Author Topic: Apple Music has released a Dolby Atmos version of Scenes From A Memory  (Read 2944 times)

Offline jimgolf

It’s the first atmos mix for any DT albums to my knowledge. I’m listening through it right now and it sounds pretty rockin  :metal (although there seems to be an issue with volume levels from track to track)

Some of these atmos mixes are hit or miss, but so far this mix seems to do a good job of giving the instruments more space and allowing each instrument to be more audible. Usually the best atmos mixes are the ones that are mixed in studio when the album is made with atmos in mind(like Steven Wilson’s recent albums) - but I’ll take what we can get. Check it out  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Apple Music has released a Dolby Atmos version of Scenes From A Memory
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:04:33 AM »
Okay, I'll bite.  A what mix?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 05:07:34 AM »
Atmos. If you've got speakers above and around you, it'll use those to provide a further sense of immersion.

Atmos is also available for one and two speaker systems, virtually, but it's obviously not the same. No matter what anyone claims :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:44:18 AM »
Huh...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:15:36 AM »
Huh...

So imagine you've got 5.1 speakers aka traditional surround. Centre, left, right, rear left, rear right. And a subwoofer which is the .1 part. Atmos in this context could be expressed as 5.4.1 for which the configuration would be centre, left, right, rear left, rear right (that's the 5), upper left forward, upper left rear, upper right forward, upper right rear (that's the 4), and a subwoofer which is again the .1.

Sound can be encoded to come out of any one of those speakers at any given moment, just like in 5.1 (or stereo, for that matter).

Atmos is effectively putting you in the middle of an enriched soundstage, that's all.

Make a bit more sense? :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 08:31:53 AM »
That would be awesome if I had a surround system set up.  But that's one thing that we've never taken the time to do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 08:36:29 AM »
That would be awesome if I had a surround system set up.  But that's one thing that we've never taken the time to do.

Perhaps another day, eh?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »

Perhaps another day, eh?
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »
So... it's a remix, right? They improved the drum sound like Kevin Shirley did with PMU/TTT/AD remixes?
By the way, I searched on itunes and didn't find it. Do you have a link?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:06:16 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
So... it's a remix, right? They improved the drum sound like Kevin Shirley did with PMU/TTT/AD remixes?

Not in the same way as those mixes, no. Dolby Atmos creates wide surround sound stage of both front, back, and above sounds. If you have a good atmos system, or atmos compatible headphones(AirPods Pro, AirPods Max) it sounds really cool. The atmos mix might be available on other streaming services that support atmos, but I mainly use apple so I can’t confirm if it’s anywhere else (I used to use Tidal and they supported Atmos mixes as well). The best way I can describe it is you feel like you are in the same room as the musicians playing or in a live concert.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 02:43:04 PM »
We're planning to redo our den and buy a whole new stereo system and have it set up for Dolby Atmos. We've got a weirdly shaped room, but we'll find a way to make it work. Setting high speakers isn't a problem, but the room is just an odd shape.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
Huh...

So imagine you've got 5.1 speakers aka traditional surround. Centre, left, right, rear left, rear right. And a subwoofer which is the .1 part. Atmos in this context could be expressed as 5.4.1 for which the configuration would be centre, left, right, rear left, rear right (that's the 5), upper left forward, upper left rear, upper right forward, upper right rear (that's the 4), and a subwoofer which is again the .1.

Sound can be encoded to come out of any one of those speakers at any given moment, just like in 5.1 (or stereo, for that matter).

Atmos is effectively putting you in the middle of an enriched soundstage, that's all.

No I meant like, huh......thats mildly interesting.  Not huh?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 05:51:21 PM »
By the way, I searched on itunes and didn't find it. Do you have a link?

Just search for the band then album and click on it. There you’ll see the Atmos Dolby tag and also the Loseless tag.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 07:19:15 PM »
Huh...

Huh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 01:42:12 AM »
Huh...

:lol I did wonder. But at least someone else might have learned something new!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 01:49:10 AM »
We're planning to redo our den and buy a whole new stereo system and have it set up for Dolby Atmos. We've got a weirdly shaped room, but we'll find a way to make it work. Setting high speakers isn't a problem, but the room is just an odd shape.

I split from my partner earlier this year which meant buying a new house. The one I found is nice (I've been living here for a couple of months now), but the living room was open plan which meant I couldn't have my first Atmos set-up unless I put the speakers in the ceiling which wasn't an option due to the invasiveness required. So the alternative (apart from not doing it or really fudging it) was to have a wall built. The wall was finished a few weeks ago and I now have a lovely new separate entry hallway into the house and a splendid new living room which is symmetrical, and can have upper wall-mounted speakers exactly where I need them to be. Just needs painting now the floor has been laid. Sofa's due to arrive in about two months, and I've got a 77" TV to put on the wall. Once that's done, the speakers will be set-up and I'll finally have an Atmos set-up :biggrin:

But yeah, weirdly shaped rooms! They're often wonderful things until you want to do something that requires a degree of symmetry. Luckily(?!), I don't have a partner to please :lol
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 05:38:45 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 06:54:38 AM »
Huh...

:lol I did wonder. But at least someone else might have learned something new!

Oh no I still appreciate the explanation.  I did not go to waste.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 06:30:46 PM »
If you have an iPhone, most headphones will be able to use Dolby Atmos as well. It actually sounds pretty good on headphones like AirPods/AirPod Pros
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2022, 04:14:02 AM »
If you have an iPhone, most headphones will be able to use Dolby Atmos as well. It actually sounds pretty good on headphones like AirPods/AirPod Pros

I do not have an iphone.  :lol

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2022, 06:10:08 AM »
I’m guessing android might have a similar feature but I can’t say for sure.

Also, credit to someone on Reddit, it’s actually a lot more than just Scenes. If the full album isn’t labeled Atmos they can be hard to find, so someone checked every song. Nothing from Systematic Chaos forward at the moment

I&W: Take The Time / Surrounded / Under A Glass Moon /
Wait For Sleep / Learning To Live
Awake: 6:00 / Erotomania / The Mirror /
Fll: Hell's Kitchen
Metropolis, Pt. 2: All the album
SDOIT: The Glass Prison / Overture
TOT: As I Am / This Dying Soul / Endless Sacrifice / Honor
Thy Father Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium: The Root of All Evil / These Walls /
Octavarium
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2022, 02:26:37 PM »
So imagine you've got 5.1 speakers aka traditional surround.

How could one have 1/10th of a speaker?

Atmos in this context could be expressed as 5.4.1 for which the configuration would be centre, left, right, rear left, rear right (that's the 5), upper left forward, upper left rear, upper right forward, upper right rear (that's the 4), and a subwoofer which is again the .1.

So...I need like 20 speakers?  Do people have that kind of setup?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »
Thanks to all those who explained Atmos in this thread. This was all new to me!

Atmos in this context could be expressed as 5.4.1 for which the configuration would be centre, left, right, rear left, rear right (that's the 5), upper left forward, upper left rear, upper right forward, upper right rear (that's the 4), and a subwoofer which is again the .1.

If I had no job, no wife, no kids, no commitments, and a reasonable supply of disposable income, I would consider getting a set-up like this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 04:07:48 AM »
So imagine you've got 5.1 speakers aka traditional surround.

How could one have 1/10th of a speaker?

Heh! For what I've described, you'd need nine speakers and one subwoofer. The main left and right speakers are usually sizeable while the rest tend to be satellite or bookshelf size. It can be as expensive (or relatively inexpensive in the context) as you want it to be, really.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK