Author Topic: Hurricane Ian.....  (Read 3012 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Hurricane Ian.....
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2022, 06:48:16 AM »
My brother-in-law is in the Orlando area.  So far, he is safe and sound, hasn't lost power yet. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2022, 07:42:41 AM »
How's the Sarasota area? My boss' in-laws were instructed to evacuate and they refused, and now they haven't responded or made contact since yesterday.

Online faizoff

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2022, 07:59:56 AM »
I don't know for sure, I'm assuming they had very high storm surges and winds. I have coworkers in the Bradenton area who lost power all night amid heavy rain and flooding, and that's close to Sarasota.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2022, 08:00:27 AM »
How's the Sarasota area? My boss' in-laws were instructed to evacuate and they refused, and now they haven't responded or made contact since yesterday.
Reporting yesterday showed power outages, downed trees and debris on streets. I don't think the flooding was bad in that area.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »
Lee County Sheriff is reporting hundreds dead. That's a bit south of Sarasota though. What a tragedy.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2022, 08:53:10 AM »

My brother is a cop in Sarasota County, and his text to me today: "We got drilled."

Lee County Sheriff is reporting hundreds dead. That's a bit south of Sarasota though. What a tragedy.

Lee County is the two south of Sarasota County (Charlotte County, which got hit directly by Charlie about 2004) and where Ft. Myers and Cape Coral are.   I know Ft. Myers Beach got HAMMERED. I don't know how far that damage stretched.  My parents old condo is in Cape Coral, not far from the Caloosahatchee River and in the Zone A flood zone, but I don't have any word yet if the storm surge reached that building (mom is in memory care at a facility about five miles from there). 

The "problem" so to speak, is that saying "Lee County" doesn't really narrow it down; you've got Sanibel Island, Captiva Island and Pine Island all right off shore and they would have taken the brunt of the wind and storm surge and that's all "Lee County".  I would venture to say that most of the deaths were out that way. Not at all to say that everywhere else shouldn't worry, but there's a lot of variability in a short distance down there.  The canals can both help and hurt as well (Cape Coral has something like 400 miles of canals that ultimately feed to the Gulf) in terms of dissipating some of the storm surges. That doesn't help the beaches and islands though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 09:00:37 AM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »
By the way, anyone still watch The Weather Channel?  I did for a spell yesterday afternoon, and that crazy bastard Jim Cantore is still at it.  That fucker was out in Punta Gorda (just north of Cape Coral, in Charlotte County) and was literally just standing in the middle of the Tamiami Trail (Rte. 41, which runs from TAmpa to MIAMI) bracing himself against the wind. At one point, he got blown over, and at another he got hit with a palm frond.   I'm not sure what he's trying to prove, but it was entertaining, nonetheless.

In the spirit of the times, they made him wear one of those helmets they used to make the Little Leaguers wear, with the two earflaps.   

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2022, 09:21:34 AM »
I don't, but that particular clip has made its way across social media yesterday. I saw it posted many times. Wild stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2022, 09:33:46 AM »
By the way, anyone still watch The Weather Channel?  I did for a spell yesterday afternoon, and that crazy bastard Jim Cantore is still at it.  That fucker was out in Punta Gorda (just north of Cape Coral, in Charlotte County) and was literally just standing in the middle of the Tamiami Trail (Rte. 41, which runs from TAmpa to MIAMI) bracing himself against the wind. At one point, he got blown over, and at another he got hit with a palm frond.   I'm not sure what he's trying to prove, but it was entertaining, nonetheless.

