brady Bunch movie?  I grew up watching the original series and thought the movie was some kind of lame reboot movie or something.  Since the cast was all different, I didn't bother.  It's actually a parody?  A parody of the original series?

Online faizoff

« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2023, 01:52:43 PM »

It's been a while since I saw it and remember having a great time watching it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2023, 01:58:50 PM »
Wait... what is The Brady Bunch movie?  I grew up watching the original series and thought the movie was some kind of lame reboot movie or something.  Since the cast was all different, I didn't bother.  It's actually a parody?  A parody of the original series?

Yes. It's absolutely brilliant. It's a parody of love and the cast is stacked. 

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEU_HF6TSVo

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2023, 02:04:15 PM »
Wow, that looks... interesting.

Online Adami

« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2023, 02:10:05 PM »
The Brady Bunch Movie is amazing but I'm not sure I'd call it a parody, it's very weird and unique.

It's essentially the family (though recast obviously) plucked from their show and dropped into 90's grunge California. So they're the same but the world is miserable, cynical, and modern (at the time). And despite whatever they encounter, they stay the same.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2023, 03:32:41 PM »
It's not an actual line from the movie, but my wife and I started saying (in appropriate contexts), "pick up the axe, Jan!"

It's sort of a parody-plus.  It wouldn't surprise me if it inspired the Brendan Fraser/Alicia Silverstone movie Blast from the Past.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2023, 04:03:29 PM »
The sequel definitely feels more straight up parody. I still say the original is quite unique.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2023, 08:04:10 AM »
Wife and I got caught up on a bunch of movies on Netflix. In order of how much I enjoyed them:

Red Notice - The Rock, Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot - very fun heist/spy/adventure type flick
Grey Man - Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans - Evans as a bad guy in an assassin/double-cross action movie
The Adam Project - Ryan Reynolds, Mark Ruffalo, some kid - time travel with some twists and a tear-jerker ending

There was at least one more but now I forgot  :lol.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2023, 07:04:39 AM »
Everything Everywhere All At Once - Thought this would be a home run. However first hour or so was fine, but then it turned into a purile comedy and I actually ended up hating it.
The Banshees of Inisherin - It was good (if not for everyone), but considering the talent maybe a tad underwhelming.  More Seven Psychopaths than In Bruges/Three Billboards..
Barbarian - Very much a three act horror movie - enjoyed it enough to recommend.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2023, 07:18:33 AM »
For some reason I clicked on the beginning of 'Moonfall' that had Halle Berry in it with a handful of B list actors and watched the whole thing. Good Lord....it was as bad as I thought it'd be and the only reason I watched it was to laugh and make fun of it the whole time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2023, 07:54:33 AM »
For some reason I clicked on the beginning of 'Moonfall' that had Halle Berry in it with a handful of B list actors and watched the whole thing. Good Lord....it was as bad as I thought it'd be and the only reason I watched it was to laugh and make fun of it the whole time.
Yeah, I caught that late last year.  One of the worst films I've ever seen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »
Yeah, I caught that late last year.  One of the worst films I've ever seen.

I didn't think it was all that bad, but it was a movie that didn't really know what it wanted to be.  Sci-fi drama?  Big budget action movie?  Morality play?  Comedy?  Or maybe it was that it tried to be all of those things.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2023, 10:15:06 AM »
It didn't succeed at any of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2023, 11:00:26 AM »
Never bothered to watch it.  How many "2012" style movies can you watch?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2023, 12:44:45 PM »
Never bothered to watch it.  How many "2012" style movies can you watch?
I wish that I had watched at least one fewer.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2023, 03:37:18 PM »
Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - Well here's one I wished I watched years ago. The entire cast is great but I really loved Gerrit Graham who stole what few scenes he was in. I feel like Menahem Golan tried to recreate the vibe of this movie when he made The Apple.......which I also love but for all the wrong reasons.

The French Connection (1971) - Great movie with a great cast but the real star is that car chase scene which felt so real......because it partially was due to them filming without proper permits and having to avoid hitting real pedestrians.

The Thing from Another World (1951) - Fun watch but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 50's monster movie. Has one hell of a fire stunt though.

Chinatown (1974) - I really liked it but Jack Nicholson really carries the movie on his shoulders and elevates it to something truly great.

