Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 46604 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Last movie you saw? v2.0
« on: September 30, 2022, 04:31:13 AM »
Old thread here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43505.0

In any case, I last watched Top Gun Maverick. Felt like an 80s movie with 2020s effects budget. And that was by no means a bad thing.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 06:15:32 AM »
I started watching a movie called Down Periscope last night. Fell asleep with 25 minutes or so left. Can't wait to finish it. It was a hilarious. Great cast too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »
We've had a Roku for a couple of years now, and somewhere in there, I mentally switched from flipping channels on the cable box to searching for stuff on Roku, whatever channels we have.  It's totally different mentality when you can just decide what you want to see and search for it, rather than spinning the dial and hoping for the best.  But I was kinda bored with random YouTube stuff and trying to think of a TV series that I always wanted to rewatch, so I switched over to the cable box and flipped channels for a while.  Caught a scene of something on HBO (one of the 1000 HBO channels) with some bare boobs, and I thought "Oh yeah, I used to flip channels looking for an R-rated movie for just this reason."  But our cable has been screwed up for a while now and we don't get only program information.  No title, no description.  Just boobs.  Then the scene was over and I moved on, with no idea whose boobs I'd just seen or what movie it was.

I caught "The Godfather" early on.  Michael was on his way to the hospital to visit Don Vito.  Of course, I had to sit and watch, and pretty soon I realized that I couldn't continue because originally I'd just sat down to kill half an hour before I had to go to work.  Crap.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »
I started watching a movie called Down Periscope last night. Fell asleep with 25 minutes or so left. Can't wait to finish it. It was a hilarious. Great cast too.

That movie was a lot better than I expected it to be.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
Werewolf of London (1935)

Since it's the spooky season, I figured I would try to see as many of the old Universal horror films as I can this month.  Thankfully, there are a shit ton of them on Peacock.

At any rate, this is not the best of them, but it IS the first mainstream Hollywood film to depict a werewolf on screen.  Jack Pierce's original design for the makeup didn't get used in this one, but would be used six years later in the much better The Wolf Man.  What he wound up using for this film is still OK for the time, but not as good as the other, original design.

It was fun, and somewhat charming, but not as good as other Universal films that came before and after it.  This film inspired An American Werewolf in London and, presumably, Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 04:08:17 PM »
Seven Thieves

Cool heist movie from 1960, great cast and great job by Edward G Robinson as always.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 09:44:34 PM »

That movie was a lot better than I expected it to be.

Yeah…..fun movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 08:59:23 AM »
I watched "We're The Millers" again last night.  That movie never ceases to make me laugh.  I don't really care for Jennifer Aniston and even she's great in that movie. 

Brad Gurdlinger: [On the phone with David] I'm just getting some singing lessons from my main man Ben Folds Five. Ain't that right Ben Folds Five?
Ben Folds - Piano Teacher: My name is Ben Folds. "Five" is the name of the band.
Brad Gurdlinger: Remember the song we used to listen to? 'She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly' I've fucking got the guy. He's like my personal bitch.
Ben Folds - Piano Teacher: This gig sucks.
Brad Gurdlinger: Don't talk to me like that. I will have you killed and no one will miss your fucking nerd music.

David Clark:  Nothing ruins your life like children.
Rose O'Reilly: Yeah. And it also sends that message to teens, just stick to the big A.
David Clark:  Yeah, anal.
Rose O'Reilly and Casey Mathis:  ABSTINENCE!"
David Clark:  Abstinence, you meant.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 12:59:46 PM »
The Wolf Man (1941)

Much, much better film than the earlier Werewolf of London.  Great to see Lon Chaney in all his glory.  Obviously the werewolf makeup/effects are dated, but the atmosphere in the film is quite good, and I feel that overall it still holds up.

Interestingly, the full moon is neither seen nor ever mentioned in this film.  Just not part of the lore, as far as this film is concerned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 01:22:19 PM »
So he just becomes a werewolf every night, or randomly, or...?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »
It only took place over a few nights.  The phrase or "legend" that keeps getting recited is

"Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night;
May become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Of course, you have to have been bitten by a werewolf.  This main character, once he was bitten, turned three nights in a row, and was killed the third night.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »
Interesting.  So as with most "creature" lore, it's changed over the years.  Vampires used to be able to come out during the day with no problem, and they sure as hell didn't sparkle.  Werewolves have gone from "the autumn moon is bright" to a full moon.  And so on.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 09:13:37 AM »
Yep, yep.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 11:38:16 PM »
Finally got around to watching the new Top Gun movie. That was a fun ride. For a minute there I thought they were going to do a shot for shot remake of the original  :lol It was close...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 08:14:40 AM »
Frankenstein (1931)

One of the big two.  I had not seen this in years, so it was fun to revisit.  The makeup design by the legendary Jack Pierce remains deservedly iconic, and Boris Karloff gives a tortured, touching performance.

Of course, the depiction of the monster is different than in Shelley's original novel, but I don't care.  The novel isn't that good a read, anyway.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
I watched the Elvis movie on the weekend. I found it a little haphazard.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
Hellraiser (the reboot).

Decent. Much better than all the old sequels.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 07:20:52 AM »
Hellraiser (the reboot).

