Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 46597 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2022, 06:12:54 PM »
Depends on one's interest in Python, really. I always preferred Brian to Grail. HG is a bit too silly for my taste. Brian is the smarter movie, I think. In truth, I might prefer Meaning of LIfe to Grail. It's inconsistent, but at times funnier and better done.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2022, 06:31:59 PM »
Reading all this Python talk makes me want to watch A Fish Called Wanda.  So brilliantly written and acted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2022, 07:14:59 PM »
I need to revisit The Meaning of Life as well.  I haven't seen that since the 90s, but I know I thought it was funny.

A Fish Called Wanda is amazing.  Kevin Kline gives one of the all-time comedic performances.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2022, 07:32:45 PM »
Seriously.   Him trying to apologize, practicing in the car is gold. Plus his Italian.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2022, 07:34:50 PM »
"I'm sorry, are you thinking or are you in mid-stutter?"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That is in contention for best line ever.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
Yes, A Fish Called Wanda is an all time classic.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2022, 10:49:58 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

My father was in the Secret Service, Mr. Manfredjensenjen, and I happen to know perfectly well that you do not keep the general public informed when you are debriefing a KGB defector in a safe house.

That whole scene had me in sheer hysteria the first time I saw it. Still holds up well today.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2022, 04:57:46 PM »

My father was in the Secret Service, Mr. Manfredjensenjen, and I happen to know perfectly well that you do not keep the general public informed when you are debriefing a KGB defector in a safe house.

That whole scene had me in sheer hysteria the first time I saw it. Still holds up well today.

The fact that the wife managed to spit out that convoluted last name (Manfredjensenjen) on the spot despite Otto having just made it up as it was coming out of his mouth slayed me.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »
Weird

I learned so much about Al. And man, do I have a crush on Evan Rachel Wood. Seeing her as Madonna was kinda hot.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2022, 01:40:17 AM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, never saw it back in the day.

I watched it because I've been to Greece and I thought it would be a cool reminder of the culture, however it was just another cheesy ultra stereotyped romantic flick not to my taste. I get it was famous but the family amping up their greekness to eleven all the way through the movie was annoying.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2022, 09:28:23 AM »
D.O.A. (1950)

Noirvember continues with this film that is considered to be a classic of the film noir genre.  What I will say is that the CONCEPT, the story conceit, is a fantastic idea, but the finished product was not my favorite film. 

What is that concept, you ask? 

The opening scene is a man coming into a police station to report a murder.  The victim?  Himself.  The rest of the film is basically one long flashback explaining what he means.  He is an accountant and notary public who goes on a solo vacation and winds up partying with a group of people there for a convention.  After he falls ill the next day and goes to a doctor to get checked out, it turns out he has been poisoned, a "luminous toxin" for which there is no cure, and he only has about a week to live.  The rest of the film is him re-tracing his steps, and trying to solve the mystery of who has poisoned him and why.

Like I said, neat idea for a movie, but it just didn't sit as well with me as most of the other noir films I've seen.  Worth watching? Yes, but probably not worth re-watching.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2022, 09:55:42 AM »
Apparently, they have made a Clerks III

First one is one of my favorite comedies. Part II wasn't for me. Part III goes back to the original location of the first one, but its just not the same unfortunately.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
Obviously Clerks deserves its place in history. However, I really loved Clerks II. It has a very different style to the first and it's much more of an expansion than a by the books sequel, but I thought it was fantastic.

Clerks III I was not excited about after the largely disappointing Jay and Bob Reboot. However, I mostly enjoyed it. The comedy was....bland and not terribly funny, but the drama? Probably Smith's best drama in a very long time. This movie had a hell of an emotional gut punch, several in fact, and the actor playing Dante really rose to the occasion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2022, 10:11:45 AM »
Depends on one's interest in Python, really. I always preferred Brian to Grail. HG is a bit too silly for my taste. Brian is the smarter movie, I think. In truth, I might prefer Meaning of LIfe to Grail. It's inconsistent, but at times funnier and better done.

I'd say overall HG has the greatest number of belly laughs, but Brian is undoubtedly their magnum opus. The perfect combo of silly and poignant.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2022, 10:46:05 AM »

I watched it because I've been to Greece and I thought it would be a cool reminder of the culture, however it was just another cheesy ultra stereotyped romantic flick not to my taste. I get it was famous but the family amping up their greekness to eleven all the way through the movie was annoying.

Nia Vardalos wrote the story based on her own family and experiences in a Greek community in Winnipeg.  Maybe Greek-Canadian culture is different than actual Greek culture? 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
D.O.A. (1950)

Noirvember continues with this film that is considered to be a classic of the film noir genre.  What I will say is that the CONCEPT, the story conceit, is a fantastic idea, but the finished product was not my favorite film. 

The opening scene is a man coming into a police station to report a murder.  The victim?  Himself.  The rest of the film is basically one long flashback explaining what he means.  He is an accountant and notary public who goes on a solo vacation and winds up partying with a group of people there for a convention.  After he falls ill the next day and goes to a doctor to get checked out, it turns out he has been poisoned, a "luminous toxin" for which there is no cure, and he only has about a week to live.  The rest of the film is him re-tracing his steps, and trying to solve the mystery of who has poisoned him and why.

