Author Topic: Music Discussion Podcasts  (Read 869 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Music Discussion Podcasts
« on: September 25, 2022, 02:22:53 PM »
Does anyone else listen to any podcasts where people discuss music?  I tend to like ones that are dialogues of two or more music fans talking about particular bands or styles more than shows that just interview big-name artists.  Here are a number I've enjoyed over the last few years, but I'm always looking for more. 

Requiem Metal Podcast

The gold standard for metal podcasting, long episodes with in-depth research about various metal (often on the more extreme end) and blocks of full songs in-between conversational sets about the artists covered. 

Phil's Breakfast Metal

A few British guys talk about various metal, sometimes with clips, often a bit on the more obscure end. 

Radical Research

Two guys talk about some of the more experimental and avant-garde metal and prog bands with clips. 

That Metal Podcast

A dude in Texas and a revolving cast of his friends shoot the shit about metal (prog metal reasonably often) and metal culture, occasionally with forays into extra-topical stuff on movies, video games, sports and such.  No connection to Eddie Trunk's That Metal Show. 

Into The Combine

Three buddies talk about metal (mostly extreme, and some hardcore) they've been listening to recently, do dives into the discographies of certain bands, album reviews, and sometimes  artist interviews. 

History in Five Songs

Martin Popoff does exactly what the tin says. 

Bleeding Metal (formerly Metal and High Heels)

Two/three women and occasional guests talk about various metal bands and topics.  They've increasingly leaned much more heavily into social and political topics of late for my taste, but they still tend to cover more of the symphonic metal and such I like that most other podcasts seem to avoid. 

Heavy Metal Historian

Seems inactive or on a long hiatus, and violates my preference for conversations rather than monologues, but it's a well-researched primer on all kinds of metal topics, with short samples. 

No Filler

Two twins play samples and talk about music they like, which is often spinoffs of various alt rock movements, shoegaze, electronic music and such. 

There are also a number of podcasts that are still mostly dialogue, but have videos of the participants to go along with them:

Sea of Tranquility/Hudson Valley Squares/In The Prog Seat/Friday Morning at the Fun House

Lots of different things going on at Pete's channel, but I particularly enjoy the group discussions or conversations with Martin Popoff.  The Squares are classic/hard rock/classic metal-focused, but do touch on more modern, extreme, and adjacent music from time to time.  In The Prog Seat is prog rock/metal-centric and pretty pertinent to the interests of this forum. 

Hell's Headbangers/Hellcast

Two brothers that are extreme metal elitists talk about various metal topics.  A bit annoying because of their stereotypical parochial gatekeeping, but when it comes to the really heavy stuff they know their shit and can be entertaining. 

Banger

They had an actual podcast that was short-lived, but their Lock Horns shows in particular have been entertaining, even if they're a bit frustratingly underinformed on certain topics, particularly depending upon who is available to host and guest. 

Great Metal Podcast

Three friends discuss various metal topics.  A bit surface-level and sometimes the humor is too corny for me, but fun on occasion, as they are prog fans. 

Jams and Tea

Newer to me, but seems promising.  Some younger but prog-enlightened guys cover some prog canon, as well as some mainstream rock and such. 

The Prog Report:

I need to watch more of this one, but what I've seen so far is promising.  For some reason their topics don't often catch my eye, and I haven't quite connected with the personnel, but hopefully that'll change at some point. 

A lot of others I've seen a few episodes of, but not enough to get enough of a feeling for them yet.  There are also a lot of other channels that are music humor, reaction videos, album reviews, rankings, monologues/rants, etc.  Those have their time and place, but don't usually appeal to me as much as a good back and forth between music aficionados and enthusiasts. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Music Discussion Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 02:31:24 PM »
Oh man.  I can't get enough of this. My go to right now is Rocktails.  Ahmet Zappa and his friends drink and talk music. It is so hilarious.   It's a must for sure. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 03:01:00 PM »
Does anyone else listen to any podcasts where people discuss music?  I tend to like ones that are dialogues of two or more music fans talking about particular bands or styles more than shows that just interview big-name artists.  Here are a number I've enjoyed over the last few years, but I'm always looking for more. 
Not often.  I'll listen to something here or there but I don't follow anything regularly.  However....

Radical Research

Two guys talk about some of the more experimental and avant-garde metal and prog bands with clips. 