Decent. Much better than all the old sequels.
It would almost HAVE to be.  After Hellraiser 2, they were all pretty awful.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 04:57:48 AM »
Finally got around to watching Quiet Place 2. It was OK. It felt.like the more we saw the monsters, the stupider they were. They were much scarier in the first movie where they were mostly only seen in brief flashes until the very end. I sort of dislike the whole mindless killing machine monster thing that's been done so many times. Then there's always the one obvious flaw that the protagonists use to defeat them.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 07:54:58 AM »
Halloween Ends

Much better movie than Halloween Kills but fails as a Halloween chapter. Pity.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 10:28:32 AM »
Halloween Ends.

What a weird movie. It's not entirely awful but it's not a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy or final chapter of Michael Myers imo.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

This gets a lot of press, but it wasn't quite as enjoyable as the original.  Karloff is fantastic, again, and learns to speak (a little).  The Bride doesn't show up until the last 10 minutes or so.

Classic, for sure.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2022, 09:21:55 AM »
"Rope" from Alfred Hitchcock. They don't make movies like this anymore. As a 21st Century horror-watcher, there were so many tropes I'm used to never came. There were no surprises, bait and switches or jump scares, just pure suspense. The single setting, "single continuous shot" of it built up the intensity as the movie progressed. I'm watching as much classic horror as possible this Fall while riding the Peloton. I've always wanted to do it (get in shape and see all of the classics). It's been a great time.

-Tof

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 10:22:44 AM »
Dracula (1931)

The granddaddy of them all.  Simply iconic imagery, from Bela Lugosi as the Count, to the castle.  Loads of atmosphere.  Very, very nice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2022, 10:45:52 AM »
Watched Ghostbusters* with the elder kid this weekend. One of my favorite movies from my childhood, but hadn't seen it in many years. Just as entertaining as I remembered.

*I was afraid I was going to have to specify 1984 in the title, as I had believed there were two films entitled Ghostbusters, but I just saw that the 2016 film is officially called Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.

https://gizmodo.com/nope-ghostbusters-has-not-suddenly-gotten-a-new-title-1786062339
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2022, 03:10:37 PM »
Nomadland. It didn't reasonate with me at all, I don't want to be disrespectful toward the director, the always great Frances McDormand or the plight of the people depicted in the movie, but it seemed melodramatic Oscar bait from start to finish.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »
Dracula (1931)

The granddaddy of them all.  Simply iconic imagery, from Bela Lugosi as the Count, to the castle.  Loads of atmosphere.  Very, very nice.

Interesting thing about this movie: A Spanish-language version was shot by a different cast and crew on the same sets as the English version.  The English version would shoot during the day; the Spanish version would shoot at night. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
The Mummy (1932)

Unlike the other Universal horror films I've been watching this month, I had never before see this one.  Wow, what a fun watch!  Boris Karloff was amazing (here credited as simply Karloff).  Very nice.

Unlike most of the other Universal horror films, this one didn't have an actual sequel.  There were other Mummy films, but they were retellings, not further adventures of any of these characters.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2022, 01:10:30 AM »
Halloween Ends

After a relatively strong start with Halloween 2018 setting up a big showdown between Michael and Laurie, they decide to sideline Laurie in Halloween Kills. As if that didn’t kill any momentum the story had going for it, they then decide to jump 4 years to Laurie baking Halloween cookies and finish the trilogy out by sidelining Michael freaking Myers in Halloween Ends?!

Putting my writer cap on- this trilogy SHOULD have taken place in near real time during one Halloween night with a extremely simple, efficient and tight pace (ala Terminator) focusing squarely on Michael and the Strode family. It’s called Halloween/Ends for crying out loud- this shit writes itself.

You’ve got to imaging the big studio execs are having second thoughts about giving David Gordon Green the keys to The Exorcist franchise with how badly he shit the bed with the Halloween franchise.

Offline HOF

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2022, 10:09:14 AM »
The Vast of Night

I don’t watch many movies, but this one was short and my wife was sure I’d like it, and I did! If anyone else used to listen to Art Bell Coast to Coast late at night growing up like I did, I think you might like it too.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6803046/

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »
Fantastic Beasts The Secrets of Dumbledore. Well... that was a movie. Not sure why they felt the need to get so convoluted in the plot. A shame that this series will probably never be completed, but the movie just got worse as they went, so maybe it's for the best.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2022, 11:26:39 AM »
Top Gun: Maverick

Wow, that really WAS good!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2022, 04:08:35 PM »
Top Gun: Maverick

Wow, that really WAS good!

Felt like an old fashioned action film. I loved it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »
It was old-fashioned, yet fresh and new at the same time. It felt like where 80s action films should have progressed toward, not the Michael Bay explosion-fests we ended up with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 04:03:31 AM »
Given the time of the year, I finally catched up with two ultra super mega classics I've never seen: both the original movies of successful horror franchises.

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

I may or may have not seen the first Freddy Kruger movie when I was a kid, at least in parts - I remember the scene of the girls in white singing the nursery rhyme about him. Not really my thing but it was nice seeing the rise of such an iconic character.

Halloween, I actually never seen it. Good movie with a legit plot and not just a cheap jumpscare or gore fest. I'm just a bit puzzled at how it's clearly estabilished Michael Myers is just a deranged and insane person, but he suddenly goes the Rasputin way of being repeatedly stabbed and shot and refusing to die. Is he a crazy killer or is he a supernatural force, the "bogeyman"? the movie felt unsure about it.

Anyway, absolutely iconic soundtrack, it was a return to my childhood hearing all those sound effects that clearly mark the decade in both movies  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!