Like I said, neat idea for a movie, but it just didn't sit as well with me as most of the other noir films I've seen.  Worth watching? Yes, but probably not worth re-watching.

There's a remake with Dennis Quaid that I remember liking quite a bit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2022, 11:45:36 AM »
D.O.A. (1950)

There's a remake with Dennis Quaid that I remember liking quite a bit.
I may check that out. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2022, 12:24:37 PM »

Nia Vardalos wrote the story based on her own family and experiences in a Greek community in Winnipeg.  Maybe Greek-Canadian culture is different than actual Greek culture?

Well, stereotypes in the end are based on reality, they're just exagerations. I assume all those traits she portrayed in the movie are there, she just painted a picture where an entire family is like that all the time, always. Hey, not even italians eat pasta all day, all days  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »
Do films released on Netflix count too here? If they do, then the last film I've seen was Metal Lords.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:45 PM »
Just got out of seeing The Menu, a dark comedy that takes a major swing at the pretentious side of the culinary industry, both on the service side and the foodie side. Absolutely outstanding.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2022, 08:43:20 PM »
A Christmas Story Christmas

I was not ready to cry. Damn it. Worthy sequel.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:52:41 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2022, 09:13:15 PM »
I forgot there was Clerks III. I need to watch that. Clerks was a favorite of mine in my late teens, easily a Top 3 quotable movie with me and my friends.

First time I watched A Fish Called Wanda, I didn't get it, which speaks to my humor sensibilities at the time. Watching it again years later I was able to appreciate the humor.

The Monty Python movies I always felt I should enjoy more than I do, but they just don't do much for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2022, 06:49:16 AM »
Do films released on Netflix count too here?
Yes, of course.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2022, 10:16:47 AM »
Just got out of seeing The Menu, a dark comedy that takes a major swing at the pretentious side of the culinary industry, both on the service side and the foodie side. Absolutely outstanding.
I have to watch that (and I will), because I always loved Ralph Fiennes as an actor, regardless if he's Lord Voldemort, M or any other role.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2022, 10:29:21 AM »
I have to watch that (and I will), because I always loved Ralph Fiennes as an actor, regardless if he's Lord Voldemort, M or any other role.

He's so damn good in this too, all the actors are, and it's a tremendous cast.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2022, 10:00:31 PM »
Goncharov (1973) directed by Martin Scorsese

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2022, 06:13:27 PM »
Finally got around to watching True Grit this afternoon.  Very good, as would be expected at the very least when it's a Coen Brothers film.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2022, 11:37:53 PM »
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

Saw an advanced screening this weekend.

Really well done! animation, sans for a few of the action sequences which look like storyboards, was really good.

Entertaining story, and nice return after a decade from the "Macho Gatto" lol.

And it sets up nicely for the next Shrek movie in 2023.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2022, 11:12:07 AM »
The Killing (1956)

Stanley Kubrick's third feature film, this is yet another example of the film noir genre (most likely my last for this year).  It's kind of a heist film, but of course things go wrong and shit happens.  very well made, and starring the ever-pleasant Sterling Hayden. this was a pretty good flick.  One thumb up.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2022, 11:15:32 AM »
The Killing (1956)

Stanley Kubrick's third feature film, this is yet another example of the film noir genre (most likely my last for this year).  It's kind of a heist film, but of course things go wrong and shit happens.  very well made, and starring the ever-pleasant Sterling Hayden. this was a pretty good flick.  One thumb up.

Saw it once and mostly liked it. Afterward read that Kubrick was forced to put in the narration and hated it so much that he made it give wrong information. But I don't recall noticing the narration being incorrect, did you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »
No, but I kind of zoned out with the narration and didn't pay much attention, because I've heard that trope so many times now lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2022, 12:47:48 PM »
The Killing (1956)

I'll have to check this out. I like Kubrick, and I've been itching to watch a good noir film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2022, 12:52:55 PM »
The Killing (1956)

I'll have to check this out. I like Kubrick, and I've been itching to watch a good noir film.
Well, there are better noir films, and there are certainly better Kubrick films.  But if you want to knock out two birds with one stone, this is a good choice.

He also did an earlier noir called Killer's Kiss, but I haven't seen it, so I can't give an informed opinion on it, but it wasn't as well reviewed as The Killing.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »
The Killing (1956)

Well, there are better noir films, and there are certainly better Kubrick films.  But if you want to knock out two birds with one stone, this is a good choice.

He also did an earlier noir called Killer's Kiss, but I haven't seen it, so I can't give an informed opinion on it, but it wasn't as well reviewed as The Killing.
Do you have a good noir film or two to recommend?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2022, 01:34:45 PM »
The Killing (1956)

Do you have a good noir film or two to recommend?
Sure!

Key Largo
To Have And Have Not
Sunset Boulevard
The Maltese Falcon
The Naked City
Out of the Past

Those are my favorites.