I stumbled across their episode on Simen Hestnæs recently and that was like the best thing ever.  I'll get around to checking out some more episodes (Fates Warning probably next) but they likely won't have the same impact, not that they won't be very enjoyable.  What was so great about that episode was hearing other people with the same over the top love of his work that I have.  I am at least acquaintances with people who like my other favorite bands, but not in this case, so it was such a cool listen.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »

Radical Research

I stumbled across their episode on Simen Hestnæs recently and that was like the best thing ever.  I'll get around to checking out some more episodes (Fates Warning probably next) but they likely won't have the same impact, not that they won't be very enjoyable.  What was so great about that episode was hearing other people with the same over the top love of his work that I have.  I am at least acquaintances with people who like my other favorite bands, but not in this case, so it was such a cool listen.

The Fates Warning episode is great, as you would expect given how much of a fan Jeff Wagner is (reading the FW book, by the way, and it's great so far)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
YouTube
Notes Reviews
The Prog Corner
Nathan on Shuffle
Taste Like Music
Viny Fury
Niamh The Prog Nerd
365 Days of Prog
Become the Knight
Jams & Tea

Podcasts
The Album Years
Prog Notes
Radical Research
Hall Watchers

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 03:56:46 PM »
The Fates Warning episode is great, as you would expect given how much of a fan Jeff Wagner is (reading the FW book, by the way, and it's great so far)

And the FW episode was completely winged.  They're one of those bands I've heard a few albums from (mostly earlier stuff), but always wanted to get deeper into.  The samples of the later ones I've heard seemed more intriguing. 

I stumbled across their episode on Simen Hestnæs recently and that was like the best thing ever.

And a similar deal there.  Every time I hear him in something it's great, but I've never really managed to get immersed into his work yet. 

Become the Knight

I've watched a few of his videos, but something about his style of commentary bugs me.  I'm not sure I can quite put my finger on what it is without watching one again, but part of it might be concision.  He seems to spend too much time on less relevant points for my taste.  I can put up with more trivial banter in a dialogue, but rambling monologues don't really work for me. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:03:21 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »

Radical Research

I will definitely listen to the episode and at some point I will read his book too.  I enjoyed Mean Deviation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 04:15:57 PM »
I’ll listen to The Album Years, The Prog Report, Sea of Tranquility from time to time. Rodrigo’s Sonic Perspectives is another one I’ll listen to from time to time.

Two Marillion-centric pods that I listen to are Steve Hogarth’s The Corona Diaries and a Marillion fan podcast called Between You And Me.

Gary Kemp and Guy Peart’s Rockonteurs podcast is really good depending on the guest. Have had some good episodes with Billy Corgan, Mike Rutherford, Roland Orzabal, Curt Smith, Patrick Leonard, etc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 04:21:21 PM »

And the FW episode was completely winged.  They're one of those bands I've heard a few albums from (mostly earlier stuff), but always wanted to get deeper into.  The samples of the later ones I've heard seemed more intriguing. 
I think much like DT, Fates Warning has fans of every album, every lineup, etc.  My favorite is A Pleasant Shade of Gray and that might be a good choice to recommend to you as well, along with Disconnected. I'm not sure if you've heard either of those; they aren't super recent but I guess aren't really "early" either. 

I stumbled across their episode on Simen Hestnæs recently and that was like the best thing ever.

And a similar deal there.  Every time I hear him in something it's great, but I've never really managed to get immersed into his work yet. 
I might not have explained that too well; I was already fully immersed when I found that episode; the reason I liked it so much was because they were being total fans and saying things I've said/thought to myself and attempted to articulate to others without much luck.  I'm sure I could find 2 guys gushing about Rush or DT and if it was well done I'd totally enjoy it, but I at least already have friends, online friends, acquaintances who know how awesome those bands are.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

Become the Knight

I've watched a few of his videos, but something about his style of commentary bugs me.  I'm not sure I can quite put my finger on what it is without watching one again, but part of it might be concision.  He seems to spend too much time on less relevant points for my taste.  I can put up with more trivial banter in a dialogue, but rambling monologues don't really work for me.

he has kind of a Jim Rome sort of personality and approach, which I find is just funny more than it is informative.

He has done some of these "Tier List" videos recently, which I find his comments funny on certain groups being classified as "Classic Rock" or "Metal."

I guess I can see why some people might be bugged by him and his narcissistic/I'm right-you're wrong approach per you don't know anything about Music Theory and I do, but I guess it doesn't bother me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 04:43:52 PM »
I might not have explained that too well; I was already fully immersed when I found that episode; the reason I liked it so much was because they were being total fans and saying things I've said/thought to myself and attempted to articulate to others without much luck.  I'm sure I could find 2 guys gushing about Rush or DT and if it was well done I'd totally enjoy it, but I at least already have friends, online friends, acquaintances who know how awesome those bands are.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like finding people who are really into some of the same more obscure artists that you are.  Everybody has an opinion about Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, all the iconic bands and such, but the more fun ones are more often overlooked. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 08:25:43 PM »
Never. Unless you count Fish on Friday.