Author Topic: So called "Battle Jackets" - anyone make and wear one?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
So called "Battle Jackets" - anyone make and wear one?
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »
When I was much younger, I always thought the denim jacket with band patches was bad ass. I just never made one. I can't sew, and thought iron on stuff was lame, so I never bothered. But, I always wanted to. So after looking around, I bought a denim jacket with a wash that I really liked, and have ordered a bunch of patches of bands I like.

I've gone with embroidered patches, with plans to have them sewn on. Are there any dos and don'ts for this sort of thing? Or is it basically anything goes? My backpage is obviously the Mindcrime-era Queensryche one with the skull/tri-ryche. LOL.

Anyway, it'll be a fun project, and the wife will show me how to sew if I don't want someone else to do it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Anguyen92

Re: So called "Battle Jackets" - anyone make and wear one?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 02:42:20 PM »
I hate that look so much when I see people wear them at shows, but that's just me.  Obviously, I have no experience, but I'm sure someone at there in Youtube or otherwise have made videos about how to properly sew those patches on.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 02:44:14 PM »
I hate that look so much when I see people wear them at shows, but that's just me.  Obviously, I have no experience, but I'm sure someone at there in Youtube or otherwise have made videos about how to properly sew those patches on.

Interesting. I love the jacket itself, so when I get the patches, if I feel it will be stupid, I won't do it and just enjoy the jacket. But it's more of an old school look to me. And I am decidedly more old school than you in terms of age, I am thinking.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 02:44:51 PM »
Sam, why don't you just grow a mullet too while you're at it? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »

Interesting. I love the jacket itself, so when I get the patches, if I feel it will be stupid, I won't do it and just enjoy the jacket. But it's more of an old school look to me. And I am decidedly more old school than you in terms of age, I am thinking.  :lol

It's not an age thing.  I've seen young adults with that look as well.  I just personally don't like it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 02:50:25 PM »

Who says I haven't?! :metal :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 07:30:46 PM »
I've never heard this term before. I've also never owned a denim jacket.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 07:35:16 PM »
I've never heard this term before. I've also never owned a denim jacket.

Have you heard the term..Biccardi pocket?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 07:39:56 PM »
Nope.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 07:44:30 PM »

We used to call this pocket on the inside of a jean jacket a Biccardi pocket. You could perfectly fit a flask of booze in it.
When I was taping concerts, that's where I'd keep my recorder.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 08:17:32 PM »
I've always wanted a battle jacket/vest but I live in Arizona and its 1000000 degrees during a concert.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 10:49:02 PM »
When the pandemic was hitting its stride, I wanted a battle mask... A denim mask with tiny metal band patches.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »

Who says I haven't?! :metal :lol

:lol :lol

I can't really remember, but I'm pretty sure I really wanted one back in the day, and I think I'm now glad I never did.  I had a denim jacket for a while, but I never adorned it with patches.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2022, 10:13:15 AM »
Hahahaha.

We'll see if I do this. I probably won't, as the more I think about it, the more I'd likely never wear it. The jacket itself arrives this week and is easily returnable. And the patches I bought can easily be used elsewhere.

I'm too old for the effort it would take, and probably the look.  :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 10:25:16 AM »
If you've already started down the path, I'd finish it.  It's not something I would wear around town, but I'd wear it to certain shows.  Probably would try to get it signed by certain bands too.  Would be a cool keepsake to look back on later in life when those bands are gone.  Although I guess one counter-argument to that would be, given that you're already an avid collector of a LOT of things, it would just be one more think taking up space.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »
Hahahaha.

We'll see if I do this. I probably won't, as the more I think about it, the more I'd likely never wear it. The jacket itself arrives this week and is easily returnable. And the patches I bought can easily be used elsewhere.

I'm too old for the effort it would take, and probably the look.  :rollin

This is me - I think battle jackets are fun and very metal, but I suck with a sewing machine and would only ever wear it to shows.  I don't go to too many shows anymore, so there's no point in making one. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
If you've already started down the path, I'd finish it.  It's not something I would wear around town, but I'd wear it to certain shows.  Probably would try to get it signed by certain bands too.  Would be a cool keepsake to look back on later in life when those bands are gone.  Although I guess one counter-argument to that would be, given that you're already an avid collector of a LOT of things, it would just be one more think taking up space.  :dunno:

That's just it - I haven't started. The denim jacket arrives this week, and a handful of patches too. I can easily return the jacket and the patches can be repurposed (they are from favorite bands, so not so hard.)

Grapp - I still go to shows, but eh...this was one project I should have just resisted on. The nice thing is, I haven't wasted any money.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 03:30:55 PM »
Samsara, don't let the naysayers dissuade you!  I always wanted one of those jackets; I got a leather jacket once for Christmas, so that killed that idea, but I LOVE the idea of the jean jacket with the patches.  Kiss! Rainbow!  The Rush star!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 03:43:55 PM »
Samsara, don't let the naysayers dissuade you!  I always wanted one of those jackets; I got a leather jacket once for Christmas, so that killed that idea, but I LOVE the idea of the jean jacket with the patches.  Kiss! Rainbow!  The Rush star!

Ha ha ha. No worries, it's not the naysayers. I bought to be prepared in case I wanted to do it. Once the jacket shows up, I'll consider it more fully then. I will say though...some of these folks that I've seen online take this to a whole different level of devotion. Not sure that's for me. I'm too fucking old and busy for that.  :rollin

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2022, 05:44:28 PM »
To me it should have shitty sewing or be held together by safety pins... but I come from the punk scene lol No fancy sewing is needed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 06:57:28 AM »
I would not personally do this, as it doesn't and has never held any appeal to me.

But I encourage you to do it with gusto, and to wear it with pride.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.