In the spirit of the times, they made him wear one of those helmets they used to make the Little Leaguers wear, with the two earflaps.
I tuned in after they had already made him stop being out in the open.  He was around a corner (off-camera) and the roof came off a building and a road sign blew past within 30 seconds of each other.  He probably would have been injured, if not worse, if he had still been out there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2022, 10:42:01 AM »

Didn't watch the channel but did see that clip of him, really lucky it was just that small branch.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2022, 10:56:37 AM »
Hey all, just checking in. Thankfully minimal impact for me. No flooding where I live, the rain has mostly let up, and the wind is slowly calming down (still in the 40-50mph range at the moment). My power blinked out momentarily maybe half a dozen times, but that was about it.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2022, 11:06:29 AM »
Hey all, just checking in. Thankfully minimal impact for me. No flooding where I live, the rain has mostly let up, and the wind is slowly calming down (still in the 40-50mph range at the moment). My power blinked out momentarily maybe half a dozen times, but that was about it.

How much rain are you supposed to get? Some places up by you I heard could get double digit rainfalls.   What was the highest wind?  Have you ever been through that before?  Wind scares the shit out of me, personally. I've been in 70 mph winds and that's it; that was enough to make me wish for a basement to hide in! 

Glad you're okay.  :)  :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2022, 11:08:44 AM »

I watch The Weather Channel every day.  Jim Cantore isn't trying to prove anything.  He just loves what does and being out there in the thick of it.  You should see him in the middle of a thunder snow storm.  He goes fucking nuts because thunder snow is very rare.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2022, 11:45:38 AM »

I watch The Weather Channel every day.  Jim Cantore isn't trying to prove anything.  He just loves what does and being out there in the thick of it.  You should see him in the middle of a thunder snow storm.  He goes fucking nuts because thunder snow is very rare.

That was snarkier than I really meant it; I just wasn't aware of what motivates him at this point, but as I said, I do find it entertaining and informative.

Online DTA

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2022, 11:54:52 AM »
Part of my family lives in Ft. Myers and I can't get in touch with them at all. They're inland a bit and they've been through a few hurricanes so I'm hoping they didn't see any flooding and were adequately prepared enough and just not able to get a cell signal at the moment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2022, 11:55:04 AM »

As you know, I was definitely watching. At one point, it looked like he was in an entrance to a parking garage fighting the wing, and he literally was doubled over trying to recover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2022, 04:00:50 PM »
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/osceola-county/watch-drone-video-shows-extensive-flooding-around-large-hospital-kissimmee/J6RWHK3Q5NAAVC5LI25CQFQUFI/

This is a drone shot of my facility. Like most of Kissimmee we were under 3-5 feet of water. Many colleagues vehicles are destroyed. I'm still here until tomorrow at noon when team B relieves us. No clue about my house yet. As it stands, unless the water recedes substantially overnight, none of us parked in the garage you see in the video are getting out. The water is 5' deep at the garage entrance and the entire ground floor is about 4' deep. But I'm safe and that's all that counts. One more night on an air mattress.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2022, 05:18:34 PM »
I'm glad you're safe.  I hope your house is ok.  And that you're parked on the top floor of that garage. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/osceola-county/watch-drone-video-shows-extensive-flooding-around-large-hospital-kissimmee/J6RWHK3Q5NAAVC5LI25CQFQUFI/

This is a drone shot of my facility. Like most of Kissimmee we were under 3-5 feet of water. Many colleagues vehicles are destroyed. I'm still here until tomorrow at noon when team B relieves us. No clue about my house yet. As it stands, unless the water recedes substantially overnight, none of us parked in the garage you see in the video are getting out. The water is 5' deep at the garage entrance and the entire ground floor is about 4' deep. But I'm safe and that's all that counts. One more night on an air mattress.

Did not know it got that bad near Orlando, insane flooding. Glad you're ok.

I've been watching some of the storm chasers and some of the footage they have is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbeqChPvlQk&ab_channel=MaxOlsonChasing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2022, 06:28:06 PM »

That is ridiculous. So far inland at that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 06:32:40 PM »
I'm so sorry emtee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online T-ski

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2022, 06:38:50 PM »
My wife told me the causeway to Sanibel island is gone. We honeymooned down there back in ‘05.

