Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50280 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 08:06:06 AM »
It was old-fashioned, yet fresh and new at the same time. It felt like where 80s action films should have progressed toward, not the Michael Bay explosion-fests we ended up with.
That's a great way to describe it.

Given the time of the year, I finally catched up with two ultra super mega classics I've never seen: both the original movies of successful horror franchises.

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

I may or may have not seen the first Freddy Kruger movie when I was a kid, at least in parts - I remember the scene of the girls in white singing the nursery rhyme about him. Not really my thing but it was nice seeing the rise of such an iconic character.

Halloween, I actually never seen it. Good movie with a legit plot and not just a cheap jumpscare or gore fest. I'm just a bit puzzled at how it's clearly estabilished Michael Myers is just a deranged and insane person, but he suddenly goes the Rasputin way of being repeatedly stabbed and shot and refusing to die. Is he a crazy killer or is he a supernatural force, the "bogeyman"? the movie felt unsure about it.

Anyway, absolutely iconic soundtrack, it was a return to my childhood hearing all those sound effects that clearly mark the decade in both movies  :D
Check out Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2022, 02:36:21 AM »
Was thinking today about method acting and how some actors goes so deep into their character on set. I wonder what a movie with Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale and Joaquin Phoenix would be like.

The set would be nuts.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2022, 04:00:24 AM »
Was thinking today about method acting and how some actors goes so deep into their character on set. I wonder what a movie with Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale and Joaquin Phoenix would be like.

Jared Leto sounds the worst.  At least Lewis, Bale and Phoenix give great performances, Leto method acts like a prick on set and still gives shit performances  ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2022, 08:05:18 AM »
M (1931)

Noirvember is off to a good start with this, Fritz Lang's first film with sound, and by his own admission his magum opus.  A German impressionist film (don't watch if you don't like subtitles), this is a masterpiece.  Some consider it the first noir film.  I wouldn't quite go that far, but it definitely lays the foundation for the genre.  Peter Lorre's first starring role.

Two thumbs up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2022, 11:57:00 AM »

Jared Leto sounds the worst.  At least Lewis, Bale and Phoenix give great performances, Leto method acts like a prick on set and still gives shit performances  ;D
Can't say i've seen anything I dislike with Jared actually although I haven't seen anything by him in a while. I think all of them demands alot from their co-stars given their own commitment so I guess all of them are demanding and can appear to be pricks on set. Bale had the leaked video of him going bezerk on a person on set. Michael Caine once said he used to be tough on people on set.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2022, 05:06:40 PM »

Go watch Dallas Buyers Club and report back.  Not saying I am a big fan of Leto, but he was terrific in that film.  He earned that Academy Award.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »

Go watch Dallas Buyers Club and report back.  Not saying I am a big fan of Leto, but he was terrific in that film.  He earned that Academy Award.

He really did. He was amazing in that movie. He was also amazing in Requiem for a Dream.

That's....about it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2022, 05:12:35 PM »

He really did. He was amazing in that movie. He was also amazing in Requiem for a Dream.

That's....about it?

His character earned that beatdown he got from the narrator in Fight Club.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2022, 07:26:54 PM »
The grand Budapest hotel

it was quite lovely

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »
The grand Budapest hotel

it was quite lovely

Everything about that movie is fantastic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2022, 02:46:16 AM »
The grand Budapest hotel

it was quite lovely

Everything about that movie is fantastic.

I concour!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2022, 08:11:22 PM »
Weird:  The Al Yankovic Story

Fucking hilarious.   :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2022, 09:24:00 PM »

Is this in theaters?  Some streaming platform?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Grappler

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2022, 07:21:03 AM »

Streaming for free on The Roku Channel.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Grappler

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2022, 08:11:50 PM »

Never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

If you have or use a Roku streaming device, then you probably have it built in or can download the channel.  If not, I believe it's streaming on the Roku Channel's website as well. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2022, 09:52:43 AM »
So...I watched the Weird Al movie last night.

I mean...the name certainly did not misrepresent the content.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2022, 01:21:47 PM »
Noirvember continues with Out of the Past (1947).  Holy crap.  I was hoping for a good movie, but this was FANTASTIC.  Starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, and Kirk Douglas, this is a film noir masterpiece.

Employing lots of noir tropes (narration by the protagonist, a femme fatale, double crosses) and a sophisticated plot, this is going to earn a spot on my list of favorite films.

TWO THUMBS WAY UP

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2022, 02:55:24 PM »
Noirvember continues with Out of the Past (1947).  Holy crap.  I was hoping for a good movie, but this was FANTASTIC.  Starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, and Kirk Douglas, this is a film noir masterpiece.

Employing lots of noir tropes (narration by the protagonist, a femme fatale, double crosses) and a sophisticated plot, this is going to earn a spot on my list of favorite films.

TWO THUMBS WAY UP
Big Mitchum fan. I'll definitely check that out.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Grappler

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2022, 09:49:30 AM »
So...I watched the Weird Al movie last night.

I mean...the name certainly did not misrepresent the content.