The Driver (1978) - What the woman who sued the makers of Drive for false advertisement probably wanted to see. Pretty by the numbers but done well with some great chase sequences. Also it's always a joy to see Isabelle Adjani pop up in something.

Pecker (1998) - Pretty middle of the road John Waters movie. Might be his most normal movie but still has enough of his usual sense of humor for fans of his work.

Cecil B. Demented (2000) - Another John Waters movie but I feel like this on has aged really well with how movie theaters are at the moment. It's about an aspiring filmmaker who is fed up with the major studio system so he kidnaps a fading star to make his own underground movie as a giant middle finger to Hollywood. Plenty of the usual kind of chaos you'd expect from John Waters.

Exterminator 2 (1984) - Pretty much 2 different movies stapled together. The studio wasn't happy with the first cut and demanded reshoots which Robert Ginty wasn't available for. So for large chunks of the movie our lead is either played by a stunt double with a welders mask or vanishes entirely and the villain X played by Mario Van Peebles pretty much becomes the main character in his place. Still fun enough of a watch but its a complete mess.

A Dirty Shame (2004) - John Waters' return to his NC17 roots that bombed so hard it pretty much prevented him from getting funded for future projects until his upcoming Liarmouth movie. Now it's not my favorite of his movies but it's hardly prevent the guy from making movies for 19 years bad. Tracey Ullman is great in it and the casting of Johnny Knoxville also makes perfect sense.

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Enjoyable but way too god damn long. There is absolutely no need for this movie to be 3 hours long. You could shave at least half an hour off the runtime and honestly not miss much.

Siege (1983) - A pretty effective low budget thriller from Canada. The lone survivor of a massacre at a gay bar holds up in an apartment building thanks to  a couple of good samaritans who live there. They are stuck there without help with the gang outside and it's during a big police strike so there's no cops to call. Think assault on precinct 13 meets Home alone. This movie I think is actually prime remake material.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2023, 10:21:26 PM »
The French Connection (1971) - Great movie with a great cast but the real star is that car chase scene which felt so real......because it partially was due to them filming without proper permits and having to avoid hitting real pedestrians.

I loved the scene where the French connection is eating a lavish multi-course meal with his henchman, while Poppy Doyle and his partner are standing out in the rain, watching him and eating soggy pizza and cold coffee. Remember, kids, crime doesn't pay.  :lol

It was a good car chase for the reason you gave. There was nothing spectacular about it. The tension derived naturally from the story and the character, rather than because of stunts and crashes and whatnot. Friedken actually did a better one years later in To Live and Die in LA. He told his second unit director that the only way there could be a car chase in the movie was if it was better than TFC. It succeeds for much the same reason, though it's also a bit more spectacular. The situation that led up to the chase in TLaDiLA built up for a while to the point that by the time they had to run for it the amount of stress on these guys was just staggering. It's one where if you just watch the chase itself on YT it's good, but certainly not Bullet tremendous. If you watch it in the context of the movie, understanding what's going wrong for these two guys, it might be the best car chase ever. Easily my favorite.

The Thing from Another World (1951) - Fun watch but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 50's monster movie. Has one hell of a fire stunt though.
Keep watching the skies!  A guilty pleasure of mine. Very good movie for what it is. Does a good job of maintaining the tension, and making you relate to the isolation and the claustrophobia. It's the cynical reporter that makes it, really. Every movie needs one of those guys.

The Driver (1978)
Haven't seen it, but Bruce Dern and Walter Hill put it on my short list.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2023, 01:51:10 PM »
The Menu - Ralph Fiennes in a thriller about a top end restaurant. Not the best film ever but unique and full of character. Liked it a lot.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2023, 02:10:24 PM »
Forbidden Planet (1956)

Love this movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2023, 02:12:35 PM »
The Menu - Ralph Fiennes in a thriller about a top end restaurant. Not the best film ever but unique and full of character. Liked it a lot.

One of my favorite movies of 2022. :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »
Forbidden Planet (1956)

Love this movie

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Anne Francis FTW!

Used to live across the street from one of those old art decco theaters from the 40s that showed different movies every night. Anytime Forbidden Planet was showing we'd make a point to catch it. One of those older movies that really benefits from being on the big screen. Considering what science fictions movies looked like in the 50's they really went all out for this one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2023, 05:03:07 PM »
Yeah, she was a babe.  Whenever I happen to catch that movie on TV, I'll sit and watch it just for her.

