Author Topic: Hurricane Ian.....  (Read 3081 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Hurricane Ian.....
« on: September 27, 2022, 02:44:58 PM »
Well this is our first Hurricane season in our new Florida home.  Wouldn't you know it... the first Hurricane hitting the state is supposed to steamroll right over us in North Port.   Think we got all the prep done, shutters are up and everything is off the lanai and pool area.   Gonna be putting the new generator to the test come Thursday morning probably.  Anyone else affected by this storm??

Offline jammindude

Re: Hurricane Ian.....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »
My son and his family just moved from Orlando proper, to Alamonte Springs just north of there. While they are inland, it still looks like the remnants of the storm are going to bulldoze over the top of them by Thursday. I hope everyone stays safe.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
Tampa resident here, so it was originally projected to hit us direct but now looks like it may be south of us (still hard to say) but either way looks like we're going to get a ton of rain north of the eye of the hurricane. I have a new home too and it's going to be interesting to see how bad the flooding gets.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 03:06:34 PM »
Good luck to all in the pathway  :heart

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 03:16:01 PM »
Good luck to every one down there.

We had scheduled a trip to Universal this week for Halloween Horror Nights back in the spring and I told my wife the only thing I worried about is that it’s during hurricane season. Sure enough. Thankfully we were able to reschedule to the end of October.

Stay safe.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline emtee

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 03:40:27 PM »
I am southwest of Orlando and unfortunately right in the crosshairs. Just got  a phone alert that our county is under a hurricane warning.

I an on team A at the hospital and will have to stay there for a minimum of 48 hours beginning tomorrow morning. My wife, daughter, son in law, grandkids and other friends and family will be cramming into my daughter's home. We're as ready as we can be. The rest is up to Mother Nature.

I went through Irma and it was an event I will never forget. This one might be a little worse.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »
I know a co-worker that moved to Indialantic Florida about a year ago working remotely.  That's a precarious place to be if you look at the map.  Storm surge can come in from either direction.  Wouldn't want to be on that island during a hurricane. :eek  She's right on the eastern edge of the forecast cone.  Says she'll be alright if they don't lose water and power.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 03:55:48 PM »
I am southwest of Orlando and unfortunately right in the crosshairs. Just got  a phone alert that our county is under a hurricane warning.

I an on team A at the hospital and will have to stay there for a minimum of 48 hours beginning tomorrow morning. My wife, daughter, son in law, grandkids and other friends and family will be cramming into my daughter's home. We're as ready as we can be. The rest is up to Mother Nature.

I went through Irma and it was an event I will never forget. This one might be a little worse.

Curious question, does the hospital give you guys and gals a place to sleep food and stuff? A hotel or at least a basement or something?

Online faizoff

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 03:57:08 PM »

I saw that they activated hurricane warnings for the Orlando area, the focus initially had been on the Tampa area and they got a lot of preparation done. As it goes with these storms the tracks keep changing and areas that are least prepared or expecting to get hit see the worst damage.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline emtee

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 04:22:51 PM »

Curious question, does the hospital give you guys and gals a place to sleep food and stuff? A hotel or at least a basement or something?

I will be on a blow-up air mattress in my office. They will provide meals. We have to be on-site, no hotel, to ensure operations continue and patients are well cared for. After the storm passes team B will releive us and I can go home. It comes with the territory when you work at a hospital in a hurricane zone.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 04:26:14 PM »
be safe anyone who is in the path....
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline emtee

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 04:27:27 PM »

I saw that they activated hurricane warnings for the Orlando area, the focus initially had been on the Tampa area and they got a lot of preparation done. As it goes with these storms the tracks keep changing and areas that are least prepared or expecting to get hit see the worst damage.

Yeah,  Tampa was going to get crushed so maybe this track is better. If 12+ feet of water blew into Tampa Bay for 36 hours, we wouldn't be able to recognize it after the storm. It's gonna hit as a cat 4 near Sarasota/Ft Myers. They are predicting over 30" of rain in some places. That's hard to comprehend.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »
I hate to say it but I agree, even though I'm getting the brunt of it now, a direct hit on Tampa would have been a disaster for sure.  For the Orlando folks hopefully it will be downgraded to a TS by the time it gets to you.  All the models I've seen is for it to dissipate quite quickly once it makes landfall.  2004 and Charlie were brutal for Port Charlotte/North Port/Punta Gorda, hopefully this one's intensity will be lower as the models predict.