I thought it was brilliant.  The man who made a name for himself by writing song parodies does a bio-pic that is one giant parody of bio-pics. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »
I read that the original script for Weird Al's biopic included time travel and multiverses  :lol

As for recently flicks watched, I finally saw Little Nicky for the first time over the weekend. I was a little underwhelmed TBH. Probably one of the weaker Happy Madison productions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:14:12 AM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »
Ahhh, red snappah. Mmmmm. Thats very tasty feesh.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2022, 03:11:38 PM »

TWO THUMBS WAY UP
Big Mitchum fan. I'll definitely check that out.
You will dig it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2022, 06:42:36 AM »
World of Tomorrow
I love this short a lot, and going back to it is always a treat. I'm gonna revisit part 2 and 3 soon, they're all great.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2022, 01:34:26 PM »
Noirvember continues with a neo-noir, The Long Goodbye (1973), starring Elliott Gould as Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe, and directed by Robert Altman.

I don't know.  This was a weird one.  Although I normally really enjoy Gould and Altman, this was probably my least favorite film for both of them.  It had that early 70s charm, for sure, which almost makes it worth the watch alone, but it redates the story from the 50s of the original novel to the 70s, although Marlowe drives a 1948 Lincoln Continental.  It makes plenty of other changes from the novel, as well, and Altman famously didn't care what Chandler fans would think of the film. It also features an early uncredited role for Arnold Schwarzenegger.

It also features a "score" from John Williams, which basically consisted of a single title track complete with lyrics, recorded by 6 or 7 different acts and played at various times throughout the film.

I don't know.  Worth watching, I suppose, but not worth a re-watch.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2022, 09:32:49 PM »
Pearl (2022):

This is a fantastic psychological drama/horror movie. Mia Goth’s performance is absolutely incredible and she totally deserves an Oscar nom for it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:50:48 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2022, 04:21:12 AM »
Checked off a big, big movie from the "famous movies I've never seen" list.

A Clockwork Orange. Yup, I never saw it.

A movie so famous enters in the pop culture so you don't need to have seen the movie to know stuff; my superficial assumption was that most of the movie was about the violence of the gang, and that iconic scene of him with his eyes preyed open would have been the end, where he would have been caught and forcefully reformed. I didn't know there was a whole "third act" so to speak with the aftermath of him coming out of prison.

Overall, I liked it. Some scenes of course were difficult to get through, especially with that weird way Alex was speaking. Most despicable character? the probation officer that surprised Alex at home, the way he was speaking was beyond irritating.

I can only imagine the impact it had upon release, probably there was nothing else like it back then. Of course now it feels weird and dated (the fake background during the driving scene is a snapchat of a moment in history), but it's easy to see why it became so famous.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2022, 07:16:50 AM »
A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies.  Definitely because it's such a weird, challenging movie, not because I actually enjoy watching it.  Strange to say, but I don't even know if I'd say I like the movie, but Holy Shit, what a ride!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2022, 07:25:29 AM »
I thought it was a given that Alex was the most despicable character, although his fellow droogs are just as bad obviously. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »
I thought it was a given that Alex was the most despicable character, although his fellow droogs are just as bad obviously.

For sure, but the weird way of speaking and mannerisms of the probation officer (along with the sudden balls grabbing) really put me off.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2022, 11:52:33 AM »
I acknowledge the greatness that went into the creation of this film, but I've never liked it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2022, 12:45:45 PM »
The Naked City (1948)

Noirvember continues with this fantastic police procedural.  Starring Barry Fitzgerald and directed by Jules Dassin, this film was largely filmed on location in New York City rather than on sound stages (unlike most other films of the time), and won an Academy Award for Cinematography (and another for film editing).  It looks gorgeous, and it's a neat insight into police techniques of the time.  It follows the entire case, from the murder at the very beginning, through the evidence gathering and detective work, to a thrilling conclusion.

There are 8 million stories in the Naked City, and this was one of them.  Two thumbs up!

The film inspired a namesake TV series that ran from 1958-1959 (earning an Emmy) and 1960-1963.  I've seen a couple of episodes of this as well (it's available on the Roku Channel and Pluto).  Not bad, but not as good as the film.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
Thunder Road (1958)

Noirvember continues with this film with a story by, and starring, Robert Mitchum, as a Korean War veteran who has come home to the family business, running illegal whiskey through the mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina.  It involves trying to avoid revenue agents, as well as a larger level criminal trying to horn in on all of the small still businesses.

I don't know.  I watched it because it was listed as a noir by many people, but it is the least noirish noir I've seen.  As a creative personality, Mitchum is a fine actor, of course, but this story is kind of tepid.  Mitchum's son James is also in the film, cast as the younger brother of Robert Mitchum's character.  James Mitchum gives the worst acting performance I've ever seen, and that is no bullshit.  The film might be worth watching just for that, if you're into that kind of thing.  That role was originally written for Elvis Presley, but Col. Parker wanted WAY too much money for Elvis to appear, so that thought was scrapped.

Much of the movie was filmed in the mountains of North Carolina, and perhaps the footage should have been left there.  This was a big fat disappointment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
The Life of Brian

Good to revisit this one.  Not quite The Holy Grail level (few comedic films are, if any), but still pretty hysterical.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2022, 12:27:03 PM »
Yeah, probably my second favorite overall, right behind The Holy Grail.  Each of the Python films is different, which is cool.