Hope everything is okay for you Emtee, as well as everyone else dealing with this.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 07:24:22 PM »
So, my parents live in Cape Coral. They didn't go anywhere and stayed home for the hurricane. I talked to my mother Tuesday night and again Wednesday morning. I ended up calling her around 4pm yesterday after what was supposed to be the worst  and she said they had lost power at 1:30, but the weather really wasn't "that bad". She said they had some wind and rain, but only had lost part of their pool screen and some roof shingles.
Apparently the eye passed right over them, so they were spared for the most part. They did get the tail of the hurricane last night, but the last I talked with her, at 9pm, it was starting to die down. I told her I'd check in in the morning.

I tried calling her phone this morning...right to voicemail. Same with my father's phone. My understanding was that there were serious storm surges throughout the night, and I was hoping they weren't flooded out. I was actually really worried.

My mother finally texted me at 2:20 this afternoon..."We are OK. Mess to clean up outside." Wow! So I called her. Their phones were dead and they managed to charge them on their computer's battery. They lost their pool screen totally, and they had debris in their front yard. Their road is clear. I should say that most of their neighbors rode it out as well.

My mother has no clue of the devastation all around them. Cape Coral literally sat in the eye of the hurricane and it protected them. A fucking miracle.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:35:36 PM by TAC »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 08:08:45 PM »

How much rain are you supposed to get? Some places up by you I heard could get double digit rainfalls.   What was the highest wind?  Have you ever been through that before?  Wind scares the shit out of me, personally. I've been in 70 mph winds and that's it; that was enough to make me wish for a basement to hide in! 

Glad you're okay.  :)  :tup

I'm pretty sure we were forecasted to get 12-18 inches of rain, don't know what the final number actually was. Winds must have topped out above 60mph because the worst of it was probably in the 12am-5am window and we still had winds ~55mph a few hours later. Not sure if we hit 70+ though.

The only comparable experience for me was Sandy, which the storm then was worse but I also was riding it out in a basement and not by myself. I stayed up until the tornado watch expired at 1am and then managed to get a little sleep before my phone spazzing out over a flash flood warning woke me up.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
So, my parents live in Cape Coral. They didn't go anywhere and stayed home for the hurricane. I talked to my mother Tuesday night and again Wednesday morning. I ended up calling her around 4pm yesterday after what was supposed to be the worst  and she said they had lost power at 1:30, but the weather really wasn't "that bad". She said they had some wind and rain, but only had lost part of their pool screen and some roof shingles.
Apparently the eye passed right over them, so they were spared for the most part. They did get the tail of the hurricane last night, but the last I talked with her, at 9pm, it was starting to die down. I told her I'd check in in the morning.

I tried calling her phone this morning...right to voicemail. Same with my father's phone. My understanding was that there were serious storm surges throughout the night, and I was hoping they weren't flooded out. I was actually really worried.

My mother finally texted me at 2:20 this afternoon..."We are OK. Mess to clean up outside." Wow! So I called her. Their phones were dead and they managed to charge them on their computer's battery. They lost their pool screen totally, and they had debris in their front yard. Their road is clear. I should say that most of their neighbors rode it out as well.

My mother has no clue of the devastation all around them. Cape Coral literally sat in the eye of the hurricane and it protected them. A fucking miracle.

I can confirm this; it seems like the islands and the beach took the brunt of it.  I am grateful on so many levels. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2022, 02:26:33 PM »
I am also surprised at the number of forumers impacted by Ian.  Glad to hear everyone so far from here is safe.

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Twitter from people looking for missing relatives.  Heartbreaking.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline emtee

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2022, 02:58:43 PM »
Thanks so much for the thoughts. My house is fine but I feel sort of a strange sense of guilt that we are ok when so many others are not.

The water receeded almost completely overnight and I was able to go home this morning.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2022, 06:22:02 AM »
I am also surprised at the number of forumers impacted by Ian.  Glad to hear everyone so far from here is safe.

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Twitter from people looking for missing relatives.  Heartbreaking.

My brother was doing search and rescue up to Saturday (his unit may still be doing it, but that was his first time off since reporting on Tuesday morning).