Where are you at?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 07:23:55 PM »
First storm for me as a new Florida resident. I'm just north/east of Orlando proper (Oviedo specifically), so with any luck it'll just be a tropical storm by the time it gets here.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 08:12:51 PM »
Hurricane Fiona hit Atlantic Canada as a tropical storm on the weekend and the damage was immense.

Stay safe everyone. Hope this hurricane loses intensity before making landfall.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 12:20:13 AM »
Stay safe everyone! Hurricanes are something i've never experienced in my part of the world and hope I never will. It's such a crazy phenomenon and I think it's hard to truly understand what it's like unless you see it with your own eyes.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline emtee

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 06:20:54 AM »
155 MPH.

Some parts of Florida might br forever re-shaped. Scary stuff.

Online faizoff

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
Could land anywhere near the Port Charlotte, Fort Myers, Punta Gorda areas. This thing is massive, almost Cat 5 when it hits landfall with 12 - 16 ft storm surge. That is kinda insane. Going to be very rough.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 07:33:37 AM »
As a former Florida resident who had to evacuate my home when I was a kid due to a hurricane, I wish safety and the best of a bad situation for everyone there now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
gl everyone in FL
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 07:53:09 AM »
The Stadler family is in the line of fire.  My parent's condo is in Cape Coral, though mom is in assisted living about five miles away. She's safe, and will be well-taken care of.   My brother is a police officer in the county north of Cape Coral (which is Lee County) and he's been on duty/on call since yesterday at 9:00am.   I worry for him. I worry for the condo (though it's just property in the grand scheme of things).  I was down there from Sunday to yesterday; I considered staying, to ride it out, but in hindsight, I'm glad I left.  I would likely have had to evacuate and I'd have had nowhere to go. 

I worry. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 08:35:11 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
I have a lot of family in the Venice area, and I'm hoping they'll be okay.  Hopefully, they're all hunkered down at my uncle's house further inland and ready to stay there for a little while.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 12:02:41 PM »
Hope everyone in the path can stay safe

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2022, 12:20:32 PM »

I'm in east Orlando. 2004 was a bad fucking year for us. My neighborhood looked like it endured the shock and awe air strike. I had a tree fall on the house, and had to stay in a hotel for over a month.

I don't care to repeat that experience again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 01:09:19 PM »
Sandy was a nightmare when that happened in NY/NJ, these hurricanes and their storm surge can be really bad.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »
I didn't realize we has so many FL residents in the group. Hope everyone stays safe and has minimal property damage.

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
Landfall as Cat 4 with 150 mph winds at Fort Myers at 3:10 pm.

Some of the footage is insane.

https://twitter.com/mikebettes/status/1575180210219139080?s=20&t=JLGAaXqdAO88EXX4mUIgQA

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2022, 02:10:32 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »
Landfall as Cat 4 with 150 mph winds at Fort Myers at 3:10 pm.

Some of the footage is insane.

https://twitter.com/mikebettes/status/1575180210219139080?s=20&t=JLGAaXqdAO88EXX4mUIgQA
Then you have people like this:

https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1575132828626477056

Well, they are Floridiots after all!

Wow, that first vid is insane. Can't imagine what it would be like to be in that mess.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2022, 08:38:12 PM »
I am late to this thread, but hoping for safety for all members and their families and friends affected at all by this natural disaster.  Mother Nature is a cruel bitch.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2022, 08:59:35 PM »
My sister's in Orlando. Haven't heard an update from her in a couple of hours. Hope everything's okay.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2022, 12:27:23 AM »
Hopefully we can get a check-in from all who are down there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2022, 06:23:05 AM »
Wasn't too bad for the Tampa area, some areas lost power and debris spread around. Nothing major like Fort Myers, Naples area. Really feel bad for them down there, they felt the brunt of the storm.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2022, 06:38:31 AM »
Wasn't too bad for the Tampa area, some areas lost power and debris spread around. Nothing major like Fort Myers, Naples area. Really feel bad for them down there, they felt the brunt of the storm.

I spent 80% of my life in Pinellas county so I was really worried for my parents/brother who still live there. Then I saw the shift to south and my gut dropped because from my experience in Florida it's a huge ask to get people to evacuate in the first place but if the track of a hurricane is near the outer limits than most people aren't going anywhere. It makes it worse when hurricane tracks are often unpredictable outside of a couple days which casts a wide shadow of doubt for the entire population. My thoughts are with all the people down there.