Online Adami

« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2023, 07:32:14 PM »
Elvis.

Not....a great movie. Austin is great as Elvis, I'm not nearly as blown away but it was a very solid performance. But the rest of the movie? Sheesh. It was a frenetic fever dream of a movie. It was almost 3 hours and felt like it was about to end the entire time. Like it had the heightened energy of a movie about to end from about 1 minute into it. The only time it didn't feel like it was about to end was when it was about to end.

Yea, weird directing choices, weird editing choices, boring script. Not a fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2023, 07:56:00 AM »
Elvis.

Not....a great movie. Austin is great as Elvis, I'm not nearly as blown away but it was a very solid performance. But the rest of the movie? Sheesh. It was a frenetic fever dream of a movie. It was almost 3 hours and felt like it was about to end the entire time. Like it had the heightened energy of a movie about to end from about 1 minute into it. The only time it didn't feel like it was about to end was when it was about to end.

Yea, weird directing choices, weird editing choices, boring script. Not a fan.

It's a shame, too, because in a lot of cases, the real life version was probably as interesting if not more interesting.  I really didn't understand some of the artistic choices; what did they bring to the table?   (And I'm not even talking about the "woke" angle of some of the liberties taken, like the whole Beale streets association).

I'm also a little turned off by what's his name adopting the mannerisms at his public appearances (like the last one with Lisa Marie) and on SNL.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2023, 10:19:02 AM »
All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

This was an amazing film.  I totally see why it was nominated for Best Picture.  I took turns watching in the original German with English subtitles and an English dub, but it was fairly stunning either way.  Two thumbs up.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #272 on: February 11, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »
Glass Onion.

It was fun, witty and entertaining, I'd daresay even better than the first movie (Knives Out). Looking forward to a third chapter if the series will continue!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2023, 09:43:19 AM »
Santa Sangre (1989) - My first movie by Alejandro Jodorowsky and I've heard it's his most accessible film which is really saying something. The movie is bright and colorful and just beautiful to watch. The movie itself is like Psycho on LSD with a dash of Bill Lustig's Maniac thrown in for good measure. Not for everyone but if you enjoy strange movies made by weirdos like I do it's worth a watch.

Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge (1989) - Fun 80's low budget nonsense. Also despite the title it is NOT a sequel to anything.

The Rats are Coming, The Werewolves are here (1972), Guru The Mad Monk (1970), The Man with 2 Heads (1972) - I don't think I can sum up 3 Andy Milligan movies without repeating myself so I'll just list them together. Milligan is responsible for some of the worst movies I have ever seen but they also have their weird sort of charm to them. They're all technically inept with bad cinematography, bad editing, bad F/X, muddled stories, bad sound mixing and acting that ranges from decent to atrocious. They have a car crash quality to them that it's hard to look away from. He is a very fascinating film maker but I can't recommend his movies to anybody unless they like trash cinema. Which I do.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
I finally saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Highly entertaining for sure, and one I wish I would have seen in the theater back in the day, but ah well.  Fun flick.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2023, 11:09:25 AM »
I remember that movie being a big deal when I saw it in the theater. So much so with me that when I saw The Wall a few years later, I thought "Hey! Eddie Valiant is Pink's manager!" I don't know if I saw it more than once or twice back then, and haven't seen it in all the time since.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2023, 11:11:09 AM »
I finally saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Highly entertaining for sure, and one I wish I would have seen in the theater back in the day, but ah well.  Fun flick.

Saw it 6 times in the theater. I was obsessed with the movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »
Fun movie.  I thought the interaction between the live action and the cartoon animation was very well done.  Hoskins is always great, Christopher Lloyd is Christopher Lloyd, and the 'toons were a riot.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2023, 04:02:41 PM »
Fun movie.  I thought the interaction between the live action and the cartoon animation was very well done.  Hoskins is always great, Christopher Lloyd is Christopher Lloyd, and the 'toons were a riot.

One think I like is that they made it even more difficult for themselves and had the toons interact with real objects. Like they could've let them use cartoon guns but no they animated around a floating gun on a stick
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2023, 10:28:17 PM »
Yeah, that kind of thing.  The line between cartoon and live action was not definitive, which was cool.